snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » What song topped the charts the day you were born? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What song topped the charts the day you were born?
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
U.S. - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens

That's always been one of those love/hate songs for me. I'm sure the original African version is much better than the American pop versions.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since it was fun, I figured I'd go back for my "theme songs"...

US - I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
UK - No Limit - 2 Unlimited

I liked the first one (although it got old with how much they played it), and never heard of the second.

And T'Pau? Whoah, they actually had a second song out? [Wink]

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
18th Birthday:

US- Black or White by Michael Jackson (Dear God No!!)

UK: Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me by George Michael & Elton John

Just for fun, I checked my kids birthdays:

DS in the US: I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy & Faith Evans

DS in the UK: same

DD in the US: Bent by Matchbox20

DD in the UK: Life is a Rollercoaster by Ronan Keating.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Birthday, both countries: I Will Survive

18th:
Wannabe in the U.S, Who Do You Think You Are in the U.K. Both by the Spice Girls.

No wonder I embraced the music of the Beatles at the tender age of eight.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sigh) I thought it was gonna be "Maybelline" or "Rock Around the Clock", but instead, the number one song in the country on the day I was born was..."Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing" by The Four Aces.

Geeeeeez.

ETA - in the U.K. the number one hit was "Hernando's Hideaway" by The Johnson Brothers, which is kinda retro-cool.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderland By Night - Bert Kaempfert

I'm pretty sure that we've all played this game before but I haven't the foggiest notion how to check. I can remember getting a damn earworm after seeing who was on the charts on my day of birth.

"Bert Kaempfert's got the mad hits
You try to match wits, you try to hold me but I bust through
Gonna make a break and take a fake
I'd like a stinkin achin shake
I like vanilla, it's the finest of the flavours
Gotta see the show, cause then you'll know
The vertigo is gonna grow
Cause it's so dangerous,
you'll have to sign a waiver"

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US - Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters

UK - Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison

Pretty good combination, I suppose.

MacLloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NorthernLite:
I'm pretty sure that we've all played this game before but I haven't the foggiest notion how to check.

It was chowed back on page one:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Song-a-chow

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sweetokiegirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetokiegirl   E-mail sweetokiegirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Evil_eyes, my songs are the same as yours!
Posts: 20 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US: Teen Angel, by Mark Dinning

UK: Why, by Anthony Newley

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UK: Into The Groove - Madonna
US: Shout - Tears For Fears

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UK - School's Out, by Alice Cooper. That's a good one. And I was born during the summer holidays.

US - Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl), by Looking Glass. Never heard of it, but I do like brandy.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US: None. They evidently hadn't invented music in the US when I was born.

UK: The Homing Waltz - Vera Lynn and Alma Cogan. I've heard of Vera Lynn from her recording at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
USA: I Wanna Hold Your Hand (Beatles); no surprise here considering my birthday is at the end of January.
UK: Needles and Pins (Searchers)

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's mine:

16th March 1978

UK: Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush

US: Night Fever - Bee Gees (The date is the 18th for this but I assume it's a Week ending date.)

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank goodness for the old fogies here that was born before music, because some of the youngsters are making me feel old! [Smile] It seems wierd to hear people say they haven't heard some songs that I remember when they came out.

My birthday: US: It's Too Late by Carol King. I've heard of her, but not the song. I don't think I'm missing anything.

UK: Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Middle Of The Road
OK. That just scares me.

Jumping ahead 18 years:
US: I'll Be Loving You Forever - New Kids On The Block
HA! I've probably heard it, but I don't remember it & don't care to.
UK: Back To Life (How Ever Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul featuring Caron Wheeler
Can't say I've heard that one either.

I've heard a lot of the songs that everyone has listed but I'm 0/4 on mine.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US-Tammy by Debbie Reynolds
UK-All Shook Up by Elvis

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
foglifter
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foglifter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UK - The Reflex by Duran Duran
US - Let’s Hear It For The Boy by Deniece Williams

Posts: 88 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US: Love Letters in the Sand by Pat Boone.
UK: Yes Tonight Josephine by Johnnie Ray.

Please, please shoot me now. Don't miss. *whimper*

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here, Pam, you can borrey my cane.....

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You two are mere children.

Mine isn't listed on that site, but it was "Only Forever" by Bing Crosby. Jay sent me that info when we were doing this in another thread.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
Here, Pam, you can borrey my cane.....

RangerDog, you're a real gentleman. Now where did I put my rheumatiz pills...

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I joked with Signora that when I was born, the #1 hit was Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 6. When she was born, it was Brandenburg Concerto No. 1.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UK- Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Never actually heard the song

US- The Reflex - Duran Duran
Again never heard

And on my 18th birthday

UK- A Little Less Conversation - Elvis Vs JXL
Sure enough this was played at all the clubs i went to.

US- Hot In Here - Nelly
Oh this one too, lotsa big nights out dancing.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UK: Apache - The Shadows
US: Lets Twist Again - Chubby Checker

Still the same from the last time we did this, Thank God. [Wink]

originally posted by Monza305
quote:
My birthday: US: It's Too Late by Carol King. I've heard of her, but not the song. I don't think I'm missing anything.
Go out and seek Carole King's Tapestry Album, if you want a treat. Way ahead of it's time, but I suppose a little dated now.

Storm Feather mentioned, Pilot's - 'January'.
The first album I ever bought. You can have it if you can play 12 inch vinyl.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US - Love Theme from 'A Star Is Born' (Evergreen) - Barbara Streisand

UK - Chanson D'Amour - Manhattan Transfer

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US: "The Tide is High" - Blondie

UK: "Imagine" - John Lennon

I'm guessing the latter was popular in January of '81 because of the anniversary of John's death.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US: Crocodile Rock by Elton John
My Life's Theme Song: The First Time by Surface (never heard of it)

Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My song:
Upside Down - Diana Ross

did "and I really don't like Diana Ross either" dy

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avarice
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avarice   Author's Homepage   E-mail Avarice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
U.S: "Another Day in Paradise" By Phil Collins. I hadn't hueard it until just now. How miserable and depressing..

--------------------
I'm really sorry, 'kay?

Posts: 12 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ode to Billy Joe - Bobbie Gentry U.S.

The Last Waltz - Englebert Humperdink U.K.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We share the same birthday songs, The Goof!
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eccles9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eccles9     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps prophetically, both sides of the Atlantic were rocking along to the Rolling Stones '(I can't get no) Satisfaction' on the day I made my grand entry into the human race...

--------------------
'Do not follow in the footsteps of the wise, seek instead what they sought' Matsuo Basho

Posts: 97 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two disco songs,

U.S
Too Much Heaven- The Bee Gees

U.K.
Y.M.C.A- The Village People

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Halfpint Mindy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Halfpint Mindy   E-mail Halfpint Mindy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
U.S.
Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Flyod
I am kind of sick of this song actually.

U.K.
Working My Way Back to You by The Detroit Spinners
I'm only familiar with the original by The Four Seasons.

Damn, I didn't know it was that late, bed time!

Posts: 41 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages