snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Pets Named After Characters (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pets Named After Characters
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, my family had two beagle/terrir mixes. I named one bandit; I named him because his facial markings looked like and old bandit mask (I stole the idea from "Little House On The Prairie). My sister named the smaller pup Smokie after "Smokie And The Bandit."
I also owned two ferrets; one named Nikita after "La Femme Nikkita" (the movie, not the television show), the second was Logan, after Wolverine.

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
girlshapedlovedrug
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girlshapedlovedrug   E-mail girlshapedlovedrug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a little girl, I named my pet hamster Beakman, after my favorite tv show at the time, Beakman's World.
I had a cat I named Monkey Pants, after Oz's line from Buffy the Vampire Slayer "I mock you with my monkey pants".
My dog's name is Skippy, and I swear he's not named after peanut butter.

Posts: 8 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had two mice called Lyra and Pantailamon (from His Dark Materials) and two others called Merlin and Gandalf. I also had a rat called Leeloo (Fifth Element).

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My male cat is named Anakin....husband's a huge Star Wars fan.

ETA: He is a black and white cat...I wanted to name him Russifie after the cat in Cinderella.

Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tristan is named after a Yorkshire vet from All Creatures Great and Small. Dad and I wanted to name him Kerry (because Tristan was born on election day and Bush, George, and John wouldn't have made good names)

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My little cat is named Pixel but she has yet to walk through walls.
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My kitty is also named Pixel after the literary cat. No wall walking by her either. Maybe she needs to be orange (she's a grey tabby).

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzyGirlElf
Deck the Malls

Icon 202 posted      Profile for FuzzyGirlElf   E-mail FuzzyGirlElf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My mom named her golden lab puppy Homer, after the cartoon Simpson guy (and he IS quite an idiot dog. Self-fufilling prophey, there.)
Homer the idiot dog reminded me of my oh-so-curious-and-goofy bun named Pippin. I've had several rabbits and none of them got into trouble like Pippin did.

Back when we got our two rats, my husband and I were watching a lot of (season 2?) the Simpsons on dvd. We couldn't decide on named until we watched the episode where Bart and Maggie are discussing what Marge should name their new baby sister. The rats became Ariel and Kool Moe D.

Posts: 257 | From: Georgia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our family used to have a cat named Dr. Carter, off Noah Wyle's character on ER.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our cat's name is Stripe. Though we chose the name because of the prominent orange stripe on her forehead, it was inspired by the character of that name in Gremlins.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've named most of my pets after TV shows and movies.

I had Guinea Pigs named Ren & Stimpy. The funny thing is Stimpy was a female and Ren got her pregnant

My dog is named Titus, after the character from Rome. If I ever get a second dog, I would name him Lucius.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Son is a huge "Potter" fan so his 3 birds are Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They all fit their names so well. Especially clumsy Ron.

I had some rats that were themed. They were Winchester (Chester), Gatling, Smith, and Wesson.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eternalsaturn
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eternalsaturn   Author's Homepage   E-mail eternalsaturn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was little, we had a parakeet that I named "Mega Bird" because someone had stuck a Mega Man (as in the video game character) sticker to the bottom of his cage.

In my defense, I was seven at the time...

--------------------
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

my dA page

Posts: 57 | From: Huntington, WV | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dog's name is Luke Skywalker...my son named him.
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darth Credence
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darth Credence     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have three dogs, and their names are Chewbacca, Darth, and Jabba. [Smile]

--------------------
Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

Posts: 262 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a cat named Illya Purrryakin. (Man From U.N.C.L.E.)

SO had a cat named Purrrfect Tommee. (Buckaroo Banzai)

Stepdaughter had a pony named Madmartigan. (Willow)

And another named Bagheera. (Jungle Book)

And we had a dog named Taz (cartoons)

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm let's see.

We had goldfish "Bert and Ernie" when I was a kid.

My parents had a couple of sports figure names for dogs, a terrier-type black and white dog named "Riggins" because when they brought him home he waddled up to the TV and started watching the Redskins game, and a big, thick-headed black lab they named "Tyson" (unlike his namesake, he was an absolute sweetheart).

My first cat was a tabby with the semi-long-hair, he was kind of scraggly because he'd been taken from his mom too early and didn't know how to properly clean himself. After we adopted him he became known as "Riff Raff" aka Rocky Horror.

My most recent kitty before we had to adopt them out when we moved (cries) was "JD"... after the alcohol, of course!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Year Without A SeaPea
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll just go with the current pets (or this would be a LONG post).

I have a Bourke's parakeet named Pichu. She had a mate named Raichu, who unfortunately is no longer with us [Frown] I do love me some Pokemon [Big Grin]

My hedgehog is named Short Round, as in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

My leopard gecko is named Godzilla.

--------------------
you can't fight biology...

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AQB, Max's DHB
Santa eBayby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AQB, Max's DHB     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As some of you know, my cat is Sgt. Max Greevey, after the detective played by George Dzundza in the first season of "Law & Order." He was named Max when I adopted him, and he became Sgt. Max Greevey because he's a bit portly, like the original.

--------------------
"The Potato Festival will never be the same without Evelena." (from an obituary in the Charleston, WV, Gazette)

Posts: 215 | From: living here in Allentown, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention our first cat. When I was dating my husband, he got a dog (who ended up being more mine than his, even then) and she was already named Lacey. I made a joke about getting a cat named Cagney.

Two years later, we had Cagney and Lacey. We ended up having to give Lacey away to a less-travelled home (he'd just joined the Army and we were zig-zagging homes) and we kept Cagney. Cagney was almost 15 when she died.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CryoWalt
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CryoWalt   E-mail CryoWalt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luka_the_Pooka:
My mom named her golden lab puppy Homer, after the cartoon Simpson guy (and he IS quite an idiot dog. Self-fufilling prophey, there.)

Goldies play the 'Idiot Card' in hopes of getting a lighter sentence. ('Homer took a dump on the cat's head. Eh, he's an idiot' so i can't get too upset)

Our goldie that passed away(oh how I miss him [Frown] ) was named Einstein after the goldie in 'Watchers' by Dean Koontz.

Current goldie from the rescue was nicknamed 'Bones' until we fattened him up.

Posts: 524 | From: Metro Detroit, MI | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
None of my pets are named after characters. I'm so lame. [Smile]

My old black cat that still resides at my parent's old house was named Raider, after the Oakland Raiders. Raider fits his personallity perfectly, though.

The cats I have at my house are both named after alcohol, even though DW & I don't drink much more than beer. The older one is named Tanqueray. He predates me, so I'm not 100% sure how/why they came up with that name. When we were trying to name the cat we got a few years ago, my wife said "We need to name him something that sounds tough, and alcohol related, like Jack Daniels." Jack, it is.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of. Our daughter named our German Shepherd/Huskie mix "Jasmine," after the character in Disney's Aladdin, and back in the day our kids' first dog was named Indiana Bones.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGLORIA:
I had a cat named Illya Purrryakin. (Man From U.N.C.L.E.)

Boy, I love that one!!!

When I was about 8, we had a black terrier mix named Toto. Seemed like a good idea at the time. About like naming your horse Mister Ed.

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ace the cat is from Ace of Doctor Who.

Sparky was a rescue doggie but we kept his name because Sparky is the ASU Sun Devil mascot- he has an ASU collar and leash.

Silver and Scout, both deceased, were named after The Lone Ranger & Tonto's horses.

Bucky, also deceased, was after Buckwheat of the Little Rascals.

Oliver just looks like an Oliver- no story there.

We also had an red eared slider frog named Gimli- 10 points to whoever gets it [Smile]

--------------------
"The only thing a non-conformist hates more than a conformist is a non-conformist who does not adhere to the current standards of non-conformity." - found on a coffeehouse bathroom wall

Posts: 55 | From: Chandler, AZ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a person who had a palomino quarter horse named "Trigger."

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moon:
We also had an red eared slider frog named Gimli- 10 points to whoever gets it [Smile]

IIRC, John "Gimli" Rhys-Davies was in the TV show Sliders. I applaud your creativity for naming pets!

--Zamboni "Man, Jerry O'Connell grew up nice!" Rodeo

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my friends at work saw me checking this thread on my break and wanted me to let you know that he once had a black lop-eared rabbit with a white face. He called it Palpatine because its coloring and its floppy ears made it look like the evil emperor in his black hooded robe.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a cat named "Gandolf" (This was PRIOR to the movies, thank you very much) and a ferret named "Rasitlin". Dude. I was, like, 12!

And, while not a charechter, one of my show dog's registered name contained "Led Zeppelin" (Zep for his call name). Also not my fault. His owner/breeder was far older than I. He thought Jimmy Buffett was cool.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ferrets are certainly crafty enough to be named after Raistlin.

When I was very little I had a dog named Toto and then another dog named Pupcake (for Strawberry Shortcake's dog). No character names in recent years, though I did name my guinea pig Colin after actor Colin Mochrie, because the guinea had a fur crest that looked like a bald spot. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a black cat named Black Sabbath.

We had a pair of anoles named Diamonds and Dust, from the AC/DC song "Sin City."

We had a cat named "Kashmir" after the Led Zep song.

We had a pair of cats named Dazed and Confused after the Led Zep song, which also happens to be mine & DH's nicknames (he's Dazed, I'm Confused).

We had a fire bellied toad (or frog, I can't remember) named Fred, after Fred from "Scooby Doo." My then 4 year old named him.

All of our pets have had musical names, mostly after people, though.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a black tortie cat called Totoro after an anime character.
We used to have a Black Silver Marten rabbit named Ron Weasley (Harry Potter), a French Lop called Agatha Christie and her friend was called Peter Rabbit.
My daughter's cat is called Frodo and we also have Chili...(Red Hot Chili Peppers)

My ferret Monty is named after one of my fave actors...Montgomery Clift (yum yum)

Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a cat named Lessa, after a character in the Dragonriders of Pern series.

We now have a poodle named Velvety (after a character in a kids book) and a cat named Oedipuss Rex. I came up with that name (he's a Devon Rex and Dad kept calling the dog "the cat"). In the latter case, I came up with the name (including the extra S)

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel gone caroling:
Ferrets are certainly crafty enough to be named after Raistlin.

Mine always acted a little more like Tasselhoff.

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster Joe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid I had a dog named Timmy, after the dog in Enid Blyton's Famous Five books.
I had a rat called Lucifera a couple of years ago.

--------------------
You're saying "Long Live Rock n Roll!" not "Let's go home and drink a beer"

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages