snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » What are you playing now, Part Deux (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: What are you playing now, Part Deux
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just started playing my first action/adventure game ever. DH bought me Kingdom Hearts & I've gotten through the first part. I'm on the island looking for a log right now.
It's fun to play but I swear that I have the fine motor skills of a 4YO! I've made Sora run into more walls and fall off more stairs & piers that it's a wonder he hasn't turned around & flipped me off! I told DH it will probably take me 2 years to get through it as horrible as I play & as little time as I have right now.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trust me, it gets easier. I'm not that hot at those type of games, either, but by the end I had total control of Sora. The @#$% camera does not help at all, either. I've heard that's going to be one of the improvments in the sequel.

Enjoy the game, though. I just finished replaying it last week and I still love it as much as the first time I picked it up.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished Conflict: Desert Storm.

If you EVER have the chance to buy this in a discount bin - RUN AWAY!!!!

It is slow, a resource hog with no good graphics to explain the need, and you get to choose US or SAS troops... but there are only UNIFORM differences between them. All the weapons are US weapons, the missions are all the same, and even the VOICES used as narration are Americanese voices!!

I spent $3.99 on it at Wal-Mart, and got screwed out of $5.00.

The game sucks.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm playing Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones on my new (well, nearly a month old now) PS2. I've just got to the final fight, I think, but not completed it yet. Luckily I thought ahead and bought Prince of Persia: Warrior Within in case I get withdrawal symptoms after completing it.

I have several other games, most of which came free with the machine, but the only other I've been playing to any extent is Mortal Kombat: Deception. There's a lot more depth to those games than I'd realised before...

I have a Splinter Cell game that I've not played yet but I'm looking forward to starting it after finishing PoP:T2T.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really a new game, but I finally defeated that psycho Psymon on The Throne Jam in SSX 3. I spent weeks trying to beat him, but he'd always get a huge score just as I'm about to cross the finish line. I went back to it after taking a break from it and after a few tries I finally managed to beat him.

The trick really was to get as far away from him as possible and finish the race while getting pulling some decent tricks before he could. Not pushing him at the very beginning of the race also helps.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got Ape Escape 3 today. I was turned off by the lighthearted-approach* at first, but I eventually got over it with the Transform ability. C'mon, who wouldn't love to have the ability to make monkeys dance?! Anyway, I currently can't put it down! Now if only I could get the original Ape Escape somewhere...

*This may sound strange but I thought the original Ape Escape was a little dark. Not Devil May Cry dark or even Kingdom Hearts dark--from what I remember, it seemed to take itself a little too seriously. However, it had one of the coolest boss fights and final stages I've ever played, plus Specter was one badass monkey. He doesn't sound so badass this time around, then again he actually has other monkeys helping him who wear more than shorts. However, the less said about Monkey Yellow the better. And I wondered what happened to Jake and the computer girl [Samantha I think] from the first one?

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see. Yesterday I played Mercenaries, which was shite, Manhunt which I thought was fun but my friend didn't (he has zero patience for things that require stealth or tactics, and likes to simply wade in and kill things), and we completed Darkwatch which I found to be fun for a while, but limited and shallow. Also little more than a Halo mod, really.

At home, I'm playing a wealth of BBC Micro games that I've found online (and which are legal!), but mainly Elite. Even 22-odd years later, this is a damn good game.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just picked up Fable: The Lost Chapters yesterday and have been playing it a lot. Even though I haven't finished half the games I am already playing. Fable is very good. The whole moral system was is a little overblown, but very solid RPG overall.

I am the worst about finishing games. I get about 75% done with one game, then pick up a new game and drop the old one, then finish it 6 months later, after I make it through 75% of the new game.

Anyone else do that?

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muridae
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muridae     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sims 2 at home. I'm starting the second generation in my "Funnytown" neighborhood. Everyone in Funnytown is named after a comic strip character.

At work, just FreeCell and Solitaire.

-- M

--------------------
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.
- Joss Whedon

Posts: 305 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I finished Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and started Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

I'm finding it a little annoying. Some people had said that they gave up because of fiddly controls and having a lot to remember; I don't really think they're fiddly but the problem is it's often not clear what they're actually doing. Especially the various guns and ammo and so on. And if you pick up an "object" then if you try to use the gun, it throws the object and makes a noise - I didn't realise that at first.

There's quite a lot to remember, and the training videos aren't much help - I keep having to pause it and read the manual every time I'm about to do something. And there seems to be a mistake in the manual - I was using the button that the manual says is a KO attack but when I got to the end of the first mission, I only got 28% and it told me I'd killed everybody including a civilian (the radio operator?) - which loses loads of points, despite the fact that I'd been trying not to kill anybody if possible. I think the button they've marked as "lethal attack" is actually the KO, but there's no way to tell until you get to the end of the mission. And things like alarms and electrical equipment you're supposed to be able to disable but it's never quite clear how, or if I'm just missing the point. On my last game I stopped because there was an alarm button on the wall and I thought I might need to disable it, and somebody popped up and killed me while I was faffing about.

All those are teething problems though - I think I'll like it more when I've actually experimented a bit and worked them out.

Also started Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I'm glad I'd played the other one first - this one really drops you in it without much preparation. There are some quite tricky fights right near the start... oh, and the camera angles keep changing half-way through jumps and so on in this one which is annoying. They'd sorted that out in the sequel.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm PLaying 'Half Life 2' on the Xbox.

Very solid FPS with excellent graphics.

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Update: Now I am playing Halo 2 on Xbox live And GTA 3. At the same time! I like to play GTA 3 while I'm waiting for a matchmade game.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SpongeBob SquarePants : The Battle for Bikini Bottom
------------------------------------------------------
Stop laughing in the back.

I picked this up for €6.99 and for a preteen-oriented platformer, it's really good. The graphics are unremarkable but solid with very funny animations, the voice clips are witty and true to the show, and the only thing truly grating is the repetitve (but, again, true to the show) music.

The gameplay holds up surprisingly well. It's very, very easy, of course, with extra health everywhere and checkpoints/restarts every six feet. That said, it is fun, especially since the frustration factor that usually plagues licensed platformers is completely missing; the controls are responsive, you're given a generous margin of error when jumping and the camera always stays focused on what you need to see.

It's not a stellar game, utterly forgetable and quickly finished, but it's a relaxing and funny experience while it lasts. It really shows that someone cared about making this game work.

***°°/*****

I've also picked up Def Jam Vendetta and Future Tactics : The Uprising from the bargain bin, but haven't played them extensively; from what I can tell, DJ:V is a pretty solid wrestler with a hint of WWF:No Mercy on the N64 (only played one match, though); FT:U has a few interesting ideas, and it's strangely addictive, but there are severe camera problems and the whole experience feels hollow and unengaging.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I finished Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and started Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Hah. I remember once when I played nothing but the original Splinter Cell for three weeks. I knew I had to stop when a friend pointed out that I was sticking to shadows and dodging security cameras.

What a great game that was.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just started playing Chrono Trigger.

I played it years ago but never got to finish. It was barrowed and I had to return it. Maybe I'll get to see the end?

Yes, I know the game is like, 100 years old, thank you. [Razz] lol

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dead or Alive 4

Solid fighting game with great visuals but...

//Geeky fanboy mode on//

No normal human, no matter how well trained, would be able to go toe to toe with a Spartan II Super Soldier, much less one in full MJOILNIR Armour. The Spartan Soldier show in DOA4 is also increadiably slow, since the Spartan Program and MJOILNIR Armour increase speed and reflexes.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rynn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Rynn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rynn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Warriors on PS2. Good Beat-em-Up game with better than average story. One thing that suprised me was the character development that was missing from the original film. The entire beginning chapters are a set-up for the original plot and take place 3 months prior to the gang meeting.

For those who haven't seen the 1970's movie, the Warriors are a NYC street gang who are framed for the murder of another gang warlord during an all-gang meeting, and they have to find their way back to their own turf (Coney Island), all the while being chased by a variety of other gangs.

Better story than graffics but overall really good. There's nothing like smashing a bottle over someone's head after a hard day at the office! [Big Grin]

Posts: 50 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Still playing Call of Duty United Offensive (multiplayer), Star Wars Battlefront II (single and multiplayer), and Heros of the Pacific. Oh, and I just started Bauler's Gate Icedale II.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I haven't mentioned that I'm still playing Hexen II. Old school, but very cool still.

I've been doing quite a bit of Chuckie Egg on my BBC emulator, too. And I've just started Castle Quest for the first time in about 20 years. I got stuck the other day and a couple of hours later actually remembered how to get out of the prison - quite a feat considering that I didn't even remember the game at first. Now, if I could just remember how to get the aqualung. Or how to get past the spider. No, wait. No word of a lie, I think I've just got it...

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
I've been doing quite a bit of Chuckie Egg on my BBC emulator, too. And I've just started Castle Quest for the first time in about 20 years.

Chuckie Egg was a fantastic game... and CastleQuest! Wow! I remember how to get out of the prison... and I think I remember how to beat the spider:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
You need a piece of meat from the kitchen, I think, and you drop it by the spider and the spider drops down and eats the meat first and you can run underneath while it's picking up the meat. Or something like that.

I can't remember how you get the aqualung, I'm afraid. In fact, I just realised I'm confusing the game with Citadel... Citadel was by Superior Software but Castle Quest was Acornsoft. I know I've played Castle Quest because I remember the puzzles you're talking about... time for some Googling!

(edit) Aha! Castle Quest was Micropower apparently... but now I've seen the graphics I remember the cheesy version of The Sorcerer's Apprentice that it played while loading... excellent!

2ys4u

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sims 2, always and forever. I'm obsessed.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squeaky
Little Discounter Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squeaky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back and forth between Final Fantasy VII and We Love Katamari. Horrendously addicitve, that one [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I think I just had an evilgasm."-Xykon, OOTS

"Sacrificing minions: Is there any problem it can't solve?" -Xykon, OOTS

"Whooooooo! I'm invisible!"-Elan, OOTS

Posts: 139 | From: G-dot (aka Guelph), Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just completed a conquest win in Civ4 (Total Experience mod, huge map, 12 AI civs, Emperor level), I've broken out one of my absolute favorite old games, MOO2. I think I'll be the Psilons for the first game.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
You need a piece of meat from the kitchen, I think, and you drop it by the spider and the spider drops down and eats the meat first and you can run underneath while it's picking up the meat. Or something like that.

Nope, you place the torches so that the little red men get eaten instead of you.

quote:
I can't remember how you get the aqualung, I'm afraid. In fact, I just realised I'm confusing the game with Citadel... Citadel was by Superior Software but Castle Quest was Acornsoft. I know I've played Castle Quest because I remember the puzzles you're talking about... time for some Googling!
Ah, you're thinking of getting the frozen chicken out of the freezer, then putting it in the fireplace to cook it, and using it to appease the guardian of the starport. Why, yes, I have been playing Citadel, too. Fantastic game.

If you used to have a Beeb Micro (or an Electron), I thoroughly recommend going to http://www.stairwaytohell.com/ and downloading BeebEm and some ROMs. They're all legal, and I'll bet that the games are at least as good as you remember them to be. Damn hard, too, some of them.

And I bet I can beat your high score on Imogen, whatever it may be...

quote:
Aha! Castle Quest was Micropower apparently... but now I've seen the graphics I remember the cheesy version of The Sorcerer's Apprentice that it played while loading... excellent! [/QB]
Yeah, it's brilliant. Most notable for the way it fades out badly, but oh so charmingly.

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Shadow Of The Colossus. The new one from the guys who did the underrated gam Ico (which is, or will soon be re-released. If you've not played it, make a point to).

This game's brilliant. You know very little about your charater - you turn up at a temple on a horse (you, not the temple) carrying the dead body of a girl and you make a deal with a disembodied voice that she will have her soul back if you ride out and kill 16 colossi. And that's it. There's pretty much no power-ups, no little fights to interrupt your journey to the colossi and what you have is, essentially, 16 boss fights without the game inbetween. But it just works so well. Anything more to the game would be superfluous.

Each colossus very different, while being obviously related to each other. Some are humanoid, some are avian, some are mammalian, some are reptilian, some are insectoid and some are piscine. And they are huge. The ground shakes as they walk, and you'd be a fool to get under their feet as they crash down. They all have weak spots that you have to get to and plunge your sword into a few times. The trick is in working out how to get up there, and then actually doing it, clinging on for dear life while they try to shake you off.

My friend and I have only killed 7 of them so far, and it's already been damn exciting, and there's been unbelievable variety. The game is also beautiful. It's got the same palette as Ico had, all sombre and muted hues which give an almost dreamlike quality to the game. What's also unusual is the moral ambiguity of the game - because you don't know who you are or really why you're doing what you're doing, killing most of the mainly passive colossi is actually quite sad.

Can't recommend it enough. You'll never have played anything like it.

--------------------

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The SO and I got a demo of Shadow of the Colossus and were also struck by the moral ambiguity of the killing. It was very strange having to go out and kill this large thing (although to be fair, the Colossus on the demo DID sort of chase after us) without knowing WHY we were killing it. I found it a little unsettling, but the game is definitely beautiful, well-done, and quite different.

I'm currently playing The Hobbit for PS2. I got this game two Christmases ago and still have yet to beat it as I play it in sporadic bursts. As a game, meh, it's not so great. The graphics are cute in a cartoonie way, but not terribly impressive. The game play diverges so much from the novel that it's a bit silly at times. The game is mainly puzzle solving (finding keys, unlocking doors, etc.) and at times, the puzzles can be maddeningly irritating. Case in point, last night, I needed to get to a treasury, but to get to the treasury I needed to go to the forge to get a key, but to get the key, I needed to find the right key mold, and I needed to get the forge working, but to get the forge working, I needed to get the water power system working, and to get the key mold, I had to get two OTHER key molds... and it just goes on and on... It's sort of enjoyable in a mindless way with the nearly unending (but sometimes challenging) puzzles, but certainly no great game.

I've got the Goblet of Fire Harry Potter game that I've yet to try, but I'm trying to get The Hobbit completed before I jump into that one.

Also, I finally completed Kingdom Hearts last week after borrowing it from my sister-in-law-to-be's husband months ago. What on earth was all the fuss about that game for? I honestly didn't see what was so great about it. I found the ridiculous amount of fights mind-numbing after a while with all the furious pushing of the X button, and the endless stream of boss guys near the ending nearly drove me to the edge. I thought the game was fun at the beginning when I was on the island, but it quickly lost it's charm for me. Am I alone in this? Everyone seems to adore this game.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
Shadow Of The Colossus. The new one from the guys who did the underrated gam Ico (which is, or will soon be re-released. If you've not played it, make a point to).

It was re-released yesterday, in fact, and I bought a copy. Also Shadow of the Colossus and God of War. I've not played any of them yet.
Richard W

Now I've got a moment, here's what I have been playing:

Mostly Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within. It annoyed me last night because I'd stayed up struggling to complete an objective, then when I finally completed it (activating the clockwork tower) it turned out that it doesn't give you a bloody save point afterwards, so I had to carry on playing in a fairly weak state to try to reach a save point - not helped by the "restart" resurrecting some monsters that I'd already killed. And then the bloody thing crashed before I'd managed to make it to a save point. I got killed but instead of dying, the Prince lay on the floor in some sort of spasm and apparently went into an infinite loop. There was nothing I could do about it other than quit. So I have to do it all again.

I played through King Kong at the weekend - probably wouldn't have bought it but it was free with my PS2. Nice graphics (edit - and the dinosaurs are great) but the game itself isn't that exciting, particularly because you're constrained by the plot. The finalé is pointless - you just climb the Empire State building and bash planes (or not) until you die.

I also had another go at Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and completed the second mission, on the cargo ship. I was right that the manual tells you the lethal attack is the KO - once I knew that I went back and did the first mission again, actually knocking people out, and got 96% instead of 28%, which is a definite improvement. Now that I've worked out what's what I think I could get really into it.

Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm playing Chaos Theory as well and, well, I'm lucky enough that my manual is accurate. [Razz] The only two guys I've killed other than in self-defense so far are the two torturers in the first mission. Bastards.

I like the game very much so far, but I've run into a few graphical glitches. Maybe it's unique to the GameCube? But on the cargo ship, there were a few instances of characters' silhouettes showing through the walls. Took me a while to figure out what those little black human shapes were doing, pacing up and down the wall. [Eek!] Also, I can't seem to get the transparent windows to work in the Displace mission. Can anybody help?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
I'm playing Chaos Theory as well and, well, I'm lucky enough that my manual is accurate. [Razz] The only two guys I've killed other than in self-defense so far are the two torturers in the first mission. Bastards.

The place in my manual that's wrong is the diagram of the controller showing what each button does - they have the labels on the L1 and R1 buttons the wrong way round. (edit) I guess if you've got the GameCube version then it's a different controller and so a different diagram, so not surprising yours is correct.

Actually, when I got to the end of the mission the second time round, it told me I'd killed two people as well, and I couldn't remember which two it was as I thought I'd been "merciful" even to those two. Perhaps I shot somebody but used the lethal ammo by mistake - still not sure I've quite figured out the gun. But if I had to kill any of them I was hoping it was the two torturers.

I haven't got to the Displace mission yet so can't help there. (And that glitch with shadows doesn't seem to affect the PS2 version.)

Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently on a Baldur's Gate 2 bender. It is the single richest game (that I know of) in terms of characters, options, and replayability.

Unfortunately I just accidently saved over my most current file, losing roughly three hours of gameplay. I swear, if I could get that data back I would update my back-up file after every quest.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Wild Card said:
I'm currently on a Baldur's Gate 2 bender. It is the single richest game (that I know of) in terms of characters, options, and replayability.

That's an excellent game...

I bought Neverwinter Nights at one point but the bloody thing crashed on my machine whenever you tried to leave the training level. It's a known problem to do with certain video drivers, but trying to upgrade the video driver (which was the suggested fix, rather than a patch for the game) just broke my computer altogether so I had to reinstall the OS, and gave up on the game. Very disappointing. I gave it to my brother and he apparently enjoyed it.

I finished PoP: Warrior Within. Rather downbeat ending - especially if you've played The Two Thrones first. I was expecting to rescue Kaileena somehow. And I hadn't even realised I was on the final fight until the game abruptly ended. Unless there are alternate endings and I messed up somehow.

Now I'm playing Ico, which is harder than I was expecting - although partly because I'm very slow on the uptake. I was faffing about by the windmill for about an hour, because I tried to do the right thing but in slightly the wrong place, and decided it couldn't be the right answer. It took me ages to try again in the right place, even though it was far more obvious to try there. I've also been finding it a lot easier once I realised that you could drag Yonda out of the shadow portals, and the game wasn't automatically lost the moment she was put in one!

Fiyero

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fiyero   E-mail Fiyero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only 2 games that I play are Neverwinter Nights, and Day of Defeat Source. Though I never had the crashing problem with neverwinter nights, and I have found that it is a very enjoyable game, especially when you get online and find a good server to play on. The Campaigns themselves I never found to be replayable even though they are suppose to have different options for different things (classes, alighnment et.) but the solution to that was to download other mods to play
Posts: 7 | From: Missouri | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LivingDeadGurl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivingDeadGurl   E-mail LivingDeadGurl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ico was a great game. Haven't played it in a few years, but may need to drag it back out. Currently, DDO! Much better than WOW!

--------------------
You drink too much Tang!

Posts: 40 | From: Cuyahoga Falls, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Played a level or two of Black last night. Very pretty, and very difficult, but all a bit much after a hard day at work.

--------------------

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages