snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Rumsfeld stepping down!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rumsfeld stepping down!!!
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eisenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by A Fish Called DawnStorm:
Rumsfeld to America: Screw you guys! I'm going home!

It is unusual for a beginning cabinet secretary to stay with a two term presidency for all eight years. Do you feel all of them are sending this message? If not, could you name some Democrats whose resignation should be interpreted as "screw you," or is this just a GOP or neoconservative thing?
So it's just coincidence that he resigned just as the Dems take control of Congress and likely launch an investigation into his handling of policy in Iraq, which most people consider a failure?

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rumsfeld: 'My Half-Assed Job Here Is Done'

[lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
So it's just coincidence that he resigned just as the Dems take control of Congress and likely launch an investigation into his handling of policy in Iraq, which most people consider a failure?

I don't think it was necessarily timed in such a way. The AP reported that Bush met with Gates on the Sunday before the elections. It seems that Rumsfeld's resignation has been in the works for at least a week prior.

More so, Rumsfeld had attempted to resign shortly after the Abu Ghraib scandal hit (twice, in writing, is what he told Bob Woodward). Bush adamantly refused to accept his leave. As the year progressed, Andrew Card told Woodward that he even attempted to corral Laura into the fold, to get her to prod the suggestion into her husband. It's unclear if any such discussion ever graced the marital sheets.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

First Munchkin: He resigned! The Rusmfeld resigned!

Second Munchkin: Then this is a day of independence
For all the Americans and their descendants!

Cheney: If any!

First Munchkin: Then let the joyous news ring on:
The wicked old Rumsfeld at last is gone!

All Munchkins:

Ding-dong, the Rummy's gone!
Which old Rummy?
The Rumsfeld, dummy!
Ding-dong, the wicked Rummy's gone!

He's gone where retired pols vector,
The private sector! The private sector!
Ding-dong, the wicked Rumsfeld's gone!

He's gone but he wasn't fired,
He "retired!" Yah, he "retired!"
So ring the bells and sing....

Ding-dong, old Rummy's gone,
Good and gone,
A new day's dawned,
Ding-dong, the wicked Rumsfeld's gone!

Brad "why do I expect a flash of fire and a smell of sulfur?" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice work, Brad! We'll need the next refrain, soon, when John Bolton gets dismissed from his slippers/mustache/position.

ETA: Hmmm, "next refrain" is redundant, isn't it? Pffft, stupid words.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who gets the creeps just by seeing his photo?

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Suppose the Republican leadership decides the best way to maintain control of the White House in 2008 is to have a sitting vice-president who will run for president
Why would they think that? Sitting vice-presidents rarely win election to the presidency. I think George H.W. Bush has been the only one to accomplish the feat in more than a century.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
Suppose the Republican leadership decides the best way to maintain control of the White House in 2008 is to have a sitting vice-president who will run for president
Why would they think that? Sitting vice-presidents rarely win election to the presidency. I think George H.W. Bush has been the only one to accomplish the feat in more than a century.

- snopes

LBJ & Truman were both elected in their own right after completing the term of their predecessor.

Edited to add: I forgot Nixon! There was a gap of two presidents between his serving as VP & being elect as Prez.

ETA2: This is your chance to reply with a 'we'd all like to forget Nixon' comment or other Nixon joke... someone? anyone?

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Il-Mari
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Il-Mari         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And Gore came very close to being elected as well - surely the margin wasn't so large so as to make it seem unlikely that a vice-President could win the office.

- Il-Mari

--------------------
When you mix faith with science, you serve neither and weaken both.

- Richard P. Sloan and Larry VandeCreek

Posts: 1094 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Tinker(diving)bell:
LBJ & Truman were both elected in their own right after completing the term of their predecessor.

Edited to add: I forgot Nixon! There was a gap of two presidents between his serving as VP & being elect as Prez.

Psst.....none of them were sitting vice presidents. Unless there is a plan to replace Cheney then do in Bush, those examples aren't applicable.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Tinker(diving)bell:

Psst.....none of them were sitting vice presidents. Unless there is a plan to replace Cheney then do in Bush, those examples aren't applicable.
You're right. I am very tired after a long day. I am tucking in my tail & retreating from the discussion before I lose control over spelling and grammar.

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And Gore came very close to being elected as well - surely the margin wasn't so large so as to make it seem unlikely that a vice-President could win the office.
But clearly being vice-president doesn't confer much of an advantage on a candidate. In fact, I'd say it's generally a considerable disadvantage -- a vice-president doesn't have much opportunity to do anything to distinguish himself, and he is inevitably associated with the current administration's policies, whether or not he agreed with (or had a hand in shaping) them.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages