snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Do these songs sound similar to anyone else? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do these songs sound similar to anyone else?
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Sunshine of Your Love' and 'Inna-Gadda-da-Vida', honey

'Hello I Love You' (Doors) and 'All Day and All of the Night' (Kinks) - Ray Davies sued & won, I think.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can add "Submission" by the Sex Pistols to that one.

Also, the song "Ghostbusters" (Ray Parker Jr) is a lift of "I Want A New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News.

And to prove that I'm not too much of a square, the verses of Nickleback's "Figured You Out" are a minor key rip-off of "Steam" by Peter Gabriel.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nickelback proves you're NOT a square? (I kid, I kid - but they are a very mainstream, and IMO boring, rock band).

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well compared to Ray Parker Jr, Nickleback makes me look positively circular. I agree with you on the boring bit though [Wink]

By the way, I have all of the DKs albums on vinyl, plus a heap of their singles to boot. [Smile]

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Devoltchka
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devoltchka     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i've always thought these songs sounded similar, not necessarily plagiarized, just similar..

'breaking us in two' by joe jackson and 'day after day' by badfinger

'take me out' by franz ferdinand and 'that's all' by genesis

Posts: 6 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mother of Nanaballis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mother of Nanaballis         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Wasn't there an actual lawsuit over the soundalike qualities of "He's So Fine" and "My Sweet Lord"?

Yes, and I believe Mr. Lennon lost that suit, and had to pay the copyright owner or author of "He's So Fine".
Posts: 23 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother of Nanaballis:
quote:
Wasn't there an actual lawsuit over the soundalike qualities of "He's So Fine" and "My Sweet Lord"?

Yes, and I believe Mr. Lennon lost that suit, and had to pay the copyright owner or author of "He's So Fine".
There's an echo in here. [Wink]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Deleted as being in violation of new rules I've set for myself.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother of Nanaballis:
quote:

Mr. Harrison, you mean.
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Republican
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Republican   E-mail Republican   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Surfing USA" and "Sweet Little Sixteen" Chuck Berry suited the Beach Boys, and won.

--------------------
I'm a rumour weed.

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The shared bass line of "Taxman" by the Beatles and "Start" by the Jam.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John Lennon had a plagiarism suit too - "Come Together" was too close to Chuck Barry's "Catch Me If You Can".

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wendelenn

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendelenn   E-mail wendelenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Many songs, or at least snippets of them, have a quite similar sound. I can't think of one right now, and the only reason I'm posting is to suggest singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "The House of the Rising Sun." Impressive.

Posts: 6 | From: Clovis, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wendelenn:

Since we're getting close to Christmas--"O Little Town of Bethlehem" works great to "House of the Rising Sun", too.

And on the subject of seasonal music, Twisted Sister's version of "O Come, All Ye Faithful" sounds suspiciously like their song "We're Not Gonna Take It."

Check it out for yourself.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry Connick Jr's instrumental version of Winter Wonderland sounds a lot like Bachman Turner Overdrives Takin' Care of Business.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"All I Wanna Do" sounds a bit like "Stuck in the Middle".

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gershwin's "You Can't Take That Away From Me" keeps turning into the theme from The Electric Company in my head.

Like this...
The way you wear your hat
We're gonna give you the power!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard a program on XM, where they were playing old bubble gum tunes from the late 60s. Ohio Express had several entries. Their "Beg, Borrow, or Steal" is not just a rip-off of "Louie, Louie", but more of a clone! Even the guitar solos are quite similar.

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
there was that Tom Petty/Red Hot Chilli peppers affair.

For the record, I like Hello I love you and All day and all of the night

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first couple of bars of "Die Marsche der Priester" from Mozart's "The Magic Flute" sounds exactly like "Oh Canada".

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Grow some funk of your own"--from Elton John's Rock of the Westies album has the same beginning as the song that has the lyrics "give me two steps mister...give me two steps toward the door". Sorry, I'm having a massive brain fart now and can't remember the name of the song or the artist!

Coincidently, the songs are pretty much summed up with the same plot: Guy wants girl--girl's guy wants to beat the crap out of guy who wants girl in the first place. Guy who wants girl runs! [lol]

Well, maybe not quite...

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be "Give Me Two Steps" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:

three

ETA: Gimme Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
John Lennon had a plagiarism suit too - "Come Together" was too close to Chuck Barry's "Catch Me If You Can".

The Chuck Berry song was called "You Can't Catch Me." That was one of the dumber lawsuits in retrospect, IMHO, though I'm coming at it from an age of more ironic tribute. Back then it may well ahve just seemed like Lennon was ripping off lyrics.

Max "groovin' up slowly" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
"Every Breath You Take" and "Stand By Me". A mash-up exists of this...

There's also a terrific mash-up of "Every Breath You Take" and the "Peter Gunn" theme. I seem to recall it being used to great effect in the opening episode of the third season of The Sopranos.

Fans of mash-ups should check out 2 many djs. They do great album-length mixes/mash-ups, some of which come compeltely out of left field but work magnificently. I liked where they ran the Breeders' "Cannonball" into Skee-Lo's "I Wish." That was a head-slapping "oh my god!" moment.

Max "I wish i was a little bit taller" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
quote:

three

D'oh! Shouldn't post before I've woken up!

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
quote:

three

D'oh! Shouldn't post before I've woken up!
Well it happens. I'm also a huge Skynyrd fan so it really caught my eye.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That God-awful song "Fergalicious" sounds exactly like J.J. Fad's "Supersonic".

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snafu:
That crappy Jet song and the Iggy Pop one.

"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet and "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop. Every time the Jet song comes on I mistake it for Iggy.

I do remember hearing some sound file that had two different songs by the same band played at the same time, and they were nearly identical in sound. It may have been Nickelback, but I dunno, because as far as I'm concerned Nickelback, Staind, etc. all sound the same anyway.

Mack da "these dang kids with their baggy pants and generic toothless metal . . ." Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Resurrection Joe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Resurrection Joe   E-mail Resurrection Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macheath:
quote:
Originally posted by Snafu:
That crappy Jet song and the Iggy Pop one.

"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet and "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop. Every time the Jet song comes on I mistake it for Iggy.

I do remember hearing some sound file that had two different songs by the same band played at the same time, and they were nearly identical in sound. It may have been Nickelback, but I dunno, because as far as I'm concerned Nickelback, Staind, etc. all sound the same anyway.

Mack da "these dang kids with their baggy pants and generic toothless metal . . ." Knife

It was Nickelback, although the songs actually didn't sound anything like eachother, IMO. They just had the same chord progression in the same key.
Posts: 19 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy hears Pachelbel's Canon in D everywhere he goes.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The chords in The Streets "Never Went To Church", sound exactly like "Let It Be".

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The main bassline in the Sex Pistol's "Holidays in the Sun" is the same as the Jam's "In the City" (I think I got those names right.)

I also stole the bassline for a song I did with my band, but nobody has noticed yet. [Wink]

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The intro to "Spread Your Love" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club sounds suspiciously similar to Spirit In The Sky. The rest of the song isn't that different either, but it's most noticeable in the intro.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Le Chevalier Blanc:
There's also the now classic "Nickleback plagiarizes itself". Story at NPR at:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4258547

The story also mentions that Avril Lavine's "No More Happy Endings" is 90% the same song as well.

Just about all of Nickleback's song sound alike.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages