snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Films to Test a Prospective Relationship (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Films to Test a Prospective Relationship
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kev- I thought the opening on Ghost Ship was one of the greatest horror scenes ever on film. Unfortunately the rest of the movie didn't live up to the expectations set by the first scene.

Star Wars was one of the movies that had to be liked for the longest time. Now I'm married so all that doesn't matter so much, but yes, he does like Star Wars.

In general I just like people who like movies. I watch a lot of em and like to be able to discuss them.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't think of a specific movie that would be a clear indicator one way or another, but a guy who wants to fast-forward through any romance/deep character exploration to get to the next explosion, gunfight, or car chase would be right out. I like films with a little of everything and I want to watch all of it.

Besides, that would be just like watching a movie with my father. [Razz]

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sexy Sadie
Newsqueak

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy Sadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ryda, I have to say that were I in your then-SO's shoes, I'd have proposed. Of all the things that I've had yelled in my face, I think "IT'S JUST A MOVIE!" is the one I've gotten the most of. [Razz]

If a prospect is willing to sit with me for an Almodovar marathon, I'd say they're a pretty good bet. Bonus points if they don't speak Spanish, because I don't think I'd get along well in a relationship with someone who will not consider seeing a movie with subtitles. Not a deal-breaker, because I understand that some people just don't do well with subtitles, but when someone refuses to see a movie simply because it's subtitled, it baffles me.

Passing along another story I've heard- someone once told me (completely forgetting who at the moment) that when he's watching Goodfellas with a girlfriend in the early stages of a relationship, he pauses at the part where Henry asks Karen to hide the gun and asks the girl if she would do that for him. If she says no, it's over. [Eek!]

--------------------
Look, if it's about that decapitation thing I'm sorry!

Posts: 32 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
Personally, and no offense to you this is just my taste, I probably would've nearly broke up with you too. [Razz] I mean, it's Armageddon! Big boomy things and heavy music! Not that those kinds of movies are necessarily all that great (and Armageddon was only "okay" as far as big action flicks go). But a deep character study or an "intelligent look at the relationship that exists between the oppression of women and the degradation of nature" it was not.

From a cultural studies point of view, literature such as allegedly brain-dead action flicks is some of the richest fodder for analysis. Things that are meant to be purely entertainment with no artistic merit are like the cultural subconscious.

Like Ryda, I derive much pleasure from the literary analysis of pretty much every piece of culture I consume, from hair metal to action movies to Hemingway. And like Ryda, I would need a partner who could at least listen or smile and nod, if not actually engage in the analysis with me.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My main contention was the analysis she tried to make, i.e. the one of ecofeminism, in relationship to Armageddon. That, IMO, is pushing the boundaries of fun analysis out the window and going into "I'm just thinking stuff up with no real reason." territory. [Wink]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I fell asleep half-way during Armageddon. I mean, if you are going to force me to turn off my brain for that long, atleast provide me with some low-brow humor to concentrate on.

quote:
My main contention was the analysis she tried to make, i.e. the one of ecofeminism, in relationship to Armageddon. That, IMO, is pushing the boundaries of fun analysis out the window and going into "I'm just thinking stuff up with no real reason." territory. [Wink]

Not that it's a bad thing. Not much differrent from the parrallels I found in Matrix trilogy and Vedanta, and the parallels I found between the first part of Matrix and operating systems.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I tell a guy I watched movies like Metropolis (1927 German movie) and Battleship Potemkin (1925 Russia movie) for my own benefit (not for class or anyting) and doesn't think I'm weird, my opinion of him goes way up. He doesn't even have to watch the movies and like them. He just has to understand my watching them.
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:

Now, how a date acts during the viewing of the movie is altogether different! If he feels compelled to chatter and explain the action to me during the film, chances are really good he's history. [Mad]

I couldn't agree more. I went on a date once with a guy who interrupted dialogue to ask how I liked the movie so far. What kind of inane question is that? I understand if you missed something, or you have a really snappy remark that just has to come out, and you whisper it during a moment when nothing crucial is happening and none of the characters is speaking. But this transgression was unforgiveable. That habit of his was one of the reasons I stopped seeing him.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
Instant disqualifications are if they list amoung their favorite films:

Secretary

Funny, I've got a friend who tests out potential boyfriends by watching this with them. If it doesn't turn them on, then she's not interested.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ericsmom:
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but a lot of men I have dated referenced a scene in the movie "A Bronx Tale". I know it had something to do with opening up a car door. Since I never saw the movie I have no idea what they were talking about, though.

The "car door lock" test issue is also explored in Singles between Kyra Sedgwick and Campbell Scott.

Max "not in an Eddie Haskell kind of way" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm waiting for someone to come along who likes watching Disney movies (the good ones, not the direct-to-video ones) and singing along with the villains. Also good would be liking Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League (the cartoon made by the same guys who made BTAS). Liking Superman: The Animated Series is not necessary.

For those wondering, I don't usually watch any "serious" movies for the same reason I don't read "serious" literature: I experience books and movies very intensely and so most are very stressful for me: I will be physically and emotionally tired after any good drama, to the point where I will need several hours to recover. It even happens when I'm reading a book - I will have to put the book down, take deep breaths, and pace around for a little while before I can resume reading. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not something I like to experience often.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:

Secretary

Funny, I've got a friend who tests out potential boyfriends by watching this with them. If it doesn't turn them on, then she's not interested.
The internet personals site I use has a section to cite your favorite movie sex scenes. Having looked at hundreds of profiles, I can say with confidence that a HUGE percentage of single women out there, at least in Toronto, are into that movie big time, as I see it on almost every other profile.

I don't have any real deal-breakers, though since I'm a film school graduate I do get a bit overanalytical as a viewer. I loathe most romantic comedies, and I'm mystified why otherwise talented actresses like Meg Ryan and Sandra Bullock waste their time making the same freakin' movie over and over again. Any girl I go out with long-term has to have at least a basic tolerance of horror movies; I'm not saying "You have to love Audition," but I would maybe say Dawn Of The Dead (original version) or maybe Suspiria could be required viewings. At the other end of the spectrum, I probably wouldn't make it to a second date with a girl who professes endless boredom with Wings Of Desire.

Max "als das kind kind war..." Renn

--------------------
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not the world's biggest fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but if I were newly single, I would not date someone who didn't at least understand my references to it, like this quip I make from time to time:

quote:
I think they upgraded my computer last night. When I went to turn it off today, it said, "I can't let you do that, Jay."
Ah, well, at least we both enjoy the Bond films.

Jay "Mr. Bond, you defy all my attempts to plan an amusing death for you" Temple

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have you heard her analysis? If not how could you possibly come to that conclusion?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Secretary

Blech. I hated the way this film portrayed people in a BDSM lifestyle. No consent, no negotiation. It was like the vanilla, hetro male fantasy of what a 24/7 is like. Not to mention, they totally screwed the source text all to hell. The original story was great.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
quote:

Have you heard her analysis? If not how could you possibly come to that conclusion?
Hey, if you think mass culture has no bearing on our conscience, fine by me [Big Grin]

Trust me, the analysis is there. I just can't remember it all, and I'd have to watch the movie again and I REFUSE to do that.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
quote:
quote:

Secretary

The internet personals site I use has a section to cite your favorite movie sex scenes. Having looked at hundreds of profiles, I can say with confidence that a HUGE percentage of single women out there, at least in Toronto, are into that movie big time, as I see it on almost every other profile.
Yeah. It's pretty mainline sexuality, and totally conforms to that "cool" fantasy idea of BDSM without actually dealing with the reality of it. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's a popular choice. Although, I bet 90% of those people have never had a flogging in their life, and I seriously hope they'd sue the pants off of any boss who decided to start spanking them.

--------------------

bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Speaking for myself, I cannot even so much as hear the term "ecofeminism" without images of the sign language interpreter scene in Airplane II coming to mind. [Big Grin]

buf 'and the interpreter got it right, if you ask me [Wink] ' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
re: Secretary

I once watched it with a girl I was dating who loooved it. I knew that she and I weren't meant to be when I realized she was panting over the two leads and I was blissing out at the sight of the office equiptment.

"Oh, jesus, did you see that typewriter?? What a beauty."

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jayguar Temple:
I'm not the world's biggest fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but if I were newly single, I would not date someone who didn't at least understand my references to it,

When my last GF and I were first getting to know each other, she used to ask me, "What are you doing, Dave?" all the time, and I had never seen the movie and didn't get it. I guess I'm lucky that wasn't a standard for her. [lol]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
quote:
Originally posted by Jayguar Temple:
I'm not the world's biggest fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but if I were newly single, I would not date someone who didn't at least understand my references to it,

When my last GF and I were first getting to know each other, she used to ask me, "What are you doing, Dave?" all the time, and I had never seen the movie and didn't get it. I guess I'm lucky that wasn't a standard for her. [lol]
As long as it wasn't "Stop, Dave." [Eek!] [Smile]
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody who can't quote dialogue from at least four sci-fi movies (that aren't Trek or Wars) is worth dating.

Analyzing the movie afterwards is fine, so long as the analyzer doesn't make their analysis all about themselves, doesn't make an inappropriate analysis (like talking about deep feminism in an escapist event movie, or economics in a Hitchcock film), and most importantly ('cause I often let the first two slide for this) lets me talk too!!! There's nothing worse than a 30-minute uninterrupted monologue, like I had to endure once. "Do you realize you just had more dialogue than anyone in the FILM???"

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA - hit the wrong button!

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by erinker74:
If you like any movie featuring a Wayans in a prominent role, we are OVER.

Are you including Keenen Ivory Wayans in that? Because you and I are through then. I'm Gonna Get You Sucka is a terrific parody of the blacksploitation film genre.

quote:
I feel the same way, to a lesser extent, about Rob Schneider.

Duece Bigalow was funny, but nothing to write home about.

quote:
If you don't like at least ONE Kevin Smith movie, odds are you are some kind of young republican-type and I wouldn't be on a date with you anyway. [Big Grin]

That's okay, I wasn't even supposed to be here today.

Okay, I will concede "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka". In fact, I thought of that movie as I wrote it. But that movie is pretty old and most of the people who like Wayans Bros. movies are NOT referring to that one (which is the only good one they have had).

I stand by my Rob Schneider comment. I thought Deuce Bigelow was horrible. Even if I conceded and agreed that it was not an abomination, no amount of decent movies can ever - EVER - erase the blight that is The Animal. May his soul roast in hell for that poop burger! [Smile]

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, I own DVD's of Clerks, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. So much for the stereotype. [Wink]

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
BTW, I own DVD's of Clerks, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. So much for the stereotype. [Wink]

Denial isn't a river in Egypt.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by erinker74:
If you like any movie featuring a Wayans in a prominent role, we are OVER. I feel the same way, to a lesser extent, about Rob Schneider.

If you don't like at least ONE Kevin Smith movie, odds are you are some kind of young republican-type and I wouldn't be on a date with you anyway. [Big Grin]

I'll give the Wayans family I'm Gonna Git You Sucka but also Requiem For A Dream which starred Marlon. Though if a girl told me she loved that movie I may be a bit wary. Well, maybe not.

And yes, Rob Schneider is a wretched little incubus, but the pair of movies he did with Stallone ( Demolition Man and Judge Dredd) are...okay, they're both crap, but they're also sort of guilty pleasures for me.

Kevin Smith isn't for everyone's tastes. I've loved all his movies (except for Jersey Girl, which was just kind of "yeah, shrug, whatever") but if I was dating someone who refused to see Clerks 2 because of the scene with the donkey, I'd be understanding.

Max "Uye em tha lowr!" Renn

--------------------

waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anybody read the book Girls on Film? One of the writers, Clare, says she tests her potential boyfriends with the Hal Hartley film Trust. She was also dismayed by the fact that the ex-boyfriend of one of her friends (another writer of the book) loved the film. I wouldn't say any movie "makes or breaks" my relationship with a guy but some would definitely makle a differnce.
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Kevin Smith isn't for everyone's tastes. I've loved all his movies (except for Jersey Girl, which was just kind of "yeah, shrug, whatever") but if I was dating someone who refused to see Clerks 2 because of the scene with the donkey, I'd be understanding.

You are right, he isn't for everyone's taste. Isn't that the point? To try to decipher someone's taste by a movie? Chances are, if Kevin Smith isn't his taste, he isn't mine.

--------------------

Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It'd have to be a Tim Burton and Monty python movie: if they can sit through those and enjoy them, I have my man

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I can easily come to any conclusion I like. Especially when something sounds unreasonable. It would be the same if someone tried to compare The Shaggy Dog to communism. No matter how good the words sound, it's pushing the boundaries of fun comparison. What I originally said is that I would've almost broken up with her, too. This doesn't mean I don't like her or that I'm insulting her, just that this attitude is one that I could not deal with in a relationship, because it's pushing the boundaries between fun analysis and outright silliness. As another poster said earlier in this thread, there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. But, it would definitely turn me off.

On another note, in relation to this, why does it seem like there's this air about snopes lately where several people seem to think everyone's being rude no matter what they say? I humbly ask that people please stop assuming I'm trying to be rude, especially when I put all the right emoticons in all the right places to show I'm either joking or trying to be light-hearted. It's bad enough people misinterpret my words in real life all the time, and I have to deal with people who are constantly grumpy then, but I've never really had to deal with those things here, and I wish I wouldn't.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, a dealbreaker would be if she didn't under any circumstances watch anything that "wasn't realistic". I've been spared, but a friend had a girlfriend like that. To her, SciFi, most horror, fantasy, even James Bond was unwatchable as it wasn't "realistic". Basically, anything that wouldn't happen in an ordinary day was strange, wierd, difficult to understand and she flat out refused to watch it.

She probably had her imagination surgically removed at birth.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Oh dear god yes. I couldn't stand a woman like that -ever-. My Mom's like that, sort of, so I guess Freud was wrong on that one. [Razz]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Secretary

Blech. I hated the way this film portrayed people in a BDSM lifestyle. No consent, no negotiation. It was like the vanilla, hetro male fantasy of what a 24/7 is like. Not to mention, they totally screwed the source text all to hell. The original story was great.
I completely disagree. I am not a big BDSM fan but if you think that's all Secretary or any other Mary Gaitskill story is about, you're guilty of not looking closely enough at it. There are no contracts because the characters are so closely hemmed in by society and their own psychological hang-ups that that serves as a contract in and of itself. Maybe this sense got diluted by the film, I don't know. But... check out her other short work. She's all about using S&M as a mirror to the sadism and masochism of everyday life.

Personally, though, I wouldn't use Secretary one way or the other. If she insisted on making me sit through "The Story of O" or "Venus In Furs", that would be another matter.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that the lack of consent and negotiation in Secretary was because neither of them had a clue what they were doing, as they were both new to it. You're not born with knowledge, you aquire it.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages