snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Annoying Movie Reality Impairments (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Annoying Movie Reality Impairments
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
I watched The Mummy last night. All the resurrection from the dead stuff didn't bother me, but I couldn't stand how they portrayed the scarabs as swarming flesh-eaters. They are dung beetles. They eat dung, not people.

The ones that ate humans rapidly were a related species that look nearly identical to dung beetles.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
Sorry for the late answer to Rob D's question, but yes, you are right... no way. When deploying, it takes at least two large seabags and a backpack of some kind to carry the minimum amount of gear. (For pilots, add a third large seabag or helmet bag...) As for here at home... well, the iconic image of a servicemember dressed in his Service "A"s (or equivalent) stepping off the bus with a single seabag slung over his shoulder is exactly that--an image. When still single, I crammed every inch of spare space in my car with my junk, and still had to mail some of it to my future command address (and that was doing a DITY move, wherein you move all your stuff yourself). Now that I'm married and own things like, say, furniture, there's no way we could move it all in a single U-Haul, much less a single seabag. Fortunately, the TMO will move your stuff for you, free of cost.

But it does make a poignant image, doesn't it?

Heck, just going to NTC for a month was two duffel bags, an external-frame large rucksack, an internal frame medium assault pack, a pouch strapped to my thigh with my Night Vision Goggles, and I somehow got stuck carrying the commander's laptop in a Pelican case.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
I watched The Mummy last night. All the resurrection from the dead stuff didn't bother me, but I couldn't stand how they portrayed the scarabs as swarming flesh-eaters. They are dung beetles. They eat dung, not people.

The ones that ate humans rapidly were a related species that look nearly identical to dung beetles.
Actually, the some Egyptians warned us in the hieroglyphics. However, they didn't have enough time to put in the explanation before the dung beetles ate them all.
Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I figured in a universe where mummies can come come back to life and do magic, there can also be a species of scarabs that eat people.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
It's not quite a reality impairment per say, considering it's about a movie that takes place about 200 years in the future, but this thread seems to be the best place for it.

I just noticed something in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. After we see the overview of the Genesis Project, Kirk says "The tape was made about a year ago." Tape? I find it hard to believe they'll still be using tapes in the 23rd century. Heck, tapes are on their way out now. Granted, the movie was made in the early 1980s, but I would think especially a sci-fi movie would forsee a new type of recording media for the future. Wouldn't Kirk be more likely say "recording" or "video"?

I know it's a minor nitpicky detail. I've seen the movie several times previously and didn't even notice that until now.

Maybe some avid Trekker can correct me, but wasn't there an episode of the original series where a shot on the bridge showed a closeup of a clock with rotating number dials? And didn't Ulhura at one point have an old-fashioned telephone operator's switchboard with all the attendant wires to be plugged and unplugged?

Max "Only going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And didn't Ulhura at one point have an old-fashioned telephone operator's switchboard with all the attendant wires to be plugged and unplugged?
AFAIK, Uhura only ever dealt with switches, not wires.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a couple of peeves, and I find myself somewhat dismayed that the show/movie that leads my list is "The X-Files". I do love that show.

The movie has bees pollenating corn. Corn is pollenated by wind. Couldn't the 'bee wrangler' have noted this and mentioned it?

In 'X-Files' and 'CSI', the houses and businesses they go into to search *never* have any lights on. I never see anyone searching for a lamp or a switch, they just whip out their tiny-but-blindingly-bright flashlights. The X-Files drinking game actually has everyone drink a shot every time our intrepid agents use a dinky flashlight that must need a car battery for power.

In the physics department, two of my late-nite 'scream theater' movies stand out;

'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' has polar ice that breaks up and *sinks*, and
'The Fall of the House of Usher' (Vincent Price) has fallen bricks that *float*.

'Independence Day' was a fun movie (I've never seen nuthin' blow up so GOOD), but Goldblum writes a *virus* for an *alien* computer system and then establishes a *link* to that system and *uploads* it?? DAMN, he's good!

Movies like 'The Core', 'Armageddon' and 'The Day After Tomorrow' are so fraught with bad (and actually dangerous) science that I get vaporlock trying to explain them. Couldn't they at least get a prof from a local community college to tell them things like, "No, a nuclear bomb will have essentially no effect on the Earth's mantle or core"? Before I start frothing at the mouth talking about the impossibility of a volcanic eruption in LA or whether or not one can drive a pickup over flowing lava, I will move on.

The last thing, for me, isn't really like the others, I can't say it's -wrong-, but it baffles me. Why do so many movies portray devout Xtians working to stop the ascendance of the Antichrist, or working to stop the Tribulation? It seems to me that Xtians would see these events as inevitable, and actually beneficial in the end. Don't they want Christ to come back?

I'll probably think of 19 more things as soon as I hit the 'Add Reply' button, but here goes..

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delia Darrow:

...tiny-but-blindingly-bright flashlights. The X-Files drinking game actually has everyone drink a shot every time our intrepid agents use a dinky flashlight that must need a car battery for power.

A company actually makes those, and some of their flashlights run into the hundreds of dollars.

WWW.SUREFIRE.COM

--------------------

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mangled Maine Accent.

I have an open letter to all actors performing in a film set in Maine. Do not do the accent. Do not even TRY to do the accent. You can't do it. Better actors than you have tried, and failed.

I have seen some of the greatest actors of our time lose a great deal of credibility with me and ruin their projects by trying to do the Maine accent. Tom Bosley in "Murder, She Wrote" sounded like he was from Alabama. I don't know who taught Tim Daly his in "Storm of the Century." Kathy Bates, who could probably play Batman if she put her mind to it, just about destroyed "Dolores Claiborne" with hers.

It's true that I've heard a couple of convincing ones. But to tell the truth, most people from Maine don't have the Maine accent, unless they're from way out in the toolies or are over sixty. So it's perfectly all right to have a character from Maine who doesn't speak in a fish chowder dialect (or, far worse, a bastardization of Bostonian.)

The worst thing about how distracting the accent is to a Mainer is that it's obviously rather distracting to the actor, as well. I've seen actors forced to ruminate on their delivery on camera as they brace themselves for the next line. (Tim Daly did so much of this that he almost didn't have time to act.) So it's not just the viewer who's suffering here.

We drop our "R"s, but not all the time, we don't do those long vowel sounds; we speak quickly, so there's no drawl, the Portland "Pahrk" is not the Bostonian "Pahk", so let's call the whole thing off.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AFA reactions to death, I once first heard of the death of a co-workers close relative (completly unexpected) by hearing her screams from her office down the hall. That was one of the scariest, saddest things I have ever heard & I never want to hear that level of sadness, anger & just abject grief again.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to an artical in The Guardian the hardest American accents are from Boston & New Orleans, with many top actors struggling to master them for a part.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but when a character receives a text message on their mobile, the alert is the standard one off a Nokia phone. Even though they clearly aren't using a Nokia.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to William H. Macy, the hardest accent is the upper Midwestern accent that he had to learn for the movie, "Fargo", don'tcha know.

Oh, that movie is a HOOT!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg of Winter:
quote:

...tiny-but-blindingly-bright flashlights. The X-Files drinking game actually has everyone drink a shot every time our intrepid agents use a dinky flashlight that must need a car battery for power.

A company actually makes those, and some of their flashlights run into the hundreds of dollars.

WWW.SUREFIRE.COM

That is the irony of the X Files flashlights - they annoyed the fans no end, but the light source was indeed the light in the actor's hand.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Movies like 'The Core'

The Core was so bad on science that after I was numbed by the first few minutes of superduper bad science, it was fun to watch.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just watched "Without a Paddle" last night, and I just have to say;

There are no palm trees in the forests of Oregon.

-NONE-.

New Zealand may look like Gondor, but it don't look like Oregon.

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Who:
The Mangled Maine Accent.

You mean ... [GASP!] not everyone in Maine talks like the stock "creepy old man" character in Steven King stories? Say it isn't so! [Big Grin]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just watched "Without a Paddle" last night, and I just have to say;

There are no palm trees in the forests of Oregon.

-NONE-.

New Zealand may look like Gondor, but it don't look like Oregon.

Nor are there any palm trees in Ohio, despite what the first Nightmare On Elm Street movie would have you believe.

Max "check the funeral scene" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

My favorite is when a "local" can't even pronounce where they are from.

For example, Oregon. It's pronounced something like Ore-uh-gun. Yet, every actor pronounces it like Ore-uh-gone.

"Alone in the Dark" had Tara Reid playing a brilliant archaeologist, who pronounced Newfoundland like it was three separate words, pausing between each: "New Found Land." It's actually something like "Newfundlund." What's even more bizarre, the movie was filmed in Canada and nobody bothered to correct her.

--------------------

christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For example, Oregon. It's pronounced something like Ore-uh-gun. Yet, every actor pronounces it like Ore-uh-gone.

Have you seen Starman? Where they're trying to pronoune Chequamegon? Makes every Wisconsin native I know laugh hysterically.

Also- I have never heard a native Wisconsinite pronounce the "l" in Milwaukee.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster Joe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my main peeves has been mentioned already : using obsolete US planes for MiGs and Patton tanks for Tigers. Or basically not using the right equipment. Halftracks, APCs, you name it.

On a related note : outside views of airplanes that go out on a bombing run that switch from having fuel tanks, missiles, nothing, fuel tanks again... under the wings. And that change between shots from an F15 to an F4, or F5 or basically any jet they have stock footage from.

--------------------
You're saying "Long Live Rock n Roll!" not "Let's go home and drink a beer"

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay from some movie watching I did over the weekend:

- Suburban, 'white bread' highschools that have kids go through metal detecotrs and pat down searchs every morning. Do these schools exist?

- Big state colleges where everyone knows everyone else on campus just like it was highschool, only with 20,000 students.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Alone in the Dark" had Tara Reid playing a brilliant archaeologist, who pronounced Newfoundland like it was three separate words, pausing between each: "New Found Land." It's actually something like "Newfundlund." What's even more bizarre, the movie was filmed in Canada and nobody bothered to correct her.

Here's your little irony, then. The third largest city in Maine is "Bangor." That's "BANG-gore." Bangor. Not Banger.

Actors do a little research, discover that "Bangor" is pronounced "Banger" in the UK, and pronounce it that way. Not "Banger." "BANG-gore." (Or, if you're from Maine, "BANG-gawr.") Compound this with the Mangled Maine Accent, and it's "Bangah." Urgh.

I was once surprised in an episode of Murder, She Wrote when Jessica Fletcher said she needed to catch the next train from Boston to Portland. (And yes, I'm sure CBS got sackloads of mail--"There aren't any trains from Boston to Portland!" from picayune Mainers.) However, rail service in Portland started up about ten years after that episode aired. I like to believe that they launched rail service in Maine just to bring it in line with an obscure reference in an episode of "Murder, she Wrote."

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I doubt a movie that stars Tara Reid as a brilliant archaeologist is very much concerned with realism [fish]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Who:
I was once surprised in an episode of Murder, She Wrote when Jessica Fletcher said she needed to catch the next train from Boston to Portland. (And yes, I'm sure CBS got sackloads of mail--"There aren't any trains from Boston to Portland!" from picayune Mainers.)

But don't people just list their final destination? She could have been traveling from Boston to X to Portland and left out X. I know that I never list a stop over point when flying from A to B.

If someone was taking Southwest from Phoenix to Dallas, I wouldn't expect them to say "I leaving to catch a Southwest flight to Albuquerque and a seperate Southwest flight to Dallas."

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not quite a reality impairment per say, considering it's about a movie that takes place about 200 years in the future, but this thread seems to be the best place for it.

I just noticed something in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. After we see the overview of the Genesis Project, Kirk says "The tape was made about a year ago." Tape? I find it hard to believe they'll still be using tapes in the 23rd century. Heck, tapes are on their way out now. Granted, the movie was made in the early 1980s, but I would think especially a sci-fi movie would forsee a new type of recording media for the future. Wouldn't Kirk be more likely say "recording" or "video"?

I get equally annoyed - although it's a minor annoyance - reading Ray Bradbury stories in which characters at least 50 years in the "future" (1990s and beyond) are using typewriters and phonographs. Or 21st century towns that have rockets and robots, but strikingly resemble 1920s Illinois neighborhoods, complete with malt shop and telegraph operators. Bradbury writes good fiction, but he wasn't good at predicting cultural or technological trends.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aureal:
quote:
I find it hard to believe they'll still be using tapes in the 23rd century. Heck, tapes are on their way out now. Granted, the movie was made in the early 1980s, but I would think especially a sci-fi movie would forsee a new type of recording media for the future. Wouldn't Kirk be more likely say "recording" or "video"?

This certainly isn't the only anachronism in ST. The Nitpicker's Guide points out an even worse instance, in "The Measure of a Man" wherein Data is referred to as a fancy toaster. It proffers the explanation that the word 'toaster' has lost the meaning we now know it to have and has come to refer to any type of machine. Perhaps the same type of excuse could be made for 'tape.' [fish]
I could almost buy the argument that "tape" has come to mean any sort of recording, especially since there doesn't appear to be an actual tape involved at all -- Kirk calls up the recording on the ship's computer. The only issue I have is that it seems like the word is already is already falling out of use. But maybe in the 1980s "tape" did mean "recording."

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not to be too nitpicky, but this isn't correct either-
There's no middle syllable at all. Just two; it's a homophone for organ. Or-gun, not Or-uh-gon, not Ory-gone.
I'm a sixth generation Oregonian, so I think I'd know. My dad used to have a joke bumper sticker that said "ORYGUN" on it, to make fun of the people who get it wrong.
Not like it really bothers me anyway, a lot of people don't know this. But if they're pretending to be from MY state on TV, they should. [Smile]

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still finding word which are said very differently in America to their normal UK way.

"I keep tomatoes and herbs in an aluminium vase at my leisure" is an phrase which has a few typical words.

I would say "I keep herbs and tomartoz in an alyoominium varz at my lezhure" not "I keep tomaytoz and erbs in an aloominum vayz at my leezhure"

Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find inaccuracies amusing or inconsequential unless the plot hinges on them. Then I sometimes react with a full-fledged temper tantrum.
Waterworld turned on a blooper every eight seconds, but there was one scene after which I nearly had to be sedated. Kevin Costner's character rescues a little girl who's flailing in the water, about to be bombarded by a half dozen speedboats all racing toward her from different directions. Costner is directly above her, and ties a bungee cord around his ankle, and tells another guy to tie off the other end, as he jumps off the platform. Not only does he place an extraordinary amount of trust in his friend's ability to tie a sturdy knot in less than the time it takes him to fall thirty feet, but the cord happens to be exactly the right length and tension to snap him back after he's grabbed the girl but before he hits the water. But wait, there's more! The villians on speedboats somehow don't realize they're all going to crash into each other and probably kill themselves until after he rescues the girl--did she block their view of each other, or did they think her body would absorb all the impact? And! This is a dystopian world in which "dry land" is nothing more than a myth to most people, yet they have a rubber bungee cord lying around in perfect condition! When it's a simple matter of envisioning a different plane, train, or car in place of the one that was actually used, I can suspend my disbelief well enough to enjoy the movie, but when a single scene depends upon on at least four impossibilities, I cry foul.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Richard1978:
I'm still finding word which are said very differently in America to their normal UK way.

"I keep tomatoes and herbs in an aluminium vase at my leisure" is an phrase which has a few typical words.

I would say "I keep herbs and tomartoz in an alyoominium varz at my lezhure" not "I keep tomaytoz and erbs in an aloominum vayz at my leezhure"

I'm not sure if you get the show "House" over there, but it's about an acerbic American surgeon, played by the very English Hugh Laurie, who does a spot-on Yank accent.

I was watching an interview with him, and he said the accent was easy, it was the pronunciation that would kill him. What was even worse for him, was having to speak "American Latin" for all the medical terminology on the show.

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages