snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Hogfather on TV (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hogfather on TV
Thordis
Deck the Malls

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Thordis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a quick post to ask if anyone plans to watch Sky One's adaptation of Hogfather in a few minutes?

The trailers look fantastic and a quick peek at the script book seems to show that they've left most of my favourite scenes in. I can't wait!

--------------------
Daria: "I almost killed a dog today"
Jane: "Gonna work your way up to humans slowly?"

Posts: 385 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*whimper* Let us poor saps in the States know how it is!

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I could, I really do. But I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD (or someone puts the whole thing on YouTube [Big Grin] ).
I've only seen stills so far, but I must say it looks like the casting was excellent...

I'm jealous.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thordis
Deck the Malls

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Thordis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow's second installment. I absolutely loved it, it stays so true to the book and the casting is spot on.

It was the attention to detail I was most impressed with-it was just like stepping into the books. There was even a bowl of mint imperials on Lord Downey's desk. The woman who played Susan was very good-I've not seen her in anything before. If I had one teeny-tiny complaint it would be that Marc Warren's accent was a bit odd. It was like he couldn't decide whether to be American or Irish and it jarred a bit. But that was the only thing I could think of that I would change. Definitely one to buy when it comes out on DVD!

--------------------

Posts: 385 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ean
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ean   E-mail Ean   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stormfeather:
*whimper* Let us poor saps in the States know how it is!

Never mind you lot... [Wink]

Let us poor saps in the UK who don't have satellite watch it first.

I read an interview with Marc Warren yesterday, he said he saw the Johnny Depp version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory just before he auditioned and borrowed the voice from there.

--------------------
"Any more of this nonsense and we'll have a short, sharp visit from the Smack Fairy!"

"Music will get you through times of no love better than love will get you through times of no music"
- GiNGER - Something To Believe In

Posts: 178 | From: Shropshire, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wellen
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wellen   E-mail Wellen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't notice, When is the second part coming on? Please don't tell me next Sunday. I'll be back in the states then.
Posts: 17 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoyed it and will be tuning in tomorrow too. The second part is coming on tomorrow night Wellen.

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wellen
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wellen   E-mail Wellen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh thanks. I just thought about it and logged on Skyone to find out. http://www.skyone.co.uk/hogfather/ if anyone wants to see some of the stuff they have for it
Posts: 17 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*humph* Don't have Sky so I hope they bring it out on DVD really soon. I've been waiting for a decent Pratchett adaptation for ages. How was Ian Richardson as Death? And did David Jason get Albert 'right'? I worry that he will have played Albert in too jokey a manner.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't see it, but I read that Nigel Planner and Tony Robinson are in it. Nice nod to the Discworld games there.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[jealous]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm waiting for the DVD too. Flipping Sky TV...

I have mixed feelings, though - it's definitely about time some of his books were adapted (odd that it hasn't happened before, really) but I'm not sure I actually want to watch it. In the stills I've seen, Death doesn't look as I picture him, and I'm worried I won't be able to read the book again if I don't like it.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I generally quite liked it. I liked the look of the thing - it felt pretty Discworldly. I imagine this would've been very confusing and weird for a newcomer to Discworld though. Perhaps an odd choice for the first Discworld adaptation.

Teatime's voice was very unexpected and a bit out of synch (something like Peter Lorre meets Mickey Mouse), but it worked okay - it certainly made him strange and off-kilter. A pretty major weak link though was Death - at no point did it feel like he was anything other than a guy with a rubber mask on, and it wasn't a very good rubber mask. Didn't convince at all. I also think Christopher Lee, who did Death's voice in the animated films, was better than whoever did it this time. Mostly good, but this Death sounded a little like a harmless old blusterer at times rather than having Lee's deep and imposing tone.

I'll give the second part a go though - loads of exposition in the first part, so we should get the pay off tonight, which'll hopefully have a bit more meat to it.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thordis
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thordis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually really liked Ian Richardson as Death, although I would have added a bit more echo to get the CAPITAL LETTERS right. I was disappointed the mask didn't move when he spoke though, but you can't have everything.

Cinnamon David Jason trod a fine line as Albert. He got him mostly right but he did get a bit too jokey at times. There was a needless running gag with a dog end that grated a bit. I wondered why they cast him as I feel he's too plump for Albert, but I supposed they needed a big name to sell it.

Joss Ackland is Ridcully.

Richard I'd give it a go. I'm the world's pickiest watcher when it comes to adaptations of books I love (to the extent that I've never watched the LOTR films as I would be tutting about then for weeks after). Watching Hogfather I sat with a big grin on my face because it was so close to what I imagined.

Hoping for the Librarian to make an appearance tonight.

--------------------

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thordis:
I actually really liked Ian Richardson as Death, although I would have added a bit more echo to get the CAPITAL LETTERS right. I was disappointed the mask didn't move when he spoke though, but you can't have everything.

I've not seen it yet (Terrestrial only at my gaff!) But I never pictured DEATH's face moving when he spoke. From the stills that I have seen I was a little put off by his bug eyes though. In my mind's eye they are infinitely deep sockets.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what you Brits are talking about.

[fish]

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I hate you all.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When I saw he was in it I thought for a minute then decided he would probably be good. It wasn't a casting choice I would have thought of though, although I don't think I ever really had anyone specific in mind for Ridcully.

Christopher Lee would have been my obvious choice for Death though.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thordis
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thordis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnamon:
quote:

When I saw he was in it I thought for a minute then decided he would probably be good. It wasn't a casting choice I would have thought of though, although I don't think I ever really had anyone specific in mind for Ridcully.

Christopher Lee would have been my obvious choice for Death though.

I hadn't thought of anyone for Ridcully either, for all that he's one of my favourites. Yet from the second he was on the screen he was perfect. I actually squealed like a little girl! They seem to have used Paul Kidby's drawings for a lot of the sets and costumes, which is as it should be.

Sorry everyone who hasn't seen it-I'm not making it any easier am I? [Razz]

--------------------

BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
....the depths of my jealousy are as the unfathomable depths of the surging sea.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate you guys! I wanna see it toooooooo! [Frown]

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a DVD player that will play Region 2 PAL DVDs.

'Cause I doubt the DVD will be coming out over here soon.

When is it due in the UK?

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thordis
Deck the Malls

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Thordis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGLORIA:
I have a DVD player that will play Region 2 PAL DVDs.

'Cause I doubt the DVD will be coming out over here soon.

When is it due in the UK?

Don't know- I've just checked amazon for you and it just says they will email when it becomes available.

No Librarian tonight [Frown] but we did get a good look at HEX (complete with anthill inside sticker) and Ponder was in it more-again looking just as I imagined. The one thing I would say is that Teatime's accent was just not working-he would have been much more creepy with a recieved pronuciation accent I think.

I hope they continue the adaptations-maye next Hogswatch they could do Lords and Ladies with Joss Ackland as Ridcully and Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax. I can but dream.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really wanted to watch this, but we were at my brother in law's and after 3 minutes he said "this is rubbish" and turned over. Then he went to bed half an hour later- just long enough for us to have missed enough to not know what was going on. I was most annoyed- and they don't seem to be putting it on Sky2 or 3, either. Grr.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
I have no idea what you Brits are talking about.

[fish]

I'm one of them, and I have precious little idea too.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody Sky One. They've already stolen Lost from me and now I can't watch the Hogfather either.

Grumble grumble grumble...

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pikey Snow Queen:
Bloody Sky One. They've already stolen Lost from me and now I can't watch the Hogfather either.

Grumble grumble grumble...

The git's kept advertising it on Sky 3 too, which is available on freeview, whereas Sky 1 isn't.

The first time I saw the trailer I got really excited and thought it looked excellent, I was so dissapointed when it got to the end of the trailer and said "exclusive to sky 1" what bloody use is that to a sky 3 viewer [Mad]

(yes I know it's supposed to encourage me to subscribe to sky, but that's not going to happen)

Scout

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
I'm one of them, and I have precious little idea too.

Terry Pratchett is an awesome writer. Very clever. Very funny. Very satirical. Shrewd social commentary.

And an orangutan. What more could one want?

Most of his books are in the Diskworld universe. A fantasy world where magic works, riding on the back of four elephants standing on the back of a huge turtle.

Terry's Web Site

Terry Pratchet on Wikipedia

Hogfather is one of his Diskworld books. It's recently been made into a live action television movie (some of his books were previously done in animation).

It looks to be a great movie. I can't wait to see it. But I'll have to. [Frown]

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do they change the spelling to "Diskworld" for the US editions? In the UK it's "Discworld".
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nay, it's "Discworld" here, too. However, Sergeant Colon is renamed Sergeant Rumsfeld over here....

Brad "no, I'm having you on" from Georgia

ETA: If this were available on DVD, I'd buy a PAL-compatible machine just to get it and watch it. I always thought my late writing partner, Tom Fuller, would have made a splendid Mustrum Ridcully.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, in the U.S. it's spelled "Hogwarts."

Mack da "I kid, I kid, it's Discworld here too" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I got it was Pratchett but I know nothing beyond he's called Terry and writes what are supposed to be funny books.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Hogfather is his book about Father Christmas / Santa Claus and other childhood traditions. (Well, it's not, it's about the Hogfather going missing and Death having to stand in for him and so on. But it's a Christmassy book and so that's why they chose it for a Christmas adaptation.)

I was glad to see that Anoia, Goddess of Things That Get Stuck In Drawers, makes a personal appearance in Wintersmith. (I thought she'd been mentioned in Hogfather or even Small Gods, but Wikipedia says she was first mentioned in Going Postal, and I wouldn't dare disagree with anybody geeky enough to have written that article.)

Brad from Georgia

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my old friend Tom, on the right. You Pratchett friends will see why he reminded me of Mustrum Ridcully.

-

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages