snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Artists known more for their images than for their talent (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Artists known more for their images than for their talent
Cheris
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheris     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't agree more on The Ramones. I love The Ramones, I really can't stand the Sex Pistols. I've tried to get past the part where they were created to promote a clothing store, just can't do it. The Clash, I'm coming to appreciate more and more.

I love Shatner, but I really think he fits here. Every time I see David Caruso act, I think he's doing a Shatner impression but without the charm.

I know somebody will beat me on the head with a frying pan for saying this, but I have to say Lou Reed. That's only my personal opinion. I think Reed has the image and he can write, but I'm not crazy about his singing.

--------------------
"He who laughs first didn't get the joke." Paul Westerberg

Posts: 14 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheris:
Couldn't agree more on The Ramones. I love The Ramones, I really can't stand the Sex Pistols. I've tried to get past the part where they were created to promote a clothing store, just can't do it. The Clash, I'm coming to appreciate more and more.

I love Shatner, but I really think he fits here. Every time I see David Caruso act, I think he's doing a Shatner impression but without the charm.

I know somebody will beat me on the head with a frying pan for saying this, but I have to say Lou Reed. That's only my personal opinion. I think Reed has the image and he can write, but I'm not crazy about his singing.

Fair enough about the Pistols, but they did the right thing by imploding after one proper album, an album that was pretty damn stellar. They lets them exist in memory as more of an event than an actual musical force. I revere the Ramones more than is healthy, but even I will say that they went on for far too long; the last great album they released was "Subterranean Jungle."

I also see your argument for Lou (another hero of mine). Although he's tried very hard to be recognized as a poet separate from his singing. Bob Dylan would fall under that umbrella as well.

Max "in the basement, mixin' up my medicine" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cheris

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Cheris     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I revere the Ramones more than is healthy, but even I will say that they went on for far too long; the last great album they released was "Subterranean Jungle."

Couldn't agree more. They really should have stopped long before they did. You're right about The Pistols too, they quit when they should have and that made a difference.

To me, Reed (and I do love Reed) should take the Jim Carrol approach. Write, sing some and leave it at that. His writing is stellar. His writing is also why I've dubbed him the coolest man on Earth.

--------------------
"He who laughs first didn't get the joke." Paul Westerberg

Posts: 14 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Britney: Her images has always been of more interest than her talent. The image has changed a few times -- from innocent, to kittenish, to coquette, to trailer trash, and is now possibly on the upswing, but these are the things people remember. Even her memorable songs worked because they tied into the perception dujour.

(Gossipy aside: I kinda would like to see her back with Justin Timberlake. Cameron Diaz should be with Drew Barrymore [Wink] )

Whitney Houston in recent years. It takes a lot of negative gossip, and a textbook defunctional marriage, to take away from the memory of a powerful singing voice, but there it is.

Ashton Kutcher. At this point he is more seventies show,Punk'd, boytoy than anything else. I understand there is evidence he can produce, and that he's actually smart, but I don't think that's the common perception.

Prince. Amazing talent. Phenomenal. Most people have just come to see him as a weird little man.

Michael Jackson. Aint touching it, but he wouldn't want me to anyhow.

Baldwin Brothers: Just a trainwreck.

Marilyn Monroe/James Dean/Jayne Mansfield/Most celebs that died young or tragically.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate Courtney Love. This needs no explanation.
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
weird, I don't mind Lou Reed or Bob Dylan's singing..

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
weird, I don't mind Lou Reed or Bob Dylan's singing.. I agree with Max Renn on the sex pistols

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a couple of the earliest "famous for being famous rather than for having talent" ladies, Zsa Zsa and Eva Gabor? Although Eva was funny on Green Acres.

Marilyn Monroe made some classic films, and she was good at what she did, but her early death led to her becoming iconized waaaaaay out of proportion to her talent.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freshman:

Neither do I.

Sister "maybe it's because I can't sing myself?" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Will
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Will   E-mail Will   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jennifer Lopez, none of her movies has done much much at the box office and her chart sucess is seemingly the result of payola.
Posts: 300 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
Fair enough about the Pistols, but they did the right thing by imploding after one proper album, an album that was pretty damn stellar.

My personal view of Never Mind The Bollocks aside (4 good songs, lots of crap), I'd argue that Johnny Rotten got out at the right time, while the rest of the band limped on and further destroyed their image with some truly atrocious singles - and then they all got together to collectively piss on their legacy in 1996 with their reunion tour.

God Save The Queen is still one of the greatest songs ever recorded though.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

What would you say the four good songs are? I think most of the album's all right cept for the song "New York" since its apparently a diatribe against the New York Dolls

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
God Save The Queen
Anarchy In The UK
Pretty Vacant
Holidays In The Sun

The rest if utter trash, trying to use primary school level puns (e.g. Submission) or intentionally inflammatory imagery (e.g. Bodies) to cover the lack of anything to actually say.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always been my opinion that Rotten understood the band and took it not seriously at all, while the others seemed to believe they were doing something of importance.

Sister "but i still get a kick from reading about their american tour..." Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ledfeather

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledfeather   E-mail Ledfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]Sid is everything I hate about the self-parody punk had become by 1979. "You can be a non-conformist too if you dress just like me!". Bah.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I fell the same way about Harley Davidson,"I'm such a rebel I only wear things that say Harley Davidson on them."

--------------------
There is absolutely no evidence that life is meant to be taken serious.

Posts: 29 | From: Washington | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
It's always been my opinion that Rotten understood the band and took it not seriously at all, while the others seemed to believe they were doing something of importance.

Sister "but i still get a kick from reading about their american tour..." Ray

Yeah, Johnny seems sorta reasonable in interviews I've read. It seems he did care about Sid, but was pissed that Sid had become addicted to heroin.

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about John Wayne?
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheris:

My god. I've being trying to place what I can't stand about Caruso for ages, and you've got it spot on. Shatner without the charm! [lol]

quote:
Originally posted by ChelleGame:
Whitney Houston in recent years. It takes a lot of negative gossip, and a textbook defunctional marriage, to take away from the memory of a powerful singing voice, but there it is.

"Powerful singing voice"... that's one way to put it I suppose [Wink] Unfortunately the negativity and dysfunctional marriage have still not managed to wipe Iiiiiiiiii-eeeee-iiiiiiiiiii will always love yoooooooooooooooooooooooooo-oo-oo-oo-ooooooooooooou from my brain [Frown]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
"Powerful singing voice"... that's one way to put it I suppose [Wink] Unfortunately the negativity and dysfunctional marriage have still not managed to wipe Iiiiiiiiii-eeeee-iiiiiiiiiii will always love yoooooooooooooooooooooooooo-oo-oo-oo-ooooooooooooou from my brain [Frown]

Marry me.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, OK then.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wedding bells!

D'oh! I wanted to post my picture of Mosh and trollface admiring a wedding dress together, but Photobucket is down.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats to Mosherette and Trollface. Wish you all the best. [Big Grin]

But back to the OP:

Brigitte Bardot is the first that comes to my mind. Terrible actress, even worse as a singer, the Paris Hilton of 60's Saint-Tropez.

I'd also like to give honorable mentions to :

Josef Beuys (german conceptual artist): A cool hat. That's all.

Jean-Luc Godard (franco-swiss film director) : "I make movies no one understands - I must be a genius".

Jean-Claude VanDamme (belgian he-man) : "can't act, can't talk, can't even think... but are you aware of my muscles ?"

Victoria Beckham (ex-spice girl) : 'nuff said.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
quote:
Originally posted by Freshman:

Neither do I.

Sister "maybe it's because I can't sing myself?" Ray

Along with excellent poets & lyricists whose singing talent is still up for debate: Leonard Cohen. But my God, what a voice.

I think Paris Hilton should be disqualified from this list. She was never an artist to start with, unless you count marketing as art. I'll suggest Lindsay Lohan. While I personally see little talent, it doesn't seem to matter now anyways. She's the girl from the broken home, now with eating disorder and drug history.

Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, OK then.

Hooray!

Take note, fellas, that's how you romance a lady.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Hey! I ain't no lady.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Photobucket's back up. We saw it coming:

-

Can't you just see the ideas forming?

(Sorry about the large picture in the thread, but it is a special occasion.)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
George Hamilton. I know him from the movie "Love at First Bite", but he's mostly known as the guy with a tan.

To me he'll always be the killer in Columbo, even if he was only in two episodes.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Actually, that looks like me and the best man are eyeing each other up.

--------------------

Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toys for big boys.:
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
George Hamilton. I know him from the movie "Love at First Bite", but he's mostly known as the guy with a tan.

To me he'll always be the killer in Columbo, even if he was only in two episodes.
To me he'll always be the "what the hell was Coppola smoking?" pinch-hitter for Robert Duvall in Godfather 3.

Max "Everytime I think I'm out blah blah blah" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Hey! I ain't no lady.

Beg pudding. Take note, lads, that's how you bag a bit of skirt.

quote:
Strumpet!

--------------------

Richard W

quote:

That's what I said when I first posted it, but you denied it and claimed to be looking at the dress! Bah.
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

*memory failure*

To be honest, I think I was looking at the dress of the other woman and thinking, "You actually put that on and though "Yes, that looks lovely"?!"

--------------------

Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
and managed to clash in style and colour with every single aspect of the bride's dress?

That picture needs a caption competition.

SOmething along the lines of "Can I spare one of these earrings to save money on a proper engagement ring?"

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages