snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » NaNoWriMo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's that time again. Anyone else doing it this year? I'm giving it another go after failing quite spectacularly last year. I just don't know what I'm going to write. I've got loads of ideas floating around, but nothing that I can see where they're headed. Loads of beginnings, no middles or ends.

I'm also not sure how silly or serious to be. Time to read through my notes, pick something, and get on with thinking about it. It's now that I miss having a bath. You just can't get the same kind of thinking done in the shower.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny you bringing this up, because I sent out the word on myspace just the other day. I've tried for four years and I always fail miserably. That's why I started early this year. Not writing, of course. Just plotting out things, fleshing out (and up) my characters.

I tend to get bogged down in perfectionism, but I've decided to just write the darned thing and then pretty it up later. I tend to reread things quite a bit, and tweak endlessly. I've decided the best route is to just get it out and not look back at anything till it's done.

If anyone is really curious about my novel, here is the description of it that I copied from my blog because I'm lazy.

quote:
Basic plot (it's gonna be complex, so I'll keep this simple-ish). The anti-christ is reborn and walks among us. He lives in a fabulous high-rise occupied by the requisite zany characters. Anyway, his big three-oh is coming up, at which time he must decide if he wants to rule Hell etc. or give it all up for a regular mortal life. Now, this should be an easy choice, natch, but our anti-hero is all conflicted because he falls in wuv with a cute art student who makes him rethink his humanity. Oh - and they are totally gay. As if I would write hetero sex. Blugh. Meanwhile, one of the demons in hell is fed up with the current leadership and decides to rebel by tentacle-raping humans (I watched some hentai the other day!) and spawning lots of little demon minions. And his mother is a scheming bitch who has the hots for him(!). The End!

Damn, I'm good. Who wouldn't read that?

Hey, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to be 50,000 words!

Pardon the exclamation points...!

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in again, for the third year...hopefully my first success.

Since a) I never finished, and b) I lost the 5k words I did get done, I'm salvaging my story from last year. Since I have no actual WORK left, it's no different than when I used it last year, and had been playing with the idea for a year plus.

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done it before (I've written four novels, but never during NaNoWriMo), but I have been working on an idea for a novel that I'm kind of liking, so maybe I'll go for it this time.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
3 days in, how's everybody's NaNo going? I'm currently managing to stay just about on schedule - 50-200 words over every day so far. I'm already almost at the point where I gave up, last year.

--------------------

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine's going very well, indeed. I'm just over 20,000 words into it. Though I spent a few hours writing a scene last night, and then realized today that one of my characters wasn't acting the way he logically would, so I have to rewrite that entire scene. I hate it when fictional characters over-rule me.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WittySquirrel
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I already have some story ideas here, but I'm not starting yet until my exams finish, that's the 18th. Ah well, I guess it would be the same situation as 2004. I only got up to 10,000 words in the last 2 weeks of the month. I might try again.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

I'm more than half-way to the 50,000 word mark!

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And all of you on this thread have gone over to the NaNo boards and announced yourselves in the snopes thread, right? [Wink]

Seaboe, who is still two days behind.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, did anyone manage it? I wasn't taking part, but I'd be interested to hear if anyome completed it. [Smile]

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did better than I ever had before came no where near completing my novel.
I do however, know a great deal more about medieval French inheritence laws which I'm sure will be very very useful.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
So, did anyone manage it? I wasn't taking part, but I'd be interested to hear if anyome completed it. [Smile]

At least three of us did (Missycat, Neffti and me). Auntie Witch is getting pretty darn close.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished a few hours ago and am now stuffing chocolate yule log into my gob and smiling. I was saving it for Christmas but this is more important.

I will definitely be taking part again next year, I've got so much out of it. Thanks Snopes for putting me on to it, and thanks to everyone on the NaNoWriMo Snopes board for the encouragement.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about 500 words from victory.

--------------------

Kamino Neko

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And now...I Am A Winner! 50322!

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a big, fat "fail".

My word-processor crash at the beginning, coupled with a couple of days immediately afterwards where I was so tired that I couldn't think meant that I never really got started.

Well, I suppose I've got a day left. 48,000ish words in a day...doable?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

I finished mine, too. I actually had the novel completed at about 48,000 words, so I had to do some rewriting and editing to get it up to 50,000, and I even managed to get it over 52,000.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Mizu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mizu   E-mail Mizu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I died at 32,000 something. I just couldn't stay motivated.

--------------------
"I am lost in the familiar streets
and created the other side of myself in the darkness" ~ Kawaita Sakebi~ Field of View

Posts: 302 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing a great job at cranking out 5000 a day to catch up, until I got the news about mom yesterday. I've 11000 to go, but I took today off. I'm going to try telling myself that I want my mother to see my name in print, and this may be her only chance, and see if that gives me the drive to get this thing finished today.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did it! With time to spare!

Of course, when I told mom about my story, she said, "Well, I'll have to read it. I think. I'm not sure I'll like it if that's what it's about." [Roll Eyes]

I'm not done with my story yet, but I got my words in, and that's all that I really worried about today. I'll finish it next month at a leisurely pace and then edit in January.

--------------------

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! AW, I'm amazed. 11k in less than two days.

You deserve a round of applause.

Seaboe

--------------------

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done AW - you get the gold star I think! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Thanks. [Big Grin] By the way, I am NOT doing that again!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages