snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Exceptions to things you hate (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Exceptions to things you hate
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For instance, I despise, loath, would rather scoop out my ovaries with a rusted spoon than watch - romantic comedies! Blugh.

That said, one of my favorite movies of all time is Romancing the Stone. I know! WTF? I don't get either.

So, that's mine. What are yours? I doesn't have to be limited to movies, of course. Music, games, TV, whatever. I figure, if it's good enough for you guys to like it, despite the loathsome category, maybe I'll enjoy it too.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically it seems that every show I really hate has one episode that I enjoy. For instance I love the Friends episode "The One Where No One Is Ready."

"In the words of the A.A. Milne 'Get out my chair, dillhole!'"

"Joey why can't you wear the underwhere you're wearing now?"
"'Cause I'm not wearing any underwear."
"Then why do you have to wear underwear tonight?"
"It's a rented tux. You don't go 'commando' in another man's fatigues!"

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no! Far too stressful.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely loathe the wasteland known as pop music (particularly that brand of teenybop bubblegum stuff that all preteen girls are supposed to, by law, enjoy and consume by the bucketload, and that the rest of us view as a blight on civilization as a whole). That being said, for some mystifying unknown reason, I really like the song "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. Not only mystifying, but also embarrassing in some circles.

Talk about WTF!?!?!

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate country music in general, but I love Honky-Tonk Bedonka-however-you-spell-it. I'm just po' white trash at heart.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hate it when a series I really like, suddenly turns up with a depressing and unsetteling storyline or twist that totally changes the mood of the series until I really can't enjoy it anymore. Strangly enough I enjoy movies which suddenly change moods or has a twist at the end.

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't stand watching sports but love watching baseball.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hmmm.. this is hard. I hate ESPN, but I love that they have Cheap seats, a show that somehow makes sports more tolerable

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I generally hate reality shows and refuse to watch them on principle, but I have to admit I kind of got into Amish in the City.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't stand televised sports. This becomes a point of contention between my husband and I around this time of year as I can't comprehend how an intelligent, kind, non-toilet-seat-leaving-up man can become a stereotypical football-watching guy. I hate to admit it, but it lowers my opinion of him somewhat to see him sitting around watching sports for hours on end.

Anyway, to get to the point, despite my at best indifference and at worst loathing for sports, I adore the Olympics. I have also been known to watch the Tour de France and the World Cup (especially this year because I was in Rome when Italy qualified for the finals); there is something about watching so many nations coming together and living their dream that intrigues and fascinates me.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like scary movies but I do like Poltergeist. At least the first one anyhow.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too feel like I'm forced to give up all womanhood when I admit I don't like romantic comedies...all of them...except "When Harry Met Sally" which I absolutely adore.
Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate Jim Carrey movies... except Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I hate Tim Allen movies... except for Galaxy Quest.

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate Britney spears. Love her song "Stronger".

Hate romantic comedies. Love "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

Hate scary films. Love "Wait Until Dark."

Maybe I just like Audrey Hepburn. [lol]

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate watching actual sports but I LOVE movies about sports. Golf movies, football movies, baseball movies, boxing movies, horseracing movies (is that a sport?). There have been fewer basketball movies, that I can think of, than the others, but I like them too.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
I hate Jim Carrey movies... except Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

That's because Eternal Sunshine is not a Jim Carrey movie. Sure, it stars Jim Carrey, but its not a 'Jim Carrey movie(TM)'

Out of interest have you seen 'The Trueman Show' which is somewhere between your typical 'Jim Carrey Movie (TM)' and something like Eternal Sunshine. (I certainly know a lot of people for whom it was their 'exception')

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no fan of country music, but I'll make exceptions, and have been known to sing along to "Help Me Make It through the Night" and Gentleman Jim Reeves's "He'll Have to Go."

Mrs. from Georgia and I went up to Nashville last weekend to sign books and mingle with mystery writers, and we took time off to go through the Country Music Hall of Fame. She's a lot bigger fan of C/W than I am. It was kinda fun rambling through and listening to the prerecorded spiels describing the evolution of C/W. Of course, I started to make up my own:

"The classic hillbilly love song just might have begun in 1922 with Lean Luke Passum's 'You Ain't Inbred Enough fer Me'.... In the early fifties, Bossy O'Toole had an unexpectedly big crossover hit with 'Would You Go to Bed with a Fool? (And if So, Blu-blu-blu-blllah)'....A defiant Tapeworm Tom and the Alabama Rovers flung their credo in the face of America with 'If They Ain't No Hills in Heaven, this Billy's Goin' to Hell...."

I kept on until my wife hit me.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
I generally hate reality shows and refuse to watch them on principle, but I have to admit I kind of got into Amish in the City.

In the same vein, I hate reality TV, but absolutely loved both Beauty and the Geek and Who Wants To Be A Superhero

I also don't like Ashton Kuthcer, but loved The Butterfly Effect and as mentioned above Beauty and the Geek. Although I think Mr. Kutcher's name was just on B&G, and he didn't actually have much to do with the actual show.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate and fear prison yet I can't get enough prison movies and documentaries.

And I'm another one who can't stand reality shows but I loved Who Wants to be a Superhero and the first season of Joe Schmoe (if you can count that one)

I also hate the current trend of PG-13 horror movies yet I loved The Ring.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I despise country music... and can listen to Willie Nelson for hours.

I hate rap... and have all of Eminem's CDs.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another non-sports fan, but I do love the Winter Olympics! (Couldn't care less about the summer which is a shame considering we hosted one)

You just never know what's going to happen during the Winter Olympics - Jamaican bobsledders, inadvertant backwards bobsledders, knee-bashing, tacky outfits,and sometimes spectacular wipeouts!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate,hate,hate Madonna, but I love Hung Up.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate hate hate rap, but love "Rappers Delight"
Maybe because it's one of the originals.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate romantic movies or movies that have romance incorporated into them. I despise them. Actually, there are no words to describe how much I hate them. It really irks me to no end how most movies have to have the "good guy wins in the end and gets his girl."

Errf...I just want to see Steven Segal kick Kris Kristofferson's ass. I couldn't care less about his romance with Marge Helgenberger.

However, for some unknown reason, I really liked Ever After

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Violent horror films freak me out, especially when they involve disembowelment.

That said, I loved Dog Soldiers.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like Johnny Vagas unless he's in a costume drama.

As a comedian he just seems to be a wino who's wondered on stage when the booked act didn't turn up.

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate heavy metal, like Metallica in moderate doses.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James G.:
Out of interest have you seen 'The Truman Show' which is somewhere between your typical 'Jim Carrey Movie (TM)' and something like Eternal Sunshine. (I certainly know a lot of people for whom it was their 'exception')

And now you know another. I believe that Jim Carrey comes closest to being an acceptable human being when the director keeps him on a very, very, very short leash.

I also agree with Grumpy about Tim Allen and Galaxy Quest.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mormegil
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mormegil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like sports at all, but will watch the Olympics and some sports movies.

I hate the Spice Girls but like a couple of their songs, to my shame.

I hate boy bands but also like "I want it that way" although I like even more the parody "I want a fat babe." It's the tune I like, not the stupid lyrics.

Posts: 44 | From: San Bruno, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree about Tim Allen and Galexy Quest.

I agree about televised sports and the Olympics.

I don't like Country, but I don't mind Johnny Cash.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been much for horror movies or vampire stories but you will be hard pressed to find a more dedicated Buffy fan than me.

I hate mashed potatos unless they are really really lumpy.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hate hate hate rap, but love "Rappers Delight"
Maybe because it's one of the originals.

Same here, along with some other "old school" rap songs. I also don't mind some of Eminem's work.

I don't really care for mayo, except in potato salad and tuna salad.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate raisens unless they are in cereal. I don't know why that is.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice of you to broaden the topic, VB. On that note, let me say that I always hated fish... except for canned tuna and smoked salmon (though I haven't had either in years).

For the record, I haven't seen The Truman Show yet.

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 99 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
I hate raisens unless they are in cereal. I don't know why that is.

[lol] Me too!

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages