snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Christmas toys that eluded you... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Christmas toys that eluded you...
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents were (and still are) usually really good about the gifts they got for me, but the one thing I really wanted and never got was one of the crystal radio kits from Radio Shack. I asked for something with lots of parts that you could build to make something sort of useful. What they got me was a question and answer kit where you attach a bunch of little wires to a bunch of springs so that when you put the Q&A card on the front, a light bulb lights up with the correct match. It was tedious and stupid, and I played with it exactly twice. When I asked why I didn't get the kit, my mom said she thought it wasn't what I really wanted. What?! It was exactly what I had asked for, why wouldn't I want it? I suppose I could go get one now, but the whole experience kind of soured me on it. I still refuse to learn Ohm's Law. [Wink]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a telescope for my twelfth birthday and learned I was legally blind. Fortunately, the fact that I couldn't aim the telescope at any star--because I couldn't see the stars--tipped my folks off to the fact that I needed glasses. So a couple of Christmases later, I asked for a better telescope but didn't get it because "You can't see tht well anyway."

Brad "but...but I got glasses now!" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Syllavus:
I always wanted Skeletor's Snake Mountain playset, I thought it was so cool, but I never asked for it because I was discouraged from playing with "boy" toys when I was little. [Frown]

That sucks. I got that for Christmas one year and it was awesome. It's still up in my parents' attic.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One year when my mother asked me what I wanted for Christmas I hesitated to say anything. I figured if I mentioned a toy I wanted she'd just tell me I couldn't have it.

But this time she assured me she would get me what I wanted if I would just ask. So I told her I wanted an Etch-a-Sketch.

"AN ETCH-A-SKETCH!!!?? I read those are poisonous!!!" she shrieked.

What did she think I was going to do, eat it?

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted Baby Talk, but it was way expensive. I think you can get it on ebay but it probably wasn't worth it.

I also wanted a radio control car, but it was a boys' toy. So Mom, or someone, got me one with a cord and it only went forward and back, turning to the left in reverse.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My daughter has one now, and, well, it kinda sucks. I'm so disappointed.

What was wrong with it?

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents (especially my dad) liked to get us higher quality things than the junk we wanted.

Among other things, I got a very nice working wooden Swedish table loom (which I still have), the year I really really really wanted a Little Red Spinning Wheel. I tried once to get one on eBay but got outbid and decided I didn't really want it now.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted a pony too. No, not really. What I really wanted was an Afghan Hound. I was 10 and thought they were the most glamorous creatures I had ever seen. I talked about it for months. On Christmas Eve my dad came home and came into my room with his jacket still on. A little head poked out above the zipper right below his chin. No, it wasn't a puppy. It was a tiny grey kitten. I loved him. They also gave me a broach, made out of fur, that looked like an Afghan Hound.

quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:

Do any of you remember the Terri Lee doll? She looked a tad like my little cousin, his daughter, and that's the one I took.

Not only do I remember the Teri Lee doll but I still have mine.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also asked for a pony, but this was two years ago. So what did I get from my friend? A My Little Pony with antlers [lol] .

I can't really remember not getting something that I really wanted. I don't know. I usually just wanted clothes, & the clothes I didn't get I bought myself with Christmas money/

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Spirograph, and a Lite-Brite, but what I reeeeeeeeeeeally coveted and never got was an Etch-a-Sketch.

And a pony.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted an EZ bake oven.

I never got one, they made me use the real oven. Heh. And by 14 I was making dinner. Think they had an ulterior motive?

No wonder I'm a foodie now.

But I DID get a pony! I did. He was a dun colored part Welsh gelding named Bucky. I didn't actually get him for Christmas - I attributed it to all the stars I wished on.

~My daughter got an EZ bake, but they had changed to plastic and looking like a microwave. Not cool like the one I wanted (and my best friend Pam who did have one and was an only child and was spoiled).

I think the reason they are dissappointing is because the cakes taste like they are cooked with a light bulb.

I suppose that's because they ARE cooked with a light bulb.

edited

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in as one of the masses who also didn't get an EZ Bake oven.

But more than anything for years I wanted a Baby Alive doll -- yes the kind that ate, pooped and peed. Don't ask why -- a 7-year-old desires what she desires no matter how gross it all seems now.

Also never got a Barbie. Think my parents didn't like the over the top fru-fru pink Barbie world. I got a more tomboyish "Daisy" doll instead, who when you wound her arm backward could hit a volleyball (sold seperately, of course, so I never actually saw it happen) in the most athletic way. No shopping with her girlfriends at Macy's for a pink 70s pantsuit for Daisy, no way. Unfortunately, Daisy was strong enough to spike a volleyball but could not stand up to an 10-year-old older brother who broke Daisy's arm only one hour after I pulled her out from under the tree.

Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Eggs and Spam
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Eggs and Spam     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never got a Barbie doll either. I got a Tammy doll, who was about the same size as Barbie but less well-endowed. She came in a telephone booth.

I got the Easy Bake Oven that I longed for, but used it only two or three times, probably because, as snapdragonfly says, the little cakes tasted like they were cooked with a light bulb. It didn't live up to the expectations from watching all those Saturday morning commercials during the Bugs Bunny-Roadrunner Hour and George of the Jungle.

Posts: 272 | From: Winchester, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Baby Alive. My mom would buy Kimbies diapers for me to use (wow, I even remember the brand). I loved mixing up the "food" and feeding it to her, but mostly I just gave her water. Having to actually change the doll did discourage me from giving her too many meals, though. All my dolls got lost when I was eight and they disappeared during our move from California. [Frown]

Oh, and I agree with LittleDuck about the Weebles now not being real Weebles - I still have the Weebles Marina circa 1976 or so. It has Dad/Captain, Mom, teenage daughter and twin boys. Funny thing, though, I dropped daughter into the bathtub once (they had boats, that automatically makes them bath toys, right?) and when she dried out, she had a lovely hourglass figure. The middle of the paper had shrunk right where a waist should be, and the rest of the details looked just fine.

I finally got my first real Barbie for Christmas when I was 18. Mom said she didn't want me to say she never got me one.

(Edited because I'm too much of a nitpicker)

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never got a bicycle. Well, actually I did, albeit only briefly.

My brilliant parents went and bought me a second-hand bicycle from a private party. They then went to get a license for the bicycle (even though licenses weren't required and served no practical purpose other than providing the county with extra revenue) and discovered during the application process that the bike's serial number had been filed off.

You'd think they'd have drawn the obvious inference, but noooo ... they foolishly proceeded with the license application, even more foolishly noting in the "Serial #" field of the application that the number had been filed off. (Geez, guys, couldn't you at least have MADE UP a number?)

The license application soon prompted a visit from a sheriff's officer, who raised the serial number, determined that the bicycle had been stolen (duh!), and informed us that they would have to impound the bike. So my parents stripped everything removable (e.g., wheels, seat, basket, handlebars) off the bicycle and gave them just the frame. (To what purpose, I don't know -- I guess they somehow thought they were getting even with the sheriff for their own stupid mistake.)

The worst part about the whole affair (other than the superfluous reminder of what idiots my parents were) was the knowledge that even though the original owners of the bicycle couldn't be located, we didn't get it back -- it was sold at auction to someone else.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Rolf Harris Stylophone. Wasn't I the lucky one.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents were pretty poor while I was growing up, so I either got the toy du jour either a year or two later when the price dropped, or a generic version. Sometimes it would even turn out funny. My brother and I wanted badly My Buddy and Kid Sister, respectively, but I guess they were expensive, so I ended up getting a brunette doll, (I am blond and really wanted the blond one), and my brother got a generic "My Pal" doll. It was funny because the doll really did look like Chucky. I cut it's hair so it looked even more like Chucky, and tied a fake noose around it in our closet for my brother to find....I was such a horrible sister! [lol]

Syllavus' post reminded me, I always wanted the Skeletor Snake Mountain, too but never got it. Not because it was a "boy toy", I was a real tomboy growing up so most of my toys were "boy toys". It must have just been out of my parents price range.

But the toy I wanted most that I never got was this cool doll called "Cricket"...she was so cool, she actually would have conversations with you. I asked for her for about 3 years but never got her...must've been too expensive. Instead, keeping with my family's tradition of scary generic dolls, I got "Pamela", a doll that you would put a cassette tape in her back and she would read you stories. However, for some reason she was cross-eyed, so she really was kind of scary looking. I remember I loved to play with her during the day, but at night when I went to bed I would put a sheet over her so I wouldn't have to look at her scary crossed eyes! [lol]

Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazed:

But the toy I wanted most that I never got was this cool doll called "Cricket"...she was so cool, she actually would have conversations with you. I asked for her for about 3 years but never got her...must've been too expensive. Instead, keeping with my family's tradition of scary generic dolls, I got "Pamela", a doll that you would put a cassette tape in her back and she would read you stories. However, for some reason she was cross-eyed, so she really was kind of scary looking. I remember I loved to play with her during the day, but at night when I went to bed I would put a sheet over her so I wouldn't have to look at her scary crossed eyes! [lol]

Can't sleep...doll will eat me!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

My parents try, but to this day they're always just a bit off when it comes to xmas gift-giving. A couple of years ago I asked for a small toaster oven. Nothing fancy, just something I could make frozen waffles and grilled cheese sandwiches in.

The "small" modifier must have eluded them, because on the 25th I opened up a toaster oven that's only slightly smaller than my Hyundai, though probably with better braking on ice. I think some contortionists whose websites I've (kaff, kaff) stumbled across could fit inside this thing without too much trouble. This would be liveable except that my kitchen (which they'd seen) is pretty tiny with not much counter space, much of which is taken up by an antique microwave oven (so old that I'm convinced it keeps running for a second after the door opens; if I have mutant kids, I've found the culprit), and I can juuuuust wedge the toaster between microzilla and the fridge.

Sigh. They try, I know they do, but seriously...socks and underwear. That would be great.

Max "total ingrate child" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister once borrowed a friends Cricket doll, which I pointed out looked like a cross between a cabbage patch doll & ET.

It didn't have any battries in but my sister said we were missing one of those "hay, no fair" kid's vocies.

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
I wanted a Tressy doll so badly. Why? Because her hair grew, of course! You used a key in her back to wind her hair in and out. It was the whole point of Tressy.

Christmas morning, I got a Tressy! I was thrilled. But mum said she thought I would lose the key or break it, so she took the key away, and then it got lost somewhere. I never got to grow her hair. [Frown]

I occasionally look for her on ebay, but a surprising number of them have missing keys.

I found the key to my (sister's) Tressy a couple of years ago. I have no idea where the doll is/was but somewhere I have a key...

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberry Limeade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 5, I got a Secret Surprise My Little Pony. They were about twice the size of regular My Little Ponies, and they had saddles which opened up (via a key) with something inside. I don't know what, because my key didn't work. I told my parents I wanted to keep it, but they took it back. Apparently it was a popular toy that year (1990) because the store didn't have anymore and I never got another one. [Frown]

Although, looking them up now, they're not quite as pretty as I remember, so I feel better.

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by queen of the bah-caramels:
I found the key to my (sister's) Tressy a couple of years ago. I have no idea where the doll is/was but somewhere I have a key...

I wonder if you could sell that on eBay, if it's true many of the ones for sale there have missing keys...

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duck 182   E-mail Duck 182   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! I was pretty surprised that a topic I started ended up with so many posts. I guess there are a lot of people had their stories as well.

For Lonely Mountain, who yearned for that Voltron all those many years ago, did you know that they made a superposable "Masterpiece" version of him with all 5 lions posable as well? I don't have him, but I hear it's a nice piece... if you have over $100

Posts: 128 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted Micronauts. Damn, they were cool! Whole cities (with monorail), giant robots with interchangeable parts, poseable 3.5 inch action figures!!!
Sadly, the only one I ever recieved was this guy. He was cool and all (what with the glow in the dark King Tut on his chest) but that monorail would have been nice [Wink]

On the other hand... I also loved slot cars, and during my childhood, I gained enough track to cover the "family" half of the basement (along with the cars). I even had flex-track.

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
One Christmas, I desperately wanted a Nintendo. Oh, how I yearned, how I waited. The days grew to wane before the holiday, and how I would only speak of that gray little god.

The morning arrived. My siblings and I flashed downstairs. And...um, it was there. I got it. A glorious Christmas it was. *sigh*

I got my N64 the Christmas I asked for it. I found it by accident when trying to find the wrapping paper. Yes, my mum is a bit dim. I could barely contain my excitement when I found it.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What always annoyed the NFBSK out of me was my brother always got the cool toys, like Star Wars figures and Voltron, and I got dumb old Barbies...every single birthday and Christmas, even though I never asked for them.

Zor "To this day, I still hate pink" ro

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All you folks (ungrateful little brats) griping about how idiotic, stupid, dim, etc. your parents were, just imagine how your children, if you have any, must/will be talking about you.  -

- Merry Christmas!  -

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MizzyLou:
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven, never got one. I always wanted a Spirograph, never got one.

I wanted the Easy Bake, too, but never got it. I think mom and dad saw too much potential for disaster with 7 kids and an Easy Bake. But we had the Spirograph. [Razz]

I wanted the Easy Bake Oven SO BAD I could DIE! Year! After! Year! Oh the torture, the unfairness of it all, the misery.

My daughter has one now, and, well, it kinda sucks. I'm so disappointed.

As for the Spirograph, my grandmother had one and she wouldn't let us take it home. She said it was hers, she liked to play with it, and it stayed at her house. She was a weird gramma.

I never wanted an EasyBake. But this year (and last) I have wanted a new Toaster Over, which my husband has been referring to as an EasyBake. And I had a SpiroGraph, and in fact I have an unused, perfect condition, everything-there vintage 1960's SpiroGraph set sitting on a shelf that my kids are itching to use, although I've bought them each their own.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked for a Thundertank for the ThunderCats one year, but never received one. My mom swore for years afterward Santa bought me one for Christmas, but I always told her that it had never come.

A few years ago, my mom was cleaning out the garage and guess what she found, mint in the box? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted the EasyBake for years, but Mom would never let me have one -- she said that my Suzy Homemaker oven should be good enough. Looking back, I realize that my hope was that if I had an EasyBake she would have let me actually bake things in it, which she never would with the Suzy Homemaker oven. (She only let me put water in the Suzy Homemaker washing machine once.)

Also, for YEARS and years I lusted after a Lundby dollhouse. Never got one of those either -- there wasn't space for it.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the Spirograph, and Lite Brite, but I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven, but never got one. I also had the original Weebles, but not the Haunted House.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I apologize if you are easily offended.

This year my daughter & s-i-l bought her 17 year old bro(as a gag gift) Bible Action Figures. Noah and Virgin Mary, because Jesus and Moses were sold out. He had more fun with them, right down to using a digital camera, to make them live action.

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaphHime

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaphHime   E-mail DaphHime   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
I always wanted a Spirograph, never got one.

Those were very overrated. I got one for Christmas one year and for the life of us we couldn't figure out how to use it. We barely made anything with that thing and it was in pieces the next day.

I remember I wanted the original Power Zoid from Power Rangers (the one with the separate vehicles that come together). I did get the spin-off zoids but not the original with the different dinosaurs. [Frown]

I know I wanted a lot of Barbie related things (in sharp contrast to what I mentioned above oddly enough) like the My Size Barbie and one of those large houses with all the accessories.

--------------------
"I was in one of those rare states where you curse someone else's misfortune."-Rikudo Koshi

Posts: 125 | From: Villa Park, IL | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My little brother got a junior version of the Spirograph (I want to say Spirotot, but I'm not sure that's right). He wasn't interested in it, but I fooled around with it a lot and used it to make book covers for my high-school texts.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me & my brother had a Spirotot, made by Denys Fisher for many years. It came with 3 strange coloured biros almong with the normal gear wheels with holes it.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages