snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Jackie Mason sues Jews for Jesus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jackie Mason sues Jews for Jesus
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Story here.

quote:
Saying he's "as Jewish as a matzo ball or kosher salami," Jackie Mason filed a lawsuit against Jews for Jesus for using his name and likeness in a pamphlet.

The $2 million lawsuit seeks the immediate destruction of the pamphlet, which members of the missionary group have been handing out at various points around New York City.

"While I have the utmost respect for people who practice the Christian faith, the fact is, as everyone knows, I am as Jewish as a matzo ball or kosher salami," the 75-year-old comedian said in documents filed in state Supreme Court in Manhattan.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone besides me having fun reading his statement out loud, using the intonation that he's famous for?

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am now. Thanks Jay!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, for one thing, shouldn't they have had permission to use his name and likeness in material they published if they were implying some sort of endorsement? Legally, I mean? Seems like they are on thin ice.

Second thing is, practising Jews can get REAL het up about "Jews for Jesus", they find it offensive, and I can see their point. My mom is Jewish and she says if you believe in the divinity of Jesus you are a CHRISTIAN and not a Jew. (religiously speaking. You could be an ethnic Jew and yet practise any religion you want) But many Jews would really like Jews for Jesus to call themselves something else.

And I loves me some Jackie Mason. Oi.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempura:
Is anyone besides me having fun reading his statement out loud, using the intonation that he's famous for?

Why yes, yes I am. [Smile]

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Susan Perlman, a spokeswoman for Jews for Jesus, said the pamphlet was "good-natured."

"Shame on him for getting so upset about this," she said Friday.

I wonder if Ms Perlman would be so cavalier if her image were used on, say, a good-natured NAMBLA flyer.

Shame on people for wanting to have control over their image and name.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
I wonder if Ms Perlman would be so cavalier if her image were used on, say, a good-natured NAMBLA flyer.

Shame on people for wanting to have control over their image and name.

::Canuckistan makes note to remove AnglRdr's face from the Republicans for Glurge flyers::

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Second thing is, practising Jews can get REAL het up about "Jews for Jesus", they find it offensive, and I can see their point. My mom is Jewish and she says if you believe in the divinity of Jesus you are a CHRISTIAN and not a Jew. (religiously speaking. You could be an ethnic Jew and yet practise any religion you want) But many Jews would really like Jews for Jesus to call themselves something else.

In addition to that issue, the fact that Jews for Jesus proselytizes Jews, encouraging them to convert to Christianity, is in itself troubling to some Jews for historical reasons. The specific tactics they sometimes use (like this pamphlet) are another issue. My ex-h had several encounters with their street proselytizers in NYC in the 1980s that left him furious.

Slight hijack: I can't search for a cite on this now, but I recall an incident when Yaphet Kotto (who is Jewish) was involved in an incident with Jews for Jesus or a similar group while filming Homicide on location in Baltimore. Does anybody else remember that?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Valnurana
Tekka my Heart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valnurana     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I get "het up" when a Christian disguises him or herself as a Jew to try to lure my children from Judaism. But it is up to me as a parent to ensure my children understand what Judaism is and what it means so they can tell the difference for themselves.

More underhanded,they lure new immigrants from countries without religious freedom. Fooling them into thinking they are discovering their Jewishness when in fact they are being led to Christianity by lies and deception. It seems to me if they truly beleive in Jesus and what he stands for they would not feel the need to lie about it. There are certainly enough Christians out there who do.

If you believe in "Christ" you are a "Christian." This is not that complicated.

--------------------
If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?

Posts: 4 | From: Great Mills, MD | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the boards, Valnurana. Let's set aside the underhanded tactics being used. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those Jews who do not also profess to be Christian believe that a Messiah will come one day; it just wasn't the man called Jesus. Let's suppose that you're right and we Christians are wrong. If the Messiah that you await were to come today, wouldn't those Jews who correctly believe that he's the Messiah still be Jewish?

--------------------

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, but they still wouldn't believe in Jesus Christ.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Valnurana
Tekka my Heart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valnurana     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not all Jews beleive in the coming of a Messiah. It is a belief of many ultra-orthodox and charismatic sects, but it is not really a main-stream idea.

Most Jews I know leave the mysticism to G-d. We just try to live the best we can here and now. We have enough tzuris (trouble) with what we can control.

As my father so aptly put it - Is there a heaven? Well, someday we'll find out, or we won't. If we don't, we won't care.

PS - thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for a while and I finally took the plunge.

--------------------
If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?

Posts: 4 | From: Great Mills, MD | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Of course, but they still wouldn't believe in Jesus Christ.

My point, though, was that believing that the Messiah has arrived, whoever he may be, does not logically disqualify one from being a Jew. (And since "Christ" is simply a transliteration of the Greek word for Messiah, the word Christian would be as logical a name for his followers as it is for followers of Jesus.)

quote:
Originally posted by Valnurana:
Most Jews I know leave the mysticism to G-d. We just try to live the best we can here and now. We have enough tzuris (trouble) with what we can control.

Funny you should use that description. The only place I've heard it before was an episode of Murphy Brown where Murphy was looking for something she could teach her son about death, and Miles said basically the same thing. He added, "We're sort of like the Unitarians that way." I guess they did their research!

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, it doesn't. After all, presumably the disciples remained Jewish, hence a great deal of Paul's discussion about Judaizing. And the name "Christian" is said to have begun as an insult. However, it now has so much baggage associated with it that it seems very unlikely to me that the coming of the Messiah would lead to Jews calling themselves "Christians." In fact, they'd probably just be called "right."

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Valnurana:

Funny you should use that description. The only place I've heard it before was an episode of Murphy Brown where Murphy was looking for something she could teach her son about death, and Miles said basically the same thing. He added, "We're sort of like the Unitarians that way." I guess they did their research!
There were probably one or two Jews around the set they could ask. [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the suit is a tiny bit ironic, coming from someone who does not use their real name.

Secondly the problem with Jews for Jesus is that within strict Jewish law, many are Jewish. Lacking a central authority, real Jewish people (not to mince words) cannot definitively exclude JfJ from the pool of adherents to the Jewish faith.

It is a trick, exploiting a loophole in an ancient faith.

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thanks for putting that in my head!

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Archangel:
I think the suit is a tiny bit ironic, coming from someone who does not use their real name.

It's the name by which he has been known throughout his career. It is, in effect, his "brand." What's ironic about him wanting to protect it?

Their using his name and image (or is that not his real face?) without his permission, implying his endorsement of their organization, would be inappropriate even aside from the issue of whether or not people who accept Christ are Jewish.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages