snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » What are you playing now, Part Deux (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: What are you playing now, Part Deux
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a level 75 character on Titan server for FFXI, a level 20 character on Hyjal server for World of Warcraft, I'm about halfway thru Stella Deus and I bought the sequel to Disgaea but haven't started it. I also have Black and White 2 that I haven't started yet.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, got some early birthday presents, so I'm on Super Monkey Ball 2 (fun, but probably better in multi-player... and the dialogue flies through horrible straight into hilarious! "Magic spell is Ei-Ei-Poo!") and the first Splinter Cell. The only thing that annoy me so far in Splinter Cell is the camera control, but I'll get used to it. I like the idea of a game with guns that doesn't turn into a game about guns. [Razz]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mostly Soul Calibur III and Kingdom of Loathing, with some occasional We Love Katamari and Phantasy Star Online thrown in.

Still eagerly awaiting Kingdom Hearts 2, especially now I've found some more about what's coming. It's going to rock. I'm also asking for The Movies for Christmas.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I have a new favorite game Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics

The Dia Senryaku series (Roughly translated that's Japanese for "Grand Strategy") has apparently been a very popular series of games in Japan for many years, but Dia Senryaku VII is the first to make it to the states.

Much like Shattered Union which I mentioned earlier in this thread, Dia Senryaku is a hex based turn based strategy game. And its actually quite a bit better in most respects then Shattered Union, which was very enjoyable.

Again my standard disclaimer I mentioned on my post about Shattered Union applies. Hex Based War Games are not everyone's cup of tea. They are slow paced, even for strategy games. A typical battle in Dia Senryaku can be composed of 50 or 60 turns and take several hours.

The game allows you to choose one of seven modern nations, the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, China, Germany, France, Japan, and Israel. Each nation has a number of military units with air, infantry, land, and sea units all represented.

The game is incrediably in-depth. They are 450 different units, they are dozens of different types of terrains, each unit has multiple types of weapons, everything up to and including which way a unit is facing (i.e. hitting a unit from the back or side tends to both do more damage and lessen the counter attack then hitting it head on) has an effect on gameplay. Each terrain also grants a defensive and movement differance. For instance a tank can travel faster on a road or level plain, but is wide upon for attack. Moving through forest, rough terrain, or cities is slower but gives you a defensive advantage.

A nice touch is that they are different elevations then simple land/air. For instance jet fighters fly can higher then attack helicopters and submarines can dive to both shallow and deep depths.

In a style similar to Advance War you start out with a Headquarters, which if captured ends the match regardless of the number of how many units you have left, and a number of cities (which provide income), ports (create and repair ships), airports (aircraft), and factories (land units) for creating units. Certain units can capture enemy facilities.

Another nice touch, a technique similar to the gameplay in Shattered Union is that most indirect fire units can move and fire in the same turn, although Dia Senryaku does have so called "deployable" units that must be set up after being moved before being used, but these units are offset by increased power. Artillery units are also handled much more realistically then in most of strategy games, having huge damage and fire radius. In a wonderful touch of realism most artillery units can actually fire farther then they can see, so to effectively use them you must use scout units in tandam with them. Infantry is also much tougher and better armed then the typical useless cannon fodder that passes for infantry in other games.

The graphics are acceptable, but very bare bones and basic. The sound effects are good, but the music is painfully generic and repitative, but there is an option to turn it off. It always bugs me that games like this, which are meant to be played to hours on end, don't support custom sound tracks.

The only real big downside is that the game lacks any story at all, even in campaign mode. You simply are told at the beginning of each battle who the enemy is and what you have to do to win, and that's it.

Another nice touch is the budget price, 20 bucks brand new.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I'm mostly playing Halo 2. Though I have been adding a little classic Starcraft to mix things up a bit.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
Well, got some early birthday presents, so I'm on Super Monkey Ball 2 (fun, but probably better in multi-player... and the dialogue flies through horrible straight into hilarious! "Magic spell is Ei-Ei-Poo!") and the first Splinter Cell. The only thing that annoy me so far in Splinter Cell is the camera control, but I'll get used to it. I like the idea of a game with guns that doesn't turn into a game about guns. [Razz]

Little follow-up: SMB2 is crazy fun in multi-player. AND it got my SO playing! Wooooooooooo!!! She loves the flying monkeys!

And Splinter Cell kicks ass. The camera control feels natural now and I still enjoy sitting in the dark for 10 minutes trying to figure out my way past guards. [Razz] They're getting hard to knock out unnoticed now (just done sneaking out of the CIA building).

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Um, I'm mostly playing Halo 2. Though I have been adding a little classic Starcraft to mix things up a bit.

Have you ever tried to play a lot of WC3, then switch back to SC? It's a guaranteed bloodbath, with you supplying the blood. [Razz] SC is freakishly frantic in the rate of unit production and their expected lifetime compared to WC3 units. We used to be pro at this game but now me and my friends get our asses ended to us time and time again. [Razz]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:

Have you ever tried to play a lot of WC3, then switch back to SC? It's a guaranteed bloodbath, with you supplying the blood. [Razz] SC is freakishly frantic in the rate of unit production and their expected lifetime compared to WC3 units. We used to be pro at this game but now me and my friends get our asses ended to us time and time again. [Razz]
I haven't tried that, but I find I can only actively play one game like this at a time. Because I get too confused with different command keys and all the other important stuff to remember. I am having a hard enough time just learning how to play the Zerg.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got Madden 06 for the PS2 and it's a nice football game.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Call of Duty 2. Excellent game, like the first one. Very cinematic. The obligatory D-Day mission has you scaling cliffs at Pointe du Hoc. A very stomach-clenching experience all around.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally got a PS2 and Kingdom Hearts, which I just beat this afternoon.

I've read all about the storyline and ending over the years, but still I was really moved by it nearly to tears especially at the last ending movie, mostly because I really gotten to like all of the characters. Yeah, call me a pansy.

My next game will be Soul Calibur III and it's character creation mode, but from what I heard I'm gonna have to sacrifice my KH file for it if I don't go out and buy another memory card. >:\

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shurimon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shurimon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shurimon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't had much time to play my Gamecube since I got it a few months ago, but I'm slowly working through Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and LOTR: Two Towers. I'm hoping to get either DDR: Mario Mix or Donkey Konga soon.

--------------------
"Oh, coulda-shoulda-Prada, honey!" ~Karen, "Will & Grace"
Head of Hufflepuff at Platform 9 3/4. PNTQ- The One For You!

Posts: 112 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been playing Civ4 for the past month. Once I got patch V1.52 installed, it's been running quite well. The graphics are the best of all the Civ games, and some of the annoyances from previous Civs have been fixed.

For instance, pollution now affects the amount of food in a city. So you don't need hordes of workers standing around for cleanup purposes. Also, railroads no longer increase tiles' production, so you don't need to railroad every tile. Religion now has a prominent part in the game. Not having a state religion is detrimental in the beginning game.

All in all, Civ4 is a worthy successor in the Civilization line of games.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just downloaded the demo for the Xbox 360 over Xbox Love for EA Sports' Fight Night: Round Three and must admit I was more impressed then I thought I would be.

First of all I don't generally like sports games. One because I don't like sports and two to me the whole purpose of video games is to do things you can't do in real life. (Slight Hijack: Which is probably why while I did enjoy the game a lot, I never got into The Sims as much as some people do. Isn't that game just basically doing all that shit you play games to avoid doing? Just what I need a game where I have to spend time doing all those things I don't enjoy doing in real life.) But I the old Knockout Kings series on the PS1 was a guilty pleasure of men.

Now a lot of things will have to wait until the final game is released next month, but the demo seemed complete and very polished so I'm betting the final version isn't going to differ much.

The graphics are spectacular. I've been somewhat disappointed with the graphics for the Xbox 360 launch titles so far, with Perfect Dark Zero looking like a slightly shinier version of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent and Quake IV frankly looking no better then Xbox version of Doom 3 but this game really shows off the system. The boxers are almost photorealistic, the animation is flawless, and the visual effects of cuts, bruises, and the distortion of the face when in punch landing is shown in slow motion is incrediable.

The controls are far superior and smoother to the older Knockout Kings series, although I do admit I didn't get much use out of EA's much hyped "Total Punch Control" with the analog stick. I usually found it easier to use the buttons.

The "flow" of the game is really what stood out for me though. The pace of boxing has always been damn near impossible to capture accuractly in a video game. I think the main flaw was that most boxing games have tried to copy fighting games and not boxing. Fight Night: Round 3 just looks and feels a lot more like boxing. The motion capture is first rate and it makes the moves flow together more naturally. The game looks and feels like you're moving from punch to punch without breaks or pauses either in the controls or animation. It sounds like a little thing but really made the game for me.

The ingame announcers are good, although you'll still catch them repeating the same phrases over and over during a match and occasionally you can tell that the game is patching together seperate sound bites to from a single phrase, but that's to be expected.

The game strives to be rather immersive. They are no health or energy meters, something which always seemed rather out of place to me in other boxing games.

The only thing to do know is wait to see how the entire game measures up. The demo only includes a 4 round middleweight exibition match between Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. in a small arena, so I'll have to wait to see how the career modes and create a boxers modes and such are going to work. I'm also hoping the line up is expanded from other EA sports boxing games. I'm curious as to why we haven't seen female boxers since 2001's version of Knockout Kings. It also seems like older boxers such as Jack Dempsey, who was my favorite boxers in the first Knockout Kings but hasn't appeared in the series since, and Rocky Marciano have been phased out and it would be nice to see them return. And as much as I like Muhammad Ali he was almost ridiculously overpowered in other EA boxing games.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just finished Jade Empire... Bioware should have just called it Knights of the Old Jade Empire and been done with it. Jade Empire and KOTOR are more similar in structure and gameplay than they are different for those who've played both.

On the other hand, it did have the distinction of prying me away from Halo 2 for a few weeks.

Prior to that, I waded slowly through Myst IV Revelation and Jedi Academy.

Project Gotham Racing is a trip when you try to play it while dizzy from a flu.

~Psihala
(*Wheeeeee...!)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still playing Civ 3.

I'm hoping to buy the Expansion set for Zoo Tycoon 2 this next paycheck since I didn't get it for Christmas.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got Soul Calibur III finally.

Y'know, I really want to give this game a perfect score. I really, really do. There's a lot of things I can overlook, like the cheap AI, but I just simply can't enjoy this game for one reason: They really screwed up Talim in this installment.

In SCII Talim was one of my top character mostly because she had loads of good evasion moves. I guess Namco thought that she was a bit too cheap and decided to change her up a little. Unfourtanely they were a little overzealous and ended up nerfing moves that didn't need to be nerfed, including her evasion moves. The result is a crappy character who's slow and weak and just overall frustrating to play with. Even the pros admit that Talim sucks in this installment.

It's really disappointing because aside from that Soul Calibur III is a solid game and if I'd imagine if I wasn't a Talim player I would've considered the game the best in the series. There's a lot of things in this game that I think Namco did right and I hope are definitely improved upon the next time.

I dunno what's next for me. I'm out of money and school is starting up for me. However, at the very best I am going to get some more older PS2 games, LoZ: Twighlight Princess and Kingdom Hearts 2 in the upcoming months.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sticky Note:
My next game will be Soul Calibur III and it's character creation mode, but from what I heard I'm gonna have to sacrifice my KH file for it if I don't go out and buy another memory card. >:\

Just don't delete any old files from the memory card and you should be fine. I haven't had any problems with having SCIII on my card so far (knock on wood).

Frankly, I like SCIII better than SCII. The playability is better, the graphics are astounding, the endings are movies instead of crappy stills, and Tales of Souls is marginally more interesting than Weapon Master Mode. Character creation can get weird, but is pretty fun in general. Just expect to spend a lot of time playing because you have to purchase a ton of stuff.

And wheee...it looks like they're bringing Shadow Hearts III to the U.S. after all! Looking forward to that one big time. Wonder which ending they're going to take this time around?

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go work on my 6th KoL Ascension. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am playing Soren Johnson's Sid Meier's Civilization IV [Wink] . Very fun and the play doesn't bog down as much in the endgame. Definitely my favorite over Brian Reynolds' Sid Meier's Civilization II. Now if I could only get my playing skill up enough to rise above Dan Quayle rank. My last game had the psychopath Montezuma on my eastern border. That lunatic was at war with me (Jolly Olde England), Rome, and Mother Russia. Montezuma was fortunate that Asoka landed on Alpha Centauri and won before I could rev up ICBM production and lay waste to the land.

I'm in the middle of Shadow of the Colossus. At colossus 12 and am taking a temporary breather. Love the mechanics of controlling Agro. It's pretty close to actual riding in terms of response. The feeling of scale and the texturing are great; I'm strongly tempted to quip "I am the big blue bug of Justice" while Wander gets thrashed around. I feel bad taking down the colossi, though. Some of them are unaggressive until I take a shot at them.

Also playing Dragon Quest VIII. Random encounters are a bit too frequent for my tastes, but manageable. The British voiceovers are well-done, and the symphonic soundtrack is pleasant...maybe a bit repetitive would be my only complaint. The AI is generally pretty good, but as in previous DQs, artificial stupidity is deliberately coded into monster behaviors. It certainly adds character, but it sometimes makes the battles a cakewalk when a candy cat decides to waste its turn fooling around rolling in the grass.

--------------------
"Of all the Daliesque tourist traps in the world, we had to walk into this one."

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We Love Katamari. [Big Grin] My fiance and I bought this last Saturday and we've been unable to go a day without playing it. [Embarrassed] We're seriously hooked. My fiance prefers the level where you roll up whole cities and then countries and continents, I prefer the more gimmicky ones like the sumo wrestler and save the pandas level.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Civilization IV. Though it snootily tells me my computer is too low-tech for it, and it cuts corners. All the little sheep, cows, and pigs vanish, but I can still see their little shadows milling around.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
And wheee...it looks like they're bringing Shadow Hearts III to the U.S. after all! Looking forward to that one big time. Wonder which ending they're going to take this time around?

This is great news! I love the series and really thought that SH3 wouldn't get a NA release. Looks like I'm going to be quite busy with the RPGs this year [Smile] .

--------------------
"Of all the Daliesque tourist traps in the world, we had to walk into this one."

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Playing Quake IV. It rates a feh

So far both of the non-military FPS's on the 360. Perfect Dark: Zero and Quake IV have been rather lackluster. Both are solid, but neither blew me away in the same way that that Halo did on the original Xbox.

Quake IV is a direct sequal to Quake II and ignores Quake I and III. You play Matthew "The exact same generic uber-soldier badass who has appeared in every single FPS since Doom" Kane, a longterm vet of humanity's war with the Strogg, a race of interstellar bad guys who use conquered species for spare parts, not totally unlike the Borg.

The game picks up only hours after the ending of Quake II. The hero of the original game has assassinated the Strogg's leader and destroyed their air defenses, allowing the humans to launch an invasion of the Strogg homeworld. As with all FPS's set in the future we don't ask why we would send in thousand of ground troops and wouldn't just nuke the planet from orbit.

The game is fairly nice looking, but honestly it really looks only slighter better then Doom 3 for the original Xbox (Both games use the same graphics engine.) That and it shares the same graphical style as Doom 3, a lot of bio-mechanics, a lot of corridors, a lot of shadow, (although not nearly as bad as Doom 3 which existed in some sort of future where apparently there is a horrible lightbulb shortage.), although Quake IV does offer a few wide open outdoor levels and isn't the constant corridor crawl that Doom 3 was. But for about 80% of the game you could throw up screenshots from both games side by side and if someone told you it was the same game you wouldn't argue with them.

The odd thing is that while it could pass for a particularly nice looking Xbox game, the frame rate chugs a lot of the time and never becomes razor smooth. When ID was able to shoehorn the technogasm that was Doom 3 onto the 733 MHz 64 Megabyte Xbox without anything lost in transition it was impressive. There is no excuse for a very similar looking and playing game to chug on a system that is more powerful then 99% of the gaming PCs on the market.

For the first two levels the game could not be more generic. You're a member of a squad of Marines who are part of the initial landing on Strogg. You, of course, start off with a pistol. I would loved to have seen the briefing on that one. "Marines you mankind's last hope against a brutal enemy. Here's a pistol and 10 rounds of ammunition. Good luck."

But soon enough you start to pick up an incredibly generic and standard compliment of FPS weaponry, the shotgun, the machine gun, the rocket launcher, the grenade launcher, the needlegun, a rail gun sniping weapon, and the required giant ball of energy gun, the Dark Matter Gun. It is so not the BFG. I mean.. the big ball of energy it shoots is a totally different color then the big ball of energy the BFG shoots. And they have a different name and everything. Clearly not the exact same damn thing.

The enemies are also totally different from the ones in Doom 3. The enemies in Doom 3 a mixture of flesh and machinery created by demons. The enemies in Quake IV are a mixture of flesh and machinery created by aliens. See? Totally different. Furthermore the zombies in Quake IV wear orange jumpsuits, where the zombies in Doom 3 wore green coveralls. See? Totally different.

Now for Quake IV's big twist. About 1/4th the way into the game, you are captured by the Strogg and assimilated.... er I mean Stroggified.

Now the cool news is the Stroggification scene is one of the coolest scenes in a FPS in a while. It's a very disturbing scene in which your character is sent down a series of conveyor belts and objected to room after room of genuinely horrible looking and sounding “augmentation” sequences in which your body is enhanced with Strogg technology. Seriously this one scene makes the game worth a rental at least.

Now near the end of the process the rest of your squad busts in and rescues you before the Strogg can erase your brain and fully turn you into one of their soldiers. So now you're fighting the Strogg as a Strogg.

Cool premise huh? Yeah it would be if they did anything with it. Yeah after that awesome scene in which you are given all these cool techno-upgrades... nothing happens. It does not effect the gameplay in one little iota. You gain no new abilities. You receive no new weapons or powers. Nothing happens. You're health has a maximum limit of 125 instead of 100. Whoopty shit. Later you have to fight another Marine who was Stroggified and he got turned into a giant walking battletank with rocket launchers for arms. Why didn't I get cool shit like that?

The only other thing is that after the Stroggification you can read and understand the Strogg language. Strogg language, which prior to the augmentation was nothing more the random snarls and barks, and Strogg signage, which before was gibberish, is now perfect English to you. Again this would really be cool if they actually did anything with it. Like I wasn't going to realize that the little button next to the elevator was the elevator call button if I couldn't read it. I mean could they of at least had one scene were your squad is ready to go open a door that has a sign above that only you can read that says “Danger: Strogg Super Duper Living Weapon Storage Room” or something?

But the strangest thing is that none of your fellow Marines so much as seem to notice that you are now a Strogg. You walk right up on Marines who seconds before were mowing down Strogg after Strogg and they don't even seem to care that you look exactly like them! Outside of some rather contrived plot points (“Kane you're the only one who can walk down this hallway because the security system will see you as a Strogg. So walk down the hallway and turn the security system off so... the rest of us can walk down the hall.”) and some incidental dialog the fact that your now the enemy seems lost on everybody. It's like if Picard had resumed command of the Enterprise in full Locutus getup and no one noticed.

There is also two vehicles you pilot, a tank and a walking mech is completely different from the one in Aliens. And by completely different I mean its the exact same thing.

The game is also short, it took me longer to beat the Doom 3 expansion pack.

There is a multiplayer mode that... well you played it. If you played Quake III Arena you've played it. The Quake IV multiplayer. And you've played a lot better version of it, despite the graphic upgrade.

One very cool feature though, the complete version of Quake II free. Very nice. Classic old school FPS action.

I mean the game isn't horrible. Like I said most FPS players can beat it in a long weekend so its definitely worth a rental at least. It's got nice, tight, responsive controls, good sound, looks good most of the time... but you've played it. There is not one point in the game where anything surprises you or makes you go “Well never seen that before.” You've seen it all before. A lot. If Quake IV was the first FPS you've ever played you'd probably enjoy it a lot more, but if you've played pretty much any FPS in the last 10 years then you've played 90% of Quake IV

--------------------

SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CIV IV, but I have to use my wifes computer to play. Needless to say, I don't get a lot of game time.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Still playing Halo 2, though I play a lot more Team Snipers and 6 vs 6 and less Rumble Pit.

--------------------

The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been playing CIV IV when I am in the mood for strategy, and I still play Battlefield 2 for good online action. I played WOW for a while and brought a few characts up to the 20s and 30s (my highest is lvl 32), but I got bored with that. I tried to pick up another MMORPG to see if I would enjoy it more (Dark Ages of Camelot), but didn't really. I really want to enjoy a good MMORPG, but they all seem to have too much grind.

I am also playing Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, which is great if you like horror/gothic.

Definitely looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls game. Although... I have a feeling my wife isn't. But she doesn't know about it yet ;-)

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Husband gave me Civ IV for Christmas, but when we tried to install it we discovered that my PC was not quite up to the task of running it. He's shopping around for deals on a new motherboard and video card and whatever else is needed for the upgrade. Meanwhile, I had uninstalled my Civ PTW and don't want to reinstall it. So mainly I'm playing FreeCell or Hearts.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I finished playing GTA:SA for the PC couple of weeks ago, and I'm playing Civ 4 now. I could win the Space Race at the Noble difficulty, but I really want Domination victory. It's very difficult to "rush" your opponents, which is great. I would rather play the entire tech tree and then send lots of powerful units.

However, by the time, I get the powerful units, I run out of time, and I have to rush to get the Space victory or rush to get my score up. I could nuke the lot of them, but I take perverse glee is watching my opponents die one by one. I just wish there was a way to make it go forever? Is there?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuervorose   E-mail Cuervorose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Lineage 2 fanatic here. I've tried WoW, but the graphics are too choppy and "cartoon-y" for my taste and I don't like that I have to pick a side before I know anyone in game. So I'll stick with my Lineage here and hold my breath while waiting for C4, which, based on the PTS, will be awesome with all the minor touches and tuneups they've made.

--------------------
You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I'll miss you.

Posts: 54 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to admit it, but I'm still playing Doom ...and I don't even have any .wad files for it.

Robbiev -one day, I'll upgrade to windows 3.1- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
However, by the time, I get the powerful units, I run out of time, and I have to rush to get the Space victory or rush to get my score up. I could nuke the lot of them, but I take perverse glee is watching my opponents die one by one. I just wish there was a way to make it go forever? Is there?

You could turn off the Space Race in game setup. I've also found that the AI makes a beeline for Alpha Centauri if the option is enabled. Usually when I'm inconveniently in a three-way war and space racing is not a viable option for me.

--------------------

Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:

You could turn off the Space Race in game setup. I've also found that the AI makes a beeline for Alpha Centauri if the option is enabled. Usually when I'm inconveniently in a three-way war and space racing is not a viable option for me.

--------------------

James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I generaly have a few games on the go at once. Installed at the moment I have:

The Sims2, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, The Movies, Neverwinter Nights, WoW (Account expired), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and FarCry.

I got the last two on that list today.

At the moment I'm mainly focusing on 'The Movies' and 'Prince of Persia,' Giving me a nice spread. But I find that I like to skip arround in what I play, although give me a good Graphic Adventure and I'll play through in all the free time I can spare. [Smile]

The Sims is something I jump in and out of and I have games running in both Neverwinternights and Rollercoaster Tycoon that I'll come back to soon.

The Movies took a while to get the hang of, and I kept begining again when everything went into a downward spiral, but I got my first blockbuster the other day and so things have kicked off there.

Meanwhile I've only just started Prince of Persia but am already enjoying it muchly. My two purchased today were an attempt to experiment with different genres. I've mainly confined myself to strategy and adventure games before, but after enjoying my jump into RPGs with Neverwinter nights I decided that perhaps a bit of experimentation was in order.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory

Oh heavens. I got The Movies at the beginning of this week. Do not buy that game if you ever want to do anything important in your life again, like study, eat, or go to the bathroom.

I admit, I was discouraged by the slow start, but once you start getting the movies and the studio itself going, it starts being fun. I'm in the 1960's now, and my technology is already in the 1990's. Oh, the funness of awards ceremonies. [Big Grin] Only part I can't get the hang of right now is the stars. @#$#^...I've got your damn entourage right here, buddy. I also wish it would give you more people to work with. I have so many extras who have crew and screenwriting experience right now.

One amusing point I've noticed: gender is not a factor in casting. I've now got the most openly tolerant studio in the world. [Wink]

--------------------

christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just bought the Endangered Species expansion for Zoo Tycoon 2. The challenges seem harder to me than in Zoo Tycoon 2 and I haven't mastered the skill of making boardwalks.

One of the savannah animals- I think it's the gemsbok- makes this rather unnerving loud-breatheing sound when you're in visitor mode.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages