snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Christmas Favourites (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas Favourites
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sitting here about a thousand miles from my family, feeling sorry for myself, and I'm watching "Miracle on 34th Street" on AMC. This, along with the recent thread about the up-coming live version of "A Year Without a Sant Claus", got me thinking.

What's everybody's favourite Christmas specials, and / or favouite Christmas movies? I realize this all assumes you actually like those things, and not everyody does, but this thread is for those of us who do.

So, I'll go first. My top ten favourite Christmas specials would be:

A Charlie Brown Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
The Little Drummer Boy
A Claymation Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
Garfield's Christmas
The Year Without a Sant Claus

Movies would be:
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart) / A Christmas Carol (Allistair Sims) / A Muppet Christmas Carol
White Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street
The Bells of Saint Mary's

So, what do you all think?

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Favorite christmas songs: Christmas Eve 1913, What Child is This and Christmas For Cowboys.

Favorite Christmas movies: The Santa Clause, Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart) & the new Annie.

Shows: Rudolph and all of the rest.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like all of the told Rankin-Bass stop-motion animated specials. Even the lame ones like Jack Frost. [Razz]

So...

Traditional Animation
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
Frosty's Winter Wonderland

Stop-Motion Animation
The Little Drummer Boy (1 and 2)
Nestor the Christmas Donkey
The Year Without a Sant Claus
Rudolph's Shiny New Year
Jack Frost
Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July

Movies
A Christmas Story (But only a few times, I can't bear the 24 hour marathon on TNT)
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol (any version, really... it's my favorite Christmas story but my two most favorite versions are...)
Scrooge (Albert Finney)
Scrooged

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katness
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katness   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who I've known for 30 years (and I'm only 37!)... we saw Holiday Inn when we were about 12, and made a pact to always watch it together every holiday season for the rest of our lives. We've actually done pretty well with our promise. It hasn't been EVERY year, as life got a little more complicated than the 12-year-olds had envisioned, but I'd say we've only missed it 5-6 times in 25 years. I gotta call her.... [Smile]

--------------------
Eschew Obfuscation.

Posts: 72 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that's an impressive pact, Katness. I don't usually think of Holiday Inn as specifically a Christmas movie, but it's certainly a great classic. And, in tour case especially, as long as it's a Christmas tradition it works for me (you know, just in case you were wondering).

TallGeekiyGirl, there was a Little Drummer Boy 2?

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas songs:

Father Christmas- The Kinks
Chestnuts roasting

Film:
Christmas story

tv:
Simpsons Christmas
Mr. Hankey christmas special

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love any Christmas song as long as the Temptations are singing it.

My favorite Christmas movie is without a doubt, A Christmas Story. I usually watch the marathon (even though I haven't acutally watched it in its entirety).

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
TallGeekiyGirl, there was a Little Drummer Boy 2?

Yup! It takes place right after the first. Some Romans steal some silver bells and one of the Wise Men help the Drummer Boy get them back.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074805/

Edit: I'd like to add another special. I only saw this once on television, but I've seen it a few times on video.

A Cosmic Christmas

It's by Nelvanamation, and tells the tale of three alien wise men who follow a star to Earth. They don't realize until they land that they are 2,000 years too late.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have to watch

Pee Wee Playhouse Christmas Special
The Christmas Story

Just about any A Christmas Carol, including the Muppets' and Mickey Mouse's version.

And I have to catch at least one version of the Nutcracker.

I really don't like most of the Christmas specials and don't go out of my way to watch them. But I love Christmas episodes of TV shows -- almost any TV show, even ones I don't watch -- both repeats and the new ones.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Songs:

Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas" (My favorite earworm of the holidays)

Longfellow's "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

On the silly side Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey!

I do love the stop-motion Ruldolph. I can still remember how much the Bumble used to scare me when I first saw it.

Favorite movie has to be "Miracle on 34th Street". In black and white, please.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

AMC, like I said at the start, is currently showing the original "Miracle on 34th Street", but sadly it's the colourized version.

As to Christmas episodes, TV Land has been showing a bunch of them this weekend, and I've enjoyed watching Andy Griffith, Sanford & Son, All in the Family, and The Jeffersons. I haven't seen it in years, but WKRP had a great one.

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The stupid dog woke me up at 5:30 the other morning and I ended up catching one of Murphy Brown's Christmas shows on Nick@Night. I forgave the dog.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any version of A Christmas Carol, including Scrooged.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Movies:

Elf
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Muppet Christmas Carol
Love Actually (not for kids but a great love story set around the holidays)

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Elf! How could I forget Elf?

My family always considered "An Affair to Remember" a Christmas movie but I hardly ever see it any more.

--------------------

Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like a few things. I am really into Christmas this year. Dunno why, but in Augest I kept saying I wanted it to be Christmas time. Anyhow, here's my list... Definitly a few already listed here:

Cartoons~
Charlie Brown Christmas
Frosty the Snowman

Stop-Motion Animation~
(Barrowed Tall's list.)
The Little Drummer Boy

Movies~
A Christmas Story
A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart)
Scrooged

Songs~
Bing's "White Christmas"
Elvis "I'll be home for Christmas"
Nat King Cole all of his stuff.
Various Artists "Twisted Christmas"

Forgotten "Bah Humbug Need Not Apply" Fay

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Oh there is one version of A Christmas Carol that I didn't like much. That was the musical version with Kelsey Grammar. Maybe I just have a different definition of "musical."

Having the characters break into song every now and again is enjoyable. See Scrooge with Albert Finney as an example. When you sing every freakin' word it gets very annoying very quickly.

ETA: A Christmas Carol, with George C. Scott, is also one of my favorite versions of that story. I haven't seen this one in a while, and it had slipped my memory!

Also add:

A Christmas Carol, animated, with Alastair Sim. This half-hour version showed once on TV in 1974. After much searching and much Googling, I finally found a VHS copy of it a few years ago and ordered it at once. I watched it as soon as it arrived... in June. Thus far, this is the *only* version of the story in which an attempt was made to show the Ghost of Christmas Past as she was described by Dickens.

--------------------

Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also have to put a vote in for Scrooge (1970). But I've often wondered if my fondness for it stems largely from having grown up with it. I could imagine someone coming to it fresh today might well find it overlong, sometimes tedious, and only having a couple of genuinely "good" songs. Other thoughts?

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Claymation Christmas!
"Here we go a waffling.."

My favorite was the Carol of the Bells. SPLAT!!

I also love the Muppet Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, and Wakko's Wish.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, I was originally going to pass this by since honestly I haven't done the whole Christmas thing all that much the past few years, but now y'all have done and got me all nostalgic. [Wink]

Let's see...

Movies:
A Christmas Story (I'm surprised it took til the third entry for this to pop up [Wink] )
Umm... eek. I can't think of any more I'm really attached to offhand. Most of the stuff I liked for the holidays were specials. I mean, some like It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street make me feel nostalgic and all when I catch bits of them, and make me feel more like it's the holidays, but I don't go out of my way to see them or anything. I know there's gotta be more that I liked, but I can't bring them to mind right offhand. Maybe I'll edit them in later if I think of any. [Wink]

Specials:
Most of the stop-motion animation ones, but especially Rudolph the Rudolph ones (I guess there was only the one Christmas one come to think of it, then one for New Years', and one for Easter, or something?)
Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas (Haven't seen this on TV in ages, and it's somewhere between "special" and "movie," and I actually found it on DVD a while back, yay! Probably wouldn't like it if I saw it for the first time as an adult, but I loved it as a kid, and some of the songs are sweet.)
While most of the specials and movies and songs that I like are from liking them as a kid, I also saw a newer one like two Christmases(esesese) ago that I thought was surprisingly good for something new that just popped up on Cartoon Network - it was "Olive the Other Reindeer" or something like that, about a dog named Olive who heard about Santa needing "all of the other reindeer" and thought it was a call for her personally, and follows her adventures from that point on. Surprisingly cute, and clever in places. ^^

Songs:
"The Little Drummer Boy" (the version sung by David Bowie and Bing Crosby)
"Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Live Aid (or Band Aid, I forget which it was then)
"Gabriel's Message" sung by Sting
And just a lot of Christmas Carols in general make me feel all mellow. ^^

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

"Waffling" and "Carol of the Bells" were great, pirateslife, but my favourite bit was in "We Three Kings" when the camels started singing. The California Raisins were great, too.
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas.
I love that one, too. Also, I just remembered Chrismas Eve on Sesame Street
ETA: I listen to John Denver and the Muppets every year. BAH-DUM-DUM-DUM!

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Movies:
Scrooged
The Ref
Lethal Weapon (the first one)

Music:
The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping" (Save Ferris also does an awesome version)
Band Aid "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
John Lennon "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)"
Beach Boys "Little Saint Nick"

TV shows:
None that play every year, though occasionally there will be a good new episode of something. The Studio 60 that aired tonight (tomorrow in the States) was pretty terrific, but serialized shows don't make for seasonal repeating. The episode of The X-Files with Lily Tomlin and Ed Asner as a couple of Christmas ghosts was a great one. I kinda remember that Sesame Street, the one with Bert and Ernie playing out the Gift of the Magi scenario. Then there was the John Denver episode of The Muppet Show. I haven't seen those last two in twenty-five years or more, I think.

Max "I got a partner who's fifty...he still can't understand why they took 'Happy Days' off the air." Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love all the classics, but my all time favorite is "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the mice.

I am not an Elvis freak, but I like his Christmas songs because my mom always played them when we were kids. We also had a "Twas the Night Before Christmas" (with the mice) and "The Chipmunk's Christmas" albums that had the whole story on the album. I always loved those the most.

I also like the Nat King Cole, and Burl Ives Christmas songs.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katness
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katness   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
Now that's an impressive pact, Katness. I don't usually think of Holiday Inn as specifically a Christmas movie, but it's certainly a great classic. And, in tour case especially, as long as it's a Christmas tradition it works for me (you know, just in case you were wondering).

Well, it tends to be run on tv around Christmas.. but I own the DVD now, so it can be "the holidays" anytime I want. [Big Grin]

Holiday Inn is a Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire film and is actually the movie that introduced the Irving Berlin song "White Christmas" to the world. The song became so popular that they made the movie "White Christmas", also starring.. you got it... Bing Crosby.

I agree with you, DO3, it IS a great classic. For those who have never seen it, I'm sure it'll be playing on a tv near you sometime this month.. check it out! [Smile]

--------------------
Eschew Obfuscation.

Posts: 72 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

As a testiment to my geekiness, I do rather like A Nightmare Before Christmas, too. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
I love all the classics, but my all time favorite is "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the mice.

This is a fun one, too, but even when I was younger it always rather bothered me that it had so little to do with the poem. Sure, they recite it at the end, but the main plot of the show had nothing whatever in common with the poem.

And the "kerplunk/kerplooey" interaction became a year-round saying in our house when we were describing anything that went wrong. We'd always set the other person up by delivering the "I was just [doing whatever] and all of a sudden everything went--"

--------------------

MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoy the Mr. Magoo Christmas Carol. They don't show that one very often anymore.

Sad really.

MacLloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
Lethal Weapon (the first one)[qb]

I have a friend who lists that as his favorite Christmas movie -- watches it every year....(haven't yet seen it myself)

[qb]
quote:
The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping"

One of my definite favorites. If I'm in the mood, I actually almost tear up at parts of it, despite the happy ending....

For special TV episodes, there was always "How the Finch Stole Christmas" on "Just Shoot Me."

And for what had to be the lamest Christmas episode ever, I nominate "A Bionic Christmas Carol." Yep, Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man, in a Santa suit, carrying the crotchety old man (it might even have been Charles Lane) around in a snowstorm to see how his poor employees are celebrating Christmas on thin rations. I saw a rerun of this when I was drugged up on painkillers for a nasty back strain once....come to think of it, maybe I did just imagine it. Because....wow.

I haven't actually watched any Christmas specials or movies in quite a few years, at least that stand out in my mind. Well, other than the "South Park" ones, which only sort of count. [Smile]

Mr. Hankey, the Christmas poo
He loves me, I love you,
therefore vicariously he loves you,
even if you're a Jew...!

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberry Limeade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Movies:

Christmas Vacation
Elf
Love Actually

TV:

A Charlie Brown Christmas (I absolutely love the kid in the orange shirt during the dancing scenes)

Songs:

"All I Want for Christmas"

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
Movies:
The Ref
Lethal Weapon (the first one)

Yep! Two of my favorites. I'll also add Die Hard and Die Hard 2.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Movies:

*Muppet Christmas Carol. Oddly, I find this to be the closest to the actual story.
*It's a Wonderful LIfe
*National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

TV Specials:
*Charlie Brown Christmas
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas
*Muppet Family Christmas (Can you tell I'm a Muppet fan?)

I like most Christmas carols but I think my all time favorite is O Holy Night, only if done properly.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Three things I must watch every year:
1. "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott as Scrooge
2. "Holiday Inn"
3. "Meet Me in St. Louis" - I still cry every time I see Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" to Margaret O'Brien.

I sing with our church choir, and my favorite of all that we sing is the "Night of Silence/Silent Night" combo. For anyone that doesn't know it, "Night of Silence" is truly one of the most beautiful Christmas songs. When the rest of us begin singing the 4th verse, our cantor begins singing the first verse of "Silent Night." It's beyond words.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greatest Christmas Song EVER: Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl.

As for carols, I'm very fond of "Hark! The herald angels sing".

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

You know, I've yet to see "Meet Me in St. Louis". It's definitely one of those movies to see before I die. I've also never seen "The Christmas Story" or "Elf".

Maybe we need a whole new thread to compare versions of "A Christmas Carol". I do like George C. Scott's version, but I tend to think of Alistair Simms' when I think of a classic rendition, Patrick Stewart's when I think of a modern, straight version, and the Muppets' when I think of a musical version. I think the fellow who played Fred in the Muppet version was the best Fred ever. My favourite Bob Cratchitt was in Patrick Stewart's version (with no offense meant to Kermit).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages