snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Music to massage to

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music to massage to
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm training as a complementary therapist at the moment, and I'm looking for something that I can play while I work for those clients that prefer music.

However I'm not having pan pipes or whale calls in my house. Nor am I keen on using "The Most Relaxing Album In The World... Ever!" because you never know what connotations well-known pieces of music might have for an individual. Vocals are usually out, too, since it's harder to relax deeply when you're concentrating on lyrics.

Can anyone recommend uplifting, gentle, flowing music that might fit the bill? I need about 90 minutes of music. I'd particularly like some piano solos - something along the lines of Satie's Gymnopedies, but a bit less well known.

Thanks, oh, and the first person to say "Motorhead" gets fish-slapped!

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose "Flight of the Bumblebee" is out?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
I suppose "Flight of the Bumblebee" is out?

[lol]
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd vote for "1812 Overture." There's an exciting part with cannons where you can probably get away with slapping things to see if they jiggle.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dawnda
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For piano music, I love anything by George Winston or related Windham Hill artists, which are new-age, jazz, etc. I've tried Enya, Clannad, & even a tape of beach surf sounds, & one of the CMTs I go to has Nora Jones. Celtic harp, Maggie Sansone (dulcimer), Native American flute perhaps? Or you could ask clients what they would like--I actually drag cd's in to my therapist.

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Steven Halpern, any Celtic harp or flute, Enya, Anandi, any classical adagios, Japanese flute, Native American flute or chanting, I have an album but don't know if Libera is the name of the album or boys' choir, Kenny G, most of Tori Amos' "The Beekeeper"--mr almost 3-year-old falls asleep to that album for his naps.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tenorcs
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenorcs   Author's Homepage   E-mail tenorcs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a personal bias, because he was a huge musical influence on me as a child, but the album "Pianosong" by Paul Halley would be great for your purposes.

Available at this link:

http://www.pelagosmusic.com/images/cdtitles.html

Posts: 95 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of my favorite instrumental soundtracks are The Moderns, The Big Blue and The Straight Story, though that last one may cause the person on the table to start weeping at points, which is probably not your goal.

Max "Get me the Frenchman!" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are CDs labelled "New Age" that would probably be perfect for you...you might want to check online or in a record store near you.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Essential Yo-Yo Ma (available from Amazon) is an album with some tracks that are perfect for relaxation. I think there is something so soothing about cello music.

Now I come to think of it to receive a massage with 'Prélude from Suite No. 1 in G Major for Cello' playing would be bliss.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
The Essential Yo-Yo Ma (available from Amazon) is an album with some tracks that are perfect for relaxation. I think there is something so soothing about cello music.

Now I come to think of it to receive a massage with 'Prélude from Suite No. 1 in G Major for Cello' playing would be bliss.

I love this album. I usually listen to it when I have to do a lot of reading for class, it helps me block out the sounds of the dorm but it is not distracting itself.

mystic burrito

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My lifelong friend who's an LMT once gave me a massage to the accompaniment of Devo's Greatest Hits (she was feeling nostalgic for our high school days). But I don't recommend that.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages