snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Foxtrot to cease dailies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foxtrot to cease dailies
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the reason why I get excited when a new geeky movie comes out, is that I know Jason and Marcus will dress up for it on opening night.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I liked Jason too. I know Bill was a fan of Calvin and Hobbes as well.

One of my favorites was when Jason was in Sunday school and they were talking about god and the force or some such and Jason then quips, "So god should sue George Lucas for stealing his idea"
Get Fuzzy's enjoyable and Frazz is cute as well, but my all time favorites will be The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
Whatever happened to Peter's blind girlfriend? I thought she was cool.

That's what I want to know. Denise is one of the coolest characters in the strip.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Put me with the others who think Foxtrot has gotten kinda stale.

If I want to read about teenage shenanigans I always check out Zits.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zits is a good comic.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodbye Jason Fox, we hardly knew ye. [Frown] I've been reading Foxtrot for as long as I can remember, I'm sad to see it go.

Not to long ago I would have agreed with everyone about Garfield. The strip went through a dry spell that lasted about 15 years, but IMHO the strip has really rebounded in the last couple months and is somewhat back in form.

Living overseas, I have to get my comics fix online. This is good because I've discovered some very funny strips that the Houston Chronical never carried. Some of my new favorites are Watch Your Head, Big Top, Pooch Cafe, and Bad Reporter. This also how I discovered Liberty Meadows, which I now own the complete collection of.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked Zits, and still do somewhat. The only problem with it is that I started readin it when I was fifteen, so it seemed like it was right on target. The more I read, the more I wish that they'd grow up so I can relate to them again.
I'll miss Foxtrot. I always liked Roger. Bumbling, but honest and loving of his family. And of course Jason, probably the real reason why Mr. Amend wrote the strip in the first place.
This conversation is making me miss Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes even more now. As well as the good Garfield (my parents had the first books)
One strip that impresses me is Blondie (Dagwood) It's over 75 years old now, but I still open the paper and find myself laughing.
I would give my tips for a month to see the "Born Loser" finally snap and start snapping necks.
Years and years, back in the first issues of MAD when it was a comic book, the artists did a parody of Bringing up Father that was side-splittingly funny. On the left side they drew the strip as normal, and a different artist drew the right pages in full dramatic form. When Maggie threw the dishes, there were the broken glasses all over the place, with Jiggs broken and bleeding. The dog, normally drawn as a stick figure, was this emaciated old mutt that starved to death on the first page. Oh, I think that was one of the funniest things MAD has ever done.

This has been another random post by Muncle

Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forceflow15
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forceflow15     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second or third, or whatever, the regrettable disappearance of Calvin and Hobbes. Even at 21, I still act so much like Calvin that it isn't even funny. (In fact, just this night I got a package in a huge box and set out to make a transmogifier).

Foxtrot was good when it was on form, but it was also sometimes miss. However, I wish it would stay as a daily because I enjoy reading it so much.

For those who are going through withdraw, I recommend Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine as well. They are both hilarious strips, especially when one falls it daily and gets to see the reasoning behind the slightly wierder strips.

--------------------
Forceflow

"There was Joye in the courtroom, but he slipped on a-peel." = Prof. Kutner

Posts: 101 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I pointed out several of the Foxtrot comics to DH that struck me as having similarities...All the star wars references, LOTR, and most recently the Wii. I loathe the Family Circus, and most definitely agree that it needs to go.

Sigh...that only leaves For Better or For Worse in our newspaper as being readable. I've always been able to relate to the middle daughter, Elizabeth. In fact, her cat made it's first appearance in the strip about two days after we got our own kitty.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The two comic strip groups I frequent were also lamenting the loss of the daily Foxtrot.

To fiil the gap, I'll second some of those already mentioned: Get Fuzzy, PBS, Frazz, Tom the Dancing Bug, Zits, and Watch your Head. I also recommend Ink Pen, a comic strip about comic strip characters (if that makes any sense), Lio, a surrealist strip with no dialog, and if you like "family strips," there's Arlo and Janis and Preteena. If your looking for a political strip to replace Boondocks, try Candorville.

For something completely different, check out Alien Loves Predator.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second Ink Pen, I started reading that one about a month ago and really enjoy. I'm a fan both Lio and Mark Tattuli's other strip Heart of the City.

Family Circus is not meant for someone my age so I really don't have a problem with it. The comic I would most likely to see cancled is Gasoline Alley. My local paper stopped printing it, but enough people complained that the paper brought it back with in about two weeks.

--------------------

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spc. Sharki:
I second Ink Pen, I started reading that one about a month ago and really enjoy. I'm a fan both Lio and Mark Tattuli's other strip Heart of the City.

Family Circus is not meant for someone my age so I really don't have a problem with it. The comic I would most likely to see cancled is Gasoline Alley. My local paper stopped printing it, but enough people complained that the paper brought it back with in about two weeks.

The reverse happened with Bloom County when I was a kid. The Ottawa Citizen started running the strip, and I think it was within a year that they yanked it due to reader complaints. I seem to recall it was Binkley asking his father (dressed as Santa) for drugs for Christmas that broke the camel's back. Considering they had started running the strip in the middle of a three week Bill the Cat arc in which cocaine figured prominently, that particular complaining group must have been PO'd from the get-go.

God, I revered Bloom County growing up. Outland was pretty creative for the comics page, but never had the same magic.

Max "pear pimples for hairy fishnuts" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Speaking of comics, has Gary Larson come out of retirement or is this The Argyle Sweater the biggest Far Side rip off ever.

--------------------

Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
Also, the artist responded very politely to an email I sent, so I like him.

I sent and email to Bill Amend about an error/omission in a strip. IMS, it was a strip with mathematical formulas that spelled out "Merry Christmas" when solved. He emailed back that he had considered doing it correctly, but thought that most fans wouldn't get it. That's one of the things I liked about the strip. It was obvious that Bill Amend was either a really big geek or could really put himself inside the heads of geeks.
He has a physics degree and is a pretty big computer geek (he's a Mac geek). He has a couple of Foxtrot related Flash games he created on his personal web page one is Foxcentration (Concentration) and one is Burp-Along-Fox which is a Simon style game.

Speaking of email, I've emailed him on a few occasions and while his auto-reply warns that he gets tons of email and may not personally respond, he did on each occasion.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c clown fishies:

Sigh...that only leaves For Better or For Worse in our newspaper as being readable. I've always been able to relate to the middle daughter, Elizabeth. In fact, her cat made it's first appearance in the strip about two days after we got our own kitty.

Sorry
Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
Also, the artist responded very politely to an email I sent, so I like him.

I sent and email to Bill Amend about an error/omission in a strip. IMS, it was a strip with mathematical formulas that spelled out "Merry Christmas" when solved. He emailed back that he had considered doing it correctly, but thought that most fans wouldn't get it. That's one of the things I liked about the strip. It was obvious that Bill Amend was either a really big geek or could really put himself inside the heads of geeks.
He has a physics degree and is a pretty big computer geek (he's a Mac geek). He has a couple of Foxtrot related Flash games he created on his personal web page one is Foxcentration (Concentration) and one is Burp-Along-Fox which is a Simon style game.

He is not the only highly educated cartoonist, Bud Grace, the creator of Piranha Club (formely Ernie) has a degree in Nuclear Physics.

Edited for spelling

--------------------

Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

[dunce]

--------------------

VersesBatman

quote:
Originally posted by Muncle:
quote:

Sorry
Oh no!

--------------------

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Sorry
Damn it. [Frown]

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I liked Zits, and still do somewhat. The only problem with it is that I started readin it when I was fifteen, so it seemed like it was right on target. The more I read, the more I wish that they'd grow up so I can relate to them again.

Well, I used to teach HS, and I'm about the same age as Jeremy's parents, so I identify with "Zits" from that point of view.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For Better or Worse needed to move along. Foxtrot, though, just kept chugging.

My favorite Foxtrot dates to the 1992 Presidential Election. Jason is sitting in front of the TV with the remote, and in the first three panels, the TV is showing election results, which causes him to scream and hit the remote, until he finally strikes upon this scene:
"Mr. Worf and Dr. Crusher, meet me in Transporter Room Five."

I have ir at home somewhere, alone with my copy of the Bloom County that's a parody of the '80s Apple computer ads entitled "Gene Simmons Didn't Have A Personal Computer When He Was A Kid!" and a Doonsberry cartoon that featured students at a college lecture mindlessly copying the professor's every word.

And Dilbert and Get Fuzzy rock.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages