snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Weirdest phobia you ever heard of. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Weirdest phobia you ever heard of.
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though not unusual, I use to be quite acrophobic. I've heard people describe it as feeling they or people with it feel like they'd throw themselves from high places but I never felt I would be involved. I felt as if I would be thrown off the high place, or that I would fall, but never of my own doing. Sky-diving helped me a great deal but generally if I'm in a high place, I can't be there for very long. Still, I'm much more nonchalant than I use to be.

I have no idea what it would be called but during my late 20s and into my late 30s I had a fear whenever stopped at night next to another car [to my left], that someone in the car next to me was going to shoot me in the head. I would become so anxious and fearful, I'd try to pull up away from them. A time or two, when I pulled a little ahead, and the other car did likewise, I floored it across the intersection. I never was able to recall if I checked the intersection was clear, but thankfully it was. What else do you call such a deep yet irrational fear of something if not a phobia? And if it is a phobia, what is the name of it? Or was I just too crazy to realize I was insane? Thankfully it's gone now. I had long talks with myself because it was just so ridiculous but no one can understand the complete terror that took hold of me, sitting at a traffic light, just waiting for that bullet, that must be coming, to go through my head.

ETA: I have to add this was before drive-by and random shootings became so popular. Nowdays this wouldn't be such an irrational fear.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
My own weird phobia? Balloons. My whole life. One year at college, we threw a huge party/event that featured gigantic balloons floating all around the room. My nerves were basically shattered.

I used to be absolutely terrified of balloons -- it stemmed from an uncle that released a bunch of balloons at my birthday part when I was about 4. For some reason, the idea that they could escape and I would never see them again terrified me, and for years, I would have nothing to do with them. At a restaurant my family frequented, the waitresses would often tie balloons to the back of children's chairs, so the children could take them home after the meal. This sent me into hysterics every time they tried. My parents had to preemptively ask them not to bring any balloons near me.
I've since gotten over this fear, but I still don't particularly like blowing them up, or watching other people blow them up, for fear that they will pop in my (or their) face. ::shudders at the thought::

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Thanks for reminding me...

I have a fear of eternity. As in...what happens after we die and the Earth is destroyed when the Sun explodes? Does time continue on forever and ever and never stop? That scares me.

I used to worry about this, but now I'm quite sure that we'll be ready when that time comes, and will be able to get off of this planet in life-sustaining spaceships. We've come a long way in only a few thousand years, think of where we'll be in billions.
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Witch:
You know, I'd never seen this before, but I really feel for that girl, and it pissed me off that people laughed about it. [flame] I'm the same way about needles. A true phobia is NOT something to laugh at or ridicule for; it will make it worse. Forcing the stimulus on someone will make it worse.

Yeah, Maury wasn't exactly helping the situation there, was he? I don't even think he was trying, I think he was having a great time making a public embarrassment of that poor girl. He even told her at one point, "Stop crying." Um, yeah that'll work.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maggots, and anything that writhes, for that matter.

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
foxyleah3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxyleah3   E-mail foxyleah3   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How's this for weird? I am terrified of Muppets. Not all puppets, just Muppets. It started off that the Swedish Chef scared me as a kid, but for some reason the fear has worsened as I have gotten older, and now I don't like any of them. I guess I must have had a nightmare about them at some point to cause this, but I don't remember having one.

Also, whenever I am on a ledge without a railing, I feel like I will throw myself off. Sometimes I even fear that I will drive into traffic when I am the first car at a red light. I guess it is a fear that I will lose self-control?

I also have a fear that I will be the last person to post in a thread and therefore feel that I have "killed" it. [Smile]

--------------------
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Posts: 119 | From: always a coast | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 81 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U.T. Raptor:
Maggots, and anything that writhes, for that matter.

This only bothers me if I envision them crawling under my skin. Videos of botfly larvae and any other living thing that burrows into skin just freaks me out. I've had nightmares to this effect where I've woke up screaming.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a fear of spider webs, and by extension spiders, but the web itself causes far more terror than the arachnid.

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cathy Jones
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cathy Jones     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The strangest phobia I can remember goes back to the 70s. Back then there was a TV show called Real People. The woman who hosted it was Sarah Purcell. Back then I remember watching a news report about some woman in Iowa I think who had this bad phobia of...Sarah Purcell !! She would be fine anytime of the day and night but when the site of Purcell appears and back then it was a lot, she would be so scared as if Sarah Purcell was going to kill her.

Since it has been years since Sarah Purcell has been seen on TV, I wonder if this woman has another fear of someone else?

My uncle has a fear of the internet. Last year he went to our local Best Buy and paid big bucks for a new PC. We thought he finally got over that fear but no. He bought the PC only to write letters and play games.

Posts: 41 | From: Fredericksburg, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Manzanita SOL
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manzanita SOL   E-mail Manzanita SOL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Toilets. When I was little, I remember being fine with them, at one point, but while I was still young, my sister told me that the potty monster from Look Who's Talking was going to "get me." I don't actually blame her, but there is some suspicion...

I can deal with a regular toilet. I just handle my business, wash my hands, then flush it with a paper towel and run like the dickens. Public toilets, I can only use in an absolute emergency (and I think it's just evil that the only stall that the door opens OUTWARD for a quick escape is the handicap stall, which I feel guilty using if there are other open ones.) Automatic flush toilets give me panic attacks, as a group of strangers was amused to find out when I HAD to use the restroom at Disneyworld. That's the second of two times I ever used an automatic toilet.

The only other thing I can think of is germs. I wouldn't call it a phobia, but I am extremely tense if am in a kitchen or bathroom that I have not scrubbed clean myself (my mother loves this). In social settings, I've learned to deal with it, and kitchens don't bother me nearly as much, but I won't use the bathroom unless I can get home, if I can help it. My own is bleached everyday (admittedly, I only feel it needs to be wiped down every day, and the spray cleaner I use to do so happens to be Clorox).

My mom's bathroom is just down the hall, and it's dark over there, and I am shuddering just thinking about it.

Edited, because UBB really isn't HTML.

--------------------
Take a step outside the planet,
Then turn around and round
Take a look at where you are
It's pretty scary.
--"Turnaround" - Nirvana

Posts: 60 | From: Richmond (Glen Allen), VA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if it was a phobia or something else, by former Mets catcher Mackey Sasser had an inability to throw the ball back to the pitcher without pumping several times, or walking halfway to the mound.

It pretty much destroyed his career.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Call Of Cthulhu RPG has a long list of phobias - my favourites being Dendrophobia (fear of trees) and Barophobia (fear of gravity).

That aside... what could be worse than the dreaded Pantophobia (fear of everything)?

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
Not sure if it was a phobia or something else, by former Mets catcher Mackey Sasser had an inability to throw the ball back to the pitcher without pumping several times, or walking halfway to the mound.

That sounds more like OCD.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:

That sounds more like OCD.
Could be. He had no problem throwing the ball to second base, or fielding a bunt and throwing to first. It was just throwing back to the pitcher that stumped him.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My fear is realistic dolls, and mannequins. I get nervous at malls and last year, a store had a life-size cowboy in front of their store, which moved its arms and said "Howdy" whenever anyone passed it. Much to the amusement of my friend and brother, I took off running for about 30 feet with a screech when the thing started MOVING. *shudders*

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a crippling phobia of becoming crippled. Gotta be strong. Gotta be true.

...Lordy, that joke was lame. BA-ZING! Awww, see how I rise from the Qumran dirt and the salt of the sea? See!

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TallGeekyGirl:
I have a phobia of looking out windows at night. For whatever reason, the thought of pulling aside a curtain and peering into a dark night gives me the serous willies. I cant do it. All these stories about "and there was this face in the window looking back at me" just send major goosebumps up and down my back. The entire idea is anathema to me.

Can't see the bottom = jittery TallGeekyGirl abou to enter fight or flight

This sounds a lot like mine (in the post above). Mine extended from windows to behind doors, to closets to under beds. I've never heard of anyone having anything remotely close to my phobia.
Is yours active outside? That was one thing I always thought so strange, that I had no problem being outside in the dark. When I went camping, I'd sleep alone outside on a cot or on the ground, not in the tent with the rest of my family.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:
Is yours active outside?

No, but I don't like being outside in the dark. It's not really a fear, per se, it just makes me uneasy.

I think my fear of looking out a window into the darkness and my fear of water that I can't see the bottom to are related in some way. They both regard me looking into a partially reflective surface that hides an unknown element. That is: I know there *could* be something beyond what I can see of my reflection, but I have no idea what. Whatever is out there that I can't see *could* be dangerous to me.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TGG, I understand perfectly. Its all about what *might* be there, not what you know isn't there.

I love to go snorkeling, but can't do it for very long becuase the space makes me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. Its not about something hiding or being eaten by a shark; I got the same feeling standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon. All that space!

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luka_the_Pooka:
My fear is realistic dolls, and mannequins. I get nervous at malls and last year, a store had a life-size cowboy in front of their store, which moved its arms and said "Howdy" whenever anyone passed it. Much to the amusement of my friend and brother, I took off running for about 30 feet with a screech when the thing started MOVING. *shudders*

You reminded me of a guy in our town. During the summer he stands in the main street dressed like a wizard or something similar, but with his face painted a deathly white, and does those movements that seem as if he is automated. But every now and then, he stands dead still while adults are investigating him, then jumps and yells at them. You can hear the sceams a mile away. People line up on the other side of the steet to watch unsuspecting tourists get zapped.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 103 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aimee Evilpixie:
Aimee "Wasn't there someone on here who posted about a woman with a fear of cravats?" Evilpixie

That would be me, I think. A woman I worked with had mentioned a couple of times that she hated men in cravats, so on my last day at that job, I put one on as a joke. I regretted it instantly as she ran screaming from the room (though, actually, it was pretty funny).

An object lesson, if you will, in the perils of imprecise language – to me, there's a considerable difference between "hating" something, and "having a morbid dread" of it.

quote:
Originally posted by strange_little_girl:
I dont know if it's a true phobia, but I'm scared of big bushy beards. I'm very uncomfortable round men with them. It's the thought of having to touch them that upsets me, kinda like scrunching cotton wool together if that makes any sense.

Whether you are actually phobic or not I can't say, but at least I can tell you that it's called Pogonophobia, and seems to be not uncommon. The good news for beardies like me is that there are a good number of pogonophiles out there, too.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an odd aversion to cravats when I was young after reading an account of a murder case in eighteenth-century France. The victim (a magistrate) had been stabbed in the throat and the state of his cravat was a major clue. For some time after that I'd cringe at the thought of wearing a cravat.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a phobia about those giant cockroaches. The 2" long ones. I actually made my male co-worker go into the women's room here at work and kill one that was in there for me. Luckily he is a very nice guy and not only did so, but didn't tease me overly much about it.

Also, I can have near panic attacks if I have to call people on telephones. Even friends and family members. IIRC I am not the only person here on snopes with that issue.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dreams of thinking machines:
I have a fear of spider webs, and by extension spiders, but the web itself causes far more terror than the arachnid.

That reminds me of an ex-colleague. Many people are frightened of wasps, because they sting and it hurts - perfectly understandable. But the ex-colleague had no problems whatsoever with live wasps that could actually hurt her - she was frightened of dead ones. And only dead wasps - dead bees, for example, were fine. Never did I understand that one.

And my old hairdresser thought she was frightened of birds for a very long time until her husband pointed out she had no problems handling a chicken for the Sunday roast. Turned out she's actually frightened of feathers.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also have a friend who is afraid of spiders webs, and anything with a web like design (Like ornate clock faces) makes her uneasy.

ETA: Also

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Is anyone else's phobias variable?

Mine is. I have a phobia about raccoons. Geez, just typing out the word gave me the chills. I can look at pictures of raccoons, (sometimes I think they're even downright cute in pictures), and if I see a dead one I'm not as scared. But an alive one in my vicinity, forget about it. I start shaking, crying and break into a cold sweat. One time I saw a family of them in the road while I was driving and nearly had an accident I was panicking so much. My brother yelled at me to pull over and let him drive, but I thought if I did that they'd come attack me! [lol]

I think the fear stems from when I was a little kid and my father would put out the garbage at night. Sometimes I would see out the door raccoons by the cans looking up at me with their glowing eyes! :shudder:

Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:
For some time after that I'd cringe at the thought of wearing a cravat.

My father in law doesn't mind wearing a tie, but he can't see himself in the mirror with it on, or he starts choking and has to pull it off quickly.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. I can't, won't, Ever. wear a tight-around-the-neck shirt, blouse, scarf. I also can't sleep if any part of my face is covered, no matter how cold it is. If clothing touches my neck above the place where my collarbones show in the front, I walk around *tugging* until it's loosened. Makes me flashback to the time my brother choked me. And yeah, he apologized, never did it again, yada yada.

Men"no turtlenecks for me, thanks"olly

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
People with severe mental disabilities make me very uncomfortable, but I don't consider it a phobia - from my point of view, losing my cognitive abilities would be among the worst possible things that could happen to me, probably worse than death, and so I think being around someone to whom it has happened is understandably unpleasant.

My weird phobia is a fear of blood, except that it is very conditional. I've never been bothered by blood in computer games, regardless of how realistic and copious it was. However, if I have to sit through a lecture about the biochemistry of blood clotting, I will become queasy and my arms will go weak. Even thinking about it makes it hard to type. Real-life blood from minor injuries does not bother me, although cuts themselves do (that is, seeing or feeling the actual place where skin was sliced will elicit the reaction).

Oddly, I react in a similar way to blood. I don't mind dissections in the biology lab, but the thought of cutting flesh (especially slicing through blood vessels) makes me queasy. I doubt it would bother me to dissect a specimen that hadn't been drained of blood, since I can watch a nurse draw blood from my arm without any trouble. Strange thing is, the thought of having blood drawn makes me sick even if I'm perfectly ok with actually having it done.

As far as the weirdest phobia I've ever heard of, I saw a woman on a talk show (Maury Povich, I think) who was afraid of balloons.

ETA: No offense to Artemis. I guess a popping balloon is rather frightening.

I have a rather silly fear- praying mantises. It's a mild one, but I may become nervous when I see one. I hate the way they move. It's creepy. I think this fear comes from having them land on me and startle me twice in the past.

As a little kid, I hated men with beards. It probably started as a Santa Claus phobia, but it extended to all beards. I thought they looked "mean" or something. To this day, I don't particularly care for excess facial hair, but that may be completely unrelated.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Menolly- you reminded me of my other one..it's also "variable".

I can't stand for anyone or anything to touch my collarbones. They've never been broken (if it ever happens, I'll probably die) so I don't know where it comes from.

If people think they're going to be funny and touch them to tease me, I warn them "I will thrash and scream, and I might accidentally punch you, just so you know."

It's variable in that, if I'm idle and start thinking about it, I can FEEL my shirt touching my collarbones, so sometimes you'll find me with my shirt in my mouth, to keep it off of my chest. Or I'll just suddenly become aware of my seatbelt touching my collarbones, and I'll fidget the rest of the trip.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also had a ridiculous fear of rain gutters as a kid. I watched a cartoon where a hat almost got washed down a gutter, so I was afraid I'd somehow get sucked down one if I tripped or fell off my bike. When I was in 2nd grade, I stuck my legs in one to determine that I could not, in fact, fit down a gutter. The phobia went away after that.

People used to tease me about a fear I once had regarding sharp, pointed objects. They would chase me with thumbtacks, and one girl even stuck me with a push pin. The fear was actually contracting HIV. I thought that if someone else had been pricked, I would come into contact with infected blood. I now know better, but of course it still hurts to step on something sharp.

I'm also obsessive-compulsive and somewhat phobic of germs. I think it's lessend over the years, but I still take medication for it. I used to be afraid that there were germs in my library books (I swear I've seen boogers in library/text books before. Ew!) If I cannot wash my hands after, say, taking out the trash, I actually somehow FEEL dirty, almost like something is crawling on my skin.

At least now I can clean toilets and take the garbage out without becoming upset. I just wash my hands afterward. I think handling raw meat will be next on the list.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mouse goddess:
Menolly- you reminded me of my other one..it's also "variable".

~snip~Or I'll just suddenly become aware of my seatbelt touching my collarbones, and I'll fidget the rest of the trip.

Yep, I understand. I got one of those seatbelt pads that wraps around the seatbelt, attaches with velcro. Now the seatbelt doesn't rub my neck hardly at all--the pad is very thick and helps reduce the pressure or weight (or something) of the belt against my neck. Could this help you too maybe?

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband has a fear of touching his bellybutton. He thinks his guts will spill out if he or anyone else gets a finger near it.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ex had a huge phobia of ants, even the harmless black ants that don't bite. If he saw them in the house, he would avoid the kitchen until they were killed and cleaned up.

I also knew someone who was afraid of balloons, and totally freaked out when they popped.

Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
I have a rather silly fear- praying mantises. It's a mild one, but I may become nervous when I see one. I hate the way they move. It's creepy. I think this fear comes from having them land on me and startle me twice in the past.

My dad is squicked by most creepy-crawlies, but it's the preying mantis that gets him most. No idea why, though, as they're not exactly common where he grew up in Manchester...

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Manzanita SOL
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manzanita SOL   E-mail Manzanita SOL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitapsail fish:
Also, I can have near panic attacks if I have to call people on telephones. Even friends and family members. IIRC I am not the only person here on snopes with that issue.

I hate calling people on the phone. I wouldn't put it at the level of phobia, but I get extremely uncomfortable while the phone is ringing. If I'm calling someone for business purposes (anything from movie times to get my schedule from work), I have to breathe deeply and fight off the nervousness. Same thing if I'm calling someone for the first time.

--------------------
Take a step outside the planet,
Then turn around and round
Take a look at where you are
It's pretty scary.
--"Turnaround" - Nirvana

Posts: 60 | From: Richmond (Glen Allen), VA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages