snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » We never started a Top Chef thread on this board

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We never started a Top Chef thread on this board
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a short-lived Top Chef thread on the other format that didn't work out.

Let's start one here.

Anyone surprised tonight?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen it yet-but it's been recorded so I can see it!

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS WHAT IT IS

No, not really. I was holding my breath-- I thought Sam would go, but didn't want him to. I adore Betty but don't think she'll go the distance. I love Elia (sp) and Ilan and Sam best I think overall. They seem to be trying to make Marcel as annoying as whats-his-face last season, but he's just not quite that bad.

I tried to stay away from Top Chef this season, but I think I'm feeling PR deprived and TC is the second-best of the reality shows with people who are already well-trained, IMNSHO.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've grown weary of Betty. She's pushing me to feel sympathetic towards Marcel.

How does goofball Mike hang in there week after week? Could he be more creative and a better cook than we have been led to believe? Or just lucky?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How can anyone like Betty? She's such an unmitigated screeching bitch. The last straw for me was the Thanksgiving episode, where she doesn't say who should go until Carlos pissed her off and she started yelling he needed to go.

The spoiler thread for Top Chef at TWOP has a poster who claims s/he knows the final four. (it's final four this season instead of the 2 last season). There was only one surprise for me in the reveal.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Year Without A SeaPea
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How the HECK did I get so drawn into this show??? But I did.

Oh how I hate Betty. She is so awful! I also hate that she dresses like a teenager. SOPea and I refer to Marcel as "the Wolfman", and while I find him to be arrogant, the throw-down with Betty on the Thanksgiving episode won him some brownie points.

Sam is Mr. Serious Chef, and I think he has a shot at winning. I really like Elia though. She puts together some very odd and creative dishes.

Mike reminds me of the Saturday Night Live spoof of Iron Chef, with Charlie Sheen as the American Bachelor Chef (shark head pizza bagels, yum!).

--------------------
you can't fight biology...

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I just don't hate Betty like y'all do. I do find her to be a bit... two sided. It is pretty impressive how she can go from sticky sweet to screaming banshee in 10 seconds flat, but I guess I sort of enjoy that in a reality show participant. I usually don't get annoyed unless the person is acting obnoxious but also like they're better than everyone else. I feel like Betty does have some humility. And her food seems great much of the time. My mouth was watering over those crabcakes and I don't especially like crab. My boyfriend and I went to TGIFriday's and he had her dish there and it was pretty good. Pretty much standard TGIF fare, nothing exciting, but didn't expect much else from a chain.

Sam sort of reminds me of Tiffany from last season, with the very serious and professional demeanor.

I was sort of glad to see Frank go-- Mike bugs me, too, but Frank wouldn't shut up about it! Mike reminds me of some of my students... when he feels a challenge is too hard, he just gives up. Very irritating.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean the crabcakes from the breakfast challenge? Those weren't Betty's...they were Mia's I think.

--------------------

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

You're right! They were. That's right, Betty had that ham thing the judges loved but just looked like ham eggs and toast to me.

My mistake,
Bee

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you notice Elia's waffle, ham, cheese and egg concotion was very much like a McGriddle, McDonald's McMuffin variation using pancakes rather than an English muffin. I was stunned at the judge's surprise at the sweet and salt combination. Apparently they don't do McD's for breakfast much.

In the thumbnail view of Elia's breakfast, without my glasses on, the orange even looks like a McDonald's logo.

--------------------

Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My top three are Elia, Marcelle (can't spell his name) and Sam. I would love to see Betty and Mike go.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Elia, Cliff, Ilan, and Marcel. Betty is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, she goes from being all sweet and niceness to being a bitchy harpy in minutes. The Thanksgiving episode and her yelling at Marcel after he helped her with her dessert really bugged me. I don't quite get the Marcel dislike, he seems like a big dork to me, but I find him a bit endearing. Maybe it's the werewolf hair?

Elia is definitely my favorite though at this point. I'm rooting for her or Cliff to win.

Ilan seems like a good cook, but comes across as a bit pompous sometimes with his reactions to the other chefs.

*spoiler for last episode* *spoiler for last episode* *spoiler for last episode* *spoiler for last episode* *spoiler for last episode* *spoiler for last episode* *spoiler for last episode*

I'm SO glad that Frank is gone, the loud blustering jerk. I'm surprised that he wasn't tossed off of the show for verbally making physical threats to Marcel in the last episode. Not to mention the fact that he lied about his toothbrush being on the floor when it was in his toiletry bag, as Marcel said. Jerk.

I will be very glad when Michael is gone as well, the way he talks just irritates me and reminds me too much of the stoner boyfriend of one of my old college roommates.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

SEXY?? Betty???

--------------------

Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

SPOILERS FROM TONIGHTS EPISODE SPOILERS FROM TONIGHTS EPISODE SPOILERS FROM TONIGHTS EPISODE SPOILERS FROM TONIGHTS EPISODE SPOILERS FROM TONIGHTS EPISODE

That should do it. I just have to say that Sam just gets hotter and hotter everytime I see him.

And I'm not surprised that his team (I want to say Black team?) won the challenge. They kept food on the table and didn't run out.

Unlike the other team. If I would've been Mia, I would have raised my voice a little more. Four dishes for two hundred people? *scoffs* And they ran out of food!

I was surprised that Mia left voluntarily, though. I wish they could've kicked off Cliff. I just can't stand him.

Morrigan

--------------------

Deck the Malls

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I think I may have seen Sam crack a smile. I'm not sure, but I think so.

I have a feeling that Mia knew she was going to go. The judges didn't say who they picked, did they? They never said it was Elia. After the way Mia acted the whole time, and during the judging, she had to know she wasn't going to win. So if she "volunteers", she gets to act like the martyr for saving Elia. It was weird. And Cliff did act like a butthole.

Betty. Good Lord woman, put your wrinkled up pancake bosoms AWAY! Thank goodness for the white chef coats they wear when serving! I keep hoping that the "What Not to Wear" hosts will be the next guest judges, so they can speak to her about the difference between dressing trendy and dressing like an overgrown Bratz doll. I actually prefer when she acts like the crazy harpy, because I can't STAND the fake, sickeningly-sweet nice-nice.

--------------------

Tam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tam   E-mail Tam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go... Pack your spoilers and go...

In his blog on the Bravo website, Chef Tom Colicchio stated that they were "ready to send Elia packing" when Mia said that she would leave.

I just had to look on the website and try to find out who they had intended to send home, because I couldn't decide if they had chosen Mia or Elia.

- Tam

--------------------
"I just grabbed a teddy bear, a little princess crown, and stuck my thumb in my mouth. Now I feel kinda silly." - ChildofMusic

Posts: 129 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Watch Your Kidneys

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watch Your Kidneys   E-mail Watch Your Kidneys   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband gets a big kick out of Marcel describing himself as a "Molecular Gastronomist" and having "Master Chef" under his name during interviews.
Posts: 163 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think Cliff is more of an a** than Marcel. Cliff was the reason the team lost. He was actually leading not Elia. It was also Cliff's idea to have so few appetizers and who kept changing things at the last minute.

Marcel is young and full of himself. Marcel will hopefully grow out of it. Cliff is mature and full of himself. Not much hope for him to change.

--------------------
"The women who embraced in the wagon were Adam and Eve crossing a dark cathedral stage—no, Eve and Eve, loving one another as they would not be able to once they ate of the fruit and knew themselves as they truly were." - Lynn Cheney, Sisters.

Posts: 289 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

I had missed a little part of the show and was surprised to discover at the end that Elia was the leader. I watched most of the show thinking Cliff was. And I thought Cliff was the one who was going because of it (forgetting, of course, that he had immunity).

I'm slowly moving to RBCal's thinking about Cliff and Marcel but it would be a lot better if Marcel had a different hairstyle and lost that goofy expression. He looks like one of the Keebler elf bakers.

--------------------

Watch Your Kidneys

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watch Your Kidneys   E-mail Watch Your Kidneys   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if spoiler warnings are still needed but....
Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler

Cliff seemed like the one in charge of the group. I think Cliff was using the opportunity to try to get rid of Elia. I need to watch the episode again to see which one of them had the idea that 4 food options were a good idea. I agreed with Mia...3 seafood options. That seems like a daft idea to me considering how many people are allergic to seafood.

Posts: 163 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Ooooo, interesting theory, WYK. I'm going to rewatch with that in mind, too.

Not being the manipulative, conniving type, I forget that people are and that it happens on these shows.

--------------------

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Watch Your Kidneys:
I'm not sure if spoiler warnings are still needed but....
Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler

Cliff seemed like the one in charge of the group. I think Cliff was using the opportunity to try to get rid of Elia. I need to watch the episode again to see which one of them had the idea that 4 food options were a good idea. I agreed with Mia...3 seafood options. That seems like a daft idea to me considering how many people are allergic to seafood.

I agree! He was in charge at first, was he not? Then he decided that since he had immunity it should be someone else. By that point, they had done the planning at the least. WHen they were asked who was in charge the others should have spoken up and said Cliff was in charge at first then handed off to Elia. I am also pissed that Mia martyred herself for Elia. I liked them both. I don't think they should offer immunity challenges before "team" challenges because then the immune person can sabotage his or her team with no worry of his own ass.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Ok, I watched the rerun last night while I baked cookies.

If they showed the part where the black team picked a leader, I missed it. The way the show was edited, it sure seemed like Cliff was steering the boat and Elia was the leader in name only. But that could be just the way the show was edited. I did think it interesting that Ilan went around seeking consensus that Sam should be the leader for the orange team. I don't think that was lost on Sam. I'm sure Ilan seems Sam as the orange team member who is his biggest competition.

But going back to the black team, I didn't quite understand the first time around why Cliff looked so angry at the end when Mia was making her exit speech considering how he threw her under the bus earlier and there appeared to be so much ill will between the two. But now it does seem obvious that he was mad because Elia wasn't going to pack her knives.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sara, it's been a whwile since I watched the episode, but I vaguely recall some mention by someone (Mia, perhaps?) to the effect that since Elia had been classically-trained that it only made sense to choose her as the leader or something like that.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

I remember Elia mentioning it herself.

Morrigan

--------------------

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the biggest problem with the black team is that they decided to make 800 appetizers for a party of 200 people. That makes the assumption that people would only eat 4 appetizers apiece from their table. Call me a glutton, but at parties with finger food and canapes, I will eat FAR more than four. If they'd tripled the amount of canapes they produced, they could have won.

Unfortunately, they also made the decision to make canapes which had to be served hot and fresh, meaning they had to scramble to cook them fast enough to keep up with serving demands. If they'd had two canapes which they could have pre-prepared and had all ready before the party, and then had those to hand-out while they worked on the canapes that had to be freshly-made that would have helped.

I think their worst decisions were deciding to produce such a small quantity, and deciding to cook all their canapes during the party.

I love Elia, but I do think she made some poor decisions as far as catering goes, but her other teammates didn't do much to get her to change those decisions. I would have sent Elia home as well, even though she's my favorite chef right now, so I am glad that Mia sacrificed herself, even though I think it was a dumb move on her part, and really unnecessary since I think the loss really was on Elia's shoulders.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages