snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Besides the singer, does anyone else have the name Elvis? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Besides the singer, does anyone else have the name Elvis?
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never met or heard of anyone else having the name Elvis. Did his folks make it up or do others exist.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis the skater (but I believe he was named for Elvis the singer).

Seaboe

ETA link to Baby Names database.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site has some info.
quote:
The boy's name Elvis is pronounced EL-viss. It is of Scandinavian origin, and its meaning is "all-wise." Brought into prominence by the late singer/actor Elvis Presley. World champion skater Elvis Stojko; football player Elvis Grbac.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 82 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, my cousin.
Does that count? I highly doubt he was named for the singer as his parents (my grandparents) were from Costa Rica (but, hey, you never know).

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew an Elvis Roberts. But since his middle name was "Presley," he was probably named for the singer.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew an Elvis, he would be older than Presley if he were still alive... he went by El.
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
This site has some info.
quote:
The boy's name Elvis is pronounced EL-viss. It is of Scandinavian origin, and its meaning is "all-wise." Brought into prominence by the late singer/actor Elvis Presley. World champion skater Elvis Stojko; football player Elvis Grbac.

And, if you look farther down the page it has a chart showing the relative popularity of the name back to about 1900.

BTW, Geminilee, I spanked you with the same site and everything!

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend as a child who had a brother named Elvis.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the social security site for tracking name popularity.
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
I imagine that the think baby names site is drawing from the SSN data.

It looks like it's been in the top 1000 for this entire century. There's a huge jump between 1955 and 1957. Elvis goes from being the 889th most popular name to the 312th most popular name. Other than that it's been rather constant.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I checked out the Ancestry.com index of the 1880 US Census. From the first page of results:

quote:
Name Birth Year BirthPlace
Elvis Taylor abt 1852 Alabama
Elvis Ranburn abt 1861 Alabama
Elvis Beasley abt 1876 Alabama
Elvis Foster abt 1852 Alabama
Elvis T. Haddock abt 1877 Arkansas
Elvis Alix abt 1872 Arkansas
Elvis Goble abt 1877 Arkansas
Elvis Spoon abt 1874 Arkansas
Elvis Mc Grew abt 1859 Arkansas
Elvis Roads abt 1865 Arkansas
Elvis Stadt abt 1841 BAVARIA
Elvis Morgan abt 1871 Florida
Elvis C. Hunter abt 1878 Kentucky
Elvis Kempton abt 1874 New Hampshire
Elvis A. White abt 1858 New York
Elvis Mattas abt 1879 New York
Elvis M. Jennings abt 1841 New York
Elvis Stweit abt 1878 New York
Elvis Purdorff abt 1858 New York
Elvis F. Green abt 1807 New York
Elvis Burchard abt 1848 New York
Elvis Rosenbery abt 1880 Pennsylvania
Elvis Cook abt 1872 Tennessee
Elvis Null abt 1857 Tennessee
Elvis Ridgeway abt 1870 Tennessee

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe no one listed the greatest Elvis ever,Elvis Gratton sti!

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Before anyone else brings it up, I'll just point out that Elvis Costello is the stage name of Ian Declan McManus, so he doesn't really count.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempura:
Before anyone else brings it up, I'll just point out that Elvis Costello is the stage name of Ian Declan McManus, so he doesn't really count.

Sniff. We already knew that. Why do you think he hasn't come up yet? Sniff.

[Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------

Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked with a guy whose older brother was named Elvis - the older brother was born around 1946, in eastern Canada, and long before Elvis was famous.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis Grbac was an NFL quarterback for several seasons.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dmason61
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmason61     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis Hester; Senior Pastor, Eagles Landing Church of God, Stockbridge, Georgia
Posts: 20 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mother of Nanaballis
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mother of Nanaballis         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend whose husband's name is Elvis. H was born in the late 30's. We used to tease her when he wasn't around "Elvis has left the building"...
Posts: 23 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a waiter at a Mexican restaurant named Elvis, fairly recently.

And Elvis was slow as all hell, too...

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a guy who works at the snack bar where I work whose name is 'Elvis.' He's of an age where he MIGHT have been named for EAP, but I really don't know.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis Peacock played football for OU and then pro ball for 3-4 years.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quink
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quink   E-mail Quink   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jarome Iginla's dad's name is Elvis. I seem to remember that Elivs is one of Jarome's 57 (okay, I think it's more like six) middle names, too.
Posts: 53 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crockett's alligator's name was Elvis.

Depending on the source alligators can grow as old as 75 or 100 years. So he probably was there before the singer

Ok, I know.... [fish]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Illuminatus:
Elvis Grbac was an NFL quarterback for several seasons.

And he got *no* respect out here, either.

Too bad. I finally realized what his problem was the last season he played. Jimmy Raye. Grbac could throw the ball, he just never had the chance. /hijack

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to school with a kid named Elvis, his brother's name was Rhett.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis,but he's a liar.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Statistics Norway, there are 63 men with Elvis as their first name, of which 49 has is as their only first name.

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my cats was named Elvis when we adopted him from his foster home [Smile]

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis,but he's a liar
and I'm not sure about you [Big Grin]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's supposed to be a place in Ireland called St. Elvis's Head.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to go to a church with an Elvis.

He's Hispanic, and didn't speak much English when I knew him, so I'm guessing he did not care about anyone's blue suede shoes.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like I remember seeing an old cartoon (Possibly a Foghorn Leghorn short, but it could have been some other cartoon with birds as characters) where one of the characters was named Elvis. The impression I got was that it was supposed to be a stereotypical Southern name. I'm not sure if the cartoon was made before or after Elvis Presley became fameous.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
quote:
There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis,but he's a liar
and I'm not sure about you [Big Grin]
Sorry, but someone was going to say it eventually. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have never met or heard of anyone else having the name Elvis. Did his folks make it up or do others exist.
Elvis Presley was given that first name because it was his father's middle name.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When Elvis was at the height of his popularity, quite a few kids in Scandinavia got named Elvis. They are generally embarrassed about it today...

As for the Scandinavian origins of the name, I have never heard about any Scandinavian named Elvis who was not named after the Presley guy.

A friend of mine uses the online moniker FatterThanElvis. Does that count?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempura:
...Elvis Costello is the stage name of Ian Declan McManus, so he doesn't really count.

Next you'll try to tell us that Elvis Hitler is a made-up name, too.
Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages