snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » The Onion's new editorial cartoonist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Onion's new editorial cartoonist
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For reader's and fans of The Onion (America's Finest News Source):

At the beginning of October, The Onion added an editorial cartoon each week as a feature. October 5th was my first exposure to this cartoonist, and I was quite baffled. As each week has passed, my befuddlement has grown.

This guy has got to be the WORST editorial cartoonist on the face of the continent!

Example 1: Today's cartoon(October 25th, 2006)
The commentary is about the earthquake in Hawaii. We see a stereotypical tourist couple (identified as "innocent tourists") looking down upon the corpse of the Hawaiian Punch characted as the grim reaper (marked earthquakes) poises to rip the life from the tourists. Meanwhile, the writer comments from the corner "Aloha Hawaii, and good riddance".

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot? Does that make sense to anyone else? What is the point? Is he saying that Hawaii duped tourists into coming there only to be killed? Is he saying that Hawaii, now that they had an earthquake, is a wasteland that shouldn't be visited by anyone? I don't get it.

Example 2: But it's not nearly as confusing as last week's cartoon (October 18th, 2006).
This one comments on the Mark Foley scandal. Poor innocent Mark Foley (marked 'innocent Senator') stands at the door of the congressional pages' lounge as those horrible, awful pages try to seduce him with their sexy, beguiling, young bodies. The writer chimes in to justify Mr. Foley's actions by reminding us that "we are ALL Mark Foley".

Again, WTF? Uh, I am most definitely NOT Mark Foley. Am I missing something, or does this guy just suck at his job?

One final example: The first week's cartoon (October 5th, 2006)
Here, the cartoonist aims to explain to us how the E.Coli spinach crisis occurred. It has nothing to do with farm practices, or fertilization, or runoff into water ways...no, it's those stupid, dirty Mexicans. Yes, from the viewpoint of this cartoonist, the spinach was tainted because Mexicans are so stupid and dirty that they handle spinach in processing plants with feces all over their hands. The writer, quite angered by these foreigners, proclaims "Have a spinach taco, amigo. WE INSIST". [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Once again, and with as much sincerity as I can muster, WHAT-THE-NFBSK?

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Methuselah:
This guy has got to be the WORST editorial cartoonist on the face of the continent!

I think that's the joke. [Wink]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get the Mark Foley one because I have no idea of the situation, but the others are parodies of editorial cartoons, and quite cunning ones at times. I found these last week and was confused at first too. (Mostly because the current one at that point was the Mark Foley one, which I still don't get.)
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely. It's Onion. If they had editorial cartoons that actually made sense, it wouldn't be Onion material....
I actually giggled at the Foley one.... bad girl, guru....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 216 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was my thought also. [Smile]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
quote:
Originally posted by Methuselah:

I think that's the joke. [Wink]
I think I get it now. And, I have to admit, I'm feeling quite foolish that I didn't get it sooner.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hawaiian one is a dead-on parody of the actual media coverage.

Much of the news I saw was focused on what a terrible inconvenience it was for tourists, while the suffering of the actual residents of Hawaii was reported as an afterthought.

The "Foley was seduced!" angle was brought up by a few right-wing pundits, most noticeably on The Drudge Report.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are pretty hilarious. No offense, Methuselah, but it makes it that much funnier to think there are people not getting it.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the crying Statue of Liberty in the Mark Foley one.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Onion: Our Dumb Century (one of the funniest and wisest books ever written - I can't recommend it highly enough) has the running joke of having all the cartoons throughout the publication's history being some variation of the Statue of Liberty being ravaged by a gross caricature of whatever was felt to be the biggest threat to the nation at the time.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get the Onion's articles either. Ever since I had my sense of irony surgically removed (not enough Vitamin F), I just can't understand why the stories are all so mixed up. Apparently, some of them aren't even true.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
I don't get the Onion's articles either. Ever since I had my sense of irony surgically removed (not enough Vitamin F), I just can't understand why the stories are all so mixed up. Apparently, some of them aren't even true.

Oh, make no mistake. I get The Onion. I love it and think it's hilarious. I've been a reader since 1991. The editorial cartoons just caught me by surprise. I don't know why.

I guess I just assumed that because editorial cartoons are used for ironic social criticism themselves that the concept of 'spoofing a spoof' (so to speak) wasn't on my radar. I feel quite stupid about it now, so I'm going to go hide in a corner and cry for a little while. [Embarrassed] [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages