snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » 89 Most Redundant, Repetitive Clichés in Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 89 Most Redundant, Repetitive Clichés in Music
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://music.aol.com/feature/rock-cliches-page-1
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that was a boring, unfunny waste of my time.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
then why did you read it? I'm assuming you went through all four or five pages of it before discovering this.

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else feel that the Talking Heads albums listed in item #76 (Beatles Album Cover Imitations) just didn't look all that much like the Beatles albums they were supposedly imitating? I could see similarities, but it wasn't the "homage" that the others were.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarity: I kept hoping they'd have something worth reading somewhere in the countdown, but they didn't.

TwoGuyswithaHat: Totally agree.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly, I thought the first Talking Heads album they showed ("Best of ...") was far more reminiscent of the Rolling Stones' "Some Girls" than it was of "A Hard Day's Night." And I hardly think every album cover picturing a group's four members each inside a square can be considered an homage to "Let It Be."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This made me snicker:

quote:
Outside of pole dances on demand, the T&A obsessed are assured at least two flotation devices if they're ever in a transatlantic plane crash.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but if all of that stopped, would it technically be rock 'n' roll anymore? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did take issue with some their items where they confused tradition with cliche. The one that particularly stuck out at me as the item on cars. Singing about cars is part of what rock and roll is, teenage rebellion. It can even be argued that the first rock and roll song (Rocket 88) was about a car*

*the song was about a car, the argument is whether it is the first rock and roll song or not.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a little aggrivated that they included the RHCP in groups who stripped on Rolling Stone for publicity, since at the time they did that shoot, their hook was to appear naked (with stragetically placed socks, as we well know). They were actually being true to their image, not capitalizing on "naked on Rolling Stone = BIG MONEY!".

And with the album covers, I can't remember the name of the band they claimed ripped off the Let It Be cover, but it looked more to me like they based their cover art on an Andy Warhol painting than on the Beatles.

I did, however, amuse myself for another hour and a half reading one of their links, which was to the 50 Greatest Dead Rock Stars or something like that. Although the list was from Blender (and I believe this one is, too, which explains a lot since their lists are notoriously bad), it was actually a pretty good, well-thought out article and seemed to be fitting tributes to the musicians that it listed, not out to tear them apart as Blender is wont to do (hence the name).

ETA: And was it just me, or was the article in the OP just a little hard to read, format-wise? Maybe not hard to read, but it seemed really sloppy.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jordashe
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So.... effectively, rock stars are unable to do anything right. They are not allowed to do charity work, they aren't allowed to do anything that another musician has done before.

This is written by someone who obviously is sick of seeing unoriginal acts, but won't move beyond the modern pop-rock music.

Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, by his words, the rock music may as well go out of business..Jesus

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised they didn't mention the cliched rhymes of "dance", "romance", and "chance" as well as "girl" and "world".

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto. I fully expected the rhyming of "arms" with "charms" to be #1, as it will be if I ever make a list like that.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe there's no mentioning of referring to significant other as "baby", a cliche that's always grated on my nerves.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 217 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recorded music is so clichéd. And so is performing music in public.

- snopes

Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

- snopes

hehhahh.. yomank

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What, no "rhyming fire with desire" ?

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

- snopes

That reminds me of what another poster said on another board about the English language becoming cliche. I think I know what the person was trying to say--that it seems like everyone is speaking the English language even in countries where English isn't the primary language--but I think I was giving the poster too much benefit of the doubt.

Lists like the one in the OP is funny, but it's incredibly annoying to deal with people who take things like this too seriously. The problem is that some confuse tradition with cliche, like TwoGuyswithaHat said.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
82. Rock Dudes Throwing Up Hand Signs
It seems they don't even have a beef with any particular hand sign, just "signs" in general. Are they sick of singing, talking, and playing instruments, too? Because that's such a rock band cliché.
quote:
64. Suing Your Manager
[snip]Amy Lee hit Evanescence's former manager with so many charges -- breach of fiduciary duty, sexual assault and battery, professional negligence, currency conversion, etc. -- he'll be dry cleaning nothing but law suits for the next 12 months.

Hear that, rock stars? It's no longer cool to stand up for yourselves when The Man takes advantage of you. At least not if you do so through legal channels.
quote:
29. The Guitar Smash
When Townshend or Cobain destroyed their instruments, they meant it. Now, it's mostly macho posturing exhibited by guitarists who can barely play the thing to begin with.

I liked Nirvana as much as anyone, but the guitar smashing thing was old when Kurt Cobain was in diapers. And what did they "mean," anyway? That they had no respect for the instruments they had mastered? I'm still a little unclear on that.
quote:
7. Rehab
It was so much cooler when rock stars just kept using until they died of an overdose. Now they're all a bunch of quitters.

Did anyone else read the Mad Magazine article, "The 50 Worst Things about Music," that was published a few years ago? It was like this list, only funny.
ETA: Besides, aren't these lists becoming a little cliché themselves?

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If lyrical cliches are included, then anything about a "river flowing into the sea" or the phrase "blind but now I see" or variations thereof ought to be on the list.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egg Note:
That reminds me of what another poster said on another board about the English language becoming cliche.

vetlh ghaH qatlh wIj juppu' je jIH neH jatlh [Klingon] Dochvammey jajmey!

(Did you know that the Klingon language apparently has no word for Klingon? The things one learns...)

(edit) By the way, the writers of that autotranslation site wish to make it clear that I'm completely misusing it by treating the box labelled ""Targh Hol": UTA translations English <-> Klingon (or language of your choice)" as a translator from English into Klingon. So please don't complain to them about the bad grammar.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was worth it for this though.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages