snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Most Disliked Christmas Carols (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Most Disliked Christmas Carols
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
[hijack]

Where do people get the idea of suicide from "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening"? I've heard that a couple of times recently, but I've known the poem for a long time and I'd never come across that interpretation before.

Did Frost himself said so? I'm not saying it couldn't be true, but I sure think it's a lot of freight to put on "The woods are lovely, dark and deep". What else in the poem could even remotely be considered suicidal?

[/hijack]

It's new to me, too. I always thought that "I have promises to keep/and miles to go before I sleep" was simply the narrator shaking off his reverie and getting back to business.

ETA: Of course, sleep is a common metaphor for death. . .maybe I've just been dense about it. . .

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie and Dog Friendly: that is just one interpretation of the poem- yours is just as valid. To me it sounds like someone contemplating suicide, or at least removing themselves from the life they had known. Snow, cold, darkness, stopping, not seeing your loved ones- all sound like things that are related to death. Will the narrator choose sleep (death) now, when it sounds so pleasant and restful, or will he keep going with life, not "sleeping" until he's done more?

It is an interpretation that requires looking at the poem a certain way, but then, all poetry interpretation requires that. You can read a poem as a series of metaphors or you can just enjoy the imagery.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just think it's interesting that I've never come across that particular interpretation until now.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither have I, until this week. Twice in one week, just now, and none at all in thirty-some years since I learned it in junior college.

But then, this is why I don't spend much time with poetry. My experience is that anyone is welcome to construct any interpretation of the meaning of a poem. To my inexperienced eyes, it frequently seems as if people are loading an awful lot of freight onto one or two words that could mean anything, or nothing.

I don't mean to attack anyone else, here. As with poetry itself, any other interpretation is equally valid.

And we're supposed to be talking about Christmas carols, anyway.

Dog ("Me, I want a hula hoop") Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I see. I read that poem in a freshman literature/ poetry class and that's the main interpretation we discussed, so I thought it was fairly widely known.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Fish Called DawnStorm:
I like most Christmas songs including many of the ones y'all don't like, but Mannheim Steamroller's version of Jingle bells sucks the big one. It's Jingle Bells on Valium.

If you think that song is trippy, you should see the visuals they show along with "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" at the concerts.

Speaking of which...

I can pretty well 'tune out' the music most stores play over the speaker system. While shopping at Borders this morning, though, I was jolted out of my usual solitary musings by the most wretched version of "Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer" my ears have ever been assaulted by. I have no idea who the alleged 'vocalist' was (I suspect he got his training doing animal imitations), and I'll count my blessing should I never, ever, hear that particular version again for as long as I live.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've stayed away from this thread after reading the first few pages and getting depressed because you all hate the songs that I love. [Frown]

Then I saw Mannheim Steamroller in the recent topics and remembered that I actually hate every Christmas song they do. I'm not really sure it counts though, since I don't like their non-Christmas songs, either, so it's not really the carol that I dislike.

Also, I had an orthodontist appointment last week, and they were playing just awful, twangy Country & Western Christmas music the whole time. But again, it wasn't the songs, it was the way they were done. And I love some Country Christmas - The Statler Bros. comes to mind.

Oh well, what can I say? Even when I worked in retail I didn't get tired of the Christmas music. I guess I don't really belong in this thread after all.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Fish Called DawnStorm:
I like most Christmas songs including many of the ones y'all don't like, but Mannheim Steamroller's version of Jingle bells sucks the big one. It's Jingle Bells on Valium.

One version of Jingle Bells I had mercifully forgotten - until yesterday - was Frank Sinatra's, with the "I love those J-I-N-G-L-E bells" intro. Ew. I heard it yesterday in a record shop in Paris, which almost made me wish that whole stereotype about the French hating all things Anglo-Saxon were true.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard it yesterday...
A Lou Rawls (if it was not Lou Rawls, it sounded just like him) upbeat Jazz version of "Little Drummer Boy."

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CNN ran a feature on the most annoying Christmas songs yesterday morning, but I couldn't stay up to watch it. As a teaser, though, they played one that sounded an awful lot like the Brady Bunch theme.

Maybe it was a good thing I missed it.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a thing against Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I wouldn't call it hate, per se, but...

Here's the message I get from it: Kid's born with a deformity/difference. The father rejects him, the kids make fun and even Santa (according to the TV special) is cruel to him. But, when it turns out that they need him...well, everything's just OKey-DOKey now and he's accepted.

Hmmm, not until they need him for their own purposes is he allowed to become one with the others? If I were Santa, I'd have said "NFBSK you, fat man." about lighting the way!

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
I have a thing against Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I wouldn't call it hate, per se, but...

Here's the message I get from it: Kid's born with a deformity/difference. The father rejects him, the kids make fun and even Santa (according to the TV special) is cruel to him. But, when it turns out that they need him...well, everything's just OKey-DOKey now and he's accepted.

Hmmm, not until they need him for their own purposes is he allowed to become one with the others? If I were Santa, I'd have said "NFBSK you, fat man." about lighting the way!

Which version of Rudolph do you consider "canon?" The Robert May story (in which he did not live at the North Pole and was discovered accidentally by Santa), the Johnny Marks song (which I don't think even mentions his parentage) or the stop-motion animated TV movie?

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I were Santa, I'd have said "NFBSK you, fat man." about lighting the way!

I think you meant if you were Rudolph. [Wink]
As for the Rankin-Bass special, in fairness the reaindeer, Santa, and other elves all do apologize to Rudolph and Hermie before it even occurs to Santa that Rudolph's nose could come in handy. In the original song, there's no mention of Santa before he asks Rudolph for help, so it can't be inferred that Santa had treated him badly at all.

That said, since Johnny Marks wrote all the music for the special, and not just Rudolph itself, he must have at least agreed with R-B's interpretation.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
quote:
If I were Santa, I'd have said "NFBSK you, fat man." about lighting the way!

I think you meant if you were Rudolph. [Wink]
As for the Rankin-Bass special, in fairness the reaindeer, Santa, and other elves all do apologize to Rudolph and Hermie before it even occurs to Santa that Rudolph's nose could come in handy. In the original song, there's no mention of Santa before he asks Rudolph for help, so it can't be inferred that Santa had treated him badly at all.

That said, since Johnny Marks wrote all the music for the special, and not just Rudolph itself, he must have at least agreed with R-B's interpretation.

Listen, if I'm going so far as to get upset enough to go on a rant over a holiday song, I can be expected to infer anything I want -- fairly/rightly or otherwise [lol]

Anyway, you should hear what I have to say about Dumbo! [Big Grin]

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anent the Frost poem, you can sing it to "Tallis' Canon" or the "Old 100th."

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"We could do that, but it would be wrong"
One of the Watergate co-conspirators, I think Ehrlichmann or Haldeman.

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amanda NOT Mandy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda NOT Mandy   E-mail Amanda NOT Mandy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a rule, I thoroughly enjoy Christmas music and am rarely annoyed by any holiday song. However, while shopping before Christmas I heard the aboslute worst, mind-numbing Blue Christmas rendition to date. Normally, I enjoy Sheryl Crow, but this song was droning, dragging and just terrible. Give me Porky Pig ANYtime over that!
Posts: 1 | From: Alabama | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll add to that: I thought I was finished listening to Christmas music yesterday, but we ate dinner at a restaurant where they played the worst versions I've ever heard of "Jingle Bells" and "Santa Baby."

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beyonce's rendition of "Silent Night" has to be right up there with the worst interpretations ever: "Sihihihile...ent Niiiiight, Hooooooly Niiiiiight..." The song is slow enough as it is without her vocalizing over every vowel!

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages