snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » BA asks employee to conceal cross/crucifix (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BA asks employee to conceal cross/crucifix
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read an interesting opinion today. It basically said that the reason that Sikh headwear and Muslim garb are considered acceptable by the company is simply because they are things that cannot be easily concealed by the uniform, therefore the company has made accomodations. The writer then went on to ask what would be the result if the woman in question decided to wear a 1 metre high cross that cannot be concealed by the uniform? Personally I'm with the "It's not required by the religion, so eithr cover it or take a job where you are allowed to wear it uncovered" opinion.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
me, no really said:
what would be the result if the woman in question decided to wear a 1 metre high cross that cannot be concealed by the uniform?

I think a better comparator would be BA's decision to allow Sikh employees to wear their religious bangles. The religion apparently requires the bangles to be worn, and it's difficult to conceal them under clothing so that they fall within the "no jewellery" rule.

I've not seen it convincingly argued that any branch of Christianity actually requires a crucifix to be worn, much less a metre high crucifix.

I suspect that BA has uniform versions (or at least guidelines) for turbans and headscarves. Anyway, these are items of clothing, not jewellery. I don't think that they are a "concession" to religious employees, but elements of uniform that employees are allowed to wear (I would expect BA to allow any female emlpoyee to wear the uniform headscarf if she wanted to, without asking whether she was a muslim, for example).

Again, BA does not have a policy that "religous items" must be concealed. It only has a policy that jewellery must be concealed, with an exception made for the one religion that actually requires its followers to wear a particular piece of jewellery.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Non-Aquatic Mouse:
It's not shit-stirring, it's what's widely known in certain circles as a compromise. Visible jewelery is forbidden, but a precedent for allowing religious symbols in the form of headgear has already been established. Ergo, goodbye necklace, hello hairband.

I beg to differ, there is no precedent for allowing "religious symbols in the form of headgear"

The headgear is not symbolic. it's more of a (for want of a better word) soloution to a religious requirement. and IIRC the headgear itself is in a BA uniform pattern as part of the uniform .

So turning up to work in a non-uniform head-band with little crosses on is would be, at best, childish.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BA is to review its uniform policy.

BBC Story

ETA: Criticism, especially from the Church of England (shareholders in the company - see the video link), seems to have brought about this change of attitude.

quote:
Among those to criticise the airline's policy were the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, the Rt Rev Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London, and the Leader of the House of Commons, Jack Straw, who said the ban on crosses was "inexplicable".

And on Friday the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams said: "If BA is really saying or implying that the wearing of a cross in public is a source of offence, then I regard that as deeply offensive."

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack Straw has the balls to criticse this, after telling Muslim women to remove their veils? Hypocritcal NFBSK.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am kind of annoyed that BA has now said it will reviwe its policy. Mainly because I think it is responding to arguments that have arisen from a misunderstanding of the issues: opposition to BA's policy seems to assume that it forbids religious symbols because of some ill-defined issues about "offensiveness". If Jack Straw really has interpreted this as a "ban on crosses" then he, too, has the wrong end of the stick: Rowan Williams clearly has.

I expect the company will come up with a reasonable alternative policy that permits the wearing of "discreet" religious jewellery, maybe with a size limit: my school used to have a "no jewellery except one small gold stud per ear and/or a small plain cross" policy. I just think it's bowed to a mistaken argument when its original position was quite reasonable and defensible.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Private Eye, the Church of England is a major shareholder in BA. I think their review may well have something to do with the pressure from Rowan Alexander and the other bishops.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChickyBee
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChickyBee   E-mail ChickyBee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
After Mr Walsh's announcement of a policy review she said: "If they are going to review the policy and allow Christians their place in the workforce then that is a big relief."

This comment makes me so angry that I can't even find the words.....

--------------------
So many people are hung up on achievements. What did you do today? What are you planning? Sometimes, just getting through the day is an achievement in itself.

Posts: 256 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages