snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Holiday games

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holiday games
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 600 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Playing cards with my family is one of the things I am most looking forward to this Christmas, so I was wondering if others have traditional games they like to play at family gatherings.

Last year I got really angry at my cousins, because they "decided" unilaterally that we wouldn't have Christmas Eve at my grandparents like we always have, because one of their baby's-daddy wanted his kid for Christmas Eve, my Grandma was saying she didn't want to do the big Christmas Eve thing at their house because it had been hellish the year before (I wasn't there, because I was preparing to move back to the state a couple months later, but if I had been, I know I could have smoothed a lot of the problems over), it was more convenient for them to exchange gifts after Christmas, blah blah. After I got over my initial indignation, I called up Grandma and asked her if it would be ok for just me, and my sister, and my parents, and my aunt (these cousins' mother) if she wanted to, to come over and just play cards like we traditionally do when we're all together. She said it was ok, and somehow miracuously, even though they thought they couldn't make it, so tried to cancel it for me, my cousins showed up with their kids too.

This year, my aunt and cousins "decided" for me that Christmas Eve should be at my house (I think they were surprised when I agreed), then about a month ago, decided again that "we" weren't going to be able to do Christmas Eve at all. Once again, I called up my Grandma and asked if we could play cards there on Christmas Eve.

Anyway, to the main point, the game we like to play is called "Hand and Foot." I've also heard it referred to as "Hands and Feet" by someone from my hometown. It is similar to Canasta, only red threes are really bad (-500 points if you have one unplayed when someone else goes out), and there are two hands of 11 cards, a hand you play first, and a "bootie", which is a second hand you pick up and play once you play all the cards in your first hand.

I've been playing it since I was too young to even count up my cards. It makes a very good get-together game, because it doesn't take an enormous amount of concentration so it's a good excuse to get us all around the table to just chat, and because any number of people can play, you just need one more deck of cards than you have people.

So, what do you play when your family is together?

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've begun playing Apples to Apples. It's mostly an excuse to sit around and chat and can be played by any number of people (I think we had 12 at one point) with people rotating in and out. We only started playing it last year, but it's become our favorite game.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We like Farkle (dice game) or a nice rowdy game of spoons is always fun.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoons

It is really fun if you put the spoons so that a good whack to the center sends the spoons flying. Or you can just sneak a spoon and keep on playing until someone notices.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We usually play Spoons .

ETA: Wow, guru, does your hand hurt from spanking me so hard?

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CryoWalt
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CryoWalt   E-mail CryoWalt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Identify what the dog ate' and 'What will happen to the table'

We've had the table catch fire (candle hitting tablecloth) our goldie jump up (after dinner, during cards) after being chased by a cat, a nephew that has seen too many westerns (jabbed knife in table) and 'Jesus Action Figure' collide with Guinness (Jesus doesn't drink wine at our houses).

And we sometimes play 'Catchphrase'(SP?) If we don't know the answer, the default word is 'spigot'.

Posts: 524 | From: Metro Detroit, MI | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
We like Farkle (dice game) or a nice rowdy game of spoons is always fun.

I used to play Farkle with my grandchildren quite a while ago but have forgotten the scoring. Could you post the rules? I have some younger grandchildren, now, who I think would have fun with it.

ETA: Whoops! Never mind. I tend to forget that I have a research tool right in front of my face. [Embarrassed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farkle

I played Bridge a lot when I was in college. In fact, we used to skip classes for a game. Don't tell anyone. I never could get my husband or any of his family to learn how, so we play Spades.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CryoWalt:
'Identify what the dog ate' and 'What will happen to the table'

[lol] Nice!

We always play Trivial Pursuit, where occasionally a missed question requires a repentant shot of Goldschläger.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We also play spoons, although a few decks of cards will be sacrificed because my husband has a tendancy to crush the cards in one hand while grabbing for a spoon with the other. [lol]

We always play Scattergories, too.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: remove rules, cause wiki rules are probably clearer....

While playing spoons it is always fun to flip the spoons. One good whack and they go flying. I remember my dad sticking his hand down my aunt's shirt to retrieve a spoon.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second Apples to Apples. My mother doesn't like any games other than Trivial Pursuit and occasionally Texas Hold'em, and she even liked Apples to Apples. It's even better after several glasses of wine.

I like Scattergories too, but I'm the only one, so no one ever wants to play it. [Frown] I'm going to Glass Papaya's house to play.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Christmas is at my in-laws house this year, the game will be, "Find a way to go to the bathroom without my crazy father in-law bursting in and scream at me."

No joke, the man is a paranoid schizophrenic, and believes that running water conveys information, so he spends a good 80% of his time in the house's one bathroom running water and opening and closing the toilet lid. Fun fun fun.

However, this has resulted in making me a much more efficient waste manager. Ahem.

Mack da "like *$%&# through a goose" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday afternoon at Mom & Dad's house is time for Full-Contact Crossword Puzzling. Everybody wants to be in charge of the pen.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CryoWalt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CryoWalt   E-mail CryoWalt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh waffles, drank too much cocoacoffee.
Posts: 524 | From: Metro Detroit, MI | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CryoWalt

quote:
Originally posted by Macheath:
Since Christmas is at my in-laws house this year, the game will be, "Find a way to go to the bathroom without my crazy father in-law bursting in and scream at me."

No joke, the man is a paranoid schizophrenic, and believes that running water conveys information, so he spends a good 80% of his time in the house's one bathroom running water and opening and closing the toilet lid. Fun fun fun.

However, this has resulted in making me a much more efficient waste manager. Ahem.

Mack da "like *$%&# through a goose" Knife

So he peeks at the presents you leave him ? [Big Grin]

He's not paranoid, just worried about how much fiber you get in your diet.

Macheath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, if I need to use the bathroom I have to tell him that I'm sending a fax . . .

Mack da Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CryoWalt

quote:
Originally posted by Macheath:
Actually, if I need to use the bathroom I have to tell him that I'm sending a fax . . .

Mack da Knife

Here's hoping the fax machine has plenty of paper.....
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, I haven't played Spoons in years! I might have to try to teach that one to DS.

The game my family always played at any gathering is Thirty-One (a card game). I can't post the Wiki link b/c it has parenthesis in it. Or something.

Basically everyone has 3 cards and tries to get 31 or as close to it of the same suit. Each time you lose you pay a "coin" and whoever is the last one left wins the money.

Due to inflation ( [lol] ) the cost to play has gone from 3 dimes to 3 quarters and I think they play now with 3 $1 bills. [Smile]

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for reminding me of spoons! My cousins and I used to play it when we were kids. Sometimes we'd even manage to get the grown-ups involved.

Lynda D's to do list:
1. Finish Christmas shopping
2. Bake pumpkin pies
3. Teach DSs and DDs to play spoons!

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We play "Rizla-head", which is where you write down a famous personality or character on a cigarette paper, and affix itr= to the forehead of the person opposite you. When everyone is all Rizla'd up, you take it in turns to ask "yes/no" questions about your identity ("Am I alive? Am I female?") until you work out who you are. Hilarity ensues.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always loved Spoons, but nothing can surpass my love for Egyptian Ratscrew (kid-friendly variant names listed at the top of the page). It's a slapping card game that gets very intense and can go on for hours. Variants are many and numerous, but my preference is as follows:

-No jokers
-Only pairs and triples slapped (I've never had the pleasure of the Pyromania variant)
-One-card penalty for a false slap
-Five false slaps and you're out of the round, with all your cards going to the bottom of the pile
-Bystanders and those out of play welcome to slap in, with the "learn by immersion" variant in use when the majority of players already know the game.
-No rings!
-Flat-handed slap only
-"Slide battle": In the event that two players slap a card at the exact same moment (ie, their hands are both on a different part of the card and do not overlap at all), they each lay their fingertips (no thumbs) on opposite edges of the card and try to slide it towards themselves. The pile goes to the victor.
-"Hover-slam": If a player frequently or repeatedly "hovers" one hand over the pile, another player can place a hand over his and force it down, then call the penalty for a false slap.

Apparently I need to bring a deck of cards up to my aunt's for Christmas. *really wants to play now*

-Tabby
the "and I am not kidding about the 'no rings' part!" princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J.S.Mayne
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.S.Mayne   E-mail J.S.Mayne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
Playing cards with my family is one of the things I am most looking forward to this Christmas, so I was wondering if others have traditional games they like to play at family gatherings.

Last year I got really angry at my cousins, because they "decided" unilaterally that we wouldn't have Christmas Eve at my grandparents like we always have, because one of their baby's-daddy wanted his kid for Christmas Eve, my Grandma was saying she didn't want to do the big Christmas Eve thing at their house because it had been hellish the year before (I wasn't there, because I was preparing to move back to the state a couple months later, but if I had been, I know I could have smoothed a lot of the problems over), it was more convenient for them to exchange gifts after Christmas, blah blah. After I got over my initial indignation, I called up Grandma and asked her if it would be ok for just me, and my sister, and my parents, and my aunt (these cousins' mother) if she wanted to, to come over and just play cards like we traditionally do when we're all together. She said it was ok, and somehow miracuously, even though they thought they couldn't make it, so tried to cancel it for me, my cousins showed up with their kids too.

This year, my aunt and cousins "decided" for me that Christmas Eve should be at my house (I think they were surprised when I agreed), then about a month ago, decided again that "we" weren't going to be able to do Christmas Eve at all. Once again, I called up my Grandma and asked if we could play cards there on Christmas Eve.

Anyway, to the main point, the game we like to play is called "Hand and Foot." I've also heard it referred to as "Hands and Feet" by someone from my hometown. It is similar to Canasta, only red threes are really bad (-500 points if you have one unplayed when someone else goes out), and there are two hands of 11 cards, a hand you play first, and a "bootie", which is a second hand you pick up and play once you play all the cards in your first hand.

I've been playing it since I was too young to even count up my cards. It makes a very good get-together game, because it doesn't take an enormous amount of concentration so it's a good excuse to get us all around the table to just chat, and because any number of people can play, you just need one more deck of cards than you have people.

So, what do you play when your family is together?

WOW! We play hand and foot too!

You are the only other person I've found that plays that game.

Thats so cool!

--------------------
There is a difference between wanting someones opinion and caring what they think. J.S.Mayne

Posts: 1 | From: Baraboo, WI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We play Trivial Pursuit and Pictionary and whatever game we got for Christmas. My favourite is Trivial Pursuit because it's the only time I'm smarter than my brother.

After a few glasses of egg nog we're all ready for a rousing game of Bulls**t.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trivial Pursuit is also a holiday tradition in my family, though my sister and I are no longer allowed to be on the same team. It seems that between the two of us we have absorbed every bit of useless trivia in the world.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We play Pitch. If we can't get enough people who remember the rules (or are drunk enough for us to think our teams are even) we play Spades instead.

I have learned many, many things about my father and his siblings from late-night-until-two-in-the-morning Pitch games!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 600 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabbymago:
I've always loved Spoons, but nothing can surpass my love for Egyptian Ratscrew (kid-friendly variant names listed at the top of the page).

This makes me really nostalgic. I never really played that much with my family, but I played it a lot with my friends in high school.

I was a band geek, and because we all were generally trustworthy kids, we had a pretty much open-door policy to use the back hallway of the band room (in between various storage rooms) to congregate during any free periods. Heh, generally trustworthy: knowing our band director would always give us a study hall pass if we asked, sometimes a group of us would put all our names on one, forge his name to it (always signing your four-letter name in capital block letters is making it a bit too easy), and head on down.

So, I often found a willing group to play. I tended to be pretty cutthroat, so I was always one of the last players. I remember one time, the game was down to two of us, me and one of my best male friends. After awhile of hunching over closer and closer to the pile, my friend pointed out to me that my wearing a tank top with no bra and leaning over like that in front of him was making it a little difficult for him to concentrate on the cards. I told him, "good, then I'll win!" [Smile]

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages