snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Do these songs sound similar to anyone else? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do these songs sound similar to anyone else?
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Wasn't there an actual lawsuit over the soundalike qualities of "He's So Fine" and "My Sweet Lord"?

Yes. George Harrison lost, IIRC, and wrote a song about the experience, called "This Song."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
The Imperial March from Star Wars and "Spoonful of sugar" from Mary Poppins

I though that I was the only one who heard this! Sure - it's a dark minor key version, but it's there!

There are uncomfortable similarities bewteen "Dani California" (RHCP) and Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" check this link for for comparison MP3.

The riff from Green Day's "Warning" is a rip off of "Picture Book" by The Kinks.

Green Day again - the melody line of "Waiting" is a direct lift of Petula Clark's "Downtown".

Although sued for plagiarism over "My Sweet Lord", George Harrison has had his own share of rip-offs. The chorus from Harrison's "What Is Life" was reborn in The Sweet's "Fox On The Run", and "Isn't It A Pity" got recycled in Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed". Ironically, both of these songs appeared on the same album as "My Sweet Lord".

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Strokes "Last Night" and Tom Petty's "American Girl"
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon:
"Rising sun" is Amazing Grace -- in a higher key.

If you mean "House of the Rising Sun," then no. Is there a song simply titled "Rising Sun" that you mean?
No, I mean "House of the Rising Sun".

And I bow to those more musically adept than I, though I maintain I have heard them exactly the same.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A case of a writer ripping off himself:

"Cherry, Cherry" by Neil Diamond and "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" by the Monkees.

Both written by Neil Diamond.

Lady "I like Cherry Cherry better" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

The opening riffs of the Who's "My Generation Blues" and "Sesame Street" sound a lot alike to me.

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The opening of All You Need is Love and the French national anthem.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The intro to "Hells Bells" (AC/DC) and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (Metallica); granted, they're both just bells ringing, but still...

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
The opening of All You Need is Love and the French national anthem.

And the 1812 Overture (which also rips off Bozhe Tsaria Khrani).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Many songs, or at least snippets of them, have a quite similar sound. I can't think of one right now, and the only reason I'm posting is to suggest singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "The House of the Rising Sun." Impressive.

A visiting youth group put Amazing Grace's lyrics to any number of pop songs. THotRS was one. It also went very nicely with The Eagles' Peaceful Easy Feeling.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrandMal de Caesar:
The lyrics to Gilligan's Island can be sung to Stairway to Heaven. It is very amusing. And of course, totally off this topic.

You mean Stairway to Gilligan's Island by Little Roger & The Goosebumps?
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BJ_Sturgeon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJ_Sturgeon   E-mail BJ_Sturgeon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought the choruses to Michael Jackson's 'You Are Not Alone', Mariah Carey's 'Hero' and U2s 'Staring At The Sun' sounded quite similar.
Posts: 21 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Blackadder theme song and "America the Beautiful."

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Eagles "Lyin' Eyes" and Dr Hook's "If I said you had a beautiful body"
The verse melodies are completely identical, note for note, although the chord progressions differ slightly.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aretha Franklin's "Rescue Me" and 4 Tops's "Can't Help Myself" (Sugarpie Honeybunch) have almost the exact same backbeat. There are a few beats that are different, but they sound almost the same to me.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, last things first, Fontella Bass sang Rescue Me, not Aretha.

And along the same lines as Neil Diamond, John Fogarty was actually sued (*) by Sol Zantz because The Old Man Down the Road, which he didn't have the rights to, sounded too much like Run Through the Jungle, which, through means most would consider unethical, (**) he did have the rights to.

As for "God Save the Queen" / "Let Freedom Ring" (My Country 'Tis of Thee) and "To Anacreon in Heaven" / "Star-Spangled Banner", I'm not sure those would count, since those were intentional. Same for The Alphabet song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

And relating to nothing else in this topic so far, you can sing Why Don't We Do It In the Road to the Beatles' instrumental Flying.

*unsuccessfully
**certainly John does, just listen to Vance Can't Dance for a clue about that

Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by atimnie:
And relating to nothing else in this topic so far, you can sing Why Don't We Do It In the Road to the Beatles' instrumental Flying.

Or any other 12-bar blues, for that matter. Funny thing about standard chord progressions...

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:

Tangentially related... my sister also commented that if you're driving along and the lines in the middle of the road were passing to the beat of "Duke of Earl," you were going exactly 55 mph. Um... but she doesn't drive, so I'm not sure where she got this.

There was some comedian who'd been going off about that. I don't remember who it was, but my mom and I tested it, and it's true! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Garrison Keillor once told a story about singing the lyrics of "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "The Mickey Mouse Club."

Try it.

I'd always heard it as to theme to Gilligan's Island, also. It works, and it's scary!

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed that, that Britney Spears song where she whines about being rich and famous has a bass line remarkably similar to "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck 182
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duck 182   E-mail Duck 182   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the beginning riffs to No Doubt's "Dont Speak" and Supertramp's "Breakfast in America"?
Posts: 128 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
Saigon Kick's "Love is on the way" and Nickelback's "Photograph". Almost the exact same melody.

-Tim

I never realized that! I thought I was the only one in the world that still remembered "Saigon Kick." Interesting...

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That crappy Jet song and the Iggy Pop one.
Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oasis 'Hindu Times' and Stereophonics 'Same Size Feet' have an almost identical riff.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glowy Chloe:
There's a cellphone commercial out now that uses a tune that sounds like T-Rex doing _Spirit in the Sky_. Anyone know what that is?

That would be Norman Greenbaum doing "Spirit in the Sky." I think I have heard "Bang a Gong" lately, but I don't know if it is for the same thing.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I know who recorded _Spirit in the Sky,_ and this sounds far more like T-Rex than Norman Greenbaum. Plus, it's not actually _Spirit in the Sky_: it just sounds like it. I think the Goldfrapp suggestion may have been on to something.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chloe, it is Goldfrapp - T Mobile in the UK used the same track in their ads here.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah well, sitting corrected then. Now I wonder if I'm even thinking of the correct commercial.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can sing the Moravian Blessing to the tune of "Sesame Street" and "Be Present at Our Table Lord" to the Flaminco. I learned both of these in church.

Also, I drive my sister crazy by singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" while she's in the Mythril Mines in Final Fantasy VII. She'll now only play through that part when I'm not around.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Binxi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Binxi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a song by Jessica Simpson, when it starts I always think sheis about to sing a little ditty, 'bout Jack and Dianne.
Posts: 45 | From: South Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure that obvious samples really count. [Smile]

(Under Pressure/Ice Ice Baby, Janie's Cryin'/Wild Thing, etc.)

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
I never realized that! I thought I was the only one in the world that still remembered "Saigon Kick." Interesting...

The first time I heard the Nickelback song I could have sworn someone was doing a much more intense cover of Saigon Kick...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The first time I heard the Nickelback song I could have sworn someone was doing a much more intense cover of Saigon Kick...

-Tim

They sure do, I never realized that before. I guess that would explain why I like Nickelback so much though.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Saigon Kick's "Love is on the way" and Nickelback's "Photograph". Almost the exact same melody.

-Tim

Nope, you're not the only one. Although I have to admit, I prefer "All I Want" to "Love is on the Way."

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
p-man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man   E-mail p-man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier" (the "na-na-na-na na-na-na-na" part and the music from "The Banana Splits".

--------------------
"What's my ultimate authority? My mind!"- Dr. Elvin Overton

Posts: 12 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Le Chevalier Blanc

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Le Chevalier Blanc         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also the now classic "Nickleback plagiarizes itself". Story at NPR at:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4258547

The story also mentions that Avril Lavine's "No More Happy Endings" is 90% the same song as well.

--------------------
-Le Chevalier Blanc

"Chivalry is not dead - it's just paralyzed from the neck up..."

Posts: 9 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages