snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Christmas toys that eluded you... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Christmas toys that eluded you...
Duck 182
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Duck 182   E-mail Duck 182   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, maybe it's a little late for this, but I've been meaning to throw this topic around. This is about those toys from your childhood that Santa forgot to give you, but (even though you are now an adult and can now officially buy said presents [Big Grin] ) these toys still elude you, due to lack of finding it or it's too highly priced for your blood. I would have to go with the GAF Double Vue. http://www.viewmaster.co.uk/htm/movie.asp

It's the bottom viewer.
Anyway, there was a store in town that had this piece in it's shop for years (and I DO mean years. I promised myself that I would get this toy, but when I finally got the money for this piece, it was gone [Frown] . So now I try to find this piece, but ebay usually comes up with very few, and when it does come up, it's usually MIP and it goes for a whole ton of money. very little is known about it (Hell, it took me a long time just to find the web page). But some day I still plan on getting one.

Anyone else have their stories?

Posts: 128 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tragically, my covetousness was transitory; I may have slobbered for the Hot New Toy as a lumpling, but by February any disappointment of my not receiving that toy under the tree had long since dissipated.

However...

When game decks were the Hot New Thing, I used to die a thousand deaths a day because I didn't have an Atari 2600. If I spent any time at all at an acquaintance or relative's house where such equipment was in residence, I spent my time playing whatever games were available. Which is rude, and I was a horrible little kid, but oh, how I ached for video games. They were an overwhelming and binding priority.

Ten thousand years or so later, at least in computer years, I found an Atari 2600 at a yard sale for five bucks, along with a stack of cartridges for a quarter each. I gleefully took this pile home. Beat all the games in less than a week.

Of course, now I have a PS2 and it's the sidescrollers that bore me...there's just no keeping me happy.

Love, Who?

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One year I wanted paratrooper Action Man. Complete with 'fully fuctional' parachute. I dropped so many hints.

What I got from my parents was the large (6-8 inch) scale model of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Meh.

A couple of days after Christmas we went to my Aunt's house, where she gave me a late present. I feverishly unwrapped it - a large scale model of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Colloboration can't have been my families strong point.

I did get my wish on my following birthday, though the fun was short lived. I launched paratrooper Action Man from my bedroom window, whereupon his fully functional parachute folded on itself, and he dropped like a stone to the concrete below. I never realised AM could disintegrate into so many pieces.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted a bb gun when I was about 7 (after seeing "Christmas Story"). Santa left me a letter stating that the police wouldn't let me have one.

My brother has always wanted a grappling hook. He even put one on his amazon wishlist this year.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven, never got one. I always wanted a Spirograph, never got one.

The Kitten got both this year (she's already had Christmas with her father's extended family). I finally get to play with them! Yay! And I only had to wait 34 years....

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I longed for Hungry Hippos, but never got it. I got Grabbin' Dragons instead, which was actually better. So a happy ending for you there.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted nothing more than the old LJN Jake "The Snake" Roberts figure from the WWF line of the 80s. We saw it at the toy store and my mom wouldn't buy it. She came back to get it as a surprise and it was gone. I didn't get it on Christmas day, but some relatives that lived in Memphis at the time found it and I got it a little after Christmas.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine's kind of glurgy so fair warning.

My brother and I always wanted the fullsize fully transformable Voltron, (The one made of 5 lions, not the cars and trucks one) but it was discontinued before we could get all 5 (The rumor at the time was that it was pulled because of lead-based paint but who knows). The point it that we never got it and our childhoods were horribly scarred for life (well a few months anyway)

Fast-forward to X-mas 2000. It was my only nephew's first Christmas and I was banging around the toys stores trying to find something. I turned down an aisle and there it was: The complete 5 lion set of Voltron, re-released. I bought it a gave it to my brother for Xmas. The look on his face Xmas morning was worthy of a cheesy holiday commercial for coffee. It's now one of my nephew's favorite toys.

I hopoe this wasn't too nauseating.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Golly. I think I got everything I asked for just about every year. My Christmases were filled with Star Wars characters and/or vehicles, transformers, He-Man action figures . . . ma an' pa, y'all spoiled me!

Despite being spoiled as a child, I think I turned out ok. By the time I was a teenager I was asking for stuff like classical music or books. Once in a while I might pick out a computer game. In general, though, my requests were much more reasonable at that time.

Mack da "this year I want world peace . . . and a Daisy Red Ryder 200 Shot BB Gun" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I wanted when I was four was one of those battery operated cars you can drive. I got one, and it didn't work right. I was so excited to have it though.

My mom brought it back to the store and said it needed a "gas cap"- WTF?! She didn't replace it. I was so upset!

My dad still says to this day she swore I'd never notice.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 19 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven, never got one. I always wanted a Spirograph, never got one.

I wanted the Easy Bake, too, but never got it. I think mom and dad saw too much potential for disaster with 7 kids and an Easy Bake. But we had the Spirograph. [Razz]

I remember one particular year I wanted a radio/tape player so, so badly. I did not get one. My older sister got one. [Mad]

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wanted Skeletor's Snake Mountain playset, I thought it was so cool, but I never asked for it because I was discouraged from playing with "boy" toys when I was little. [Frown]

I also always wanted Thundercat action figures, and the toy Sword of Omens, but again, I never asked for them because I always thought it was wrong of me to want "boy" toys. *sigh*

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in 1982 or '83, Atari made these tiny video game machines, almost scale replicas about six inches tall of arcade games (does anyone else remember those?) I really wanted the Pac-Man one, though I don't know how emphatic I was. We never actually had any video game system at all. Though to this day I don't play video games and am almost completely ignorant of gaming culture.

Around that time though, I did get the Armatron, this robotic arm that you controlled with a pair of joysticks. I seem to remember enjoying it for a while, but my parents insist I got bored quickly and they would trot the example out mockingly for years to come.

Max "Claire, the whole world. The whole world, Claire." Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:

I wanted the Easy Bake, too, but never got it. I think mom and dad saw too much potential for disaster with 7 kids and an Easy Bake. But we had the Spirograph. [Razz]

I wanted the Easy Bake Oven SO BAD I could DIE! Year! After! Year! Oh the torture, the unfairness of it all, the misery.

My daughter has one now, and, well, it kinda sucks. I'm so disappointed.

As for the Spirograph, my grandmother had one and she wouldn't let us take it home. She said it was hers, she liked to play with it, and it stayed at her house. She was a weird gramma.

Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Moonshoes!

Both me ands my sister must've put moonshoes on about five consecutive Christmas lists when we were younger. They never came... not from Santa or my parents.

Technically, they don't "elude" me now. I could go out and buy some (though not the original brand, apparently). However, now that I'm 20, I don't think I could quite pull off the moonshoes look. [Smile]

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At 7 I finally got a BICYCLE! Oh happy day! Assembled and everything. Dad took me outside and taught me how to ride it. We put the bike on the back porch and came in to have dinner.

An hour later it was gone, stolen.

I'm the only person on earth who really did forget how to ride a bike.

[Frown]

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I can remember most wanting is Thw Weebles Haunted House . I used to use my "first star" wishes for it too. I don't recall why I wanted it so badly but I think as kids we really don't need reasons. I just know I never got it. Then they decided to replaces the smaller, slightly dangerous Weebles (a small-ish plastic shell with a paper insert decorated to look like whatever) with larger, molded and painted hideous creations. These are not Weebles. They never will be, though they may call them that. Weebles are small , fun things.

Little "and they don't fall down" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buckleupp:
At 7 I finally got a BICYCLE! Oh happy day! Assembled and everything. Dad took me outside and taught me how to ride it. We put the bike on the back porch and came in to have dinner.

An hour later it was gone, stolen.

I'm the only person on earth who really did forget how to ride a bike.

[Frown]

That's horrible! Seriously, is life in prison really that excessive for the sociopathic asshat who steals a seven year-old's bicycle on Christmas? I know I sound draconian, but someone who behaves like that really needs to be taken out of the general population.

Max "the spirit of the season" Renn

--------------------
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me & my brother both wanted a Domino Rally set, which was a set of track with hinged dominos on them. At the time Record Breaks seemed to feature a record setting layout in a warehouse every few weeks we wanted to try doing something similar.

As it was only available in a massive set, even between the 2 of us our parents reckoned it was going to cost too much.

Years later I knew someone who must have picked up one second hand, so I managed to have a go with one.

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about 24, mom asked me to make a Christmas list. She did this every year and then never bought the things on it. (she usually lost the list)

I told her I wasn't making a list, since I made lists every year and she just bought whatever she wanted to buy anyway, so why take the time? This launched into a whole conversation between the kids and mom about the things that were on out lists for years that we never got.

So, that Christmas I ended up getting a Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine and an Easy Bake Oven.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
That's horrible! Seriously, is life in prison really that excessive for the sociopathic asshat who steals a seven year-old's bicycle on Christmas? I know I sound draconian, but someone who behaves like that really needs to be taken out of the general population.

Thank you Max. Your righteous indignation has soothed my pain. [Smile]

edited to fix quote

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 104 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
What I can remember most wanting is Thw Weebles Haunted House ...

A friend of mine still had his and sold it on eBay this past summer. Before he sold it, he showed it to us and we wound up playing with it. There we were, a bunch of 30+ year-olds, playing Weebles. It was fun, though.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Tzarina:
When I was about 24, mom asked me to make a Christmas list. She did this every year and then never bought the things on it. (she usually lost the list)

I told her I wasn't making a list, since I made lists every year and she just bought whatever she wanted to buy anyway, so why take the time? This launched into a whole conversation between the kids and mom about the things that were on out lists for years that we never got.

So, that Christmas I ended up getting a Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine and an Easy Bake Oven.

There's always a tense feeling around gift-giving in my family at this time of year. From about October my parents are asking me what I want and my answer is usually along the lines of "Look, I'm 33. If I wake up on Christmas morning to find socks and pyjamas I will genuinely be happy. You supported me for many more years than you had any obligation to, I won't love you any less (ETA: or think you love me any less) if I get bugger all on the 25th."

Then you have my BPD sister who dictates lists to people by (Canadian) Thanskgiving and calls in a panic to make sure she's been bought the exact thing she demanded. And my wee brother who's just at the age where he goes through catalogs circling every second item. Sigh...I remember when one year he opened his first present, a box of plastic dinosaurs, and went off to play with them, then was told there was more for him to open. The look of "This was cool enough, but it gets better?" on his four-year-old face is a cherished memory.

Max "Fine, I'm a grinch, I admit it" Renn

--------------------

1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember getting a letter in my stocking one year, from Santa, apologizing for being unable to get me a "Suckerman" doll.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Buckleupp:
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
That's horrible! Seriously, is life in prison really that excessive for the sociopathic asshat who steals a seven year-old's bicycle on Christmas? I know I sound draconian, but someone who behaves like that really needs to be taken out of the general population. [/QB]
Thank you Max. Your righteous indignation has soothed my pain. [Smile] [/QB]
Well, we can look back now as adults and say, hey, it's just stuff, but there's something truly just plain primal about children and their beloved toys. For it to be a bike just cranks up the iconic nature of it. Without hyperbole, my heart just fell when I read your original post. But then, I was bullied as a kid and my latest screenplay has a scene where a twelve-year-old gets his bike stolen, so maybe I'm wound a bit tight on that particular issue.

Max "but I'm much better now!" Renn

--------------------

Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MizzyLou:
. . .As for the Spirograph, my grandmother had one and she wouldn't let us take it home. She said it was hers, she liked to play with it, and it stayed at her house. She was a weird gramma.

Hmmmph! What, may I ask, is so weird about that? If it was hers, why should she have let you take it home? Did you let her take your toys home? I didn't think so.  -

I can't remember being disappointed but one time on Christmas. I didn't get a doll because my parents thought I was too old. We were in Tampa, where my uncle owned a toy store, and he took me to his store on Christmas afternoon and let me pick out any one I wanted. Do any of you remember the Terri Lee doll? She looked a tad like my little cousin, his daughter, and that's the one I took.

I think the best Christmas I ever had was the year (1953) right after I turned 13. I got my first new bicycle (All the others had been used ones my Daddy restored.), a football, a beautiful doll, and my first tube of lipstick was in my stocking. Yep, I was a tomboy.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted a Tressy doll so badly. Why? Because her hair grew, of course! You used a key in her back to wind her hair in and out. It was the whole point of Tressy.

Christmas morning, I got a Tressy! I was thrilled. But mum said she thought I would lose the key or break it, so she took the key away, and then it got lost somewhere. I never got to grow her hair. [Frown]

I occasionally look for her on ebay, but a surprising number of them have missing keys.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Year after year I always wanted on of those spin art toys. I never got one, despite the fact that was top of my list for several years.

As an adult, however, I can really see why my parents didn't want to mix paint, centrifugal force, and an older brother that liked to "juice up" every working toy in the house.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Littleduck, I HAD the Weeble's Haunted House. But my parents complained I didn't play with enough and packed it up to take to Goodwill. Well of course I didn't play with it, they had it in a box in the basement since we moved! And god dammit, I cried all the way to Goodwill saying that I loved the toy and didn't want to get rid of it, and they didn't listen. I have never forgiven them.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One Christmas, I desperately wanted a Nintendo. Oh, how I yearned, how I waited. The days grew to wane before the holiday, and how I would only speak of that gray little god.

The morning arrived. My siblings and I flashed downstairs. And...um, it was there. I got it. A glorious Christmas it was. *sigh*

Carry on, then, suckers.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I ever wanted was a box. Just a plain old cardboard box like all the other kids had. Man what you could do with a box. The folks couldn't afford to buy anything that would come in a box that big. So I got oranges in my stocking and sometimes pecans from the yard. Once, I got a slinkey and another time a yo-yo.

Things got better and I got an electric football game of Super Bowl I. (Which was played on January 15, 1967 in Los Angeles pitting Green Bay of the NFL against Kansas City of the AFL. Green Bay won 35-10) I never even knew such a thing existed. I was a metal football field about 3 feet x 1 foot and had little plastic and cardboard (see where I am going with this?) men. You plugged it in (no on/off switch you see) and it vibrated. If your guy with the ball fell down, you unplugged it. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, it came in a BOX, a CARDBOARD box!! Man was I ever a happy camper. The next year all I wanted for christmas was electricity in our house.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted a pony. I'm sure you all know how that went over. [Big Grin]

I also wanted a set of radio-controlled race cars. I did get those, but could hardly get them away from my dad and brother to play with them!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frogpond I always wanted a pony too. Now I think I'd like a burro, though.

The present I can't believe I got as a kid was the My Little Pony castle playset. My parents never bought me giant plastic toys; I never did get a Barbie Dreamhouse, and my best friend always had all the big expensive toys. That Little Pony castle raised my 9-year-old status immeasurably.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a weird kid. I don't remember anything I was disappointed not to get. But I do have distinct memories of getting gifts that made me feel wracked with guilt because I knew I wouldn't get enough use out of them to justify the expense. I don't know where I got it from, because my parents weren't particularly frugal and I've completely grown out of it myself. Maybe just because I didn't really have an allowance and thus didn't see much cash, I thought it was worth more than it really was.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted Mrs Beasley  -

My mom finally gave her to me for my birthday a couple of years ago [Cool] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages