snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Help with a sociology assignment! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help with a sociology assignment!
Pixel Worship
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixel Worship   E-mail Pixel Worship   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am on a hunt to find gender anomalies in society, and one of the assignments is to find a song within the last decade (preferably an American hit!) that portays a man as the sex object. The artist can be either group or solo, male or female. The raunchier and more blatant the lyrics are, the better. I'm not looking for subtlty (but that can work too [Wink] ). Thank you guys so much for your continued help!
Posts: 22 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"It's raining men" is one that springs to mind, although it may not be exactly what you are looking for.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizbeth
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizbeth     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Donnas are an all girl rock band who has a lot of sexual songs that would fit your criteria. "Take It Off" was a hit that got radio play in the US about four years ago, but almost all of their songs would work.
Some other good ones are: "40 Boys in 40 Nights", "Too Bad About Your Girl," and "Take Me to the Back Seat"

Posts: 12 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(Don't Want No) Short Dick Man by 20 Fingers

All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You by Heart

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beechwill
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Beechwill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edit: Soundly spanked by Lizbeth. That'll teach me to type faster.

The Donnas are a great band for that - they take AC/DC-style '70s hard rock and turn the macho attitude on its head. "Take It Off" is probably the best example.

Sample lyrics:
quote:
'Cause I get what I want and I like what I see
Take it off
(echo) Take it off!
Take it off baby, for me

and...
quote:
Forget the application...
You're the right guy for the task
Let me take you on vacation
Just do it, you don't have to ask!

--------------------
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
-Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 17 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Joan Jett and Madonna would probably be good sources, too.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These may be older than a decade, but there's "I'm too Sexy" by Right Said Fred, "Push It" by Salt n Pepa, and "Pony" by Ginuwine. "Pony" has a great chorus:
If you're horny, let's do it
Ride it, my pony
My saddle's waitin'
Come and jump on it

"Michael" by Franz Ferdinand has a man as a sex object. It's on their first album but I don't know if it was a hit.

If I were you I'd check out Li'l Kim, Missy Elliott, and Madonna.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Save a horse, ride a cowboy

Bee

ETA: 'Course, he's singing about himself, so it might not qualify

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More than a decade ago, but Salt 'N Pepa's "Shoop"

quote:
Ummm, you're packed and you're stacked 'specially in the back
Brother, wanna thank your mother for a butt like that (thanks, Mom)
Can I get some fries with that shake-shake boobie?
If looks could kill you would be an uzi
You're a shotgun - bang! What's up with that thang?
I wanna know how does it hang?
Straight up, wait up, hold up, Mr. Lover
Like Prince said you're a sexy mutha-

Also not from the last decade, but the Kinks' "Lola" has Lola as the object of desire-- a gender-ambiguous-probably-man.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One Minute Man by Missy Elliott, and it seems, whomever else she feels like singing with that day.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For a more derisive take, try some of Liz Phair's songs (especially from Exile in Guyville).

A sample (from "Soap Star Joe"):

quote:
Check out the thinning hair
Check out the aftershave
Check out America
You're looking at it babe

I'd also cite "Flower", but it's probably better if you discover those lyrics on your own... [Wink]

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
I'd also cite "Flower", but it's probably better if you discover those lyrics on your own... [Wink]

I discovered it! WOW! [Eek!]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jordashe
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jewel/gods+gift+to+women_20071337.html

Jewel's Gods Gift To Women.

Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jynni
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jynni   E-mail jynni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Ain't No Other Man" by Christine Aguilera. Actually - she's probably got a few more on her albums.
Posts: 390 | From: Missouri | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the Divinyls' "I Touch Myself?"

I was going to mention "Flower," but was beaten to it. Bad song to find yourself singing under your breath at work.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
"Pony" by Ginuwine. "Pony" has a great chorus:
Ride it, my pony
My saddle's waitin'
Come and jump on it

I may be missing something, but Ginuwine is an apparently straight guy, singing to women. There's nothing strange about guys singing about their prowess.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Michael" by Franz Ferdinand has a man as a sex object. It's on their first album but I don't know if it was a hit.

It was in the UK.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
quote:
Ride it, my pony
My saddle's waitin'
Come and jump on it

I may be missing something, but Ginuwine is an apparently straight guy, singing to women. There's nothing strange about guys singing about their prowess.
He's not just singing about his prowess, though. He's objectifying himself. It's not like Prince's "Lemme show u baby I'm a talented boy," or Nate Dogg's "You can come on over, and I'll break you off."

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's that song about hanging out the side of your best friend's ride, tryin' to holla at me?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"No Scrubs" by TLC
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"#1 Crush" by Garbage, maybe?

Possibly "Six Underground" by the Sneaker Pimps (that would probably fall into the "subtle" category, I think).

They might fall just outside the decade requirement, though.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"That don't impress me much" by Shania Twain.

"Guys do it all the time" by Mindy McCready

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
quote:
Ride it, my pony
My saddle's waitin'
Come and jump on it

He's not just singing about his prowess, though. He's objectifying himself. It's not like Prince's "Lemme show u baby I'm a talented boy," or Nate Dogg's "You can come on over, and I'll break you off."
I'm still not seeing it. The rest of the lyrics are about checking out a hottie in a club, the chorus is simply what he wants her to do.

Sitting here flossing
Peeping your steelo
Just once if I have the chance
The things I will do to you
You and your body
Every single portion
Send chills up and down you spine
Juices flowing down your thigh

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know somebody said Joan Jett, so here it is.

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'n' Roll

I saw him dancing there by the record machine
I knew he must have been about seventeen
The beat was going strong
Playing my favorite song
An' I could tell it wouldn't be long
Till he was with me...

edited to fix song title

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
Also not from the last decade, but the Kinks' "Lola" has Lola as the object of desire-- a gender-ambiguous-probably-man.

Bee

No ambiguity about it.

Well I'm not the world's most masculine guy
But I know what I am and what I am is a man
And so is Lola

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:

Bee

No ambiguity about it.

Well I'm not the world's most masculine guy
But I know what I am and what I am is a man
And so is Lola

Nope. The second line is: I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kate Ceberano - Young Boys Are My Weakness

"Young boys weakness
I just like their sweetness
Hey boys let's mess around
I wanna party with you on the town
some boys really make me swing
There ain't nothin' like a pretty young thing"

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This one is over a decade old. First came out in 1990

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cherry Lips by Garbage is about a male who dresses as a female, so its a double anomoly.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly any Lil Kim song would qualify, the most famous being "How many licks?" Don't ask me how I know this.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about nearly anything done by Salt n' Pepa?

Here's the video for Whatta Man

My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller
He takes his time and does everything right
Knocks me out with one shot for the rest of the night
He's a real smooth brother, never in a rush
And he gives me goose pimples with every single touch
Spends quality time with his kids when he can
Secure in his manhood cuz he's a real man
A lover and a fighter and he'll knock a knucker out
Don't take him for a sucker cuz that's not what he's about
Every time I need him, he always got my back
Never disrespectful cuz his mama taught him that

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh! A fellow sociology major!!

I once did a seminar presentation on Tricky´s Suffocated Love as an illustration for the Family Decline theory. Not a single word about love. Lovely. It´s not exactly a radio hit, but it fits the theory really well.

Diana

Edit: d`oh. Just re-read your post. It´s great for Family Decline, probably not so great for what you´re doing. But my best wishes, anyway.

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Khia had a rap song whose chorus was:

"Lick my neck, lick my back, lick my pussy and my crack."

Also, Peaches and Princess Superstar.

Pretty much anything by Lords of Acid, Jack Off Jill, The Genitorturers (the lead singer is a female bodybuilder / dominatrix), some songs by Ruby, and some of Liz Phair's (she sang a song to a guy telling him she wanted to be his "blowjob queen") earlier songs.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

quote:
Originally posted by Sara Claus at home:
quote:
This one is over a decade old. First came out in 1990
Most of the songs mentioned in this thread are over a decade old.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages