snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Songs whose titles are not in the lyrics (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Songs whose titles are not in the lyrics
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an eclectic few;

Simon & Garfunkel - Kathy's Song
Jackson Browne - The Load Out
The Beatles - Ballad of John & Yoko
Tom Waits - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis.
Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody
Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Neil Young - After the Goldrush
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
And on a seasonal note...
The Pogues & Kirsty Mac- Fairytale of New York

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about my favorites, the good old Grateful Dead:
"Bird Song"
"Estimated Prophet"
"The Golden Road(To Unlimited Devotion)"
"Greatest Story Ever Told"
"New Speedway Boogie"
"Wharf Rat"

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloodhound Gang - "Three Point One Four Five"
Bloodhound Gang - "Magna Cum Nada"
Bloodhound Gang - "The Bad Touch"
Bloodhound Gang - "Right Turn Clyde"
Bloodhound Gang - "Fire Water Burn"
Bloodhound Gang - "Your Only Friends Are Make Believe"

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, most of the ones that popped into my head have already been mentioned. I'll just add:

"#1 Crush" - Garbage

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Supervixen by Garbage as well

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Cactus:

The Beatles:
Norweigan Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

According to the lyrics:

And when I awoke, I was alone
This bird has flown.
So, I lit a fire.
Isn't it good, Norweigan Wood.

Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Wombling Song' by The Wombles. [Smile]

Do songs called 'The National Anthem' count?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several by Al Stewart. Off the top of my head I can name "Apple Cider Reconstituted", "Flying Sorcery" and "Roads to Moscow", but I'm sure there are a bunch of others.

Has anyone mentioned Paul Simon's "El Condor Pasa"? Or "Wednesday Morning, 9 a.m."? How about "Duncan's Song"?

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rush had YYZ, but that was an instrumental, so I am not sure if it counts...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Clint Eastwood" by the Gorillaz
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Annie's Song -- John Denver

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"59th Street Bridge Song" by Simon & Garfunkel.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window" by Bob Dylan - the last five words do appear, but not the first two.
The Band, "The Weight" and "Chest Fever"
Procol Harum, "Toujours L'Amour," "A Rum Tale," and most of the songs on the A Salty Dog album (although the title track isn't among them).
Harry Chapin, "Mercenaries," "Mismatch," and I think "Sniper" also qualifies. Not sure, but I'm not going to sit through all eleven minutes of it just now to confirm that. [Wink]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are a few I can think of:

"So You've Been Brainwashed Too" - New Radicals
"Strange Loop" - Liz Phair
"Divorce Song" - Liz Phair
"Nostalgia" - Cracker
"Jo Jo's Jacket" & "Hook" by Stephen Malkmus

A lot of the other ones I can think of have been mentioned already.

We could be here a while!

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MamaBird
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Good Riddance", Green Day

--------------------
It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate.

Posts: 1034 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if anyone else has agreed to it, but it was pointed out on Page 1 that we're not counting intrumentals. The song has to have lyrics for the title not to be among them.

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how you could count instrumentals, since there aren't any words in them! [Razz]

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawonga

(No, it's not called "Whiskey Drink, Vodka Drink," nor is it called "Pissing the Night Away.")

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J.G. Walker:
The version I heard was that Ringo Starr was present when Eric Clapton and George Harrison wrote the song and mistook the word "Bridge" (as in the part of the song) for "Badge."

I know Harrison played on that song, but I've never heard or read where any of the "involved" parties told the story, so it may be an UL. Probably won't hear it from George now, either. Shame.

Actually, I first read the story in George's autobiography, I Me Mine. I'd say that's about as authoritative as it gets, unless he was pulling our legs.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By the Goo Goo Dolls:
"Acoustic #3"
"Iris"
"Hate This Place"

Most of their songs on that album (Dizzy Up the Girl) only mentioned the song's title once in a really random place (Slide and Broadway being the notable exceptions).

Also, my best friend contributes most anything by Panic! At the Disco. I have never heard anything by them myself, but she loves to babble on about how most of their song titles are really surreal and have nothing to do with their songs.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

The James Gang - Funk #49

And as they also did Funk #48, does that mean there are another few out there?
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trampled Underfoot
by Led Zep.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all of Type O Negative's "Slow, Deep, and Hard" album.
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Arlo Guthrie- Cooper's Lament & Gabriel's Mother's #13 Highway Blues.

Elton John- Hymn 2000, the Greatest Discovery, Talking Old Soldiers, and The Last Song--just to name a few [Smile]

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J.G. Walker
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.G. Walker   E-mail J.G. Walker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
quote:
Originally posted by J.G. Walker:
The version I heard was that Ringo Starr was present when Eric Clapton and George Harrison wrote the song and mistook the word "Bridge" (as in the part of the song) for "Badge."

I know Harrison played on that song, but I've never heard or read where any of the "involved" parties told the story, so it may be an UL. Probably won't hear it from George now, either. Shame.

Actually, I first read the story in George's autobiography, I Me Mine. I'd say that's about as authoritative as it gets, unless he was pulling our legs.
Good enough for me. I have to read that autobiography. I miss George.

--------------------
"We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot for sinners. His standards are quite low."- Bishop Desmond Tutu

Posts: 17 | From: Chickasaw, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Logical Song" by Supertramp? They use the word "logical" in the lyrics, but never the full title.

ETA: Same with "Breakfast in America" by Supertramp. They use the words "breakfast" and "America" in the lyrics, but never the actual phrase "Breakfast in America".

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't believe I left out Janis Joplin - "Farewell Song" and "Intruder".

Also John Prine - "Spanish Pipedream" and probably a few others.

Cream - "Mother's Lament" and "SWLABR". Even though the latter is an acronym, only two of the words appear in the lyrics. Points for knowing which ones.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
I don't know how you could count instrumentals, since there aren't any words in them! [Razz]

Sorry. To make up for that goof, here are a few Rush songs (with lyrics):

Countdown
A Farewell To Kings
A Passage To Bangkok
Afterimage
Circumstances
Different Strings
Distant Early Warning
Jacob's Ladder
Manhattan Project
Presto
Rivendell
Okay, the list goes on and on. The list of songs WITH the title in the lyrics may be shorter for this band... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Affirmation" by Savage Garden.

Many songs are subtitled so that you can identify them better, including a few that have been mentioned here. "Good Riddance" by Green Day is subtitled "Time of your Life" and "59th St. Bridge" is subtitled "Feelin' Groovy."

quote:
Originally posted by A Guy Named Goo:
Also, my best friend contributes most anything by Panic! At the Disco. I have never heard anything by them myself...

Count yourself as lucky.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bob Dylan- From a buick 8

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
"Nostalgia" - Cracker

Also, "Teen Angst."

Front242 - "XXX Girlfriend"
Harvey Danger - "Flagpole Sitta"
Blink 182 - "Dammit"
Live - "Selling the Drama"
Nirvana - "About a Girl"
Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees"
The Smiths - "Shakespeare's Sister"
Talking Heads - "Life During Wartime"
Tool - "Aenema"

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freshman:
Bob Dylan- From a buick 8

It's "From a Buick Six". That is the title of a STephen King book.

Sister "and I believe it's a short story collection" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From a Buick 8 isn't a short story collection. It's one continuous story, with flashbacks.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these I'm not sure about. I'm trying to run through them in my head without actually listening to them, and some of them are pretty obscure:

From the 'Songfacts' list - "What's Up?" - 4 Non Blondes

"Run Like Hell" - Pink Floyd
"Journey of Man" - Cirque du Soliel
"D.O.A" - Bloodrock
"Mephistophele's Return" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
"After the Fall" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Many of the "Adiemus" songs (Composer Karl Jenkins used made up words for the lyrics, and they aren't necessarily reflected in the titles)

And to really stretch it:
"Kiseki no Umi" (Sea of Miracles) - Sakamoto Maaya

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, how could I forget one of my favorite songs: "Ballad of the Sin Eater" By Ted Leo & RX

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages