snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Proposal: ban junk food adverts during kids' TV programmes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proposal: ban junk food adverts during kids' TV programmes
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6154600.stm

quote:
Junk food ads during TV programmes targeted at under-16s will be banned, under rules put forward by regulators. Ofcom says these foods include any that are high in fat, salt and sugar.

There will be a total ban on ads during children's programmes and on children's channels, as well as adult programmes watched by a large number of children.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People need to learn to take some sodding responsibility!

Child obesity isn't caused by adverts on television! People can choose to eat what they like (or in the case of children parents often have the final say).

This "it's everyone's fault by mine" culture is really starting to piss me off.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't take a lack of personal responsibility to acknowledge the role and influence the advertising industry has on our everyday lives, or to examine whether or not that influence is damaging.

I wonder if the same line of thought would work for heroin dealers - hey, I just offer it to people, they can take it or not, what happened to personal responsibility?

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not analogous. You don't start taking Heroin 'cause someone tells you they are selling it, people are often introduced to drugs by people they know.

I'm not entirely sure what your first paragraph means.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tealstar
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tealstar   E-mail tealstar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the article:

"We are in the midst of an obesity epidemic and must use all the weapons in our armoury to prevent the next generation of British children being the most obese and unhealthy in history."

All the weapons except the word "no" as spoken by parents, apparently.

--------------------
Most writers don't actually think of themselves as God.
--Orson Scott Card

Posts: 35 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where on earth does it say that parents aren't saying "no"? It surely becomes much harder to say "no" if you're being constantly nagged to go to McDonald's because the TV makes it look great, though.

What about advertising, say, alcohol during childrens' programmes? Adults watch them with children, so it wouldn't have to be aimed at the children as such. And the adult just has to say "no" when the child asks whether they can try the fun drink, after all.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of the "personal responsibility" idea seems to ignore the role that advertising and business play in influencing our decisions and the products we are exposed to, in favour of a world where we are presented objectively with different consumer choices and make our choices based on solid data. This is not the case - there is a multi-billion [dollar|pound|your currency here] industry in place using a variety of tools to influence our decisions, whether or not we are aware of it. Acknowledging this industry and questioning its place is healthy. IMO.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Terror Dactyl:
You don't start taking Heroin 'cause someone tells you they are selling it, people are often introduced to drugs by people they know.

You make it sound as if all junk food adverts do is tell you that the products exist.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Banning the ads isn't going to help. After all it's not a 5 year old you see at the checkout line in the grocery store. The adults are the people buying the products for the kids.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the contrary, banning the ads will help. As has been pointed out upthread, these adverts do not simply present a product. They do so much more than that. Yes, obviously, mom and dad need to keep control. This is just another way to help. I'll tell you what I think would be a fair compromise - target all those adverts at the people who actually **buy** the product, not the 4 yr old who is going to beg mom & dad to buy it. There is a reason though that "Sugar Bomb Cavity Crunchers" are not advertising during Desperate Housewives even though that should be the audience they are aiming at, as they hold the pursestrings. Hmm, wonder why they don't do that?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghijkmnop

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always felt a good part of the "fast food and kids" problem was all the collectible junk toys that are periodically released with so-called kids' meals.

COLLECT THEM ALL! A NEW CAR EACH WEEK!

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But you see there is this magic word that I use on my 5 year old and 16 year old. It's called "no".

But you know what, you don't always have to say no. Having McD once in a while isn't going to make you fat. The problem is when you see people feeding there kids, McD one night, Wendy's the next and BK on another night all in the same week.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tealstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tealstar   E-mail tealstar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Where on earth does it say that parents aren't saying "no"? It surely becomes much harder to say "no" if you're being constantly nagged to go to McDonald's because the TV makes it look great, though.

What about advertising, say, alcohol during childrens' programmes? Adults watch them with children, so it wouldn't have to be aimed at the children as such. And the adult just has to say "no" when the child asks whether they can try the fun drink, after all.

I may have been reading a little too much between the lines in this article, as often when I hear about some sort of ban like this, there's an attitude of "everyone except me should be responsible for what my child does." Upon rereading, I don't see that attitude, and I see it is health groups who are behind this rather than the parents, so my initial reaction was even farther off base than I thought.

--------------------
Most writers don't actually think of themselves as God.
--Orson Scott Card

Posts: 35 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in Quebec and that is where my children were first introduced to the magic of television so, for me, not having adverts during children's programming has never been an issue. I put it somewhere on the same scale as not allowing tobacco adverts. It's just not something I expect to see on television.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YudanTaiteki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YudanTaiteki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, my parents had a strict rule for breakfast cereal -- it had to have under 10 grams of sugar per serving, and it had to have a whole grain in it (occasional exceptions were made for things like Frosted Mini Wheats which have over 10 grams of sugar but also have a lot of whole grain). They were firm about this, but I think their job would have been much easier if my brother and I had not been bombarded with commercials for sugary cereals on TV.

(I think also they made a wise decision in letting us have sugary cereals for dessert after dinner -- this allowed us to be able to eat Count Chocula once in a while without having to demand it for breakfast).

If the purpose of this sort of legislation was to make it so that parents didn't have to take responsibility for their children, or if this were an attempt to put the blame entirely on the companies and advertising, I wouldn't agree with it -- but that does not seem to be the case here.

Posts: 333 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YudanTaiteki:
When I was a child, my parents had a strict rule for breakfast cereal -- it had to have under 10 grams of sugar per serving, and it had to have a whole grain in it

My mom's rule was that the first ingrediant could not be sugar. That rule wouldn't work today because it seems many cereal manufacturers (perhaps because of rules like my mother's) seem to "split" the sugar by using both sugar and HFCS. Since they use two sweeteners, neither is enough to be listed first even though the total amount of sugar was not reduced.

PS. We also had to earn points in order to be able to drink soda. And we had to have at least two fruits each day before we could have dessert (fruit juice didn't count due to the high sugar conted of even no-sugar-added juices).

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We didn't get a choice of cereal.

AND we had to walk twenty five miles, backwards, through a snowstorm, to work in t'mill, only to find out that we'd been sacked... Eeeh. Kids today don't know they're born.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You got to walk through the snow? Lucky devil. We had to sell our legs so we hopped on our stumps down roads paved with broken glass.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it very easy to tell my son no when he saw something on tv he wanted. It wasn't very hard, but he rarely ask's for something he has seen on tv except for that Floam stuff, he really wants that, but isnt getting it.

I might be in the rare minority that really doesn't buy into the commercials, I see them for what they are, they are trying to sell a product and more power to them I have the power to just watch and have the commercial not influence my decision on dinner, or what I give my son as a snack.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:
I found it very easy to tell my son no when he saw something on tv he wanted. It wasn't very hard, but he rarely ask's for something he has seen on tv except for that Floam stuff, he really wants that, but isnt getting it.

The drive to have these adverts taken off the air is not coming from weak-willed parents who "just c'aint say no" though. There is a little more to it than that.

--------------------

Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I don't get it, but it is easier to say no then to just give in. If you start telling them or explaining to them why they cannot have everything they see early on then it would not be such a problem.

I can only place so much blame on the adverts, I place much more blame on the parents/guardians of the children.

My son would eat a Happy Meal every night if we would let him, but he may get one every two weeks depending on his behaviour at school.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
However much parents say no, the kids then go out and spend their pocket money on junk food. There is peer pressure. I see them hanging round fast food outlets during school lunchtime and after school.

The TV ads are brainwashing kids into wanting fast food daily while portraying people in such ads as slim. Maybe if they showed spotty obese people with fast food, kids would think twice as it would show that daily fat and sugar won't make you look like that fit celebrity in the ad.

I foresee a rise in "placement ads" where characters in shows supposedly aimed at adults are shown consuming fast food.

When I visited friends in the Netherlands and treated the family to a McDonalds, the kids were ecstatic. They told me that most Dutch parents don't let their children eat fast food regularly. The Happy Meal I got the kids was seen as a real treat - perhaps once or twice a month as part of a family outing so it became an "occasion".

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
McDonalds was and still is treated as an occasion here. Somehow me and my Brother grew up not wanting to eat junk all the time. Not sure why. We always got good meals at home and I guess a properly cooked roast is so much more appetising and good for you than a microwave ready meal.

On which point, I suspect that the issue here is people who never eat properly, rather than the occasional trip to McDonalds. People whose entire diet consists of ready meals and takeaways. I've been fortunate, my home cooked food is much nicer, cheaper and better for you than any ready meal or takeaway.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
McDonald's used to be something of a treat when I was little. I started eating more as I got older, but now I rarely want to eat at McDonald's/Burger King/Wendy's. When I do eat Wendy's, I'll often get madarin oranges and a baked potato instead of a burger. I'm just not big on fast-food burgers. My problem is too much Taco Bell.

Advertising can influence a family's purchasing, but ultimately, the parents can say no to buying junk food or giving their kids money to buy chips at school. A total ban seems to be a bit much.

Junk food sold at schools is probably a larger problem. I would see kids buying two or three bags of chips as "lunch". I don't know about banning it entirely, again, but there's got to be a way to cut down on that.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I eat mcdonalds on the occasion,only had it three times this year. I don't necessairly think that food advertisers are trying to make kids fat, but if health groups are concerned, I bet they could try talking to the companies about their concerns. Does the article provide a study result that links junk food advertising to obesity?

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I was up fairly early this morning, so I caught some of the advertising in question (the ban will not come into force until next year). Ye gads, it's not far from saying "Unless your parents buy you this stuff, they're evil and don't love you".

The McDonalds ad, narrated by a child, referred to all the "yummy food" and "great fun toys" you could get at McDonalds and what a great time everyone has there.

Edit: Spelling and grammar.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, I don't think the issue is whether parents say "no" or "yes" to their little angels nagging them for junk food. I think the issue is whether we should allow hugely manipulative adverts that tell impressionable people (i.e. children) that they have to have such and such chocolate bar or this bit of plastic crap that has blinking lights or go to a particular theme park to be happy.

I would like to see all adverts aimed at children banned (especially those aimed at primary age and below) as I think their brains are not delveloped enough and their life experience too limited to understand they are having their choices and preferences dictated for them.

I'm sure someone will argue that everyone is manipulated by the media and children need to learn through watching adverts how to avoid being sucked in by promises that products will make them happy. I think that stance avoids the fact that adverts aimed at children seem to be far more blatant in their manipulation than most adverts aimed at adults. It's like BringtheNoise says- a lot of adverts directed at children equate to emotional blackmail.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A prediction: companies with big money products labelled as "unhealthy" will begin running lines of very similar but not-as-unhealthy products with similar packaging and names. Then they run advertisements for those products, de-emphasizing the "low-calorie" aspects of the product and simply the brand name.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages