snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » The Amazing Race 10 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Amazing Race 10
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers

Well I know there are a few of us out there who watch this so I thought I'd kick off this season.

I like it so far. I was surprised by the mid leg elimination. Everyone looked so shocked and sad and the two guys looked pretty pissed off but, them's the breaks.

All the teams are fairly neutral for me right now, no one's really grating on my nerves and I'm not cheering for anyone yet. The bickering dating couple will get there soon. And the lady with the leg (and no, I can't remember anyone's name right now) was whinier than I imagined but so far everyone's ok.

Did anyone think the brick challenge "trick" was that tricky? To me it was clear that there was a row of grey bricks then the red ones. The first row of grey was a completely different shade of grey than the existing ones. I was so surprised that it took teams so long to figure it out.

The physical stuff looks like it's going to be really tough this year. Get to the pit stop, over this wall!

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE

I love, love, LOVE this show! The mid-leg elimination really did shock the hell out of all the contestants - and me too! I wonder what other surprises will be in store this season...

I haven't picked a team to cheer for yet, either. It's early yet! I do really like the single moms, though, since I always root for the underdogs...

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed with how physical the challenges are. Usually the tougher physical challenges happen later in the series. I didn't think the brick challenge trick was that tricky either, but at the same time I can see myself not noticing something like that under that kind of stress.

The lady with the leg was a bit more of a whiner than I expected but at the same time she impressed me for taking all of that on. What surprised me even more was how whiney and hopeless some of the other people were. Michael and I were shouting at the television, "The lady with the leg made it up the wall! If she can do it, it's not impossible for you!"

I was surprised by the mid-leg elimination and disappointed that it was Bilal and Sa'eed. I was really liking them and I think they would have been one of the more interesting teams to watch. I can understand why they were upset since it sounds like they did a great deal of preparation. They learned the basics of several languages to help them get by and studied up on cultural traditions for areas they were likely to go to. I'm always surprised by teams who haven't done any prep work at all and I thought it was great that these guys did. We were also interested to see how much their faith really would have played a part. But, as you say, them's the breaks.

So far we're liking the recovering addict models (we've dubbed them The Crackheads for now). I forget what it was that impressed us both...I think they were the ones who immediately noticed the brick trick? There were a couple things we liked about them, anyhow.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yeah, and we had a good laugh over one of the teams (either the cheerleaders or the beauty queens, I think) giving this urgent direction to their cab driver: "To the Great Wall. Of China!" [lol] No kidding.

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No spoilers, just different giggles.

Jenn, I like The Crackheads too. I rolled laughing during the intro, "We are recovering drug addicts, and odels." I'm not sure why, but something there just killed me. But they seem to be a good team, at least they aren't coming across as icky as the Frats last time.

I liked the girl with the leg until she stole a cab by saying they needed to get to the hospital because of her leg. I know it is a race and all that, but I just didn't like that.

I also laughed at the cheerleaders when the blond asked "Muslims worship Buddah?" and the other doesn't know. Because, you know, that hasn't been a topic everywhere lately.

ETA: Add me to the list of suprised on how hard the first leg seemed. Super long flight, eating roadblock, tricky challenge, then physical challenge. Wow!

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phil'sGirl
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil'sGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When are we going to have a lsebian couple on this show?

--------------------
"Nobody ever looks like McCarthy, sir. That's how they get in the door in the first place" Toby on The West Wing

Posts: 816 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...and if we get one, how do we pronounce "lsebian"?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you pronounce it? Just as it is spelled.

Incorrectly....... [fish]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be a couple from the region of Lsebia. Lsebia, for those of you who do not know, is a small Scandinavidian country, close to Nroweigh, Dinemark and Svodin.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Zabia:
I liked the girl with the leg until she stole a cab by saying they needed to get to the hospital because of her leg. I know it is a race and all that, but I just didn't like that.

Yeah, exploiting the disability to get ahead is hardly the best way to go about proving how able one is. But that's not really the point, the point is to finish first/not finish last.

Still, I don't understand why other racers were complaining that she pre-boarded. "She can do this but she had to board the plane first?" Uh, it doesn't matter in what order they board the plane. Everyone has assigned seats and everyone on that flight is going to land at the same time. There is no race advantage I can think of to pre-boarding, so what's the problem with her getting on the plane first?

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Zabia:

Yeah, exploiting the disability to get ahead is hardly the best way to go about proving how able one is. But that's not really the point, the point is to finish first/not finish last.

Still, I don't understand why other racers were complaining that she pre-boarded. "She can do this but she had to board the plane first?" Uh, it doesn't matter in what order they board the plane. Everyone has assigned seats and everyone on that flight is going to land at the same time. There is no race advantage I can think of to pre-boarding, so what's the problem with her getting on the plane first?

I don't really care if she takes advantage of her disability to get ahead. It's all part of the game, and she will have enough obstacles throughout the game to even everything out. Even the cab didn't bother me.

I don't have a favorite team yet. Usually I am a sucker for the father/daughter team, but in this one dad seems like a jerk. I'm basing this soley on his reaction to his daughter's sexual orientation, but we will see how it goes.

I do have a team which I don't care much for, but bringing up the whos and the whys would just stir up a whole pot of ugliness so I'll keep it to myself for now.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
I don't really care if she takes advantage of her disability to get ahead. It's all part of the game, and she will have enough obstacles throughout the game to even everything out. Even the cab didn't bother me.

Oh, I agree, it's about playing the game. I'll also note that in the team with the little person a couple seasons ago (Charla and Mirna?) that they used her status as a little person to get help from locals all the time, and she was loved by many despite her taking advantage of her size. This is no different. There have even been teams who had no apparent physical challenges who pulled out the "This is an emergency" thing. This is really no different, this woman just happens to have a good prop to sell the emergency line.

--------------------

Phil'sGirl
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Phil'sGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
...and if we get one, how do we pronounce "lsebian"?

Actually, the first three times I kept spelling it 'lessbain'.

But my question still stands. I'm tired of having male-only gay couples. We need a team of lesbians on the show, not one whose father is disappointed with her.

--------------------
"Nobody ever looks like McCarthy, sir. That's how they get in the door in the first place" Toby on The West Wing

Posts: 816 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

There will be a lesbian couple as soon as a compelling lesbian couple who are interesting and will make for some good television applies to the show, I'm sure.

--------------------

blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE

In a way it was a minor emergency, if her leg was leaking fluid the more she walked the harder it was for her to walk, if she walked the whole way then she would have been stuck with a non functioning leg. Not life threatening but still kinda dire.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I wonder if the bricks didn't throw people because they only saw the expected 'brick" color.

Peter and Sarah annoyed me; don't be telling us at great length that she can do anyting anyone with 2 legs can and then pull the "disabled gal" trick. Am I the only only that heard Peter say something along the line of "I bet we can use the pre-boarding [idea] again?"

Me, if I were in charge of TAR, I would make it a penalty to say that it's an emergency unless it really is.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't picked out a favorite team quite yet, and this early on there are so many teams that I tend to get confused [Smile]

I dind't think the brick trick was that difficult, but everyone was in such a hurry that it was pretty easy to overlook... which was probably the point...

I was shocked by that mid-leg elimination too! I was really interested to see that team and what type of interaction there would be; if there would be some Muslim remarks [ETA: snotty/prejudiced comments, etc] from the other teams eventually or some tension or something... could have been very interesting.

ETA 2.0: Has anyone ever applied to be on the show? I got an application once b/c Mr. P wants to do it sooo bad, and it was like 9 pages long! Seems like a pretty exhaustive process to get an interview/audition. Anyone ever gone through with it?

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The elimination of the two Islamic guys disappointed me too. On a related note, I wonder if they had any trouble with security. Two Islamic men traveling with one-way tickets bought at the last minute...

ETA: With two cheerleaders and two Miss America state winners, the frat boys are probably thinking they got on the wrong season.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was bummed by the mid-show elimination and by the couple who get eliminated at the end. A couple who treats each other nicely-- they were my favorites.

I had no problem with Sarah exploiting her disability. Do you think Miss New York and Miss California will have any issue with exploiting their status to get ahead?

I like the Crackheads too. Although I am getting a little tired already of the "We have been through an addiction! We can do anything!" Routine.

DId you see the way the cheerleaders took that wall, though? I was prepared to dislike them on principle, but that impressed the hell out of me.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by kitappled by a windstorm:
Am I the only only that heard Peter say something along the line of "I bet we can use the pre-boarding [idea] again?"

I still fail to see how pre-boarding provides any advantage worth complaining about. So they're on the plane first because they can be...so what? They still take off at the same time as everyone else on that plane. They still land at the same time. The seats are still pre-assigned. If they were taking advantage of it to get off the plane first I could see the point, but that's not how it works. People who are pre-boarding because they need extra time or help are typically the last to deplane, waiting until everyone else has departed.

--------------------

Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing that struck me immediately this time around is that the teams seemed to be a bit more diverse. However, that didn't last long, since we lost the Muslims and the Hindus in the same episode. (I was definitely disappointed, they both looked like interesting teams.)

I don't really have strong opinions about the remaining teams yet, though the cheerleaders could get grating if they continue being so...cheerleadery. [Smile] (The way they do the cheerleader clap, for instance.) I suspect that as fatigue sets in, they'll settle down a bit, but maybe it will give them the energy they need to keep going. Hard to say.

And yes, the first leg challenges did seem tougher than usual for the start...there were several teams I wasn't sure were going to make the rope climb, and we don't usually get the icky-food challenge until somewhat later, either. Maybe it has to do with the fact that they're going west instead of east this season?

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
Originally posted by kitappled by a windstorm:
Am I the only only that heard Peter say something along the line of "I bet we can use the pre-boarding [idea] again?"

I still fail to see how pre-boarding provides any advantage worth complaining about. So they're on the plane first because they can be...so what? They still take off at the same time as everyone else on that plane. They still land at the same time. The seats are still pre-assigned. If they were taking advantage of it to get off the plane first I could see the point, but that's not how it works. People who are pre-boarding because they need extra time or help are typically the last to deplane, waiting until everyone else has departed.
The thing that grates me about them is that they are so "Sarah can do anything a person with 2 legs can do" and then start playing the disabled bit. If they had never said the first part, I would be okay with them doing whatever. The preboarding, as such, doesn't bother me so much; she probably does legitimately need extra time. It's the whole shebang that gets me.

It's just like I get irritated by teams that say they're so smart, leaders, etc. and then they follow everybody like mindless lemmings.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:

DId you see the way the cheerleaders took that wall, though? I was prepared to dislike them on principle, but that impressed the hell out of me.

TGirl, that was way cool how they did that. They were just like "Oh, this is just like step up drills" or something, and just flew up it. I was pretty impressed with that too!!

And of course it was impressive that the triathalon woman got up that rope. That running foot she was wearing looked like it wouldn't be much use on that rope, but the regular leg/running shoe she was wearing previously would probably have been easier. So I was impressed with that, regardless of the complaints and using her disability to get a cab...that's just part of the game, IMHO. If you can get an edge, you use it. It is a competition, after all!

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers

Well, after week two....

It really seemed like there was a lot of luck involved in this week's episode. Cars broke down, animals went out of control or ran away...it was really difficult to feel that anyone deserved to win or lose.

(I do give credit to Peter and Sarah for recovering from swapping tasks on the detour twice and still finishing first. Very impressive!)

The fire-arrow task was cool, though I would hope if I was ever in one of these, my teammate picked the archery event, because I can't shoot a bow and arrow three feet.....

I thought most of the contestants were less boggled than I would have been at the notion of going to Outer Mongolia. It's just not a place I ever expect to wind up. I mean, I don't expect to go to China, either, but if a freak opportunity came up, sure, it'd be neat. Mongolia, on the other hand...? Just odd.

Anyhow, I can't say I was too sorry to see the cheerleaders go, though I wasn't overjoyed either. There still really isn't a team I love or a team I hate (though I think Rob and Kimberly could blow up pretty spectacularly). Hopefully we still have some fun and excitement ahead.

--------------------

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

[small voice] I kept thinking the Misses America and the Cheerleaders were the same people. [/small voice]

I thought the "pay us money to watch her run" bit was distasteful.

I loved the runaway ox. Also that goofy camel face.

Have Lyn and Karlyn had *any* fun yet? They never seem to be happy.

--------------------

paisley claus
We Three Blings

SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE SPOILER SPACE

After last night's episode, the Miss America team has won my cheering-on! I guess it' sjust because they have stayed so incredibly supportive of each other, and they just seem very grounded. Even with the lost helmet, there wasn't a screaming-freak out. They stayed pretty calm. I was rooting for them big time by the end of the show.

I thought that was really distasteful of the triathathlete team to ask for money too...Yes, the locals were fascinated, and that was nice of them to demonstrate and show what her leg was all about, but to ask for money? Yuck. I'm glad no one gave them any!!

--------------------

NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I really enjoy the fact that so far there has been a challenge at the pit stop. It could really make a big difference in who goes home in each episode.
I've got to throw in with those who were put out by the asking for money bit. I am not cheering for those two. The guy is enough to drive anyone crazy with his motivational bit.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish they didn't put this show up against new episodes of the Simpsons.

I can't wait for CableCard 2.0 to come out.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers

I hate Peter. Hate hate hate. Watch as my girlfriends hops on her prostetic leg which is malfunctioning! Now gives us money for the show. Blech. Telling her to stop talking while she was mumbling to herself double blech. Running her all over the field while he tried one task, then the other, then the other? Blech again. So he couldn't get the knot, did it occur to him to ask her for help? God what a tool his is. I'm glad that she's taking note of his behavior.

I was tickled to see Lyn and Karlyn's guy in Mongolia. He wrote about the encounter in his blog and it was making the rounds over the summer. That was fun to see. He's an American that was in Mongolia on a year long fellowship. I'll find the link later today and post it.

Errata, I've heard that the show is repeating on Outdoor Life Network on Monday's if you get that channel.

Gibbie

eta: Here's the link to the blog of the guy that Lyn and Karlyn picked up in Mongolia: http://snouts.typepad.com/snouts/2006/06/amazing_race.html

--------------------

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers
The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers

Wow. Bummer of an ending this week.

I was sorry to see Duke and Lauren go. I was hoping the penalty for Tom and Terry would take them out instead -- not that I have anything against them, but I don't really have anything for them yet, either. With Duke and Lauren, there was an emotional hook and a story, and I'm not getting that from Tom and Terry yet.

It was almost as painful wondering if Dave and Mary were going to make it -- definitely want them to continue on a week or two. I'm sort of grimly amused wondering which is going to be the more debilitating injury -- Mary's twisted ankle, or Sarah's leaking hydraulic fluid. [Smile] (At least Peter didn't come across as so much of a jerk this week...)

I suspect the editing was critical to keeping some suspense in this week's episode. (Though of course, that's hardly unusual.) People seemed to be taking forever at the coal-crushing task; but when Tom and Terry, in second place, got their half-hour penalty, how many teams slipped in front of them? Was it all the rest of the ones on that task? I thought so, and that would imply less than a 30-minute spread between second and 8th place. I think they probably deliberately tried to make it look like Duke and Lauren did the birdcage task faster than they did, so it wouldn't be completely obvious they were coming in behind.

It's interesting, though: I don't really dislike any of these people -- but I wonder if that makes it less compelling. In the last couple of series that I've watched, I had people I was rooting for and against. This time...well, I kind of want them all to do well, and can't feel good when anyone messes up or is eliminated. (Again, at least not yet. From the previews, the episode coming up may changet that a bit.) The recapper over at Television Without Pity has been gushing about how wonderful it is not to have any extremely annoying people -- but I wonder how that will wind up reflected in the ratings? People like having someone to root for and against. I'm wondering if I will find this season less compelling for that reason.

--------------------

Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers The Amazing Spoilers

I think there's annoying people. [Smile] I hate Peter. Hate hate hate hate him. He can go home anytime. And I thought he came off as a huge jerk and he whined at Sarah for going slow,(hello twit, the leg your company built is broken), snatched the clue out of Kimberly's hand at the prison, humphed and sighed that he had to wait his turn for one, and most jerkily let Sarah *crawl* through the rice paddy while he sprinted on ahead of her. Damn, it's not like he could check in first, he had to wait for her to get there to hit the mat. Couldn't he have at least walked behind her to make sure she didn't fall in the paddy or something? Assuming he couldn't actually piggy back her. Contrast that to David who's always right beside Mary making sure she's keeping up and tending to her ankle. (Can you tell I really hate Peter). We can keep Sara though, she's ok, though sometimes the perk grates.

Rob and Kimberly can go home to, though, I can empathize. In the previews she has a meltdown in the boat and it's a completel out of control caused on. I can so relate to that. One of the many reasons that I could never go on a show like this. I'd reach a point and the whole world would get to see me in full out hissy fit melt down and it wouldn't be pretty. Simply because after several weeks of running completely out of control and completely out of my comfort zone, I'd break.

Tom and Terry came in second and wound up 8th. So yea, everyone was separated by minutes. The one thing we don't know was how far behind Duke and Lauren were. It was implied that it was pretty soon after Tom and Terry checked in, but I'm not sure it was. The other thing I'm unclear about is how long people were wandering around looking for the fuel detour. It looked like Mary and David had been there a while working on it but the later arriving people caught up and passed them while doing it. Either there wasn't that much seperation or David and Mary were working the task pretty slow. They need to step it up a bit.

Gibbie

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:
...I suspect the editing was critical to keeping some suspense in this week's episode. (Though of course, that's hardly unusual.) People seemed to be taking forever at the coal-crushing task; but when Tom and Terry, in second place, got their half-hour penalty, how many teams slipped in front of them? Was it all the rest of the ones on that task? I thought so, and that would imply less than a 30-minute spread between second and 8th place. I think they probably deliberately tried to make it look like Duke and Lauren did the birdcage task faster than they did, so it wouldn't be completely obvious they were coming in behind...

I've suspect, since maybe the second season, that there is often some liberal editing going on to make things seem much closer then they really are, especially in the race not to be the last team. I think that's why they try to make the pit stops early in the afternoon, so that the difference in team times isn't evidenced by the setting sun.

I was sorry to see Duke and Lauren go. I've always been a sucker for the father/dauther teams, even if Duke appeared to be a total douche-bag to his daugther at times. I was hoping that he would come to accept her, sexual orientation and all, by the end of the race.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've suspect, since maybe the second season, that there is often some liberal editing going on to make things seem much closer then they really are, especially in the race not to be the last team. I think that's why they try to make the pit stops early in the afternoon, so that the difference in team times isn't evidenced by the setting sun.
Beach, I have thought so, too. That's why it is SO fun to see two teams pull up at the pit stop and actually have to RACE to get there first! (I can't remember which season that is vividly sticking out to me when that happened - six maybe??) Nonetheless, I am hooked on this show forever!

quote:

I think there's annoying people. [Smile] I hate Peter. Hate hate hate hate him. He can go home anytime.

Me too! I hate too be against this team because I do like Sara after all, but I can't stand the way he treats her! Like you, I was disgusted the he was completely ignoring her walking to the pit stop.

I would have to say right now I am rooting for the single moms!

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by justusfour:
...Beach, I have thought so, too. That's why it is SO fun to see two teams pull up at the pit stop and actually have to RACE to get there first! (I can't remember which season that is vividly sticking out to me when that happened - six maybe??) Nonetheless, I am hooked on this show forever!...

It happened several times either last season or the season before, and I totally love that as well. It would be great to see the finale work that way as well, but I can only remember once or twice where it was that close. The one that sticks in my mind was the second season (I think) where they finished in San Francisco).

--------------------

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:

Is it cheating to steal someone's spoiler typing? Yep, I can be that lazy.

Peter has totally made me eat my words from the first episode. I am also in the group that think his a dill. I am loving Kentucky. I really hope that they manage to stay for a couple more weeks. I have to admit, that when they were driving and he was talking about his dad then Mary nagged him to drive faster, made me both groan and giggle.

I loved Edwin and Godwin's moment of silence. When it was revealed that the teams were going in the Hanoi Hilton, my first thought was "I really hope noone does something stupid and piss me off." I would have had a really hard time walking through there in search of a clue without giving the men who had been there their due respect.

I still think that this has been an very hard beginning. No money? yikes.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages