snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » New Weird Al cd coming soon!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Weird Al cd coming soon!
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*dances* yay! Parodies of Usher, Green Day, Taylor Hicks, R. Kelly.

New Weird Al cd

ETA: The first single from this CD will be available on Al's MySpace on August 21st.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gotta wonder what he's doing for the Hicks parody. I haven't heard a Hicks song on the radio, so I'm thinking either it's "Takin' It to the Streets" or Al is doing one of those songs that parodies a style rather than a specific song ("Dog Eat Dog").

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been waiting for this CD for so long! I hope he tours soon and comes to Chicago. We saw him when he was touring for Poodle Hat, it was great! (and my sister and dad saw him when the was touring a few years before that...)

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't wait, either! If he does come to Chicago, I will be there, too!

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
I've been waiting for this CD for so long! I hope he tours soon and comes to Chicago. We saw him when he was touring for Poodle Hat, it was great! (and my sister and dad saw him when the was touring a few years before that...)

Hey yeah, I went to his Poodle Hat concert at Navy Pier. It was a good show.

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awsome! Anyone click over to the main site and listen to "Your Pitiful?" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank Buz there's a music video this time. I was so annoyed that he didn't get the chance to do a video for his last album. His videos are SO choice.

(Proud owner of the DVD--can you tell?)

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Macheath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The cd was originally supposed to be out in June. If it had made the original release date Al would have already been on tour promoting it. Because of record company politics things were delayed, and now we have to wait another year for a tour. Boo to record company politics, says I.

Mack da "pitiful" Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that the creator of Ren and Stimpy did a video for him. I'm guessing it'll be on a dvd

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
muse
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 104 posted      Profile for muse     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am actually listening to a copy of the CD as I write this! I was able to get an advanced copy because of where I work.

I am excited he's coming out with new material, I saw him years ago on his Running With Scissors Tour.

I'm not sure if the songlist is available yet, but here it is if you are curious. Let me know if you want to know what the exact parodies are. Get pumped!!

1. White & Nerdy
2. Pancreas
3. Canadian Idiot
4. I'll Sue Ya
5. Polkarama!
6. Virus Alert
7. Confessions Part III
8. Weasel Stomping Day
9. Close But No Cigar
10. Do I Creep You Out
11. Trapped In The Drive Thru
12. Don't Download This Song

I think "Don't Download This Song" is the first single, just because it came separately as well.

The CD is hilarious.

Posts: 7 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't wait to hear the polka songs.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firelynn:
I am actually listening to a copy of the CD as I write this! I was able to get an advanced copy because of where I work.

I am excited he's coming out with new material, I saw him years ago on his Running With Scissors Tour.

I'm not sure if the songlist is available yet, but here it is if you are curious. Let me know if you want to know what the exact parodies are. Get pumped!!

1. White & Nerdy
2. Pancreas
3. Canadian Idiot
4. I'll Sue Ya
5. Polkarama!
6. Virus Alert
7. Confessions Part III
8. Weasel Stomping Day
9. Close But No Cigar
10. Do I Creep You Out
11. Trapped In The Drive Thru
12. Don't Download This Song

I think "Don't Download This Song" is the first single, just because it came separately as well.

The CD is hilarious.

*is jealous*

Okay, now I'm curious as to what parody goes with which song.

ETA: It's also a good idea to shop around. I was at Borders tonight and they want $20 for the cd. His site will let you preorder it for $13.95, and the shipping is decent too. I think Best Buy had it for $16.95

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing "Do I Creep You Out" is a parody of Taylor Hicks' "Do I Make You Proud." I am so getting that one for the wife, who dubbed him Creepy Old Guy. Obviously, "Confessions Part III" is the Usher parody.

ETA: The website says, "NOTE: Because this is a pre-order, you must complete this CD purchase separately from your other purchases, or they will all ship at the end of September." Wake me up when September ends. (Did I guess another parody correctly?)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
I can't wait to hear the polka songs.

And there's a sentence you will never hear again in any other context except this one.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
muse
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muse     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. "White & Nerdy" is a parody of "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire. (They see me rollin/They hatin/
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty/ is now they see me mowin/my front lawn/i know they are all thinkin' im too white and nerdy)

2. I have no idea what Pancreas parodies, maybe it's an original? It sounds Beach Boys-ish.

3. Canadian Idiot is a parody of "American Idiot" by Green Day. ( Well maybe I'm the f----- America/I'm not a part of a redneck agenda/Now everybody do the propaganda/And sing along in the age of paranoia is now Well maple syrup and snow is what they export/they treat curling like it's a real sport/they think their silly accent is so cute/can't understand a thing they're talking aboot)

4. "I'll Sue Ya" sounds like a rock song with heavy electric guitars and I can't think of the original song, but it sounds so familiar! It's like "Sue, Sue, that's what I'm gonna do! ugh!"

5. The polka has "Let's Get It Started" by The Black Eyed Peas, "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand, "Beverly Hills" by Weezer, "Speed Of Sound" by Coldplay, "Float On" by Modest Mouse, "Feel Good, Inc." by the Gorillaz, "Don't Cha" by the Pussycat Dolls, "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers, "Slither" by Velvet Revolver, "Candyshop" by 50 Cent, "Drop It Like It's Hot" by Snoop Dogg, "Pon de Replay" by Rihanna, and "Gold Digger" by Kanye West.

6. I have no idea about "Virus Alert. Lots of high-pitched pianos and guitars.

7. "Confessions Part III" is a parody of "Confessions Part 2" by Usher: Now this gon' be the hardest thing I think I ever had to do/
Got me talkin' to myself askin' how I'm gon' tell you/'bout that chick on part 1 I told ya'll I was creepin' with, creepin' with/Said she's 3 months pregnant and she's keepin' it/The first thing that came to mind was you/Second thing was how do I know if it's mine and is it true/Third thing was me wishin' that I never did what I did/How I ain't ready for no kid and bye bye to our relationship is now
Now this goin' to be the hardest thing I think I ever had to do/going to tell you everything i left out of Parts I & II/Like remember when I told you I knew Pauly Shore, Pauly Shore/That's a lie I don't know what I said that for/I borrowed your chapstick from you without asking/and oh I tried out your nosetrimmer too/and by the way your diamond ring is cubic zurconium/I killed your goldfish accidently/just replaced it with another one

8. Weasel Stomping Day is an original, I'm pretty sure.

9. Close But No Cigar - i'm not sure either. Cool horns though. It has the same feel as that "stuck in the middle with you" song, but it's not parodying it.

10. "Do I Creep You Out" is a parody of "Do I Make You Proud" by Taylor Hicks

This what we dream about/but the only question with me now/Is do I make you proud/Stronger than I've ever been Now/Never been afraid of standing out/But do I make you proud
is now:
You're the one I dream about/But the only question with me now is/Do I creep you out/Everytime I shake your hand now/Want to stick your fingers in my mouth/Do I creep you out?

11. "Trapped In The Drive Thru" is a parody of "Trapped In The Closet" by R. Kelly. It's SO funny and 10 minutes long.

12. "Don't Download This Song" sounds like "We Are the World"

Don't Download This Song/The Record store's where you belong/Go buy and the CD like you know that you should/Oh don't download this song

Anyway...the album's fun and the lyrics witty. Enjoy.

Posts: 7 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been waiting forever for his new cd! *throws confetti* [dunce]

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Coldplay in Polka? Sweet!

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, Last album had "Genius in France," this one has "Canadian Idiot."

Go, Al! [lol]

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Six videos? Awesome! I'm so glad that there will be videos this time around. And that track list sounds great.

Is it sad when this is the only album I can actually say I've looked forward to all year? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, a new song for making fun of Canadians! I love you Al.

Firelynn, about half of Weird Al's parodies are actually "style parodies," which aren't a parody of a specific song but the style of another artist. Sometimes he does a specific song's style when he targets an artist (Germs/Closer), sometimes he blends a few songs (Mr. Popeil/B-52s). The style parodies also normally alternate tracks with the direct parodies on the album, so if you can't pinpoint an exact song and it's following a parody, it's probably a style parody. This is the first album he's crediting the inspirations for the style parodies, so I imagine the real die-hards (*shuffles away*) will be pinpointing the exact songs/genres quite soon.

I just got the Weird Al Show DVD, that shall have to sate me until the new album.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You have no idea how much I have to explain that Genius In France is the best tribute to Frank Zappa I've ever heard. Mostly as people seem to think Frank Zappa only recorded one song - Valley Girl - in some sort of twisted, J.D. Salinger-type way. And that's when I have to hurt them.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first single is out - "Don't Download this Song." I can't stop laughing at it - he's DEAD ON.

Oh, and the first video will be premiering on Yahoo at 10PST on the 22nd (technically today!).

--------------------

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anpan Rebochan:
The first single is out - "Don't Download this Song." I can't stop laughing at it - he's DEAD ON.

Oooh, cool! Where can I download it?

Well, right here, actually.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just went to MySpace and listened to the new single. I couldn't stop laughing. Once again, the man hits the nail on the head. I can't wait to hear the rest of them.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

That's awesome!

--------------------

Good King Wal-Mart

Whoops, sorry about forgetting the link. Thanks for correcting it, E.Q.

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically, it makes me want to buy the album even more. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 106 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, watched the video on yahoo videos today, and I think I'll have to watch it again. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It's very different from anything else he's done. It's all in animation.

Anyone who wants to see it can go here.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Out of the Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:

Hey yeah, I went to his Poodle Hat concert at Navy Pier. It was a good show.
Wow, small world! I was at that concert too... [Eek!]
I remember walking to Navy Pier from the garage, I heard someone blasting music in their car and singing along-- then suddenly I realized the song was "Albuquerque" ! [lol] That's the first time I've ever heard anyone blasting a Weird Al song, it was great... The concert was awesome and it was such a nice night weather-wise.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

I went ot his poodle hat concert. It was great. Although the wind made it impossible for Al to show videos on a big screen, he still performed his all.

--------------------

Macheath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw him in concert shortly after the death of his parents. When that tragedy happened my friends and I all thought he would cancel his tour so that he could deal with his loss (and of course we all would understand that decision). When he announced he would continue his tour after missing only a couple of shows, we were all floored. At the Atlanta show the atmosphere was very odd; there was a huge outpouring of sympathy from the crowd, and he opened the show with a projected message dedicating the performance to his parents. It was actually very moving. I think the audience was even more appreciative than normal, and he still put on an amazing show despite the pain he was surely feeling.

I don't know the man, but I'd like to think his decision to finish the tour was made as a tribute to his family and as an appreciative gesture to his fans.

Mack da Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

I remeber thinking, "Wow he's holding up pretty good after what happened."

I remember reading his message to his fans. He said he will continue touring to take his mind off his pain.

--------------------

Good King Wal-Mart

I saw two shows on the Poodle Hat tour - one fairly early in, and one after his parents passed away. Outside of the somber screen that dedicated the performance to his parents, he was incredibly active.

Oh, but don't get me started on Weird Al concerts or this thread is going to get ridiculously long as the little teenage girl inside of me subsumes my conciousness and gushes on and on about Al-sama.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages