snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Most Disliked Christmas Carols (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Most Disliked Christmas Carols
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Because I live in Florida where winter highs average around 70 degrees, it especially irritates me to hear any song mentioning snow, snowmen, sledding, or sleigh rides. Or when people put up fake snow or snow-themed decorations. It looks and sounds so damn ridiculous. There's been some Christmases where I've been in shorts at the beach; I don't want to hear songs praising snow especially when they're repeated 100 times in one day.

Submitted for your approval, "Surfing Merrily" (sung to the tune of Jingle Bells):

Dashing through the sand
My surfboard in my hand
O'er the beach I go
Isn't surfing grand?
I see a swelling wave
I paddle out to sea
But back I come so very fast
With a shark right after me, Oh

The surf is up, grab your board
Paddle out to sea
Catch a wave and climb abourd and
Ride it to the beach, Oh
The surf is up, grab your board
Paddle out to sea
We'll have great fun as we make our run while
Surfing merrily

buf 'still corny, but fun to sing around people longing for a White Christmas' ungla

ETA: Forgot to add my yearly comment for the unimaginable amount of hate I have for a certain instrumental version of Sleigh Ride, which is so incredibly overorchestrated that every single note sounds as if it has been dipped in glitter and deep fried.

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some wintery Christmas songs get on my nerves because they are dated. Like Sleigh Ride. No one goes sleigh riding anymore.

Someone on the radio said that Winter Wonderland must have been written by someone who never experinced winter. It paints snow and ice as a fairyland. But in reality it's wet, cold and it means having to spend extra time warming up your car and driving on slippery roads.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoFo:
. . .Most versions of Little Drummer Boy (and yes, I realize that the message it's trying to send is a good one). . .

I posted about that mainly because my husband used to feel the same way until I got him to really listen to it. He doesn't listen to music the way I do! Try Bob Seger's version. That's the first one that really grabbed me, even though I liked the song before that. He sings it like he means it. Of course, that could just be because of the way his voice generally sounds. [Wink] At any rate, Der Bingle (gasp!) and others seem to be more interested in showcasing their voices than in projecting the meaning of the song. Okay, I'll stop, now!
"Thank goodness!" went all the other snopesters in unison!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cheris
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Cheris     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitapsail fish:
Feliz Navidad.
Feliz Navidad.
Feliz Navidad.
Feliz Navidad.

Did I mention Feliz Navidad?

I am in favor of burning all copies of this song.

I'll bring the graham crackers and marshmallows. That song encites violence in me every time I hear it.

I loathe traditional Christmas music. There's just something about it that drive me bat NFBSK crazy. Actually, the more I think about, I can only name maybe five Chrsitmas songs I like.

--------------------
"He who laughs first didn't get the joke." Paul Westerberg

Posts: 14 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone asked for a cite on the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" change of lyrics. I found this:

quote:
Most of the online references place "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as being first performed in "Meet Me In St. Louis" in 1944. The original, however, was a much darker song, written about hopes for a better Christmas in the future, and "Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow." The song was changed for Judy Garland, who did not like the tone of the song.
at www.cvc.org/christmas/havemerrychristmas/index.htm;
however, I first read about the change in a biography of Garland (don't remember which it was, sorry!); IIRC, Garland sang the altered lyrics from the late forties to the end of her career, but they were immortalized when Frank Sinatra used that version for his 1950s version of the song.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brad, you have an extra ; at the end of your link.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:

For myself, among the classics, I find "O Little Town of Bethelehem" mind-numbingly dull, both lyrically and musically. --Logoboros

Which setting? I know of three tunes for Bp. Brooks' poem.
In the "I like the song for oddball reasons" department, there's a story I've always loved about "O Little Town of Bethlehem." It seems that when Winston Churchill made his first official visit to Washington as prime minister shortly before Christmas 1940, he was the guest of honor at a ceremony at the National Cathedral where that song was performed - and apparently he'd never heard it before. I don't know why I love that little factoid so much - just the history nerd in me, I guess - but ever since I read that, I enjoy trying to imagine being 66 years old and hearing that admittedly saccharine melody for the first time. (Sorry, I don't know which of the three it was!)

And yes, I have a cite.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another hearty thumbs-down on "Feliz Navidad" and that McCartney monstrosity. And "Santa Baby" sure does capture the modern "Spirit of Christmas", doesn't it?

I line up with the "anti-" faction on the Little Drummer Boy. In fact, I have a whole stand-up bit that I trot out once a year at a local Open Mike, that turns the song into a parable about the dangers of associating with people who have good intentions and NFBSK for brains.

"...Mary has been riding on a donkey while nine months pregnant for several days...Do you really believe that an eight-hour drum solo is an appropriate contribution to the situation? How about some peace and quiet?

"...People like this will waste your time, cost you money and rob you of sleep. And you'll have to thank them and be nice, because they were "only trying to help", without asking what sort of help you actually wanted.

"...Keep moving. Smile and wave, but don't slow down! If they ask what you're doing, say "Fine, thanks!" and keep moving.

Sorry, but I have read the lyrics and I still think the kid was a well-intentioned little (rhymes with) twit. If I'd been Joseph, well, let's just say the song wouldn't have had the same ending, and probably wouldn't be played as incessantly as it is today.

Dog (Even though the prospect sickens, brother, here we go again!) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kit_n_caboodle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kit_n_caboodle   E-mail kit_n_caboodle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dadof3:
The thing about the line in Winter Wonderland isn't really all that creepy. See, they're pretending the snowman is Parson Brown - a church minister, see? So when he asks if they're married and they say, "you can do the job when you're in town," they're saying he can perform the ceremony.

*reconsiders for a moment*

Nah, the song is still creepy/annoying. [fish]

--------------------
Peter: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Posts: 53 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jera   E-mail Jera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, I have two. First one is the Nick and Jessica version of "Baby, it's cold outside". When that song comes on in the mall, I want to murder myself.

My second song is a less known one, but it is possibly the worst song I have EVER heard. I beg you all to download it and hear it for yourself. The first part is great, but after about a minute into the song it takes a sharp turn into a flaming pile of crap.

The song is called "Emmanuel" , by Michael W. Smith, off the "Wow Christmas" cd.

Jera

Posts: 52 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
Some wintery Christmas songs get on my nerves because they are dated. Like Sleigh Ride. No one goes sleigh riding anymore.

I still love a good instrumental version of it, with some nice percussion for the whip-crack.
Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Weeellll, I love almost all Christmas songs, even the ones that I don't care for that much. [Wink] No really, it's just I like Christmas, and the songs always put me in the holiday mood.

I'm with Signora about the Seger version of Drummer boy. It gives me goose bumps all over because it is done so beautifully, and he does a straight version of it. He doesn't try to "personalize" the song. There is also a haunting saxaphone solo in it.

I'm fascinated with the history of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." I loved it when Garland's character sang it to O'brian's character in the movie it made me get all choked up. You know I've thought of it with both lyrics and never realized there had been a change. I just thought it was different verses. [Razz]

I love "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"...I just do.

But to stay true to the thread:
I hate, hate, hate the awful piece of crap called "Every body's Waiting for the Man With the Bag." I also can't stand the version of "...Winter Wonderland" when the singer instead of saying "Later on we'll conspire/ as we dream by the fire" says "Later on we'll conspire as we groove by the fire." Sung in the most self congratulatory, smarmy, insufferable, fashion it makes me want to scream.

Other than that I like 'em all even the slightly annoying ones. [Big Grin]

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Someone asked for a cite on the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" change of lyrics. I found this:

quote:
Most of the online references place "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" as being first performed in "Meet Me In St. Louis" in 1944. The original, however, was a much darker song, written about hopes for a better Christmas in the future, and "Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow." The song was changed for Judy Garland, who did not like the tone of the song.

[Confused] Now I'm confused because I know I've got a version of Judy Garland singing it with the original lyrics on my iPod. Did she start out doing it the original way but change it later on in her career?

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izunya
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izunya   E-mail Izunya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently, in a bookstore, I heard a pretty good version of the Carol of the Bells (that's the ding, ding-ding-ding one, right)? It was sung in close harmony by some women who hit some really weird chords---not the standard ones, I don't think---and it came out kind of haunting. That being said, if I worked there, I would probably be hunting them with a pointy stick, along with every other performer on the Christmas loop. And I have to admit that most Carols of the Bells are pretty bad.

Synthesized rock versions of the Sugarplum Fairy are also pretty bad. In fact, I'd have to pick these for my Most Hated. But I've found that any song can be ruined by a bad arrangement or (in the case of most carols) a bad singer.

Izunya

Posts: 138 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really starting to hate Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas"...it's being played WAY to much!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

quote:

[Confused] Now I'm confused because I know I've got a version of Judy Garland singing it with the original lyrics on my iPod. Did she start out doing it the original way but change it later on in her career?
I was the one who originnally asked for the cite. The thing is, either it's poorly worded, or it's wrong. Like Mouse says, Judy Garland definitely sings the "darker" version with lines like "Next year all our troubles will be out of sight" and "One day soon we all will be together" and "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow" in "Meet Me in St. Louis". I've seen the scene (though, as I admitted in another thread, I've never seen the whole movie - a fact which I hope to change next week), and I have it on a couple CDs.

So, either she made the change later, or the site author is wrong. But, the way I read the site it states that the change was made for the movie. It was not.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I'm really starting to hate Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas"...it's being played WAY to much!

Hate that one!

"Baby it's Cold Outside" should be called "Have a Holly Jolly Date Rape".

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have come to the conclusion that any comedy film that uses the "Russian Dance" from "The Nutcracker" in the television commercials will most likely suck.

I don't understand this connection, I have merely observed it. Shame it is associated with such a good piece of music.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not even close. If you think that, you've totally misunderstood.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

I find it creepy. The way the guy keeps the girl from leaving.

--------------------

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find it creepy. The way the guy keeps the girl from leaving.

That one bothers me, too. I realize the song wasn't intended that way, but it's still definitely not a favorite. Especially when sung by little kids. Ick.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I remember when I first heard about this song. It was in Wendy Shalit's book, A Return to Modesty, about how in the olden times, women had more excuses to use in order to say no to sex, whereas today it's more acceptable to say yes. (According to her, we've devolved. Go figure, right?)

I never got around to reading all the lyrics till tonight, but I'm quite frightened now. Especially this line:
quote:
Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there
*Shudder*

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

I also hate how the woman seems like a helpless child.

--------------------

Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izunya:

Synthesized rock versions of the Sugarplum Fairy are also pretty bad. In fact, I'd have to pick these for my Most Hated. But I've found that any song can be ruined by a bad arrangement or (in the case of most carols) a bad singer.

Izunya

This goes with my statement in a previous post that often it isn't so much the song itself as the way it is sung.

When I hear country/western or pop singers trying to do "O Holy Night" or "Ave Maria" or "Panis Angelicus" I cringe--even when they are GOOD country or pop singers. These people would NEVER consider doing an opera ara, no matter how well known, but those songs are all three written for classicaly trained voices.

I'm a classicaly trained singer; not highly enough (nor talented enough!) to have considered a professional career, but I know what songs I can do and what ones I can't.

Not long ago I sang for a Scottish Rite Masonic gathering and one of the Brothers in attendance was a highly successful country/western singer. I won't say his name, except to say that if I were to show you a picture you'd say, "Oh, HIM." Afterwards he complemented me, and I told him that coming from someone like him that was very much appreciated, but that if I had tried to sing one of his songs, I'd have made an idiot of myself. He said, "And vice versa." The first thing that any performer should know is what he CAN do well and what he CAN'T and stick to what he CAN.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitsune, you are my hero. [Big Grin]

I do like most Christmas music, but I will also vote for a pain-and-suffering lawsuit against Feliz Navidad and Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time. They always stick in your head in loops. Never-ending loops of pain and misery...

Santa Baby is only acceptable while being sung by Miss Piggy as the beautiful Saltine in Moulin Scrooge.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chrissy the Christmas Mouse.

If you've never heard it, you have led a charmed life.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't google it; you'll never forgive yourself.

Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why didn't I listen to you, Simply Madeline?! *runs shrieking into the night*

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh, I can't edit my post earlier--I get a message saying it's too late, the time for editing has passed.

Anyhoo, I'll see if I can rustle up that Judy Garland biography I mentioned earlier. As I recall, and I may be wrong, the initial Judy Garland recording of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" was identical to the song in the movie; but then later she asked the lyricist to "lighten up" the verses a little, and that was where the "hang a shining star upon the highest bough" came from. I don't know if she recorded the new version or not, but supposedly she sang it in concert appearances from the late forties on, and then in the early fifties Frank Sinatra recorded that version, had a big hit with it, and the altered version has been the preferred one ever since.

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Filet o' Spamamander:

I'm going to add "Do They Know it's Christmastime" (BandAid 20) Some of the other awful pop Christmas somgs are on the album, but the main song which was the major release... uggh. I have always been a big fan of Bob Geldof's efforts but I loathe this song and it's 80's flashbacks. It's about starvation in the Sudan and other African nations- but why would they know its Christmastime, anyway? A plea for people in Western nations to remember their plight in a season of giving is one thing; this almost sounds like missionary work to let them know its Christmas.

Yes! I have never heard a more condescending song done in the name of charity. Did those singers really not know that Africa does, in fact, have rivers flowing?
And that Africa does, indeed, have snow. All over the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. South Africa's 3/4th of the way to Antartica, they get snow sometimes, right? But hey, I don't get snow in Southern California, someone do a benefit for me. We don't have flowing rivers either; they're all concrete.

I don't like any of the "pop" or "R&B" Christmas music. Mariah Carey especially. I love "We Three Kings", which is about the most morose and dirgey Christmas song ever.

"Feliz Navidad" haters: never ever go shopping with me. That song compels me to belt out the lyrics at the top of my lungs, in public places. I love that song. Please don't lynch me.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 22 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas was written during World War II (1944) and is in touch with the mood of that time
quote:
Once again as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Will be near to us once more

Through the years, we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

So the song is saying that though people may not be able to be together, there is still resaon to have faith that things will once again be right. I like the original version, as powerful and sad as it might be, because it reflects that era.
I'll Be Home for Christmas is another song closely associated with World War II
quote:
On October 4, 1943, Bing Crosby recorded "I'll Be Home for Christmas" with the John Scott Trotter Orchestra for Decca Records...It touched a tender place in the hearts of Americans, both soldiers and civilians, who were then in the depths of World War II, and it earned Crosby his fifth gold record.
Library of Congress

So yes, not the happiest of songs, but definitely a slice of historical reality that has only become more powerful as I get older and learn even more about that generation.

As for songs I hate, a lot of that 70's junk, especially by the Carpenters. Merry Christmas Darling is absolute sap, and makes a noun, Christmas, into the verb "Christmasing" which really grinds my gears. Anything by that group drives me up the wall, sad to think many of us were probably conceived to their records.

Seasons of Love from Rent is not a Christmas song, but 106.7 Lite FM in New York thinks it is. However, I never stopped to consider that a year has 525,600 minutes until I heard that song. Oh yeah, I'm so much better for having comprehended that fact.

Grown Up Christmas Wish, Where Are You Christmas? (which in a literary sense, is an apostrophe- addressing an inanimate thing as a person) and all those similar modern "adult" looks at Christmas drive me nuts. They seem whiny and shallow, something I'd get an F for if I handed it into my college writing workshop.

As for anything by the Beach Boys, Ronettes, etc... I can take that to a degree, those songs are goofy and fun but cannot match some of the true classics.

Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

It drives me nuts that people consider My Favorite Things a Christmas song.

--------------------

UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It drives me nuts that people consider My Favorite Things a Christmas song.

I just got back from a trip to the mall, and this was playing in one of the stores. In an overdone, breathy, under-tempo MALE voice. It was like the male version of one of those "trying to sound sexy" pop diva singers.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bramble Silvertree

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Bramble Silvertree   E-mail Bramble Silvertree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know, I know, I'm on the wrong thread. I love Christmas music, I love most things Christmas-y. Something about peace on earth and good will towards men, I'm willing to overlook some cheesy-ness. That being said, there are some songs I can't stand, mostly because they ruin my warm and squishy feelings.

I saw mommy kissing.... I don't think extramarital affairs are very christmas-y. I get the joke, but still.

Grandma got run over.... Santa's DUI

I'm gettin nothin for x-mas.... Of course you're getting nothin, you've been a brat all year. But shouldn't the kid be getting coal? I thought that was the deal.

And I'll be home for xmas . . . if only in my dreams. It always makes me cry.

--------------------
"Tout le monde est fou, sauf vous et moi."

Posts: 47 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

There's always Christina Rossetti's
quote:

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

The music is very pretty, but talk about a downer of an opening.

--------------------

DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I just thought of one I've always hated. Brad's post reminded me of it, somehow. And I've had not-quite-heated discussions with some fellow Christians about it, too.

I loathe "The Huron Carol". I say it's sacreligious, blasphemy, and a parody of the gospel accounts. Okay, I only say that when I'm trying to bug people who like it. But I *almost* feel that way. I know others who feel the same way I do to various degrees.

Of course, I also know some who absolutely love it.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages