snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Why are we here? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why are we here?
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The biggest, heaviest, most though provoking question EVER . . .

Rules: No flaming. All religions/non-religions are welcome to add to the discussion. I want deep, thought-provoking discussion that will make us all think, etc. etc.

I'll share my views if requested and after I've carefully considered them.

[/odd beginning post]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To discuss and research urban legends, of course.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really, honestly tried to come up with a big comeback but failed miserably.

*humbly bows*

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:

Amen.

Why's this thread posted to this forum, anyway?

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non Ť vero, Ť ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a question I used to ask whilst still a Christian. Furthermore I asked if God truly loves us then why are we here to be tempted by the Devil.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:

Amen.

Why's this thread posted to this forum, anyway?

-- Bonnie

It was either here or Soapbox Derby. I figured most answers would lean towards religion, so I chose to put it here. If a mod deems it to belong somewhere else, please do move it to the correct area.

--------------------

AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow Relicman, you read my mind. I was going to post a similar thread in soapbox (I probably still will.)

I guess I would put it in terms of efficient and final causality. As a priest-professor of mine would say, "Man finds himself between God and God." That is, God created us, and God is our destination. So, please bear with this brief overview of salvation history.

God, in an act of overflowing (although not necessary) love, created us in his own image. We were meant for friendship with God. However, because of the sin of disobedience and pride of our first parents, our intellects were darkened, our wills disordered, and original justice was lost. However, God began to call humanity back to Himself, first through the covenants with Noah and Abraham, then through the Law, and finally through repentance through the prophets. However, humanity did not (and perhaps could not) entirely respond to this call. Therefore, God sent his Son (the Verbum, the second person of the Trinity), who restored our obedience through the ultimate act of obedience and love, his death on a cross. In order to show our true end, and to give us hope, he was raised from the dead. He then sent his Spirit out upon the world, so that it might know and love Him and know its purpose.

Thus, to the question, why are we here, it must be said that we are here to love and to serve God and one another so that one day we might be restored to full friendship with God and see God face to face. To quote St. Athanasius, "God became man, so that man might become god."

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are we here?

Well, where else would we be?

Personally, I think its random chance. The chances of a world having the right conditions for life are infintesimally small. But, in an (essentially) infinite universe, billion to one chances will crop up here and there. So why do we exist? Random chance. Why do we exist HERE? Because this planet had the right conditions to nurture life.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reminded of a "Calvin & Hobbes" strip. Here it is, as close as I can remember

Calvin: Paul Gaughin once said, "Who are we? Whence do we come? Where are we going?" Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a kid with big plans, I came from my room and I'm going outside! See ya! (walks out of panel. Then, poking his head back into the last panel) Say, who is Paul Gaughin, anyway?

Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 217 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The simple sarcastic answer is one day for whatever reason Mom & Dad had sex...

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're here to better the world for those that come after us.

(some of us are really screwing that up though)

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aaron
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say that I really know (and neither does anyone else, no matter how confident they are about their beliefs), but I tend to lean toward the idea that the existence of universe is just a freak occurance with no real purpose at all. Even if there is a purpose, I don't think we would be capable of fully understanding it.

I think biological life is just a strange by-product of the physical laws of the universe and that there isn't any deeper meaning for our existence. It's interesting that something as complex as life exists, but I don't see any reason to believe that it's part of some greater plan.

I'm not absolutely convinced of the correctness of my belief and would change my views if I heard a compelling argument that they were wrong. However, I would never accept a belief system based purely on faith. I'm aware that I don't have all the answers. I'm also aware that nobody else does either, even though many people are convinced that they do.

--------------------
(insert witty remark here)

Posts: 229 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Westminister Catechism said that the 'chief end of man' was to "glorify God and enjoy him forever."

The Baltimore Catechism says that God made us in order to "serve and love Him in this world and to be happy with Him in the next."

"God is Love." In order to love, one must have something TO love, which is why He created the world. And, if one loves, one desires to be loved back. Which is why He created us--to love Him back of our own free will. Thus, as a mark of His love, He voluntarily limited His omnipotence.

Eminent poets, and still more eminent philosophers and theologians, have discussed the matter extensively, and written down their discussions in many books. Hie thee to the nearest library and begin reading.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stryder
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stryder   E-mail Stryder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Deity is all there is, so because being everything is kinda boring, we split with ourselves and we now are God, playing hide and seek with ourselves.
Posts: 22 | From: Buffalo, MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We exist because, if we didn't exist, we wouldn't have asked the question.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cogito ergo sum.

How do you know there is a 'we' You can be certain of your own existance, but for all you know, everything around you could be a construct of your own mind. Including this post.

And if so, where is 'here'? [Wink]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who says we are here? (After all, Descartes didn't say "I think, therefore all of us am.")

(Spanked - EddyLizard was channeling me, not the other way around. I'm just a slower typist.)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not?
Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
Who says we are here? (After all, Descartes didn't say "I think, therefore all of us am.")

(Spanked - EddyLizard was channeling me, not the other way around. I'm just a slower typist.)

I don't know what channeling means in this context. If it's an offensive thing I apologise, but I had no idea you were posting essentially the same point.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
Because.

Because he sky is blue, it makes me cry. [Smile]

--------------------

I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No one knows a definitive answer for all Life. If there is, in fact, a spiritual existence outside of our space-time, perhaps the answer is, "To experience D/divinity and E/eternity" as it appears these are only experiences possible in life, in the Here and Now.

Even Dante (who eerily enough proposes more of an Eastern answer) has the dead in Heaven just in an infinite state of Beholdingness, standing before God. But that's not an experience as we know it, as experience relies entirely upon space-time.

And if there isn't any spiritual life or being(s) outside...well, maybe the Why is, in biological essence, "to sustain your ecosystem(s)." But thatís only a very core answer. The Why, of course, is completely determined by your own life and decisions.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LíEau IímNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're here to come up with our own answers as to why we're here. Our responsibility is to come up with good answers and then live our lives accordingly.

Myself, I'm here to share thoughts, feelings, ideas, and experiences with my fellow beings. Sometimes I do it by reading or writing books, sometimes I do it by posting on message boards, sometimes I do it by singing or listening to songs, sometimes I do it by listening to or giving sermons at my church, sometimes I do it by listening to other people's problems and troubles, sometimes I do it by reading to, talking to, playing with, or listening to children....

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're mammals: we're here to eat, fight, vocalize, court, mate, raise young, and strive for the good of the herd/pride/band/etc.

As anthropoid hominids, we're especially good at vocalizing and mating.

As *intelligent* hominids, we've stumbled onto this thing called "fire" (technology) with which we have not fully come to grips. For the first time in earth's long history, a species has the *choice* of the matter of its own extinction.

So, up until the 1850's or so, we were here for the same reason as Julius Caesar, or the Pharoah Rameses, or Fred Flintstone: to feed, fight, and fornicate.

But we -- we, alive today -- have a much deeper responsibility: we have been handed, willy nilly, a task that no living things ever have known before.

We must answer the question: what are we now, what are we going to become, and...why are we here?

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're here to collect data. [Wink]

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If by "thought provoking" you mean "meaningless", then yes...

The whole concept of there being a single "purpose" for "us" seems quite bizarre. we are here (philosophical ponderings aside), through God, evolution, random chance, the Ancients re-seeding the galaxy, or whatever other source you may choose to believe in. we create our own meaning, as individuals and as an increasingly connected society, based around our needs and desires.

the idea of a single "purpose" for us as a whole is IMO irrational.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Well by thought provoking, I do indeed mean thought provoking.

Most people should know that the question isn't really answerable. It's a springboard to consider things outside of their daily lives and ponder why things are the way they are, regardless of what caused them to be that way.

Is that so wrong?

--------------------

jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RelicMan, I've long since stopped pondering the imponderable, so your thought provoking exercise has worked. It's times like these that I often wish I could re-discover the blind faith I had in my youth. Then again, I'm equally happy to have had those shackles organised religion brought to me removed. [Wink]

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are here. We are created to serve God or to reject Him.

Each of us who chooses to serve Him must find the best way to do that with our temperaments, skills, interests, desires, wants....

And we are here to tell those who choose to reject God that God is still Love and Justice perfected. He is Mercy and Fairness. He is Paradox.

But above all, He is God and we are His.

Lady "thoughtful" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm here for the amusement factor. Finding something amusing about everything, somehow.

km "off laughing maniacally in the corner"cm

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because if we weren't here, we wouldn't be able to think about the question. To even have the question exist requires the existence of an "us" who have to be "here."

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Why are we here" isn't a hard question to answer, it's just very vague.

What caused us to be here?
A man and a woman loving each other very much, at the correct point in the woman's menstrual cycle.

What biological purpose do I have?
Survive and propogate your genes. Get to it!

What moral/spiritual purpose do I have?
None really. You can pull one out of the air if you like. It's as good a way to find a purpose as any, and you might have a better time of it. (Of course, this is where a few people are likely to disagree.)

Why am I here?
Someone had to be. If not you, who else?

Why am I here?
Because that's where the computer is.

Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never found it necessary to wonder about the why. It seems a fruitless avenue to pursue. After all, whether we're here for a good reason or not, we're here. I think the better question is 'now that we're here what do we do about it?'

Have fun, take care of the people you love, leave the universe a better place than it was when you found it. Those work for me.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^^^ what CannonFodder said.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages