snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Favorite CDs of 2006 so far

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite CDs of 2006 so far
Wyerthfali
Ichthyological Conundrum

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Wyerthfali   E-mail Wyerthfali   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year was a great year for music: dEUS, Spoon, Andrew Bird, a whole lot of excellent stuff. So far this year, though, only one CD has grabbed me like those did, the new Decemberists album.

I need to widen my search, and I'm calling on all you Snopesters to help me out.

What have been your favorite CDs of 2006 so far? What are you looking forward to before year's end?

Any genre, any marketing demographic. What have you enjoyed?

I should probably list my picks for this year so far, too.

The Decemberists: The Crane Wife

Historical fiction in indie rock suites, drawing from all sorts of '70s sources. Lyrics like "Affix your barb and bayonet/The curlews carve their Arabesques." A couple ten-minute suites, one with a great, surprising, Tull-like organ break. A song influenced by Steely Dan. A song influenced by Led Zeppelin. English folk songs. Banjo. Bouzouki. Beautiful, knowingly overwrought, lots of songs in which people die in dramatic, story-like fashion. Jaw-droppingly excellent.

Belong: October Language

Glitchy shoegaze — i.e., waves of guitar sound heavily worked over by computers until they become waves of partial memories, like light through tree branches and/or tears.

Mojave 3: Puzzles Like You

Wispy balladeers intermix their sound with layerd, uptempo retro-rock. Lovely harmonies, sad lyrics, good kicks.

There are more I've enjoyed, but those have been my top 3 so far.

What've you been into this year?

--------------------
I write descriptions of natural forms on the walls, scratching them on the tile surface with a diamond.
--- Donald Barthelme, "Game"

Posts: 14 | From: Rockville, MD | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Without question, my best of the year vote goes to Bruce's Seeger Sessions. The only one that comes close is the new live Ani DiFranco one, recorded in 2002 but just released this year.

I've never heard of The Decemberists, but that sounds like one I'd like too.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So far, almost every new album I've gotten this year has been a disappointment (i.e. Tom Petty, Barenaked Ladies, The Vines, Frank Black). It's actually a bit hard to pick some, but I'll go out on a limb for these:

"Ships" by Danielson. This band (formerly known as "Danielson Famile") just keeps getting better and better, but they've always been a band you'll either love or hate. Very bizarre, surreal folkish-type sing-along-y music with a slightly Christian bend.

"The Avalanch" by Sufjan Stevens. Just a collection of leftover tracks from his last album, "Illinoise", so not as good. But still way better than you would expect a collection of leftovers to be.

"Broken Boy Soldiers" by The Raconteurs. I liked this one a lot.

"The Life Pursuit" by Belle and Sebastian. I've never liked this band, but my brother loaned this one to me, and I really liked it, especially "White Collar Boy" and "Sukie In The Graveyard". It did make me go back and re-listen to some of their earlier stuff, and, nope, still don't like it.

"The Information" by Beck. I haven't given it too many spins, and I think I like it less than his last album, but still a good album overall. "Strange Apparition" is my favorite track.

"Other People's Lives" by Ray Davies. Can't say I LOVE this album. Probably liked it even less than the last few Kinks albums, but still good to hear back from the guy, and it does have some outstanding tracks.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest Tom Petty was good as well as Bob Seger's Face the Promise.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I don't think I've bought any new CD's this year except Weird Al's "Straight Outta Lynwood." Which I liked, but probably isn't what you had in mind. [Smile]

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amuptechture by The Mars Volta is quite good. I would say it's better than their last album.

The Eraser, by Thom Yorke, is also pretty interesting. Not a lot like Radiohead, just a collection of short, simple electronic tracks.

Black Holes and Revelations, by Muse, is a lot better than Absolution and a lot of fun to listen to.

Blood Mountain, by Mastodon, has excellent guitar riffs and melodies on it, even if the vocals were a bit of a disappointment for me (though not too different than on their previous albums, apparently).

Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Red Sun, by Red Sparowes, is very good instrumental post-rock, with a bit of shoegazing thrown in there. The tracks are epic and the whole composition is very well done.

Ashes Against the Grain, by Agalloch, is much more rock and post-rock than their previous metal albums (which you may prefer if you aren't a big fan of growled vocals) but it still has the black metal atmosphere and some amazing melodies, so I would give it a try.

At War With the Mystics, by the Flaming Lips, is a fun album to listen to and carries on more of their quirky, simple, psychedelic song-writing.

10,000 Days by Tool is just as good as any previous Tool releases, so if you like them I would strongly recommend picking it up.

The Great Cold Distance, by Katatonia, is a lot like Tool in my opinion, so if you like Tool you would probably like that too.

The Altar, a collaboration by Boris and Sunn O)), isn't out yet but they did have a few songs from it online (they're gone now). If you like experimental, noisy, very moody music (much much more melodic than just Sunn O))) I would definitely recommend this one, especially if you're a fan of either band.

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All the Roadrunning by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris... great to listen to in the car on long road trips.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Broken Boy Soldiers by the Raconteurs is very, very good.

I am very, very much looking forward to Kingdom Come by Jay-Z- sounds to be in the same vein as the brilliant Black Album, too.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tarkans new CD (& his first in English) Come Closer is very, very good. I had only heard the first track 'Just Like That' but the entire CD is hot, hot, hot!! Its very much a pop CD but theres a lot of Middle-Eastern edge to it. 'Bounce' is probably the best example of this 'edge'.
AFAIK, you can't buy it here in the US yet but I was able to get a copy for about $12 or so from eBay. It was worth every penny!!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I'm not much of a CD buyer (downloadables and radio FTW), I'm gonna toss up Straight Outta Lynwood and make a hasty exit.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wyerthfali
Ichthyological Conundrum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wyerthfali   E-mail Wyerthfali   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, thanks everyone for the suggestions!

--------------------
I write descriptions of natural forms on the walls, scratching them on the tile surface with a diamond.
--- Donald Barthelme, "Game"

Posts: 14 | From: Rockville, MD | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beck- the Information: Only real new album I've ever bought, but it's awesome. Nausea's probably my favorite song

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No one's mentioned Modern Times or The Lemonheads yet?

I'm liking The Obliterati from Mission of Burma so far, but I'm not sure if I'll rank it as one of the year's best. Yo La Tengo's new one should be included only because "black Flowers" is their finest song.

Sister "all these posts are making up for what I admitted in the CD's you're ashamed to own thread.." Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm supposed to be "ashamed" to admit this, but one of my favorite CD's of 2006 so far is Evanescence (the newest one). I also really enjoyed Terra Naomi "Virtually" an independent artist that you can find on MySpace or YouTube who has some great pipes and great songs.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I rarely but CDs in the year they come out. So so far, the only CD I have bought that came out in 2006 is RHCP "Stadium Arcadium." But it has not left the top 3 of my playlist yet.
Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Elms: The Chess Hotel.

*drool*

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
Broken Boy Soldiers by the Raconteurs is very, very good.

Agreed. That album is #1 on my list to buy right now and since I actually have some money today I may go buy it.

Number 2 on my list is The City Sleeps In Flames by Scary Kids Scaring Kids. Very melodic post-hardcore.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
serarose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serarose   E-mail serarose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually end up downloading a song or two, but one CD I've been listening to again and again is Marking Time by Fluttr Effect (yes that's how it's spelled)- Art rock that kicks ass from amazing musicians

I'm looking forwward to picking up a copy of Isalie from Common Rotation. Unpredictable, catchy, constantly evolving folk that blows my mind.

--------------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning- Einstein

Posts: 290 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been buying much music this year, but here goes.

Love Their Country by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - the masters of the cover take on country. Their cover of Garth Brook's "Much to Young to Feel this Damn Old" was the highlight.

Bat out of Hell III by Meatloaf - better then the second, but nothing will ever match the first.

Take the Weather With You by Jimmy Buffett - solid but unspectacular CD although its good to hear him move away from the pseudo-country sound of License to Chill to to the beach bum sound we all know and love.

Straight Outta Lynwood by Weird Al - he's funny, and frankly he actually has a very talented singing voice. I'm must admit I'm very curious as to what a "straight" song would sound like from him.

Hefty Fine by the Bloodhound Gang - enjoyable, but I think it's obvious they are losing their touch. With each CD they seem to get worse and worse.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be put off by the way the little girls squee at him - Teddy Geiger is talented and very sophisticated for his age - he reminds me of a young Todd Rungren. He's self taught, plays guitar and keyboards, and has been writing music since he was 11. Not just a pretty face propped up by production smoke and mirrors.

I can listen to the whole CD (his debut album) without skipping a song - rare for me to be able to do.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Twilight Singers: Powder Burns

I just love the entire cd. I've been a Greg Dulli fan for about 14 years now and its been amazing to see his growth as a musician and lyricist.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster of Samos
Make Me a Fire Love

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster of Samos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Neko Case's "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood". Terrifying stuff from a great talent.

--------------------
When Hell is full, the dead will walk to work.

Posts: 32 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monster of Samos:
I love Neko Case's "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood". Terrifying stuff from a great talent.

I saw her on this last tour. Phenomenal.

My five greatest picks?

Nina Nastasia's On Living

Cat Power's The Greatest

Jason Molina's Let me go, let me go, let me go.

Bonnie Prince Billy's The Letting Go

The Thermals' the body the blood the machine

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muskrat Monroe
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muskrat Monroe   E-mail Muskrat Monroe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The top ten albums I bought this year would be:

1. Alan Jackson's "Like Red on a Rose"

2. George Strait's "It Just Comes Natural"

3. Bob Seger's "Face the Promise"

4. Dixie Chicks' "Taking The Long Way"

5. The Wreckers, "Stand Still, Look Pretty"

6. The CARS soundtrack

7. Jimmy Buffet, "Take the Weather With You"

8. Toby Keith's "White Trash with Money" (I'm wondering if people will let me get away with being a Keith fan. It's the best damn album of his whole career)

9. Josh Turner, "Your Man"

10. Alan Jackson, "Precious Memories," his gospel album

I have high hopes for Vince Gill, Sugarland, and keith Urban's albums, but haven't gotten them yet. I also really want Ray LaMontagne's "Till The Sun Turns Black"

--------------------
Someday I'll aquire wisdom, but for now, being a wise-ass will have to do.

Posts: 90 | From: the Michigan/Ohio border | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can hardly remember buying many CDs at all this year from this year; I mostly scour used CD stores for back-catalogue stuff. But lately I've loved:

Lady Sovereign "Public Warning"

Pere Ubu "Why I Hate Women"

The first disc of the Marie Antoinette soundtrack

Max "all bow down" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages