snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Do children of gay parents develop differently?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do children of gay parents develop differently?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite three decades of research on gay parenting, social scientists cannot conclusively determine whether children raised by homosexuals develop differently, for better or worse, than those raised by heterosexuals.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-surrogacyside1xoct30,1,7007091.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course they don't! We all know that children of gay parents frequently develop third arms or extra heads....or was that frogs exposed to raditation?
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem I see in trying to get a straight answer out of all of this is that children of straight parents all develop differently. It's not like straight parents all raise children who are like X and gay parents would raise children who are all like Y. Straight parents raised George W. Bush, and straight parents raised me. And we are two extremely different people.

A lot more than sexual orientation and sex of the parents goes into determining how their kids will turn out.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
Of course they don't! We all know that children of gay parents frequently develop third arms or extra heads....or was that frogs exposed to raditation?

Neither. It was frogs whose parents are brother and sister.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope you realize that was a (perhaps poor) attempt at sarcasm.

MapleLeaf, I find it amusing you're trying to find a "straight" answer to a question about gays. Just a bad pun...

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the article, both sides acknowledge that they would need a large number of cases to reach a meaningful conclusion. I suspect that they would need a longitudinal study. I also think they'd need to break things out somewhat and compare:

• children adopted by same-sex couples to children adopted by heterosexual couples
  • children raised by one biological parent and a same-sex partner to children raised by a parent and a stepparent
  • IVF children of lesbian couples to IVF children born to married women who used sperm from someone other than their husbands

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like there are so many factors to consider that there is no way this study could be useful at any level..

Beyond all that, who decides what is "good"? I mean there are some obvious things, if your kid grows up to be a criminal thats bad, but what about promescuity, or atheism, or fundimentalism, or anything else? Are they good? Bad? Other?

One person may see a kid who grows up to be a promiscuous atheist to be a bad thing, another may think it a good (or at best neutral) thing, and thats not even getting into the second teir of definitions such as what is "promiscuous"? Some may think having sex before marriage is..

Whew, my head already hurts, needless to say I do not see how any study could be resonably crafted that could possibly render anything resembling useful data.. And of course even if one did each side would simply keep their own views anyways..

Better to just take the money they were gonna use for that and donate it to the SPCA.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, two children raised by the same parents develop differently.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages