snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Another Misheard Lyrics Thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Another Misheard Lyrics Thread
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Walk on the Wild Side" just came on the radio, reminding me of what my then six year old thought:

Real line: "And the colored girls go..."
His line: "And the coloring girls go..."

Of course, he was six...

No excuse for DH. For the song "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh"

Real line: "My Maserati does 185."
His line: "My mother, Rowdy, does 185."

When I pointed it out to him, he said Joe Walsh looked like he'd have a mother named Rowdy.

BTW, I still sing "Purdy little love song" just to dick off DH.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tam   E-mail Tam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lady I used to work with misheard U2's Beautiful Day.

Real Lyric: "It's a beautiful day, the sky falls
And you feel like
it's a beautiful day"

What she heard: "It's a beautiful day, the sky's full of felines, it's a beautiful day"

- Tam

--------------------
"I just grabbed a teddy bear, a little princess crown, and stuck my thumb in my mouth. Now I feel kinda silly." - ChildofMusic

Posts: 129 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who misheard a line from "Brown-Eyed Girl."

The lyric in the song is

quote:
Whatever happened
To Tuesday and so slow
Going down the old mine
With a transistor radio

My buddy always thought it was

quote:

Whatever happened,
On Tuesday, it's so slow,
Goin' down on an old man
With a transistor radio....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brad just reminded me of when I was about ten years old and loved that song...problem was I got a lot of the lyrics wrong.

To start with:

"Hey where did we go"

I thought it was "Hey Rodrigo"

"With a transistor radio"

I thought it was "A trans scissor radio"

"Hidin' 'hind a rainbow's wall"

I thought it was "Hidey Hi (like Cab Calloway) the Rainbows walk"

And my personal favorite

"Can't remember back then Lord"

I thought it was "Casper mask upon that lawn"

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
XhiXhi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XhiXhi   E-mail XhiXhi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who, when watching Grease thought that instead of:

"I've got chills, they're multiplying" was
"I got shoes, they're made of plywood"

and "Hopelessly devoted to you" was
"Hope this city voted for you".

Another friend, when I told her about the Psudeo Echo record "Autumnal Park" gave me a funny look, and repeated back incredulously "They put out a record called A Tongan in the Park ?"

And yet another friend of mine misheard the Sisters of Mercy "No Time To Cry" lyric
"No time for heartache" as
"No time for Latte "

as for my own Mondegreens;

Eddie Grant's "Gimme Hope Johanna"
"a system they call apartheid" became
"a sister they call apartheid"

Dandy Warhols "Bohemian Like You"
"You got a great car, yeah what's wrong with it today?" was for ages in my mind
"You got a credit card ..."

--------------------
"A solitary killer, the fire-truck can consume eight times its own weight in prey...the ambulances will have to wait their turn"

"I'm wearing a f**king evil butterfly costume...what age group do you think is going to be attracted to me?"

Posts: 51 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My weirdest mondegreen was probably Prince's "Little Red Corvette."

He sings the chorus as "LIT-tle Red Cor-VETTE"

For some reason, my seven year old ears translated that as:

"BAY-bee call ME"

"Baby call me". Don't know how I turned it into that.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who can forget that great classic by Willie Nelson?

On the road again,
Like a band of dipsticks, wiggle down the highway.
(Like a band of Gypsies, we go down the highway)

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a song called 'Star of the County Down' by the Celtic Tenors that has a line which goes:

'From Bantry Bay up to Derry Kay & from Dublin to London Town....'

I heard:

'From Bantry Bay up to Danny Kaye & from Dublin to London Town...'

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
There's a song called 'Star of the County Down' by the Celtic Tenors that has a line which goes:

'From Bantry Bay up to Derry Kay & from Dublin to London Town....'

That's Derry Quay.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The refrain in the Robert Palmer song is:

quote:
Gonna have to face it, you're addicted to love
My 3 year old niece sang it as:

quote:
Gonna have to face it, you're a dick in love

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the unique words in pop songs thread, I just realized I'd always heard this line (from Pink Floyd's "The Trial"):
quote:
"The way you made them suffer, your exquisite wife and mother, fills me with an urge to defecate!"
as
quote:
"The way you pained and suffered your exquisite white mother, fills me with an urge to defecate!"
That's just bizarre.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NorthernLite:
Who can forget that great classic by Willie Nelson?

On the road again,
Like a band of dipsticks, wiggle down the highway.
(Like a band of Gypsies, we go down the highway)

From the same song, I used to think the line "The life I love is making music with my friends" was "The wife I love..." It therefore made perfect sense to me why he couldn't wait to get back on the road again!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Push It" By Salt n' Peppa.

For YEARS I thought that weird, whispery guy was saying "Ahhhhhhh, this is bullshit!"

I mentioned one day to my wife how I was amazed they let them play that on the radio unedited and she just burst out laughing.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The (Detroit) Spinners's Ghetto Child appear to have the line:

"Life ain't easy, when you're a gentle touch"

Which I assumed meant someone who was easy to bully.

It actually is "Life ain't easy, when you're a ghetto child"

I mentioned this to my Dad, & he also misheard it when it was first out, but as a "Gattau Child"

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon was turned into "Your Souffle" by someone I know.

Never fails to amuse me.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first heard Moby's "Run On" I heard:

you might run on for a long time
run on, ducking and dodging

as:

you might ride a bull for a long time
ride a bull, ducking and dodging

Uh...yeeha?

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
XPhile
Cereal Killer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XPhile   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Everybody knows, a turkey has a missing toe..."

I was about 3 or 4. I don't remember it, but my mom sure does!

--------------------
"If I am carrying Marilyn Monroe's purse, do you assume that I slept with JFK?"

Posts: 139 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My own contribution from Don't cry for me Argentina.

... the truth is I never loved you ...

instead of

... the truth is I never left you ...

It does change the meaning a bit.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really a misheard lyric, since I knew what the band was really saying, but I'm gonna post about it anyway. The song: All Over You. The band: Live.

The real lyric, "Our love is like water"

What it honest to goodness sounds like to me, "Our love is like Walter."

I KNOW what the real lyric is, but the pronunciation of "water" is so odd that it really does sound more like "Walter". What's more, after saying this to a friend of mine, he can no longer hear the song without thinking the same thing. So basically I ruined a song for someone. Not for me, though, I HATE that song.

Oh, and one other one. "Voices Carry" by 'Til Tuesday. I can never hear the "oi" sound in Voices, and so it sounds to me like the singer is either saying, "This is scary" or "This is Gary."

Mack da "Hush, hush, keep it down now, this is Gary!" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erinker74:
I forgot one more.

In "Silent Night", I always thought "'round yon virgin" was a proper name: "Round John Virgin".

AS a child, I kept looking for him in the nativity scene...

Slightly off topic, but...

There was a children's Chistmas movie (made for TV)on a few years ago called "Olive the Other Reindeer" that was (sort of) about misused lyrics in Christmas songs. There was a character in it call "Round John Burgen". Cute movie, with Drew Barrymore as the voice of the main character. Michael Stipe (R.E.M.) is a voice in it as well.

Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 216 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smackmac:
The one DH still makes fun of me for:

Song: "Heard it in a Love Song"
Band: Marshall Tucker Band

Real Lyric: "Heard it in a Love Song" (yeah, the title, I'm that lame)
What I heard: "Purdy little love song"

I heard 'Ten Feet Long' instead of the real line of 'Can't be wrong'.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... can I crawl under something because I still thought until I read this thread that it really WAS "Purdy Little Love Song"?

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nightwish - White Night Fantasy

The lyrics:
Crestfallen soul
Rest for this night
Love is here
Right here under my wings

I heard it as:
Right under my feet
~HEY! who's stepping on souls now

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Filet o' Spamamander:
... can I crawl under something because I still thought until I read this thread that it really WAS "Purdy Little Love Song"?

Yeah, well until I read this thread, I thought they were saying "Yo no soy mas dinero" in La Bamba, even though I took Spanish for four years and knew it made no sense!!

--------------------

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always had trouble with Elton John's enunciation in his songs. For a time I honestly thought he was singing "Don't let your son go down on me."

Brad "Hmm. Good advice." from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Filet o' Spamamander:

Got enough room for a little white mouse uner there with you?

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
In Don Henley's "The End of the Innocence", I thought "They're beating plowshares into swords for this tired old man they elected king" was "They're beating plowshares into swords for this tired old man with the electric wings".

I think I like your version better. [Wink]

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

"Plowshares" reminded me of another:

"All Along the Watchtower"

Real Lyric: "Businessmen they drink my wine. Plowman dig my earth"
I thought: "Businessmen they drink my wine, come and take my herb"

It made sense to me, being that Hendrix and Dylan are both known to dabble in drugs.

--------------------

ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It made sense to me, being that Hendrix and Dylan are both known to dabble in drugs.

OK, I thought that WAS the lyric until I read your post.
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I've always had trouble with Elton John's enunciation in his songs. For a time I honestly thought he was singing "Don't let your son go down on me."

I wrote a parody using that lyric back in high school. I also wrote a parody of "Your Song" titled "Your Bong", but not because it was a mondegreen.

Cer "Jesus freaks handin' tickets out for gold..." vus

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One more "Purdy Little" Tucker fan here, although I figured it out a few years ago.

The strangest I can remember mishearing:

"Piece of My Heart" as recorded by Big Brother and the Holding Company - Janis sings, "You're out on the street looking good, and baby, deep down in your heart I said you know that it ain't right."

I always heard it as: "You're out on the street, looking good in BVDs, and in your heart you know that it ain't right."

"Kyrie" by Mr. Mister - In my pre-church musician days, I always heard "Kyrie eleison down the road that I must travel" as

"Gimme a laser for the road that I must travel" - hell, if Europe could sing about "The Final Countdown" why couldn't Mr. Mister be doing a sci-fi epic?

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I always thought that it was "Lawman take my herb."

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Non-Aquatic Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
In Don Henley's "The End of the Innocence", I thought "They're beating plowshares into swords for this tired old man they elected king" was "They're beating plowshares into swords for this tired old man with the electric wings".

I think I like your version better. [Wink]

Nonny

I wondered at the time if the line was a sly reference to the story "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings".

Sister "i agree my version is better" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
quote:

I always thought that it was "Lawman take my herb."
I always heard the lyrics as, "Just don't stand there and drink my wine, come and dig my earth".

Remark "glass in one hand and a shovel in the other" gullabull

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're playing "Inna gadda da vida" on WCSX right now. I used to think they were singing "In the garden of eden, baby..." Ok, I'll get it. [fish]

tag still loves that drum solo after all these years... urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages