snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Mom seeks Harry Potter ban (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mom seeks Harry Potter ban
Winged Monkey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winged Monkey         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think all that dubious "magic" in the bible -- snake staffs, drowned charioters, too many fishes -- are likely more dangerous as it's presented as literal truth and may drive children into spell working satanism and that kind of thing much more quickly than mass-market children's fiction. Better ban it.

-Winged Monkey

Posts: 536 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
Really, you all need to read Hogwarts, History. Ear protection is provided. In the form of magical earmuffs. Professor Sprout wears pink fuzzy ones.

But doesn't she say something about the earmuffs only working because they are immature?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are immature and mature earmuffs? [Razz]

You are right. I imagine that there is bigger and better protection as they get older. THe mandrakes, I mean, not the earmuffs.

Perhaps a silencing spell? Or gas since they are going to be chopped up and made into medicine anyhow.

On second thought, I think it was that the baby mandrakes couldn't kill anyone, just knock him/her out for awhile because the mandrakes were immature.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On second thought, I think it was that the baby mandrakes couldn't kill anyone, just knock him/her out for awhile because the mandrakes were immature.

That was one of my favorite scenes: "Oh just leave him there for now..." [lol]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
[hijack]
If the shriek of an adult mandrake will kill you, how do they "harvest" them?

You tie a dog to it and run away. The dog will pull the mandrake out of the ground and then die from shock upon hearing the shrieking.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

I am not familiar with the Narnia books, do the kids ever use magic?

I don't think so. I think only Aslan (i.e. God) does.

Of course, C.S. Lewis was a serious, honest-to-goodness Christian. Today's pCms would never recognize him as one of their own, although some of them think they do, hence their penchant for quoting him out of context.

Now, about evil female characters in the Harry Potter books...I can't possibly be the only one out there who read OOP and immediately thought Dolores Umbridge was a brilliant caricature of John Ashcroft. [Wink]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Really, you all need to read Hogwarts, History. Ear protection is provided. In the form of magical earmuffs. Professor Sprout wears pink fuzzy ones.

But doesn't she say something about the earmuffs only working because they are immature?
No: the only thing she says in regards to the immaturity thing is that an immature mandrake's cry will only knock you out for a while rather than kill you outright. As long as you can't hear the cry of the mandrake, whatever its age, you'll be OK.

I know TG posted something similar, but I wanted to make it clear that muffs work against mandrakes. Stop giggling at the back.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages