snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » TV Land lists the 100 greatest TV catchphrases (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TV Land lists the 100 greatest TV catchphrases
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:

"I pity the fool!" - The A-Team

That's actually from Rocky III, where Mr T, in his role as Clubber Lang, says: No, I don't hate Balboa. I pity the fool.

BA Baracus never actually said the line.

My mistake. I could have sworn I heard it once on A-Team.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." is a TV catch-phrase? I thought it was part of a political speech. A soundbite, if you will.

That was my first reaction too. Somehow, a line from an inaugural address seems a little out of place.
Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keokuk:
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." is a TV catch-phrase? I thought it was part of a political speech. A soundbite, if you will.

That was my first reaction too. Somehow, a line from an inaugural address seems a little out of place.
It must have been used on tv or the radio frequently enough that my mom said I used to repeat it aloud even though I wasn't more than 3 or 4 years old at the time (I don't have a clear memory of it, just a family story).

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover   Author's Homepage   E-mail Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What happened to Dobie Gillis??

"I've gotta kill that boy, I just gotta." - Dobie's father, in just about every episode.

Moving on to the 70's, why isn't Archie Bunker's, "Get outta my chair!" on the list???

Heroic Muse

--------------------
Elsie Worthing and the Hydra's Curse
Can one small girl overcome the darkness within to thrive at Hogwarts?
http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=57042
In memory of David Newton (1962-2006)

Posts: 689 | From: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And if we're including non-American stuff...

I've got a cunning plan...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
I found this amusing. From the article:

quote:

-"Hey hey hey!" (Dwayne Nelson, "What's Happening!!")

-"Hey hey hey!" (Fat Albert, "Fat Albert")

Anyone not familiar with those shows may not realize that those are two completely different "Hey hey hey!"s.

Nick

I did a double take when I saw both, then of course had to repeat them in character. My boss looked at me like I had grown another head, but he knew exactly what I was talking about.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the world of sports entertainment:

"Whatcha gonna do when the arms of Hulkamania run wild on you?"

"And that's the bottom line, cuz Stone Cold said so!"

"If you smellllllllll .... what the Rock is cooking!"

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
quote:

"I pity the fool!" - The A-Team

That's actually from Rocky III, where Mr T, in his role as Clubber Lang, says: No, I don't hate Balboa. I pity the fool.

BA Baracus never actually said the line.

My mistake. I could have sworn I heard it once on A-Team.
According to IMDB BA does say "I pity the fool who goes out tryin' a' take over da world, then runs home cryin' to his momma!" I know, though, that IMDB isn't the most definitive of sources!

I'd be very surprised to learn he never said "I pity the fool" on The A Team as like you I was sure I'd heard him say it, and more than once at that. And I've never seen any Rocky movies. Perhaps what we are remembering are all the people who imitated Mr T over the years?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:

"You have... no chance in Hell!"

"The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be."

"Wassupwitdat?"

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aureal
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aureal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Your mission, should you decide to accept it..."

"This tape will self-destruct in five seconds."

Does nobody else like Mission: Impossible? [Frown]

Posts: 698 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Bite my shiney metal ass!" (Bender - Futurama)

"Exxxxxcellent !" (Mr Burns - The Simpsons)

"Lock it in, Eddie" (every contestant - Who wants to be a millionaire)

"Yeah, but No, but Yeah" (Vicki Pollard - Little Britain)

"I want that one" (Andy - Little Britain)

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:

I'd be very surprised to learn he never said "I pity the fool" on The A Team as like you I was sure I'd heard him say it, and more than once at that. And I've never seen any Rocky movies. Perhaps what we are remembering are all the people who imitated Mr T over the years?

I remember BA calling people "fool" all the time, but I don't remember ever actually hearing him say "I pity the fool." I did hear other people say that in his voice-style and I seem to recall wondering where they got that phrase, since he never actually used it. Like you, I've never seen the Rocky movies. You learn something new every day here!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one quote from the Simpsons? Aye Carumba!

And what about "Go, go, Gadget arms!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:

"Yeah, but No, but Yeah" (Vicki Pollard - Little Britain)

"I want that one" (Andy - Little Britain)

I'll have another Bacardi and Coke, thanks, Myfanwy.

Pi "not the only gay in the village" ka

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's up, Doc, no Looney Tunes? And they would have gotten away with no Scooby quotes, too... if it weren't for those meddling kids. So much more seems missing: Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, the Muppet Show, Monty Python ...
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque"
"Eh, what's up Doc?"
"Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits"
"I am Elmer J. Fudd. Millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht"
"I am Wile E. Coyote. Super Genious"
"Beep! Beep!"
"Arriba! Arriba! Ándale! Ándale!"
"That's All, folks!"
"Ralph? Ralph Phillips!"
"Thufferin' Thuccotash!"
"I tawt I taw a puty tat!"
"That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son"
"You're dithpicible"

Wolf "I learned more about opera from watching Bugs Bunny than I should have" 333

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." from Sledge Hammer immediately springs to mind as a glaring omission, at least to me.

I noted a few others, but other snopesters have beat me to them ("I have a cunning plan," "Sorry about that, chief!")

The whole debate over "does a single usage make a catch phrase?" is a curious one. Some shows are notable for the stellar dialogue, and for their incredible quotability. Pretty much every episode of Buffy had some terrific zinger (or a dozen) yet I can't think of a single expression that a character adopted as a catchphrase.

Max "The subtext is rapidly becoming...text." Renn

Edited to correct a typo (cuning plan? sigh...)

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover:

"I've gotta kill that boy, I just gotta." - Dobie's father, in just about every episode.

Which leads us to Hank Hill's "That boy's not right."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover:

Which leads us to Hank Hill's "That boy's not right."
Reminds me of Jed Clampett: "Someday I gotta have a long talk with that boy."

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"This is a job for Superman!"

"Look! Up in the sky. It's a bird ..."

"There's no need to fear. Underdog is here!"

"AaaaAAAaaaAAAAAAaaaaaa!" (umm... that's supposed to be a Tarzan yell.)

"Sherman, set the Way-Back Machine for..." (Peabody)

"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!" (Bullwinkle)

"Niagara Falls! Slowly I turn..." (Vaudeville routine repeated by many, including the Three Stooges)

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:

In a similar vein, a few classics from Naitch:

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

"Diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair"

"I'm a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun."

And, of course:

"Wooooooooo!"

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More:

"What are we going to do tomorrow night, Brain?"
and/or
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!" (Pinky and The Brain)

"Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story 'The Tale of..." (Are You Afraid of the Dark.... not sure how well known this show is outside of Canada though.)

"You're Fired!" (could be WWE or The Apprentice)

--------------------

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoFo:
More:

"What are we going to do tomorrow night, Brain?"
and/or
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!" (Pinky and The Brain)

How funny you should mention that. I just got the first volume on DVD as a birthday present this morning.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

"Lucy, you've got some 'splaining to do!"

"Lucy I'm home!"

"Ricky, let me be in the show!"

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
"Sherman, set the Way-Back Machine for..." (Peabody)

"Quiet, you!"

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Wiki:

quote:
A catch phrase is a phrase or expression that is spontaneously popularized after a critical amount of widespread repeated usage in everyday conversation (i.e., it "catches" on).....A catch phrase’s defining features are its sudden, spontaneous, and widespread public reception, and its adopted use by the public, often to its own amusement.
Therefore, a catchphrase may include a "one-off" line in a TV show or movie.

Perhaps one of the biggest catchphrases in Australia in recent years would be : " Five Cougars, thanks ".

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"I would have gotten away with it, too, if not for you meddling kids!"

"He could go all the way!"

"And that's Good Eats."

"Oh boy." (Sam from Quantum Leap, of course.)

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I do think there are many ommissions on the list, and a few that don't or don't yet belong there, I counted and I have used 57 of the quotations on the list multiple times. That means either that I'm representative of the people who came up with the list, or I am a sad little person.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who read "Elizabeth, I'm coming!" in a naughty way?

I love that they included "I'm Rick James, bitch!

and "Time to make the donuts." I miss those old Dunkin Donuts ads. Whatever happened to that guy? When I was a kid, I used to think that he was the actual owner of Dunkin.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course they left out my favorite: "One of these days Laura, I'm gonna punch you in the face!"

And I think Peter Griffin's "Holy Crap!" is much funnier than the one from Everybody Loves Raymond.

And sorry, but the Dunkin Donuts guy is making donuts for God now.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

From advertising:

"Ring around the collar!"

"Please don't squeeze the Charmin."

"Ancient Chinese secret."

From sports announcers:

"Gooooooooooooooooooooooaaaalllllll!!!"

"Holy cow!" popularized by Phil Rizutto.

"It might me... It could be... It is!" was a stock catch catchphrase of Harry Caray.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
That means either that I'm representative of the people who came up with the list, or I am a sad little person.

Don't be so hard on yourself, pinqy.

I'm sure you're not little. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo

quote:
Originally posted by JoFo:
More:

(snip)

"You're Fired!" (could be WWE or The Apprentice)

It turns out that this is on the list after all, I missed it. You guys could've corrected me, you know. [Razz]

Anyways, following Pinqy's lead, I counted the lines that I've used. There are 19 that I can specifically remember using. If we add in lines that I kind of remember parodying/half saying, then it goes up to 25-30.

ETA: That would be 'parodying', not 'paradying'.

--------------------

Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought one candy commercial was a little bit risque: "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie, Pop?"

But then I found I was misunderstanding the line.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages