snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » O'Reilly in trouble again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: O'Reilly in trouble again
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has got to be illegal

Is it me, or is the congressman's investigation a little sketchy? I suspect he's using potentially "unreported rape or child abuse" as an excuse to crack down on abortion doctors and further his political career.

A few legal questions:

1. What exactly are the laws about doctors/therapists reporting rape and child abuse? I know they're supposed to keep information confidential, but I know in certain cases mental health professionals are required by law to report abuse to the authorities.

2. I also suspect what Kline and O'Reilly did was illegal. The legality of their actions is apparently still under investigation, but I'm pretty sure disclosing medical information to a talk show host is illegal.

3. What are the laws on late-term abortion? I've heard conflicting evidence depending on which side presented it. I think it probably varies by state, but I would assume a particularly conservative state like Kansas doesn't allow it. I've alos never heard of maternal depression being a reason for abortion.

This whole situation is pretty fishy, and it's not because I'm whacking anyone with a halibut.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. What exactly are the laws about doctors/therapists reporting rape and child abuse? I know they're supposed to keep information confidential, but I know in certain cases mental health professionals are required by law to report abuse to the authorities.
Child abuse can be reported by any medical person. In VA (as far as I've been taught) it is optional to report it, as opposted to say, elder abuse, for which reporting is mandetory. As for rape, that can only be reported if the victim gives permission, usually we (as medical people) try to at least convince the victim to get the rape kit so if they choose to press charges/report the crime in teh future there will be evidance available.

quote:
2. I also suspect what Kline and O'Reilly did was illegal. The legality of their actions is apparently still under investigation, but I'm pretty sure disclosing medical information to a talk show host is illegal.
Unless they are medical people then I doubt it, I know I am bound by HIPAA but my friend Joe is not, were I to tell him some sensitive information about a patient, or were he to find papers I had on them, he would be free to tell whoever he wanted.. That said if the information was stolen he would of course be responsible for that, as would I if it could be proven the infomration was not stored as well as it should have been.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O'Reilly most carefully doesn't say that abortions are being done for depression. He implies it, alleging that "on almost every medical sheet ... it says 'depression'", but he doesn't state as fact that the abortions are being done because of depression, leaving his audience to conclude that Those Evil Women Are Murdering Their Helpless Precious Preborn Poppets For No Reason At All.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know little about abortion, but does the woman have to have a reason to get one, or are abortion doctors supposed to perform the operation whenever it's requested? (I assume if it would jeopardize the woman's health, the doctor would probably refuse to give an abortion.)

I still don't understand the inclusion of depression in this article. Is it that mothers who are clinically depressed are thought to be unfit to have children, therefore doctors advise abortion? Do they have abortions BECAUSE they are depressed, or do they become depressed because of an unwanted pregnancy and the decision whether or not to have an abortion? If it was me, I would probably be feeling pretty depressed, too. This whole thing doesn't make sense. It sounds like O'Reilly is suggesting that this doctor uses flimsy reasoning to give unnecessary abortions.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know little about abortion, but does the woman have to have a reason to get one, or are abortion doctors supposed to perform the operation whenever it's requested? (I assume if it would jeopardize the woman's health, the doctor would probably refuse to give an abortion.)
Late term abortions however (the definition probobly varies, over here its past 24 weeks) are different though, generally they are only allowed when specific circumstances are present (the most universal probobly being the mothers life is in danger were she to continue with the pregnancy).

quote:
I still don't understand the inclusion of depression in this article. Is it that mothers who are clinically depressed are thought to be unfit to have children, therefore doctors advise abortion? Do they have abortions BECAUSE they are depressed, or do they become depressed because of an unwanted pregnancy and the decision whether or not to have an abortion? If it was me, I would probably be feeling pretty depressed, too.
I think they are suggesting that the doctor is drumming up reasons (in this case depression) to go through with late-term abortions.

quote:
This whole thing doesn't make sense. It sounds like O'Reilly is suggesting that this doctor uses flimsy reasoning to give unnecessary abortions
This is usually how any piece O'Reilly does turns out.

--------------------

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:

I haven't looked up the laws in Kansas, but most states restrict abortions in the third (and sometimes the second) trimester. Many states require a medical reason for late-term abortions, and depression happens to be cause enough most of the time.

quote:
I still don't understand the inclusion of depression in this article. Is it that mothers who are clinically depressed are thought to be unfit to have children, therefore doctors advise abortion? Do they have abortions BECAUSE they are depressed, or do they become depressed because of an unwanted pregnancy and the decision whether or not to have an abortion? If it was me, I would probably be feeling pretty depressed, too. This whole thing doesn't make sense. It sounds like O'Reilly is suggesting that this doctor uses flimsy reasoning to give unnecessary abortions.
It would be easy for an unscrupulous doctor to list depression as a reason for a late-term abortion since there are usually few (if any) physical signs for depression. If a woman wanted an abortion but didn't have a "true" medical reason, depression would be the easiest thing for the doctor to declare on the medical forms.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

It still seems like an odd reason to have an abortion. Couldn't an abortion possibly make depression worse?
Mickey Blue

quote:
It still seems like an odd reason to have an abortion. Couldn't an abortion possibly make depression worse?
Depends why your depressed I guess, could make it worse, could make it better, could have no impact.

That said, in general, a diagnosis of "depression" alone does seem somewhat of a flimsy reason, however I hesisitate to take anything O'Reilly says at face value, mainly because he has lied in the past (and stretched truthes more times then I can count).

-Mike

--------------------

moonfall86

^I accidentally read your location as "vagina."
Can Freudian slips be applied to reading?

I probably just need my glasses cleaned.

Mickey Blue

I am posting right now from my L&D rotation, so you could be more right then you know..

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages