snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Most Disliked Christmas Carols (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Most Disliked Christmas Carols
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Calling all Scrooges:

As a counterpart to the "Favorite Christmas Carol" thread, let's hear about those holiday songs that just make you cringe everytime they come on.

For myself, among the classics, I find "O Little Town of Bethelehem" mind-numbingly dull, both lyrically and musically. And, in true Scrooge fashion, I can't think of a "rock" carol that doesn't make me gag. Though, admittedly, "Grandma Got Runover By A Reindeer" was funny the first time. But just the first time...

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Christmas Shoes'. It's glurge in song form. I loathe it with the passion of a thousand suns!!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas Shoes is one of the most odious pieces of crap to ever hit the airwaves. Of course, it's by the same guy who gave us Butterfly Kisses. I'm sure that there is something just as vile waiting for us this holiday season as well.

Dang, that reminds me. I meant to turn that ugly glurge I wrote for my initiation into a song.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizbeth
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizbeth     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I HATE the Christmas Shoes. The glurginess and just sheer level of badness is awful.

And, for some reason, I hate Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. I just think it's mean and not at all funny. Who wants to see their grandma get killed in a hit and run? And then write a song about it?

Posts: 12 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Add me too the "Grandma Got Run Over" crowd. Never liked that song, never thought it was funny.

I don't really like Jingle Bells, either. It's not that there's anything wrong with the song, really, it's just that it's overrated. I'm a little sick of hearing by the time Chrismas rolls around.

I despise "I'm Gettin' Nothin' For Christmas." It seemed so mean when I was a child, and always made me sad. That's carried over to my adulthood.

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

"Santa Baby"

I'm also with Logoboros with regard to the "rock-n-roll" songs, especially "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
I can't think of a "rock" carol that doesn't make me gag.

Any reason why, exactly?

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know. Maybe because a lot of them feel too gimmicky? That their reason for existence is to capitalize on a marketing possibility, not because of any actual artistic merit?

Also, they feel particularly dated. I don't mind if my carols are dated Victoriana, but when they're 60s kitsch, it's more irritating.

So, in the end, I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

--Logoboros

ETA: One big exception to my whole 60s kitsch claim: I actually do really like Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas -- my family's been listening to it since the 80s, before the over-exposure it's had in the past few years that I daresay is almost ruining it for me.

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dawnshadow
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnshadow   E-mail Dawnshadow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Feliz Navidad.

It's okay for a minute, but it just repeats, over and over and over, and radio stations play it all the time. x_x

Posts: 131 | From: Newark, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Icon 606 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... and it spawns earworms that do not die just from reading the name of the song!

Argh! Thanks a lot! [Razz]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an aversion to The Little Drummer Boy pa-rum-pum-pum pum.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The various 50's rock-and-roll Christmas songs are generally anathema to me, but I particularly hate "Jingle Bell Rock." I'm not entirely sure why, though being overexposed to the Wayne Newton version as a kid certainly did not help.

As for "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" -- the interesting thing there is that when that song first came out (and I think was primarily heard on Dr. Demento), it was a slightly different recording which I vastly preferred. It was a little dryer in tone, less smugly funny. I did find the song mildly amusing at first, but yeah, it's been so massively over-played...

(On the other hand, I have a great tolerance for the Singing Dogs version of "Jingle Bells.")

I'll probably think of more as I hear them. [Smile]

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like or dislike "Grandma Got Run Over" as much as the next person, but among traditional carols, I have to vote for "Silent Night" as my least favorite.

Hard to believe, no? I know it may well be the most popular carol of all, but I've never liked it. It's overplayed, and it tends to be sung too slowly. Hard to sing, boring to listen. Give me something with a bit more oomph.

IF sung in the original German, or even more importantly, accompanied by GUITAR,
then it's great! Otherwise, I dread hearing it.

Oh, ditto on Little Drummer boy. Never liked it.

FYI, there's a Dr. Demento Xmas album!

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I loathe "White Christmas." It's just so slow and joyless. But then I'm not Bing Crosby's greatest fan.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time.

I don't usually hate Paul McCartney but this song makes me want to smack him.

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a McCartney fan, but that is definitely not one of his better efforts. [Smile]

I don't think "White Christmas" is one of the greats, but I have some fondness for it as I can actually on a good day do a halfway credible job of imitating Crosby's performance of it.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been known to leave stores when 'Grandma Got Run Ove...' began.

I also dislike 'The Little Drummer Boy' and 'Christmas Shoes', and another CW song called 'Christmas Carol' about a little orphan girl looking for a family.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Feliz Navidad.
Feliz Navidad.
Feliz Navidad.
Feliz Navidad.

Did I mention Feliz Navidad?

I am in favor of burning all copies of this song.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck 182

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Duck 182   E-mail Duck 182   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am really getting tired of hearing that "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies" song on all of those Christmas commercials. To me, it's so overrated.
Posts: 128 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duck 182:
I am really getting tired of hearing that "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies" song on all of those Christmas commercials. To me, it's so overrated.

Don't feel bad. Even Tchaikovsky didn't like that one. [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot stand "Away in a Manger". It's always sung badly by six-year-olds. It's just so cutesy and nauseating!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I am very sick and tired of "My Grownup Christmas List". Just about makes me gag.

Mac"not that world peace would be bad, or anything"Lloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crius of CoH

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crius of CoH   E-mail Crius of CoH       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hates me all of 'em. Not in actuality; I'm pretty sure that, if I only heard any particular Christmas-related song once a year, I'd be fine with most of them, but ALL of them are so MASSIVELY overplayed, for WAY LONGER than they should be... that I hates me all of 'em.

I used to work for the CVS corporate office in Woonsocket, RI; at the time (maybe still) they had something like a 4 hour tape of music that played continuously (so you'd hear the same songs in the same order about twice a day). First work day after Thanksgiving - BANG! - the Christmas loop went on, and it was shorter, so you'd hear the same songs two or THREE times a day, every day, until January 1. I'm lucky to have come out of there with anything resembling sanity. I attribute much of my blanket dislike of Christmas music to this particular experience .

--------------------
Simplicity is attained by ignoring circumstance and consequence.

Posts: 20 | From: Cranston, RI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnat   E-mail Gnat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hate "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" as well...as a kid, I didn't "get it" and thought how horrible it must be for a kid to witness his/her mother cheating, and I think that dislike has just carried on, long after I grew up. Besides that, I don't mind most of them...I just hate when current artists try to be so original with Christmas carols by just changing the timing or doing some other superfluous thing that makes them sound odd, not good.
Posts: 35 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tenorcs
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenorcs   Author's Homepage   E-mail tenorcs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a listener, George Michael/WHAM!'s "Last Christmas" makes the chunks rise in my throat. The only upside is the video, which features lovely Christmas mullets.

As a singer, I never ever ever want to sing "O come, o come, Emmanuel" again. It's got a boring melody, and the version in our hymnal has about 287 verses. We sing it at midnight mass and the song is barely half finished by new year's day. Yes, I exaggerate, but it is worth a good 15 minutes of torture.

Posts: 95 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto Brandi on 'Having a Wonderful Christmas Time' ('Frog Chorus' is also a threat to Mr. McCartney's unbroken nose as far as I am concerned).

Ditto Pikey Queen on 'Away in a Manger'. It's so sweet my teeth hurt.

Never heard the songs about Grandma and that reindeer, 'Feliz Navidad' or 'Christmas Shoes', but that may well be a good thing.

Oh, and wasn't 'Silent Night' originally written for guitar because the organ in a German church had had its bellows damaged by mice? (This sounds very much like an UL, but it may be true.)

The song I would like to add I can't remember the title of (perhaps because as soon as I heard it I rushed into my spare room to search for a hammer to smash the radio). It's a glurgy thing about an angel stuck on top of a Christmas tree. (Five points off for any snopester who tells me the title.)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'know, I didn't start the favourite carols thread, but I've been posting to it because I love Christmas songs, but I do have to agree with you, tenorcs on "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel". I too find it dirgy and long. I love the way you phrased it, too:

quote:
We sing it at midnight mass and the song is barely half finished by new year's day. Yes, I exaggerate, but it is worth a good 15 minutes of torture.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RickRS

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RickRS   E-mail RickRS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We can all torture those good Christmas songs too death ourselves. A favorite of mine, 'Joy to the World', got a lively tempo, and for a carol, a good beat. But have a group of ordinary people try to sing the durn thing and somebody always sets the tempo too slow, making it into a funeral durge.
Posts: 8 | From: NW Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The usual UK melody for Away in a Manger is different from the usual US one. And I think the UK one is treaclier (or, for Americans, Molassisier)

'jes so you know.

Oh, and I have to say that I hate just about any Christmas song written in the past 50 years. They're all so... gimmicky. All of them.

Another one. O Holy Night. The melody line is beautiful, the harmony is beautiful, but it always gets ruined by a congregation or amateur choir (usually with all the non-musical females singing Soprano because it's easier, rather than because they're actually Sopranos) wailing it out at high volume. The famous high note especially makes my eyes water, and not in a good way. Which is a pity, because when it's sung properly it makes my eyes water, in a good way.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrekkerScout:
I have an aversion to The Little Drummer Boy pa-rum-pum-pum pum.

I was going to say "All of them," then I realised I liked The Little Drummer Boy even less than most. I'm glad I'm not the only one...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty much all of the ones I hate have been mentioned:

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause" - I, too, didn't get this one when I was a kid. Now I wonder why anyone would risk having kids sing it. Some of them have to figure it out.

"Silent Night" - I've just never been a big fan, even when I was a kid.

"Little Drummer Boy" - I've hated this since childhood. I never liked the "Pa rum pa pum pum." It's just so silly.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time.

I don't usually hate Paul McCartney but this song makes me want to smack him.

It's at the top of my list. Makes me almost as twitchy as "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."

"Santa Baby" makes me feel dirty.

Barbra Streisand's "Jinglebellsjinglebellsjinglebells" can die a horrible, painful death.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
It's at the top of my list. Makes me almost as twitchy as "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas."

I sing this at the top of my voice just to annoy my oldest. She hates it and thinks I'm weird. [Big Grin]

I hate the Cherry Tree Carol. It's draggy and Joseph is a jerk. Why would Mary marry that guy?

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RingKeeper:
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:

I sing this at the top of my voice just to annoy my oldest. She hates it and thinks I'm weird. [Big Grin]
My dad hates the song more than I do. As a result, there is a hippopotamus of some kind hidden in his presents every year.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is considered a "Christmas" song and is played from November through January, I hate it.

I liked a few Christmas songs when I was younger. Then I got sick of hearing them. I think my least favorite would be modern songs by folks who try to put some jazzy or pseudo-soul spin on a song like "Jingle Bells". Like they're trying to be Tom Jones or Sammy Davis, Jr., but end up sounding like William Shatner. These are the same types of singers who'd try to put a soulful or jazzy spin on "The Star Spangled Banner". Just sing the song and don't embellish it.

Because I live in Florida where winter highs average around 70 degrees, it especially irritates me to hear any song mentioning snow, snowmen, sledding, or sleigh rides. Or when people put up fake snow or snow-themed decorations. It looks and sounds so damn ridiculous. There's been some Christmases where I've been in shorts at the beach; I don't want to hear songs praising snow especially when they're repeated 100 times in one day.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been talking about this with a friend lately. Happy, celebratory Christmas songs that sound like funeral music. For example, the song "O Come All Ye Faithful" came on the radio and it was a slow, monotone snooze-fest, not "joyful and triumphant".
Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages