snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Weirdest phobia you ever heard of. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Weirdest phobia you ever heard of.
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Phone calling is definately a phobia of mine. It's one reason I am still stuck in my house without child care, etc, because I cannot bring myself to call people. It's irrational, and people tell me I just need to quit being shy and do it- but it's not as simple as that. If I have a call I absolutely -have- to make I will start shaking at the very thought of dialing, and I've started into a panic attack knowing I had to make the call. If someone calls me it isn't so bad, just like I can answer phones in a work setting because they are making the connection.

I also have the same issue with asking for help in a store or asking for directions. I'll just turn around and walk out, or be lost until I almost run out of gas. Full-on panic.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a couple of nice ones.
Being afraid of spiders is fairly common. Being so afraid of spiders that I can't even touch a picture of one on a page because I'm afraid of the picture is a little more extreme and weird.

I'm also afraid of structures. If it's above the ground, I don't totally trust that it's going to stay up. I almost had a panic attack walking on a second story pedestrian bridge in Las Vegas. It gets particularly bad when a semi or something heavy goes by on the street and I can feel whatever structure I'm on vibrating from the passing. I can't look out my fifth story floor windows, I can't look down from walkways in museums on such (despite the fact that sometimes that overlook is really really cool), and I was literally shaking when forced to climb to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral.

ETA: I'm not afraid of falling off these structures, or anything like that. My thoughts run more like "What if this wasn't built correctly, and I step in the wrong place, and it just can't take it anymore, and it cracks and falls apart?" And it doesn't seem to matter if the silly thing is 2 months old or 200 years old...I feel this way about driving on the new Wacouta Bridge and about climbing on St. Paul's Cathedral.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind calling people. It's receiving calls. Ever since a particularly upsetting death in the family, I'm afraid that when a family member calls, it's to say someone else has died.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

fish waffles
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. In fact, whenever anyone in my family leaves a message on my answering machine, they say "Just calling to say hi, no big deal" or similar, just to stop me stressing out about it.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid of heights, but only if I can see the ground. If I'm standing on any sort of surface that I see through (like a grate), I'm freaked out. Ladders? Terrified. Looking out the window on the 20-somethingth floor of a hotel, I'm fine.

Also, I'm not afraid of small spaces (in fact I have a slight "denning" instinct, used to sit under tables and read in closets as a kid) but I hate being in a situation where i can't easily get away. I guess I don't like being trapped. If I'm in the middle of a crowd, or in a room where I can't easily get to the door, I start to feel a little panicky. In univeristy I always had to sit at the endof the row as close to the exit as possible.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not keen on dead wasps either. I saw a dead one at my grandmas when I was a kid and somebody told me the stinger in them is still active (is that true btw?) and get mildly squicked out by them too.

Cockroaches. I've never seen a cockroach, except at a creepy crawly exhibition,m just the thought of them creeps me out.

Celery. Now, I like celery but one time I had a dead beetle stuck inside the grooves of a piece of celery. On the odd occasion I do eat it now, I've got to inspect every piece for hidden insects.

Earwigs. They creep me out far more than spiders, thankfully I hardly ever see them. The last one I saw was in a pack of organic blackberries I got from Tesco this year. I now make sure all my fruit and veg have been treated with every chemical known to man before I touch them.

The fruit and vegetable isle in supermarkets. I've heard too many stories of black widows or tree frogs being brought in with exotic produce. I now carefully examine all produce before I buy for nasties before putting it into my trolley.

Foreign packages. My ex took great delight in telling me about the huge spider which jumped out of a box of computer parts he opened from China. It's entirely possible he made it up but has put the idea of nasties lurking into my head.

Now I will post some shiny, happy things and try and convince you all I'm not totally neurotic.

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
I watched a cartoon where a hat almost got washed down a gutter,

*look of delight* Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet?

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Indeed.
moonfall86

Filet O' Waffles.
Miss Rosa
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Rosa         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm, not sure where these came from but the following give me the creeps:

Basement lighting (bare lightbulbs). Causes creeping anxiety and other escalating unpleasant awarenesses.

Fifties Moderne furniture, especially white-blonde oak and Amoeba Moderne. Cannot stand to be in the same room with it.

Posts: 30 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages