snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » The worst Christmas specials and TV movies ever (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The worst Christmas specials and TV movies ever
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 217 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not every Christmas movie or television special becomes an enduring classic, destined for annual repeats and holiday marathons.

In fact, many of these ill-fated attempts at Christmas cheer aren't even available on DVD. They've been forgotten like misfit toys, and justly so.

Here are our picks for the 10 worst Christmas movies and TV specials. Beware — they're pure jingle hell.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/l/content/oh/story/living/holiday/2006/12/05/ddn120606lifebadholidaytv.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Babes in Toyland?! I love Babes in Toyland! Never realised that Drew Barrymore or Keanu Reeves were in it, though.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BiT was... oddly spooky. An example of something that is made for children but instead of staying sweet and pleasant, reveals some of the darker side of childrens' imaginations.

Getting harder to find movies like that lately, I think.

Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember it being spooky, although it's been a while since I've seen it.

From the link
quote:
Barrymore, who was drinking and doing drugs by age 12, played a little girl who bumps her head and wakes up in Toyland on Christmas Eve.
I don't see what this has to do with the movie. I mean, I don't think it was all that good, but there's really no evidence of her drinking/drug use in the movie.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
Babes in Toyland?! I love Babes in Toyland! Never realised that Drew Barrymore or Keanu Reeves were in it, though.

Are you thinking of the one with Annette Funicelo?

I myself have never seen the one mentioned in the article.

Pixie"Toyland, toyland"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheepishly admits I probably watched the pac-man special when it came out... I watched the Saturday morning cartoon religiously even though I knew it was awful, just because it was pac-man.

Edit: because "aful" isn't a word in English that I know of.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I *love* Babes in Toyland with Reeves & Barrymore. Its as cheesy as all get out but its so much campy fun to watch. And as a Keanu fan, its a bonus because he sings!!

I saw 'Silent Night, Deadly Night' at a party in Jr High. All I remember is hiding my eyes a lot from the gory scenes & boobs.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" is hilarious, I watch it every year. As for "Jingle All the Way", it's definitely not the brightest thing out there, but I always considered it a tolerable-enough Christmas movie for young kids.

I agree with the article on the eight others though (well, the ones that I've seen anyways). Bad stuff!

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What - is there no-one to defend the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Here is a nice Star Wars Holiday Special fan site for those of you who might have missed the full horror of the event.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:

I love it too, but I hope you're thinking of the original version with Annette Funicello. That one is indeed wonderful!

I remember trying to convince my parents to videotape the PacMan special when it was on (our first Christmas with a VCR!) and having them refuse. I guess they were right to do so. They did let me watch it in the end, at least. I don't recall being sorry I wouldn't have it on tape to watch again!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:

Egad. It's the only one in the list that I've actually seen - and I remembered it only vaguely. Since seeing the footage again on the net, I now realise I'd clearly blotted out most of the horror!

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids and I love "Jack Frost" and "Jingle All the Way." Poo on the reviewer!

IMO, he missed one: this new piece o' crap starring Steve Guttenberg as the son-of-and-soon-to-be-the-new Santa. We wasted an entire evening watching both parts.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid (in the late 60's/early 70's), we lived in a small town at the bottom of a narrow valley, and the one and only channel we had on TV was the low-on-budget Swiss French Television that would bring the same two movies on every holiday, year after year after year :

How Green was my Valley
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033729/

The King and I
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049408/

... not really bad movies per se, and not too glurgy for Xmas (I understand there's much worse than that), but if see one of those two once more, my head will explode.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd put Mr. Hanky on my list.

I really like the Laurel and Hardy Babes in Toyland, though the juvenile lovers are fast-forward fodder. Stan's daughter, by the way, gave her blessing to the colorized version because "if they'd had the money, my father and Babe would have done the film in color."

How about the awful TV version of It's a Wonderful Life? Or the original film with the alternate killing-spree ending?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's something wrong with that list if they forgot Smoky Mountain Christmas, in which Dolly Parton befriends escaped orphans, develops a romance with "Mountain Dan the mountain man", and battles a horse-riding witch named Jezebel. Also, Henry Winkler directed it. So how'd that not make the cut, huh?

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a Star Trek Christmas episode that was so awful it never aired or was a friend of mine pulling my leg when he told me about it?

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander in a pear tree:
Sheepishly admits I probably watched the pac-man special when it came out... I watched the Saturday morning cartoon religiously even though I knew it was awful, just because it was pac-man.

Edit: because "aful" isn't a word in English that I know of.

They usually play it on Cartoon Network this time of year. Though with the proliferation on there now of CN originals for kids and anime, they may not this year. (And it was a daytime showing, not Adult Swim).

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey.

If you haven't seen it, you have something to be thankful for this holiday season.

Pure glurge, in stop-motion animation form.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody else remember the one from the late '80s with Andy Williams and the kids from The Cosby Show? I seem to recall there was some sort of parody of Back To The Future involved in the story - to the extent that there was a story.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:

Here is a nice Star Wars Holiday Special fan site for those of you who might have missed the full horror of the event.

Dropbear

I have never understood why Lucas won't let this one get on DVD. Yes, it's bad. I saw it when it originally aired and knew it, though I didn't understand the depth of bad it was. Thing is, there is such an awareness of it due to the 'Net and even bootlegs can be found if you look...seems to me there'd be a ton of money to be made in putting it on DVD along with some other stuff, maybe Lucas doing a commentary on what a bad idea it was, things like that.

The fans have money and they would buy.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that Lucas's cash reserves are sufficently large that he can indulge his pride (and ego) by pretending that the holiday special didn't exist.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TV Specials of British sitcoms are normally interesting because they normally longer than the normal 30 minutes.

The writers of Only Fools & Horses and One Foot In The Grave managed most times to stretch things to 90 minues (no breaks either, being BBC shows!) & produce something really good.

One normally good sitcom in the 1990s which tried this with mixed results was 2.4 Children. This show often could become surreal. (think of it as a British Rosanne trying to be a live action Simpsons!)

The lamest Xmas special seemed to be so short of ideas that even as a regular episode it would have been sub-par, but 40 minutes of most of the regulars locked in a cupboard on a cruise liner was a real effort to watch, & makes 2001 seem quick paced by comparison.

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:

If you haven't seen it, you have something to be thankful for this holiday season.

Yeah. Just think Dumbo, if his mom dies on top of him.

Merry Christmas kids!

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit that I've never seen it, but when I saw He-Man & She-Ra : A Christmas Special today, I immediately thought of this thread.

Bad "Watch out Baby Jesus - it's Skeletor" Ronald

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:

Yeah. Just think Dumbo, if his mom dies on top of him.
And instead of Timothy Mouse, there's an angel that sounds like Brenda Vaccaro.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmph. I LIKE Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey. [Razz] I'm also a big sap, especially for little animals that get teased.

My husband made me watch some of the Star Wars Holiday Special on YouTube, and I've yet to forgive him for that.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
Wasn't there a Star Trek Christmas episode that was so awful it never aired or was a friend of mine pulling my leg when he told me about it?

Although there was a Halloween episode at the beginning of the second season entitled "Catspaw", there was never any Christmas episode. Your friend might have been taken in by the story of A Most Illogical Holiday, which is clearly satire (given both the Harlan Ellison reference and the fact of how bad any TOS episode would have to be to not be shown, seeing as how Spock's Brain and The Way To Eden made it to air)

buf 'that'd be like a script too stupid for the Three Stooges [Wink] ' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, but where where WHERE is Santa Claus?

You know, the one where he's fighting Satan? With the robot reindeer? And the little child slaves from around the world?

And don't forgot the computer with lips

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to disappoint, but it was the Drew one I was thinking of. I didn't realise it was her because I was too young to know, when I last watched it.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm grateful to learn that I'm not the only one that thought Jack Frost was more depressing than anything.

But hey, what do I know...I actually thought Eight Crazy Nights was hilarious.

king "or is that Sandler?" fan1978

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
How about the awful TV version of It's a Wonderful Life? Or the original film with the alternate killing-spree ending?

What?!?! [Eek!]

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brad, I assume the "killing-spree" ending you refer to relates to the Saturday Night Live spoof? It wasn't really a spree, but the whole town burst into Potter's office after Uncle Billy realized what happened to the money.

With spot-on impressions of James Stewart (Dana Carvey) and Lionel Barrymore (Jon Lovitz, I think), it was hilarious!

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Growing up I got stuck watching those horrible Bing Crosby family specials, when he acted like the whole family had talent. There's nothing entertaining about a kid struggling to get through the lyrics of a Christmas carol, nervous & way off key.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
Brad, I assume the "killing-spree" ending you refer to relates to the Saturday Night Live spoof? It wasn't really a spree, but the whole town burst into Potter's office after Uncle Billy realized what happened to the money.

With spot-on impressions of James Stewart (Dana Carvey) and Lionel Barrymore (Jon Lovitz, I think), it was hilarious!

No, a "Simpsons" episode had Bart and Lisa unearthing two cannisters of movie footage: the end of Casablanca in which Ilsa gets together with Rick and they kill Hitler, and the "killing spree" ending of It's a Wonderful Life. By the way, I saw about fifteen minutes of the live-action "Year Without a Santa Claus" last night: the Heat Miser/Snow Miser number. It...just...made...my ....list.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
I suspect that Lucas's cash reserves are sufficently large that he can indulge his pride (and ego) by pretending that the holiday special didn't exist.

Nick

Hopefully he will marry and leave everything to Yoko Ono before he passes away. Then she'll release it despite his wishes.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages