snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » What are you playing now, Part Deux (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: What are you playing now, Part Deux
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, can't hurt to do a follow-up...

Gladius sucks. Seriously. It gets extremely repetitive extremely fast, and the ways they have found to add "novelty" in the game later on are poorly planned and horribly implemented (yes, "statues", I'm looking at you). The storyline is a mess and the game has crashed at least 4 times on me. I'm ready to accept that consoles crash sometimes, but I've found some terribly obvious bugs that should never have made it this far, especially since games cannot be patched as easily on consoles as they can on comps. Example: the game has a lot of trouble finding the "catchphrase" (usually "Take that!") for a Channeler after a succesful (sp?) attack. The game basically stops for 5 seconds while you hear the disk spinning madly and this has lead to 2 crashes for me so far. Also, you can kill an ennemy so much it comes back to life. If you deal a large amount of damage to a near-dead unit, its life bar depletes then starts to fill up!

I'm almost done with playing it through, and as soon as it's done, it's back to EB and I'm getting one of their used copies of 007: Everything or Nothing.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, I'll go for recently played first.

Beyond Good and Evil - Freaking amazing game. *Everyone* should play it. It's the #1 underrated game of it's time.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 - Awesome platformers, if you're into that sort of thing.

Lord of the Rings the Return of the King for GC - not mentally engaging by any means, but it's a fun little romp. A bit too hard in places though.

Just finished an oolllddd PC RPG called Castle of the Winds. A simple little game made for Windows 3.1, but still great fun.

Currently playing next.

Caste of the Winds 2 - same as Castle of the Winds, but with badder monsters, more items, and a larger dungeon.

Dink Smallwood - not sure if I'm gonna get into this one, it's far too easy to die in some places, but so far it's been fun.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy - nothing special, just play it on again off again when I'm bored.

Replaying.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time - fun 3D platformer

Shadow Hearts - very odd but interesting and fun RPG

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Advance Wars : Dual Strike

Well, the series that has been consistenly flawless since it hit the GBA reaches a new peak. There really wasn't much that could be done to expand upon the GBA titles, gameplay-wise, but they've done it anyway : two CO's, two battlefields, a whole new way of playing the game.

The new real-time Combat mode is a letdown, though- fun for five minutes, but then you realise that you just can't make an action game out of a grid-based TBS game. Another miss is the timer in some of the Campaign missions; it really doesn't fit the game, and adds an unneccesary frustration to the game.

Stylus control is difficult to judge. On the one hand, it's cool to play the game by just tapping the screen - but it's also slower and less precise then the buttons. Something to play with once in a while, but not indispensable.

So, is this new addition to the series a failure ? Hell no. It's just as addictive, perfectly-balanced and challenging as before. And with hundreds of maps and goodies to unlock, a level editor, and (for those who are into it) a wireless single-card multiplayer mode, it's now the best game for the DS I've played so far.

*****/*****

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thoran
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished F.E.A.R. and I have mixed feelings about this game. The AI of the enemy soldiers was for the most part superb and resulted in some very interesting fire fights.

The story of the game was ok, but I was not happy with the presentation and the way I, as the player, was getting involved into it. To much could be guessed from the start and the ending with its final revelations was to shallow and it felt stale and unfinished.

Another thing I was not to fond of was the scenery. The graphic itself was very good and took the last ounce of power from my pc to play smoothly, but the staging of the different levels was boring and repetitive. To many rundown rooms or offices or high-tech halls, without any major eye candy.

And is it just me who is dreading to play a game where I have a flashlight because it seems that this little gadget is the perfect excuse to make dark rooms and corners even in places like an office building?

F.E.A.R is a good shooter, but I expected a lot more from the single player campaign and its story, based on what was seen in the intro movie.

Thoran "who was born here too" out

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Thoran, thanks for the info on F.E.A.R.. I've been debating that one, but if the story doesn't hold up then I guess I'll wait until the price comes down.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Presently, I'm playing Fable: The Lost Chapters ... or trying to muddle through it, I guess. A mediocre port of a mediocre game. I'm highly disappointed, more so in light of the hype it's received.

Recently finished Dungeon Siege 2. Pretty much more of the same from the first one, but entertaining enough. Plus, you gotta love the dynamic loading - one loading screen at the start and that's it.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting into Shatterd Union, a hex based turn based strategy game for the Xbox.

First of all hex based war games are a lost art and to see one on the X-box is almost a dream come true for me. Imagine a game that's about 50% Panzer General, about 25% Advance War and about 25% Real War.

The game takes place about 15 years in the future. The closest and most highly contested election in US history has taken place and the civil unrest is at an all time high. At the inarguration a low yield nuclear weapon is set off in DC, killing both Presidential Candidates, and most of Congress and the Supreme Court, leaving the chain of succession in question.

Seeing a potential internationl crisis the European Union deployes peacekeepers to the decimated area around Washington DC and declares the area under UN rule.

Faced with a growing internal unrest California, along with Nevada, Arizona, and Utah secede from the US and form the California Commonwealth. Days later Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri reform the Republic of Texas. Sensing a shift away from Federal to States power New England declares itself the New England Alliance, The Southeast states reform the Confederacy, the Pacific Northwest forms Pacifica and the American Heartland forms the Great Plains Federation.

Soon the 7 Factions are locked in a new Civil War.

To make matters worst the cash starved Russian see a potential cold mine in supplying weaponry and supplies to the highest bidder.

Now this kind of game isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love them. Strategy games, even the most fast based RTSs, are still very slow and methodical compared to fighting games or FPSs. And turn based Hex games are the slowest of them all. This isn't a game you can just pick up and go. There is a decent learning curve if you've never played a wargame of this style before. And even the shortest of skirmishes takes 30-45 minutes to play. And the idea of making a move, then sitting there while your enemies moves, repeat, repeat just doesn't appeal to some people.

The gameplay has some neat new takes on the classic turn based wargame idea. One welcome features is the ability of indirect fire units to move and attack in the same turn. And even direct fire units can actually fire on units from 2 or 3 hexes away, elimating the need to basically have units right on top of each other to fight. There is a vast number of units, which each of the 7 different Federations have a slightly different mix of American, European, and Russian units to use in combat.

A few minor quibbles. First of all there is no naval combat of any kind. You can't even call in carrier airstrikes or cruise missles as a non playable unit or special power. Also there is no APC unit, so you have to physically march your infantry across the map. In practically every battle so far the game was all but won or lost before I can get my infantry across the board. Also, and this is no fault of the game because they did the best job they could, but console controllers just don't lend themselves to these kinds of games very well. Using a thumbstick like a mouse just doesn't work.

Still its very refreshing to see this kind of game make a comeback, and on a console no less.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And in direct counter to Shattered Union I am also playing Serious Sam II two games which almost literally could not be further apart in style, gameplay, or pace.

Serious Sam was a rather suprising hit a few years ago. A Crotian Software compnay, Croteam, designed a utterly simplisitc FPS to show off their new graphics engine, the Serious Engine.

Now while not as pretty as the Halo, Unreal, Quake III, or Doom 3 engines the Serious Engines has the ability to draw huge outdoor levels, maintaing a long look distance, and render huge numbers of enemies on the screen at one time. Visually it's almost the polar opposite of Doom 3. Doom 3 had heavy shadows, cramped interiors, and at most 4 monsters on screen at one time. Serious Sam has huge outdoor levels, bright lights, and massive numbers of enemies onscreen at once.

The first Serious Sam was a straight forward game. And by straight forward I mean it managed to make Doom 3 look cerebral. Hell it managed to make Doom 1 look cerebral. The entire game almost literally consisted of you walking into either a room, field or other area, having hundreds upon hundreds of enemies come after you in wave after wave and you mowing them down with the heaviest weapon you had. You would do this for ten minutes or so, then a door would open and you would go to the next room and start the process over again. The enemies had no real A.I to speak off, they either ran at you full speed, or stood in one place and shot you for a few moments, then would strafe in a random direction, stop, and shot you again.

Serious Sam still follows this style of gameplay, even by FPS standards its a mindless game, but the pace of the action is just off the charts. At almost no point in the game does the action ever let up.

The game attempts to have a plot and spends a lot of that plot in self referencing humor that breaks the 4th wall. There is also a lot of references to other FPSs game, with Duke Nukem: Forever taking a lot of the flack.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
albuqwirkymom
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for albuqwirkymom   E-mail albuqwirkymom       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the coolest thing, but I'm playing runescape. Its about my speed.

--------------------
I never know how much of what I say is true. - Bette Middler

Posts: 84 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw Shattered Union and wondered if it was any good...might have to pick up the PC version. I love strategy games. Just got done with Ground Control II, and Civilization IV arrived in the mail last Friday! [Smile]

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
Beyond Good and Evil - Freaking amazing game. *Everyone* should play it. It's the #1 underrated game of it's time.

I'm still upset this game didn't get the sales numbers it deserved. We'll probably never get a sequel. If only it had had better advertising/support from the publisher and hadn't sounded like a Nietzsche game.
quote:
Shadow Hearts - very odd but interesting and fun RPG
Heh...if it's the first SH, that's a bit of an understatement. The monster design was quite...unique in a morbidly creepy sort of way. The bosses were hard, too, sometimes brutally so...either that or my party was underpowered. Still can't believe I sunk over 2 hours into nickel-and-diming the end-boss into submission. Got whittled down to razor-thin margins on supplies and MP/HP/sanity and was within a hairsbreadth of being wiped out on the next turn when Margarete nailed him with a plain-old gunshot past 2 in the morning [Smile] . I checked GameFaqs afterwards and despite my thorough exploration, I still missed a ton of stuff, including several power-ups along the way (probably wouldn't have nailed the 10-ring challenge, anyways).

Great review of Shattered Union, Joe. I was vaguely aware of this game but hadn't been paying much attention to it. I rolled over to the Qt3 forums and they seem to like it as well. Just what I need...another game to play [Wink] .

Am playing Call of Cthulhu and Civ4. Haven't played a whole lot of either, but my overall reaction is generally positive. I was a little concerned about possible bugs in Civ due to the pushed-forward release date, but it runs smoothly and looks fantastic. It seems to have the Civ3 spamming cities issue under control, and I've yet to see enemy units traipsing through my territory. Those two annoyances seem to be nipped in the bud--particularly the borders issue; I used to seethe at having to repeatedly tell Gandhi(!!) to stay the hell away from my cities in Civ3. This may very well be my favorite incarnation of Civ yet. I'm looking forward to getting more play this weekend and seeing how the end-game plays out. Soren Johnson's copious developer notes at the end of the manual are also a good read.[/old school]

Cthulhu is decent considering how long it's been in development. The two reviews I've seen so far have been 4/10 and 8/10 and I'm currently tilting towards this being closer to an 8. Graphics are nothing stellar with the aging engine, but they fit the atmosphere nicely. Sanity effects are subtle and well-done...the visual blurring is a nice touch even if I did briefly wonder if I needed a new lens prescription. Based on my % through (about 10), the game seems like it'll take about 15-20 hours to play through. Maybe a bit more with me since I tend to poke around a lot. The overall feel so far is that it's more like an adventure game than an FPS. The game controls fine, but I'd still feel a bit more comfortable with the standard mouse/WASD. There are some stealth aspects to the game, but they're not IMO well-implemented and feel a bit tacked-on. This is especially apparent if you've played Thief (or any other game that is tailored to stealth gameplay).

--------------------
"Of all the Daliesque tourist traps in the world, we had to walk into this one."

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaeger
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaeger   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jaeger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Morrowind. I think we've been playing for around 5 months now. Just finished the main game and starting on the add-ons. I can't see this ever ending, at least until Oblivion comes out.

Is Cthulhu similar in style to the Elder Scrolls series? We were considering it, and your comments about it being more like an adventure game than a FPS makes it sound more interesting [Smile]

- Jaeger

Posts: 1158 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bethesda is only Cthulhu's publisher. The developer is British-based Headfirst. So far, it seems pretty linear and isn't freeform like the TES series. Somebody on another forum compared it to the old game The Realms of the Haunting, and that seems to be on the mark IMO. I forgot that there are save points, which are sparsely located. There's no technical need for them, so I have to assume that this was a deliberate design decision to heighten tension. Personally, I'd rather they were taken out and have an Iron Man option put in instead. So far, the save point issue is a minor nitpick and not a gamebreaker.

I think Oblivion has finally been delayed to 2006, but haven't read any official confirmation. Not too surprising, really, since a 2005 release always seemed way too early to for such an ambitious game. I'll have Gothic 2 to keep me occupied in the meantime (Gold edition release date was pushed to next week, which is the only reason I don't have it now...and at $20 it's amazingly cheap for a top-notch RPG). Or maybe I can apply that Speed mod onto Wizardy 8 and actually finish the game. Great, great game, but the constant 30 minute battles (sometimes longer!) were extraordinarily tiring.

--------------------
"Of all the Daliesque tourist traps in the world, we had to walk into this one."

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaeger
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaeger   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jaeger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for clarifying on Cthulhu - I think we'll give that a miss.

I'll take a look at Gothic 2. We moved to Morrowind because quite a few people were mentioning it as a good move for the Wizardry-lovers, and it was exactly what we were looking for. Now we need something to keep us going until Oblivion.

After Wizardry 8, we're used to waiting [Smile]

- Jaeger

Posts: 1158 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently got Soul Calibur II [late I know] and man it's fun. It's a bit of a button masher, but considering my skill level with video games in general, that's a good thing. However, Taki's default costume is offensive to my eyes during battle, and it's not because it's unhumanely skintight.

You know what's strange though? Before I got the game, I liked the design of Talim while I was looking at screenshots and artwork. So when I got the game, it came to no surprise to me that I would like playing as her since she utilizes close-combat skills. The same thing happened with Super Smash Brothers Melee with the Ice Climbers. I wonder if the same thing will happen with I-no if by some chance I happen to get Guilty Gear XX.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Notebookworm:
I recently got Soul Calibur II [late I know] and man it's fun. It's a bit of a button masher, but considering my skill level with video games in general, that's a good thing. However, Taki's default costume is offensive to my eyes during battle, and it's not because it's unhumanely skintight.

You know what's strange though? Before I got the game, I liked the design of Talim while I was looking at screenshots and artwork. So when I got the game, it came to no surprise to me that I would like playing as her since she utilizes close-combat skills. The same thing happened with Super Smash Brothers Melee with the Ice Climbers. I wonder if the same thing will happen with I-no if by some chance I happen to get Guilty Gear XX.

That's funny - my brother and my brother-in-law have both recently gotten into Soul Calibur II as well (they both had seen it a long time ago because my husband and I have had it since it came out, but they only just now got into it themselves). I haven't played Soul Calibur III yet, although I hear it's hard.

I love I-No, btw -- I particularly like her Instant Kill move, "Last Will and Testament". Fun to watch [Razz]

Back on topic, my copy of Castlevania: Curse of Darkness won't be in until tomorrow [Mad] In the meantime, though, I've been playing DDR Extreme 2 and, for my classic game fix, Zelda II: Adventure of Link.

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
slow_and_lazy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow_and_lazy   E-mail slow_and_lazy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My time is divided between "good old" Baldur's gate 2 + ToB, Mahjongg Master 4 and Brigade E5, game that murdered JA for me and finaly got it off my hard drive.
I tried, i honestly did, to play Dungeon Siege 2 and Doom 3 + RoE, but found them to boring and unimaginative . In addition DS 2 is way to easy.

--------------------
V.I.K.I. : My logic is flawless.
Sonny : Yes, but it just seems too heartless.

Posts: 57 | From: Estonia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Finished Half Life 2 on the XBox.

Well first of all if you've played the PC version, you've played the Xbox version. Nothing was added to the Xbox version of the game. That's not a bad thing at all as the PC version was excellent, but if you've already played the PC version, there is nothing new for you here.

The game looks magnificent on the Xbox considering the level of PC it took to run Half Life 2. The graphics are good and sharp, roughly equivalent to playing the PC version on medium texture. Considering that the Xbox only sports a 733mhz processor, 64 megabytes of of ram, and a slightly modified 64 megabyte GeoForce3 video card, I think the results are fairly impressive.

Now the downside. The very fact that Valve squeezed one of the most technologically impressive FPSs of all time onto a 4 year old console deserves a shout out for technical achievement, and I think it speaks very strongly for the Xbox that it can handle Half Life 2 and Doom 3 when it costs less then the video card it would take to run one of those games in a PC. However you can tell that the Xbox is struggling and having its hardware pushed to the limits by this game. Loading times are noticeable. Now throughout 90% of the game when you have to fight from room to room its no big deal, but during certain more rapidly paced parts of the game, mostly during the Airboat and Dune Buggy portions of the game where you're moving rapidly from area to area it becomes much more noticeable. It never gets to the point where it ruins the game, but it did seem like every 30 seconds of gameplay was interrupted by 10 seconds of loading time some of the time. There is also several points where the frame rate takes a big hit.

But you don't have to deal with Valve's Steam online registration process, something I was a little uncomfortable with on the PC version.

Part of me almost wishes they had simply made Half Life 2 a launch title for the Xbox 360, as given the specs of that monster it could run Half Life 2 like greased lightning, but I can understand Microsoft not wanting to make one of the launch titles for its new super system a year old PC game.

I like the immersive quality of the game. I like the fact that the game never shifts from Gordon Freeman's point of view. Cut scenes and cinematic are great story telling techniques and many games use them to great effect, but this is a nice technique as well. I also like Gordon Freeman. It's nice to have an action hero who's not a totally generic cookie cutter super soldier bad-ass. You have to love an action hero who's a MIT science geek with BC glasses and a bad art student goatee.

Most of the weapons are frightfully generic but the Gravity Gun is easily the neatest feature to be put into a FPS in some time. Several times throughout the game I found myself taking a break from the game play to simply play around just picking up and slinging objects with the Gravity Gun. Oddly I played Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil before I played Half Life 2, but don't remember having this much fun with Doom 3's blatant knockout of the Gravity Gun, the Grabber, probably because of Doom 3's less impressive physics engine. The Antlion bait is also interesting.

Another mild disappointment is the total lack of any multiplayer. Counter Strike: Source would have been a blast on Xbox live. Co-op play on the single player campaign, such as was added to the Xbox version of Doom 3 would have been nice as well. Imagine the fun of one person playing as Freeman and another playing as Barney or Alyx?

A few of the puzzles were convoluted and seemed forced, and the Airboat sequences dragged on way too long, with the above mentioned loading times making it seem even worse. Frankly they could of just cut out the part of the game between where you get the speedboat and the point where you get the guns installed on it and lost nothing story or gameplay wise as far as I'm concerned. It's a first person shooter, so let me shot! I don't play first person shooter's to dodge things, I play them to shot things!

The control surfaces for the vehicles weren't as solid as the control for other FPSs games that have incorporated vehicles, such as Halo 2, but they weren't bad either.

I guess it sounds like I didn't like the game but I really did. Mostly the game is just a whole shit load of fun. The action is intense, the story is engaging and the physics engine adds a new dimension to the FPS.

--------------------

Joe Bentley

Also Valve take a page from the ID guys, would it have killed you to thrown in Half Life 1 and the expansion packs in as a extra feature, much as ID added Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom to the Doom 3 game? I think playing through Half Life or Half Life: Blue shift on the Xbox would of been fun.

--------------------

KentuckyGhostHunter
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyGhostHunter   E-mail KentuckyGhostHunter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I play Day of Defeat/DoD:Source from Valve

Aside from that I'm always playing a Final Fantasy game or two....

I am knee deep in We Love Katamari (the Katamari Damacy sequal..I highly reccomend both games)

I'm also beginning work with my mod team (yes...I do mods) on a persistant world mod for Neverwinter Nights 2. We're doing basic world design at the moment and that's taking up most of my gaming time.

--------------------
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought, which they avoid."
--Kierkegaard

Posts: 303 | From: Ashland, KY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just started on Need For Speed : Most Wanted (after finding a €50 coupon that was two days away from expiring [Embarrassed] ). So far, so good; graphics are fine, the handling feels a lot like NFS:HP2 but heavier, and there's a sizeable city to drive in.

BUT.

The music is horrible. It's the same sort of ricer crap that made NFS:U almost unbearable. And while Josie Maran makes the FMV's...visually appealing, the story is one giant cliché.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once in a while I'll pop online and play some Halo 2. The new Team Actionsack multiplayer option has provided some really nifty variations on the games, but after a while the novelty of the games pales as you are confronted with more and more jerks, racists, and cheaters.

That's when I pop in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I won the game ages ago, but now I'm playing through and trying to get 100% completion. Last night I finally finished spraying all the Tags (I started without the help of a map, but once I got to the halfway mark or so I had to give in and get some help).

I think for Christmas I'm getting a copy of Burnout 3, which I actually prefer to the new game. That should keep me busy for a while, and my wife LOVES to play the Crash mode.

Mack da "game on" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Still trying to finish TimeSplitters 2 on Hard mode. Damn. I finally completed the Chicago level, but Notre-Dame has me stumped. I made it as far as the 30 feet tall demon, but how in hell am I supposed to kill a missile-shooting demon while zombies and gun-totting dark arts adepts materialize every few seconds?! Jacques de la Morte, I hate you.

A friend bought Digimon World 4, and it's quite fun. It's horrible ratings are due to two things: the menu navigation (which could be better, I must admit) and the incredibly frustrating start of the game. You start with no armor and as such, are incredibly weak. We are both seasonned gamers and have seen our share of difficult spots, but this one took the cake. It was downright impossible to survive more than 5 minutes. That is, until we lucked out and got armor drops. From then on, the game got fun as we could sustain some damage and had the time needed to heal ourselves when need be. It's a shame the beginning is so difficult it would discourage pretty much anybody from hanging in until things get better.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Draos
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Draos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently I am playing both Civ3 and Black and White 2. I really want to like these games, but I don't which makes me really sad. Either my gaming desires have changed a lot or the games sucks it is a lose/lose for me.

I also play WoW lvl 22 Night Elf Druid, but in all honesty it is running out of steam I just don't like the community that much.

I have also play UO on free server. but since I have been play one form or any other of UO since beta it just lost something for me I had done everything and just didn't have any left to do. It became a chores signing on and doing stuff. So I am planning to uninstall this weekend.

Finally I know I am getting Guild Wars for Chirstmas and having played it off and on with a friends account I know it will be sucking up a lot of my game time shortly.

Posts: 30 | From: Brigham City, Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of sounding redundant, Halo 2, still.

Though I am also playing Halo 0 and I've poked at WOW a couple of times.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
What a shock [lol]

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:
quote:
What a shock [lol]
Yeah, isn't it though. While the dust grows thick on the PS/2, Gamecube and a whole lot of other games...

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
PS/2
[nitpick mode]

PS/2 is the hardware connector, PS2 is the console

[/nitpick mode]

And I know all too well that there are some games with almost infinite mileage. I played GoldenEye for nearly four years straight...

--------------------

PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I started up playing Neverwinter Nights again. I had originally played through as a Ranger, so now I am re-playing as a wizard. It makes things much more challenging and interesting.

Hopefully for Christmas I will be upgrading my PC with a Radeon X1800 and whatever else it will take to make that thing work with my system (probably a new motherboard and everything!), and at that time I will be re-playing HL 2 with the graphics turned all the way up. I'll also probably pick up Battlefield 2. Maybe. I really prefer a more science fictiony FPS.

I saw that Neverwinter Nights 2 is in production, so I am definitely lookig forward to that. In a nod to NWN, I am hoping to pick up Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 for Christmas. As much as I love RPGs and D&D, it's a crime that I have never played those.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently playing Fatal Frame III (already beat it, but trying to unlock as much as possible). I *love* the game (I'm sure I've mentioned before that Fatal Frame/Project Zero is my favorite game series [Big Grin] However, because of the limits on film on the harder levels, I think it's quite a bit more of a challenge than the previous two (and I went through Fatal Mode on the first game). But it's a thrill to play as Miku again.

I'm also working on finishing We Love Katamari and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, as well as unlocking all of the characters in Rumble Roses. And I've been making a whole bunch of custom characters in Soul Calibur 3 (I love custom character creation...)

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Watch Your Kidneys
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watch Your Kidneys   E-mail Watch Your Kidneys   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently started playing EQ1 again. Does anyone else still play that?
Posts: 163 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on Gamecube. Awesome strategy RPG. Of course, I'm a huge fan of the series anyway.

I've also been playing Soul Calibur 3 lately. I particularly like the custom character creation.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on Gamecube. Awesome strategy RPG. Of course, I'm a huge fan of the series anyway.

I've also been playing Soul Calibur 3 lately. I particularly like the custom character creation.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Addendum : My POS Fiat Punto can now do 264 KPH on a straight. I usually hate this tuning crap, but slowly turning a city hatchback into a racing monster does have it's appeal.

I'm still not touching decals with a ten foot pole, though. Black metallic paint is "bling" enough for me [Big Grin]

And the car chases - oh the car chases ! It's like the beautiful offspring of NFS:HP2's high-speed chases and GTA:VC's unorthodox evasive techniques. Plus, chases use a more generic "pursuit" music theme, making them all the more thrilling. I'm liking this game more the longer I play it.

****°/*****

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple months ago I replayed Jak & Daxter from start to finish, then I played through Jak II and actually completed it this time. I got it for my birthday two years ago and hit a bit of a wall and still hadn't finished it when I was given Jak 3 for my birthday last year. I didn't finish Jak 3, either, but got about 70% through. I finished Jak II a couple weeks ago and last week started a new game of Jak 3 (I'm 55% through after about 7 hours of gameplay).

Starting next week I'll be starting Sims 2 for the Mac, which I just purchased and is being shipped to the house where I'll be spending Christmas.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages