snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Most Disliked Christmas Carols (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Most Disliked Christmas Carols
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Madeline:
Chrissy the Christmas Mouse.

If you've never heard it, you have led a charmed life.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't google it; you'll never forgive yourself.

Yeeeearrrgh you did that on purpose! You knew that saying "don't google it" would make people run out and do it! - skips the brain bleach, looks for the cranial sulfuric acid. -

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there one about Randy the Christmas Rat, who when one of the reindeer gets a hoof stuck in a bear trap helps out by gnawing his leg off?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Christmas songs have started at work now, and at first I was very excited. However, we have been having alot of non traditional (ie, recently made up and mostly frankly rubbish) christmas songs on. The one that stands out most in my mind has a calypso style tune and is, I think, trying its best to be a modern, 'cool' carol, but fails miserably. Maybe work don't want to fork out for the right to play more well known xmas songs..

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nthing “Grandma Got Run Over”. And add my vote for “I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas”.

Who the NFBSK decided “The Marvelous Toy” and “My Favorite Things” were Christmas songs?

I first heard “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” on an old 78 from Salvation Army, and I didn’t like it then. Hearing it performed by the Jackson Five ... didn’t improve it, let’s put it that way. As Fred Clark put it a year ago, “It makes me feel like I'm eavesdropping on a therapy session and Michael's having a breakthrough regarding some repressed memory.” (I also liked Clark’s comment on Johnny Mathis’s rendition of “We Need A Little Christmas”: “Thank you, Mr. Mathis. You have a lovely voice, I'm just not sure you're what we had in mind for the part of Auntie Mame. We'll call you.”)

In fact, very nearly any Christmas song written after 1900 except for “White Christmas” and the work of Vince Guaraldi.

And let me add my vote for “Away in a Manger”, which makes me gag. Silkenreindeer, does the version you usually hear start on the high note? That’s how the American version goes.

Preschool choruses singing “Deck The Halls” -- I had this inflicted on me when I worked in the mall. Even leaving aside the fact that each child apparently feels entitled to a key of its very own, no four-year-old in existence can hit the high note in the third set of fa-la-las, and I’m not sure which group is worse: the ones that don’t try, or the ones that do.

Nthing also the breathy sensual “contemporary” versions of classic carols.

And I wish to all the Pagan Gods that SOMEONE would inform the Pagan community that inane retreads of Christmas carols were never a good idea. No, Isaac Bonewits, there was nothing creative or clever about “Gods rest ye, merry pagan folk/Let nothing you dismay”; and no, MotherTongue, as much as I loved a lot of the material on “This Winter's Night”, there was nothing creative or clever about singing “Carol of the Bells” with the word “Christmas” changed to “Yuletide”.

I do like “Cherry Tree Carol”, because I like to analyze it in the same way others here have analyzed “Little Drummer Boy” and “Winter Wonderland”. Joseph shouts in outrage, “Let the father of the baby gather cherries for thee!” – and then it’s the unborn Jesus who commands, “Bow down, thou tallest tree”. It’s the pagan concept: the God is his own father; the Mother is giving birth to her lover.

I just finished reading Terry Pratchett’s Hogfather, and am now doomed to spend the rest of my life LingMAO every time I hear “Good King Wenceslas”.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Addendum

quote:
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- The holiday classics haven't changed that much -- radio stations still turn to Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and Burl Ives to spread yuletide cheer. But your chances of hearing them on the radio are growing fast.

As of Monday, 399 stations from Maine to Hawaii were playing Christmas tunes around the clock to bring in listeners and advertising dollars. Portland has two stations competing over holiday listeners, and some cities have as many as five or six.

Most of the programming kicked off after Thanksgiving; the earliest station made the switch in October before trick or treaters made the rounds.

quote:
Occasionally, newer artists manage to break into the rotation. A couple of recent examples are Josh Groban's "Believe" from the movie "The Polar Express" and Faith Hill's "Where are you Christmas?" from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," he said.

But listeners seem to prefer the old songs like Crosby's "White Christmas," Cole's "The Christmas Song," Ives' "A Holly Jolly Christmas," Bobby Helms' "Jingle Bell Rock" and Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree."

"It's a sad fact and a sad reality that there are 30 to 50 Christmas songs that research really well. We already know them," said Moore. "They don't want Clay Aiken's version of 'White Christmas.' They want Bing Crosby, for the most part."

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ceiling Fan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ceiling Fan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Night, Silent Night, no matter what the language. It's too slow. I like the jolly ones more.

And then there's one Christmas song in Finnish, which states that your life is short and even that short while is gloomy and miserable. Yes, those are the words they use. Gloomy and miserable. That's a nice message to send out, especially on Christmas...

--------------------
~Why Dance to Someone Else's Tune?~

Posts: 15 | From: Oulu, Finland | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would White Christmas be better or worse with the missing verse?

The sun is shining
The grass is green
The orange and palm trees sway.
I've never seen such a day
In Beverly Hills LA.
But it's December the 24th
And I am longing to be up North.

O Holy night gets on my nerves, it's so boring. Oh, and there's one at the moment which isn't a christmas song, but it's on a Christmas Advert- Bibbity Bobbity Boo. Why?!

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing about the intro to White Christmas is that Irving Berlin wrote it as a bit of a joke. He was tired of hearing all these highly successful people in Hollywood complaining that they miss their white Christmases, so he wrote the song, with intro.

The verse never appeared in any of the Irving Berlin movies that featured White Christmas (Holiday Inn, White Chrstmas, Blue Skies) but was done once on a Bing Crosby Christmas special which featured Fred Astaire (Bing's co-star in Holiday Inn and Blue Skies, but he turned down White Christmas). Fred sang the intro, and Bing acted as though he had no idea what the song was until the dog brought him the sheet music. (Why do I remember that? It was from his 1976 special, I think.)

Anyway, Berlin himself didn't really want it sung; it was more of a private joke to him.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder whether it was just the Brits who were subjected to the horror of Cliff Richard's "Millennium Prayer", the worst song I have ever EVER heard.

The Lord's Prayer to the tune of Auld Lang's Syne? Are you kidding me? It is so awful I feel like burning my ears off and shoving them down Cliff's throat, just to stop his hideous singing and terrifying God complex.

Note to Cliff: YOU ARE NOT JESUS!

In fact, you can add the nauseating "Mistletoe and Wine" by the same crap-spewer to the list.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dadof3- I read that he intended it to be part of the song, but Bing (i think, will have to double-check) suggested leaving it out because it wasn't very Christmassy.

Pikey [lol] you know what annoy me most about Millennium Prayer? The stupid lifeless, limp claps he does in the video.
and now I have Saviour's Day in my head, for some reason.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
Pikey [lol] you know what annoy me most about Millennium Prayer? The stupid lifeless, limp claps he does in the video.

You just know he has really clammy hands too.

Even thinking about it is literally making me shudder. My teeth feel all fuzzy now. [Eek!]

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
The thing about the intro to White Christmas is that Irving Berlin wrote it as a bit of a joke. He was tired of hearing all these highly successful people in Hollywood complaining that they miss their white Christmases, so he wrote the song, with intro.

"The Christmas Song" has a similar backstory. Mel Torme wrote it on an excruciatingly hot day in LA, hoping the wintry images would help him cool off. Of course, if that were his goal, it's kind of odd that the first line mentions an open fire, isn't it?

I've also heard that before "White Christmas" was popularized, no one gave much thought to whether or not there would be snow on Christmas the way they do (in some places at least) nowadays. But that's just the sort of story I'm far less likely to take at face value since I started reading these boards.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The verse never appeared in any of the Irving Berlin movies that featured White Christmas (Holiday Inn, White Chrstmas, Blue Skies) but was done once on a Bing Crosby Christmas special which featured Fred Astaire (Bing's co-star in Holiday Inn and Blue Skies, but he turned down White Christmas). Fred sang the intro, and Bing acted as though he had no idea what the song was until the dog brought him the sheet music. (Why do I remember that? It was from his 1976 special, I think.)

Anyway, Berlin himself didn't really want it sung; it was more of a private joke to him.

Barbra Streisand sings the intro on her Christmas Album. I never realised it was part of the original song.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Madeline:
quote:

Barbra Streisand sings the intro on her Christmas Album. I never realised it was part of the original song.
A lot of Barbershop quartets and choruses do, as well. Barbershoppers hold Irving in a special reverence.
Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceiling Fan:
And then there's one Christmas song in Finnish, which states that your life is short and even that short while is gloomy and miserable. Yes, those are the words they use. Gloomy and miserable. That's a nice message to send out, especially on Christmas...

I've never been to Finland, but from what I hear for a good part of the year the sun never shines, it is too cold to poke your nose outside, and there's nothing to do but sit around and drink akavit while eating potato pancakes and smoked herring,listening to the music of Sibelius, and reading Evangelical Lutheran theology.

Who wouldn't be depressed?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only person who has a recording of Garrison Kiellor singing "White Christmas" in Norwegian? (On the same album, he sings "Twelve Days of Christmas" in Danish.)

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringo902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringo902     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Someone asked for a cite on the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" change of lyrics. I found this:

quote:
Most of the online references place "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as being first performed in "Meet Me In St. Louis" in 1944. The original, however, was a much darker song, written about hopes for a better Christmas in the future, and "Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow." The song was changed for Judy Garland, who did not like the tone of the song.

[Confused] Now I'm confused because I know I've got a version of Judy Garland singing it with the original lyrics on my iPod. Did she start out doing it the original way but change it later on in her career?
I was the one who originnally asked for the cite. The thing is, either it's poorly worded, or it's wrong. Like Mouse says, Judy Garland definitely sings the "darker" version with lines like "Next year all our troubles will be out of sight" and "One day soon we all will be together" and "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow" in "Meet Me in St. Louis". I've seen the scene (though, as I admitted in another thread, I've never seen the whole movie - a fact which I hope to change next week), and I have it on a couple CDs.

So, either she made the change later, or the site author is wrong. But, the way I read the site it states that the change was made for the movie. It was not.

To clear up some confusion. The original lyrics were much much darker and somber. And, yes, The original lyrics were changed for the movie at Judy Garland's insistance. The "muddle through" version you hear in the movie is in fact the first changed version. The second change occured when Sinatra recorded it. He thought the muddle through line was still too somber and changed it to "hang a shining star..."

Lyrics to the original (unrecorded) version:
Have yourself a merry little Christmas / It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past

Have yourself a merry little Christmas / Pop that champagne cork / Next year we may all be living in New York.

No good times like the olden days / Happy golden days of yore / Faithful friends who were dear to us / Will be near to us no more.

But at least we all will be together / If the Lord allows / From now on we'll have to muddle through somehow.

So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Yourself_a_Merry_Little_Christmas

Posts: 1 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

The strange thing about "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is that the setting in the movie wasn't nearly as dark as I expected it to be. From all the talk about melancholy lyrics, I expected that the family had fallen on hard times. The family was moving from St. Louis to New York, but it was because the father had just received a huge promotion and was going to a great new job. The movie painted NY as this terrible place that was going to be such a dreary spot after having lived in the paradise that is St. Louis.

That's the big horrible crisis they were all going through. Sure, it's sad leaving home, but they were acting like the world was coming to an end. Even those original lyrics make NY seem like a tragedy - "It may be your last", then "next year we may all be living in New York". It was a very strange aspect to the movie, which would have been made worse by these lyrics.

And, to make the "shining star upon the highest bough" part of the story even stranger, the version I have of Frank Sinatra singing this song includes the line "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow".

Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The strange thing about "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is that the setting in the movie wasn't nearly as dark as I expected it to be. From all the talk about melancholy lyrics, I expected that the family had fallen on hard times. The family was moving from St. Louis to New York, but it was because the father had just received a huge promotion and was going to a great new job. The movie painted NY as this terrible place that was going to be such a dreary spot after having lived in the paradise that is St. Louis.

That's the big horrible crisis they were all going through. Sure, it's sad leaving home, but they were acting like the world was coming to an end. Even those original lyrics make NY seem like a tragedy - "It may be your last", then "next year we may all be living in New York". It was a very strange aspect to the movie, which would have been made worse by these lyrics.

I just watched the film on DVD for the first time and I thought the same thing. They're all crying about leaving their house, the dad says, "There are houses in New York!" and Judy Garland says, "For rich people, not for people like us!" or something to that effect. HUH? Their house was huge and they had a housekeeper! I know New York has always been more expensive than Middle America, but I couldn't believe this family would have been able to afford nothing better than a tenement.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh, the cost of living was higher?

Yeah I know the whole tragedy was hard to swallow.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Santa Mari-a:
quote:

I just watched the film on DVD for the first time and I thought the same thing. They're all crying about leaving their house, the dad says, "There are houses in New York!" and Judy Garland says, "For rich people, not for people like us!" or something to that effect. HUH? Their house was huge and they had a housekeeper! I know New York has always been more expensive than Middle America, but I couldn't believe this family would have been able to afford nothing better than a tenement.
Esther was a rather silly 17 year old given to wildly extravagent statements Mari. She wasn't meant to be giving an accurate assessment of what life would be like for the family if they moved to New York. She was doing what teenagers have probably been doing since the dawn of time - being melodramatic!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh oh oh, thought of another one.

I've seen "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost on greeting cards and we even sang an arrangement of it in high school choir. At least the song version was somewhat mournful and discordant until the final line... but people, the poem is about a guy contemplating suicide! Just because there is snow and a sleigh and a horse doesn't mean it's Christmas material... arrgh!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
quote:

Esther was a rather silly 17 year old given to wildly extravagent statements Mari. She wasn't meant to be giving an accurate assessment of what life would be like for the family if they moved to New York. She was doing what teenagers have probably been doing since the dawn of time - being melodramatic!
True--but nothing happens in the film to contradict her view either. The dad decides he doesn't want to relocate the family after all, and everyone stays put to enjoy the World's Fair. I would have loved to see the family go through with the move to NY, and have the film end with Tootie growing up to write for The New Yorker about her childhood in St. Louis. That was what happened to the RL family on which the film was based.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is off-topic, but it doesn't deserve it's own thread.
Does anyone else find it strange that Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, et al recorded Christmas albums? [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
True--but nothing happens in the film to contradict her view either. The dad decides he doesn't want to relocate the family after all, and everyone stays put to enjoy the World's Fair. I would have loved to see the family go through with the move to NY, and have the film end with Tootie growing up to write for The New Yorker about her childhood in St. Louis. That was what happened to the RL family on which the film was based.

Sally Benson wrote the ending the way she wanted it to happen though. Or at least that's what I remember reading in the introduction to the collection of stories the movie was based on.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:

Sally Benson wrote the ending the way she wanted it to happen though. Or at least that's what I remember reading in the introduction to the collection of stories the movie was based on.

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Does anyone else find it strange that Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, et al recorded Christmas albums? [lol]

No, because it's not about religion but about music. I first wondered about that when I realized one of my favorite Christmas recordings was done by Issac Stern.

A cynic may say it's about neither religion or music, but about money. Could be. But I believe that people who enjoy particular artists and who buy Christmas music are happy to spend their money buying the music that done by their favorite artists, regardless of the artists' religion. The artists are simply making their fans happy (and making money, sure).

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daveyp

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveyp   E-mail daveyp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All of 'em, every last damned one. I cant stand this enforced happiness down yer throat.
Posts: 5 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daveyp:
All of 'em, every last damned one. I cant stand this enforced happiness down yer throat.

Don't hold back ... tell me what you really think. [lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Daveyp, I like you already. [Big Grin]

--------------------

bjohn13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I hear "Silver Bells", I want to belt out "It's Christmas time in Hell!" at the top of my lungs.
Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander in a pear tree:
Daveyp, I like you already. [Big Grin]

Me too. Welcome to the board, fellow Snopester. We can never have enough misanthropes on board.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lyrics to the original (unrecorded) version:
Have yourself a merry little Christmas / It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past

Have yourself a merry little Christmas / Pop that champagne cork / Next year we may all be living in New York.

No good times like the olden days / Happy golden days of yore / Faithful friends who were dear to us / Will be near to us no more.

But at least we all will be together / If the Lord allows / From now on we'll have to muddle through somehow.

So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

Am I the only one who found those lyrics hysterical?
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:

No, because it's not about religion but about music. I first wondered about that when I realized one of my favorite Christmas recordings was done by Issac Stern.

A cynic may say it's about neither religion or music, but about money. Could be. But I believe that people who enjoy particular artists and who buy Christmas music are happy to spend their money buying the music that done by their favorite artists, regardless of the artists' religion. The artists are simply making their fans happy (and making money, sure).

Call me a cynic then, I think it's about the money, probably more the managers and agents than the artists.

And as for Feliz Navidad...

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
There's just two words
Feliz Navidad

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
There's just two words
Feliz Navidad

I really wish there were more words to this
Not repeated second part

Not repeated second part

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
There's just two words
Feliz Navidad

*tries to avoid all the fish that have suddenly materialised*

Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have to say the one that had me scrathing my head the other day was the radio here played Hard Candy Christmas from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas soundtrack this is not a Christmas song.
Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]

Where do people get the idea of suicide from "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening"? I've heard that a couple of times recently, but I've known the poem for a long time and I'd never come across that interpretation before.

Did Frost himself said so? I'm not saying it couldn't be true, but I sure think it's a lot of freight to put on "The woods are lovely, dark and deep". What else in the poem could even remotely be considered suicidal?

[/hijack]

I absolutely love a song a friend of mine, Tracy Newman, wrote, called "Momma, I know you ain't Santa". It's around on the net and well worth a Google.

Dog ("Thanks for the skirt you made over") Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages