snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » 'Pac-Man' is going digital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Pac-Man' is going digital
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest game of the '70s and '80s to get digital is Pac-Man, which joins such classics as Frogger and Galaga on Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade, which lets users digitally download and own the games. Cost: about $5 for Xbox 360 owners.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-08-07-pacman-digital_x.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I miss the good old days of Analog Pac-Man.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, you can play it for free on a much cheaper XBox by using XMAME (assuming of course that you own the original game, otherwise it's illegal).

And it's always been digital...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
And it's always been digital...

Untrue! Back in the day Pac-Man was as analog as you could get! The ghost monsters were real ghosts that the owner trapped inside a pinball machine! Pac-"Man" was actually a guinea pig and the object was to get him to eat all the little tiny cheese wedges by slapping on the sides of the machine (ah, yes! There was no "TILT" function in Analog Pac-Man) before being frightened to death by the ghosts! Periodically small pieces of fruit would appear in the center and if the pig ate them you would get extra bonus points!

But no, you little whippersnappers and your X-Box and your series of tubes that comprise the Internet, you don't know the love that is scaring the bejeesus out of South American rodentia. They say the kids today are smarter but I'll believe it when I see them put a gorilla on the top of a building that is under construction and then try to get to the top themselves. Few people know this but when you put a gorilla on top of a building it will throw barrels all over the place. Something to do with the rooting instinct. But that's another rant for another time.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know two facts about Pac Man which make me love it.

1) The creator wanted to make a game for girls, so thought "what do girls like to do?". The answer he came up with? Eat.

2) The original name was "Puck Man", however it was found that, with yellow writing on a black background, it was easy to use a black marker pen to deface part of the "P", so that it said something entirely different.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
2) The original name was "Puck Man", however it was found that, with yellow writing on a black background, it was easy to use a black marker pen to deface part of the "P", so that it said something entirely different.
Well, at least that would have become something that women really likes to do...

Actually, there is a clone/bootleg version of Pac Man that's called Puck Man.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Nah, Puck Man was the original Japanese version. There's a thread about it in the Entertainment ULs section right now. I'd link to it but I'm too lazy.

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Analog Pacman:
http://www.pacmanhattan.com/about.php

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thread about Pacman's name.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages