snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Children's Books, Half-Forgotten? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Children's Books, Half-Forgotten?
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smittykins flinging rotten tomatoes:

2. This is a short story rather than a book: Set in the future with an ultramodern, automated house: it cooks, cleans, gives the agenda for the day, etc. Unfortunately, there's no one living in it, because everyone was killed in a nuclear holocaust. I want to say it's by Ray Bradbury, but I'm not sure.

ETA a 2.

I know this story. It was in an science fiction anthology that I read in high school. I have been searching for for the past hour, but I cannot remember the name of the anthology for the life of me.

In the story, there was a nursery with little animals on the walls made of light that moved, and the house set the cigar out at a certain time, and in the end the house burnt down... right?

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
2. This is a short story rather than a book: Set in the future with an ultramodern, automated house: it cooks, cleans, gives the agenda for the day, etc. Unfortunately, there's no one living in it, because everyone was killed in a nuclear holocaust. I want to say it's by Ray Bradbury, but I'm not sure.

This does sound very familiar and Bradbury-like, but I went through my collections and can't find it. Admittedly I don't own everything he's ever written.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read one in probably 6th grade that's been bugging me for awhile. It was set in New Zealand or Australia IIRC (but could be wrong) & there was a nothing-like presense that was roaming the country-side 'gobbling' up stuff. This boy ended up fighting the nothing & walled it up in a cave. I remember feeling a bit sorry for the nothing at the end because it was sad that it couldn't see sunlight anymore.

It was not 'The Neverending Story'.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't Ragwitch or Shade's Children, both by Garth Nix, either. But if you liked that book, you might like either or both of those.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti see you, to see you, Neff:
I was looking forward to spreading my Moomin love! [lol]

When I was in the third and fourth grades, the Moomin craze at my school was very similar to the current Harry Potter craze. Everybody read them, talked like them but we didn't dress like them. [Wink]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:

This does sound very familiar and Bradbury-like, but I went through my collections and can't find it. Admittedly I don't own everything he's ever written.
I believe this is There Will Come Soft Rains and yes, it is by Ray Bradbury.

Seaboe

ETA title confirmed through a Ray Bradbury bulletin board. You can find the story in either The Martian Chronicles or The Stories of Ray Bradbury.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Grrr. Please delete.

Seaboe

--------------------

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
I believe this is There Will Come Soft Rains and yes, it is by Ray Bradbury.

Seaboe

ETA title confirmed through a Ray Bradbury bulletin board. You can find the story in either The Martian Chronicles or The Stories of Ray Bradbury.

Thanks for posting this. After reading your post, I went back to check my bookcase, since I do have a copy of The Martian Chronicles. It was missing! A quick search turned it up behind the bookcase, where it had apparently fallen, who knows how long ago.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piyokochan
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piyokochan   E-mail piyokochan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking that the Ray Bradbury one mentioned might have been The Veldt, but then I realized it wasn't.

Anyone else read The Veldt? I really liked that one, and also A Sound of Thunder or whatever that one was called.

--------------------
"Shakespeare and Dante divide the world between them. There is no third." - T. S. Eliot

Posts: 77 | From: New Milford, CT | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. K:
Okay, I'll play along.

It's not actually a children's book, like Blueberries for Sal, or Bread and Jam for Frances, but more a preteen or young adult book.

I remember the main character is a girl named Sylvie, living with a foster family, and the foster father is either raping her or molesting her and she runs away, trying to go to Hollywood.

I want to say it's set in the mid to late 1950s, too.

It's been years, and I really liked that book, as depressing as it is.

The book you mean is called To All My Fans, With Love, from Sylvie and it's by Ellen Conford.

I remember reading this book thinking it was going to be her usual lighthearted book - what a surprise! I do remember really liking it though.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Christie!

I remember that I really liked that book, because it was realistic.

Not the usual lighthearted teen novel, but it was a good read, and a well-written story.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I feel all bad because I started this thread, and don't know any of the other books to help others out. Blah! Actually I'm pretty sure I've read the one about the seal, way back when, but I don't remember what it was called either. (Or if the one attempt at the title was correct.)

And as far as the owing a first born to Amazon.com goes... I think I already owe them so many of my "*-born"s that I might as well just not ever have any kids. I'd never get to keep any of them, anyhow. [Wink]

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smallpotatoes:
Xia,

Could it have been A Seal Called Andre?

Jaci

Nope, unfortunately that's not it... I'm pretty sure the book I'm looking for had a boy and a girl, (definitely a girl) and I think there may have been a couple of seals, not just one. I think there was some kind of magic in it as well.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I have a couple.

1) All I really remember was this boy lived in a house that was heated by a little volcano in the basement.

2) I can't remember how it started but I know this boy comes down stairs and the patterns on this crazy quilt are dancing around and he follows them out the door. I remember the images being very vivid.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blucanary, for #1 try The Finches' Fabulous Furnace by Roger Wolcott Drury.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe someone can help me with one that spooked me as a kid--I only heard an excerpt from it, on one of those PBS reading shows. It involved a boy who encountered two strange men that he thought were hoboes, but they turned out to be interstellar fugitives of some kind. They warned him of enforcers coming that would look human except with unearthly green eyes.

he didn't believe it until he started seeing the people with green eyes. That's all I really remember, except the line "Red for danger, green for danger" that was running through his head when he first saw them.

Any clues?

Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebochan the Retail Reindeer
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I JUST had one this morning. It was a book about a modern Jewish girl who, through a vague time travel element that appears when she opens the door for Joseph during Passover, becomes a girl named Chaya during the holocaust. I don't want to give away the ending for it, but I do remember it if it's necessary. It was a really good book.

--------------------
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Librarians balk at giveing someone's check out history to the government but will they give you your own? Do they even maintain this. I'm wondering if the library where I grew up still has a record of what I checked out - at least from when they got the computerized system.

It would make threads like this so much easier.

OTOH there have been two books I was going to ask about and somehow mangaged to pry the titles out of the deep dark recesses of my brain.
Anyone else read The Changeover or Futuretrack 5?

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
Librarians balk at giveing someone's check out history to the government but will they give you your own? Do they even maintain this. I'm wondering if the library where I grew up still has a record of what I checked out - at least from when they got the computerized system.

My bet is that they have absolutely no record of what you checked out before they went to the computerized system. They probably destroyed the cards (if they even still own the books). Plus, since the cards live in the books, they wouldn't've even had a separate record of who checked out what.

Modern libraries often destroy the checkout record as soon as the book is returned so that they cannot determine who has checked out a particular book. They can only determine, if the book is checked out, who officially has it. You can see the potential for confusion, I'm sure (what if the book was reshelved without being checked in properly? What if someone borrowed a library book from the person who checked it out?).

Now, if they had such a record, would they give it to you? Depends on the library director, I suspect.

Seaboe

--------------------

SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stormfeather:

The other book was a sort of horror/mystery thing that involved a group of kids who got stranded in an old "abandoned" house. They were trapped there due to flooding, and couldn't get out for a while. During the course of the book, various kids disappeared, and were possibly killed (I can't even remember if any were actually *dead* at the end of the story, but I remember at least their friends thought they were). The house itself was the property of a stage magician of some sort, and had some of his various tools of illusion, including a guillotine. I remember the book creeping me right the heck out when I first read it, but now it's bugging me.

I am almost certain you are talking about A Deadly Game of Magic Joan Lowery Nixon wrote tons of these "teen mystery" books and I burned through them when I was around thirteen or fourteen. This was one of my favorites.

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Super Sloppy Rebochan:
I JUST had one this morning. It was a book about a modern Jewish girl who, through a vague time travel element that appears when she opens the door for Joseph during Passover, becomes a girl named Chaya during the holocaust. I don't want to give away the ending for it, but I do remember it if it's necessary. It was a really good book.

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen.

Seaboe

--------------------

PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, WOW that was a good book.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by gnome:
Maybe someone can help me with one that spooked me as a kid--I only heard an excerpt from it, on one of those PBS reading shows. It involved a boy who encountered two strange men that he thought were hoboes, but they turned out to be interstellar fugitives of some kind. They warned him of enforcers coming that would look human except with unearthly green eyes.

he didn't believe it until he started seeing the people with green eyes. That's all I really remember, except the line "Red for danger, green for danger" that was running through his head when he first saw them.

Any clues?

Dick Estell is the Radio Reader and you can find a list of all the books he has read on the air by following this link. Try there.

Seaboe

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:

There are many good books in this thread. Are you referring to any one in particular?

[Smile]

Seaboe

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read voraciously as a child, and none of these books sound familiar, which seems rather odd to me.

I'm also bummed that mine doesn't ring a bell for anyone - oh well.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Good King Wal-Mart

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebochan the Retail Reindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Seaboe

AH! FINALLY! Thanks. I didn't even know what would be a good Google search, but that book, along with Number the Stars and Letters from Rifka, were very popular reading in late elementary school. And my three-quarters non-Jewish heritage are showing through because it was the prophet Elijah, not Joseph. Apologies.

--------------------

"Vote Republican! We won't burn you at the stake for your religious beliefs or slaughter your family and steal your land." -- Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 3555 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Bthyb, I'd be delighted to help you find it but I don't have enough information--for example, do you have any idea when you read it? Were both stories in the same book?

Seaboe

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Thanks. I didn't even know what would be a good Google search, ..

That's because something like this doesn't work as a Google search. You'd do better to search Amazon (using the advance search feature and keywords) or, even better IMO, Abebooks.com.

There are problems with Abebooks, however. One is that it is for booksellers and not all of them include a synopsis of the book in their description. Also, many titles have many, many copies (each one of which gets its own entry). On the other hand, it doesn't have to be a book in print.

My search for "Chaya" in the keyword field turned up 666 hits and I paged through about 380 of them before finding your book. So if you have the patience, it can be done.

Seaboe

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bthyb, I'd be delighted to help you find it but I don't have enough information--for example, do you have any idea when you read it? Were both stories in the same book?

Seaboe

I read it in the late 80s or early 90s, and both stories were in the same book...thanks for asking.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:

There are many good books in this thread. Are you referring to any one in particular?

[Smile]

Seaboe

Hah! Yeah. I was specicically referring to Devil's Arithmetic, but as I am going back after my gut reaction post, I can see that that statement applies to quite a few of the books. So, yes and no I guess. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Good King Wal-Mart

quote:
quote:
Thanks. I didn't even know what would be a good Google search, ..

That's because something like this doesn't work as a Google search. You'd do better to search Amazon (using the advance search feature and keywords) or, even better IMO, Abebooks.com.

There are problems with Abebooks, however. One is that it is for booksellers and not all of them include a synopsis of the book in their description. Also, many titles have many, many copies (each one of which gets its own entry). On the other hand, it doesn't have to be a book in print.

My search for "Chaya" in the keyword field turned up 666 hits and I paged through about 380 of them before finding your book. So if you have the patience, it can be done.

Seaboe

Yow. I actually hit Amazon this morning, and even tried looking at Letters from Rifka and Number the Stars because they're all about roughly the same subject matter and age group to see if there would be a suggestion or a fan list. Thanks for the tips, though - hopefully, I'll have better luck next time.

--------------------

HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread inspired me.

I was going to ask about a book I couldn't remember, but thought it would be tacky to do so without looking for it first.

I searched on Abebooks and discovered it was The Mysterious Girl in the Garden by Judith St. George. Problem solved. Now I just need to find a copy.

Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Name That Tabby:
Blucanary, for #1 try The Finches' Fabulous Furnace by Roger Wolcott Drury.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

That's it. I didn't find it when I searched Amazon before but know I know the title I found it. I may have to order one of the used copies.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! THANK YOU SmallTownKid! I think that is it, at least, the title rang bells when I saw it, and the brief synopsis on Amazon.com sounds a lot like it as well, from what I remember.

*Adds it to shopping cart* Luckily this one is reprinted, so I don't have to muck about with the used copies and hope I get a good dealer. [Wink]

Now someone just ask about one that I know, so I can feel like I'm returning the favor!

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Seaboe

No kidding...I love Jane Yolen, but I've never heard of that book. I wonder how I avoided ever hearing of her when I was a kid, anyhow.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages