snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » God gets a PG rating from the MPAA (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: God gets a PG rating from the MPAA
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Motion Picture Association of America feels parent should be warned: the film Facing the Giants talks about God--a lot.
quote:
The Christian moviemakers behind a low-budget film called "Facing the Giants" were stunned when the MPAA pinned a PG rating on their gentle movie about a burned-out, depressed football coach whose life _ on and off the field _ takes a miraculous turn for the better.

"What the MPAA said is that the movie contained strong 'thematic elements' that might disturb some parents," said Kris Fuhr, vice president for marketing at Provident Films, which is owned by Sony Pictures.

quote:
...the scene that caught the MPAA's attention may have been the chat between football coach Grant Taylor _ played by Alex Kendrick _ and a rich brat named Matt Prader. The coach says that he needs to stop bad-mouthing his bossy father and get right with God.

The boy replies: "You really believe in all that honoring God and following Jesus stuff? ... Well, I ain't trying to be disrespectful, but not everybody believes in that."

The coach replies: "Matt, nobody's forcing anything on you. Following Jesus Christ is the decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. You may not want to accept it, because it'll change your life. You'll never be the same."

I thought ratings were there to keep people from being surprised at what may be inappropriate content. Would someone who doesn't want their kid exposed to religious ideas be taking their kid to a Baptist movie in the first place?

Seems odd to me.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ratings are intended to warn parents both of things that might be age-inappropriate, and things that might require parental guidance based on the age of the children.

Considering the credentials of the article's author [(Terry Mattingly (www.tmatt.net) directs the Washington Journalism Center at the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.)] and the fact that the scene above is only what "may" have drawn attention according to a slanted opinion, the objection might have been to very different things

Also from the article: "The movie includes waves of answered prayers, a medical miracle, a mysterious silver-haired mystic who delivers a message from God and a bench-warmer who kicks a 51-yard field goal to win the big game when his handicapped father pulls himself out of a wheelchair and stands under the goal post to inspire his son's faith. There's a prayer-driven gust of wind in there, too."

I'd say that miracles and messages from god might require some parental input, and aren't really fodder for a children's film. After all, we aren't talking kittens and puppies here.

From the VP of Marketing at the film company: "It is kind of interesting that faith has joined that list of deadly sins that the MPAA board wants to warn parents to worry about."

Deadly sins? Does this guy overreact much? Things that get flagged aren't deadly sins. They are things that little kids might need help understanding.

All in all, this isn't a news story. It's an opinion piece, and it shouldn've been slugged as such. It lacks the opposing viewpoint, it lacks objectivity, and it includes quite a bit of speculation by the author. Where did they have this catagorized on the site?

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
infoseeker822
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 14 posted      Profile for infoseeker822   E-mail infoseeker822   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
what is so odd about it?

i think parents have a right to know if a film has a religous theme in the plot line.

because some parents may not want to teach their child about religion.

personally i think religion is a bunch of crap.

(i'm not an athiest, simply agnostic and secular.)

Posts: 39 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you were to "film" the Bible, you would AT LEAST get an "R" rating. David (and others) could get rather randy at times...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ryda, I found it through another link, but it's slugged "religion-faith" which kind of seems like a subject in which opinion is always a given.

Unless the VP is lying, it's the MPAA's position that
quote:
the movie was heavily laden with messages from one religion and that this might offend people from other religions. It's important that they used the word 'proselytizing' when they talked about giving this movie a PG.
Whether it was the Jesus scene as the article's author guessed (since it does seem evangelical) or just the sheer frequency of spiritual references, it still was a decision based on religious content, which does seem to be a change in direction for the MPAA. In the past they have focused on parental guidance for moral issues, not philosophical ones. Should a cartoon with multiple Buddhist or New Age references be PG, too? Not in my opinion, but YMMV.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by infoseeker822:
what is so odd about it?

i think parents have a right to know if a film has a religous theme in the plot line.

I do, too, but it seems like the ads would take care of that.

As for it being odd, it is to me because it seems to be a change in approach to the rating system. If I see "PG," I am going to assume a movie has some obscenity, sex, or violence, not talk of miracles and personal belief.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is PG: parental guidance is suggested.

What seems to be the problem with that?

And PG shouldn't have any obscenity in it at all. An R rated movie wouldn't have any obscenity, either.

Perhaps our perspectives are a little skewed?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some parents don't want sexual or mature themes and others don't want their wee children to come home with completely different beliefs. The G rating is reserved for those movies that pose no such threat at all. Maybe you don't see that as a threat. But I remember seeing stuff like this when I was very small and, until I was later convinced by my family that it "isn't what our church teaches", I believed it. Of course, such talks are necessary from time to time but I think it's great that, as long as they're rating on profanity and other things that don't concern me much, they also give us a heads up on religious beliefs (whether they resemble my own or not).

Anyway, you ought to look around and see what kinds of movies get G ratings and what gets PG and you might realize that there are plenty of themes you may consider harmless that get PG ratings.

LPP, would you feel the same if the religion were, for example, strict Islam? How about Scientology?

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ryda, I found it through another link, but it's slugged "religion-faith" which kind of seems like a subject in which opinion is always a given.

No. Not an opinion from the author of the article. Not unless it's a stated review, a "personal relation piece" or on the editorial page. I know that's company policy, and I'm pretty sure it's industry wide.
Now, the sources interviewed can give an opinion. That's why they are used. The author can't.

quote:

In the past they have focused on parental guidance for moral issues, not philosophical ones. Should a cartoon with multiple Buddhist or New Age references be PG, too? Not in my opinion, but YMMV.

Depends on what elements of the religion are portrayed and what about the religion the Buddhist or New Agers are proclaiming. I have some serious, serious doubts about the integrity of this article, based on the way it's written. It would be interesting to get an actual researched piece.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it could be that the PG is there so parents know they'll probably get questions from their little darlings such as "Why did God let that man stand, but didn't stop the rhino from sitting on grandma?"

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not upset by this decision, but I can't blame someone from feeling the MPAA is pretty inconsistent. There are plenty of G-rated films that could be said to indoctrinate children in certain ideological positions. What about:

Ferngully: The Last Rainforest
Sacred Planet

Or present religious material:

The Greatest Story Ever Told
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Ten Commandments

And some G-rated films are pretty surprising as far as containing scenes well beyond what kids would be able to understand (though, of course, some of these are merely a reflection of changing standards -- though it's funny that these ratings never get revised):

2001: A Space Odyssey
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Auschwitz: Silent Witness

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Logoboros, thank you for saying what I was trying to, only much better.

I'm not "upset" by this decision, either, but I do feel like it is a pretty clear change in historical trend. I did not say it is wrong, offensive, oppressive, or biggoted, I said it was "odd," as in, not the norm.

Will no one else admit this is not the same old MPAA status quo? Can anyone give me an example of a movie that, devoid of any other "typical" PG ratings content, was made so for its religious overtones?

I think, if the situation is as the article described, this is a very culturally relevant change of policy.

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
LPP, would you feel the same if the religion were, for example, strict Islam? How about Scientology?

Yes, I would. It would still be a major change in trend.

And if this was an otherwise gentle movie with a pagan theme, and pCm's were demanding a PG rating, I would think they were asking for something out of the ordinary, too.

I recently bought a cartoon video for my daughter from television that, unbeknownst to me, had a very strong message from a religion I don't agree with. It also contained scenes with loud spirits that that could easily scare her. There was nothing in the description that alerted me to this. And you know what I thought? Big fat freaking deal. So I'll wait till she's older or give it away to a friend. Should that cartoon have had a PG label on it? Should all movies with a religious, moral, or philosophical message have their ratings kicked up a notch?

What if Facing the Giants is shown on TV? Will they need to edit the religious content out? How many prayers or references to God should make something inappropriate for prime time television viewing?
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
And PG shouldn't have any obscenity in it at all. An R rated movie wouldn't have any obscenity, either.

Perhaps our perspectives are a little skewed?

Ack, no, our vocabulary is. I meant profanity, not obscenity. [fish]

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
I thought ratings were there to keep people from being surprised at what may be inappropriate content. Would someone who doesn't want their kid exposed to religious ideas be taking their kid to a Baptist movie in the first place?

Not sure that I disagree with your point in general, but I think that you're wrong here. After all, that's like saying that The Texas Chain Saw Massacre should be rated as a U because parents who don't want their kids seeing onscreen violence and torture wouldn't be taking their kids to a horror movie in the first place.

As to the topic in general, I'm very firmly of the opinion that movie ratings are as much about what the particular ratings person had for lunch as they are about set-out guidelines. There are some film ratings that are just baffling, especially if taken in context with other films. Why Drop Dead Fred is 15 and Ghostbusters is PG I'll never know. There's more violence, more scary stuff and more swearing in the latter, and the former is more of a kid's movie. So, there's a bit of mischeif, but nothing compared to, say, Problem Child, which is a PG.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Little Pink Pill said:
And if this was an otherwise gentle movie with a pagan theme, and pCm's were demanding a PG rating, I would think they were asking for something out of the ordinary, too.

I don't really see the fuss that sometimes goes with a PG rating anyway - to me, that is a low, "suitable for children" rating. Even in the UK it means anybody can see the film, and in the US, the ratings are only guidelines anyway. So why does it matter?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I don't really see the fuss that sometimes goes with a PG rating anyway - to me, that is a low, "suitable for children" rating. Even in the UK it means anybody can see the film, and in the US, the ratings are only guidelines anyway. So why does it matter?

I personally think the UK guidelines are a lot more clear than the US ones. According to Wikipedia, a UK PG rating is defined as
quote:
PG All ages admitted, but Parental Guidance is recommended. It is the board's policy that movies rated "PG" should not disturb a child of about 8 years of age or older; however, "parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset young or more sensitive children."
The UK movies I have bought define things even further. On the back of the package there will be a little place where it tells you why it was rated as it was. IIRC, it usually says something like, "may contain disturbing images of violence" or something about sexually explicit scenes verses innuendo. The American PG just says
quote:
PG - Parental guidance suggested - Some material may not be suitable for young children.
That's as far as the definition goes, but culturally, until this decision, Americans have known that a PG rating means there will be mild profanity, violence, or sexual innuendo. It has never meant something might have a philosophical or moral theme you might not personally agree with.

It "matters" because if they change the entire rating system, they need to be more clear about their standards and consistent across the board. And if they are going to PG every movie message somebody might not agree with, we'll never have another G again.

ETA-I see your point, Trollface.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The MPAA is completely independent and has always been inconsistent; there aren't written guidelines as to what elements in a film will merit a certain rating.

The original Bad News Bears was rated PG, and the profanity in it was pretty much non-stop.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The original, silent version of The King of Kings: the Life of Christ(1927) could not be shown in Britain. It was banned because at that time there was a blanket ban in Britain on depicting Christ in film.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's as far as the definition goes, but culturally, until this decision, Americans have known that a PG rating means there will be mild profanity, violence, or sexual innuendo. It has never meant something might have a philosophical or moral theme you might not personally agree with.

That may be what you typically think of when you see PG and that may be what typically gets a PG rating, but as AnglRdr said, there aren't specific guidelines. PG simply means that there may be something in the movie a parent may find unsuitable for their children so they may want to be aware of the content of the movie before letting their children see it. It doesn't mean the movie is, in fact, unsuitable for any child and certainly not every child.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some parents might find the extent of the Christian themes in the film a bit more than they want their child exposed to. A parent might think it is just the typical overcoming adversity through sports movie and not realize it heavily involves religious elements. The PG is just a heads up so they can become aware of that and decide if they want their kids to see it, just like any other PG film.

I really don't think that is outside of what the PG rating is for. Just because it may be unusual for a film with religious themes to warrant it does not mean the MPAA is changing their anything.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The MPAA ratings are VERY inconsistent. I’ve been to PG films that I would have rather NOT taken my kids while at the same time have taken them to R rated films I thought were fine.

The problem is the goal of correctly rating a movie vs. the simplicity of the rating system. I would like a V (violence), S (sex), L (language), D (drug use) rating for each film. So a film would have a V6S2L1D9 rating.

Of course, most people would then not know what the heck that meant. The majority of people want a simple rating that tells them how appropriate a film is for their kids (adults should be able to go to whatever film they want, based on reviews and such).

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the Passion of the Christ received an R rating and no one complained about that... it **had** to have an R rating--it was bloody violent and just plain brutal. It didn't get the R rating because of the Christian content, it got it simply because of the sheer amount of blood and violence involved and yet, some people still didn't take it seriously (there were interviews done with laypeople who saw it and even though they were desensitized by the violence on today's tv's, they didn't take the R rating as seriously as they should and the violence in the movie--the amount of it---completely shocked people who are not familiar with the storyline).

That said, this movie does deserve a PG rating simply for the reasons stated--parents (who really do care about ratings) want to be warned of what a movie contains. And speaking of God (and let's face it, not everyone is a Christian), is something parents need to know exists within the movie's universe. If the movie had received a G rating (let's say), then parents would have complained that they were not warned about the heavy religious content.

I've got moms (on **that** board) who are saying "well, pretty soon being Christian alone will be a sin"... or rather her exact quote was "eventually being Christian will be the only sin the world recognizes".... as if the fact that this got a PG(based on the standard rating system for movies)has anything to do with being a Christian... why do they take it as such a knock on everything they do? Sheesh...

And funny thing is, I won't be seeing this movie at all. Won't let my kids see it either. They don't need to hear the message from some touchy feely good trumped up my (the director's)opinion of what you should do to be a Christian --movie--to know about Christ.

And someone said that much of the Bible would receive an R rating anyway--gotta tell ya, much of the bible would receive an X rating (the song of solomon, anyone?), including but not limited to: sodom and gomorrah and others...

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon Shadows:
...And someone said that much of the Bible would receive an R rating anyway--gotta tell ya, much of the bible would receive an X rating (the song of solomon, anyone?), including but not limited to: sodom and gomorrah and others...

As my Jesuit Bible course teacher once said, "The Bible is an ADULT book, and you should read it as an adult".

--------------------

Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The MPAA is completely independent and has always been inconsistent; there aren't written guidelines as to what elements in a film will merit a certain rating.

The original Bad News Bears was rated PG, and the profanity in it was pretty much non-stop.

The same with Mel Brooks' Spaceballs. I was actually quite shocked when I saw that movie in the theater and heard the F-word uttered [Eek!] (twice, if memory serves correct).

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bigger question is: could the MPAA be sued for discrimination?

It may deploy its ratings in a very inscrutable manner, but these ratings do have significant economic impacts on films. If it could be proven (or at least strenuously argued) that this film was given a higher rating because of its religious message than another film that also had a religious message and received a G, then that sounds like a case for discrimination.

But maybe, since the being rated is "voluntary" (but often economic suicide to avoid), the MPAA isn't subject to anti-discrimination law.

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

I fail to see how anti-discrimination laws would even apply.

MPAA ratings are voluntary. The MPAA is an independent organization. The MPAA does not have established criteria for why a movie gets what rating. Anti-discrimination laws apply, AFAIK, to employment and housing in this country, and precious little else.

So, yeah...I dunno.

--------------------

Logoboros
We Three Blings

quote:
And speaking of God (and let's face it, not everyone is a Christian), is something parents need to know exists within the movie's universe. If the movie had received a G rating (let's say), then parents would have complained that they were not warned about the heavy religious content.

As I said before, if this film is little more than two hours of proselytizing, then I'm not upset about the rating. But your position seems mighty extreme. How much "God" is too much in a film? Is any depiction of religion off-limits for a G-rated film? If not, where do you draw the line? Is "A Charlie Brown Christmas" a PG film? Maybe. I could understand the argument, but I think it would meet with a lot of resistence.

Of course, there's a difference between presenting religion favorably and aggressively marketing for a distinct set of beliefs.

But, back to the idea of a broader definition of "religious content," what about movies that feature magic and spell-casting? Silly though it may be, recent editorials have shown that the belief in dangerous occult practices is still widespread. Should fundamentalist parents be "warned" via a PG rating that there might be a wizard or fairie in the movie?

I would just say if one really insists that the G rating only be applied to movies that have no chance of changing the child or introducing them to foreign ideas (whether they are religious, political, or imaginary), then what could ever meet those standards? I guess you could set a camera up and point it at the kid and let her watch herself.

--Logoboros

--------------------

--William Blake

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
As I said before, if this film is little more than two hours of proselytizing, then I'm not upset about the rating.

Actually, neither am I, if this is something the MPAA is going to begin to apply evenhandedly.
quote:
How much "God" is too much in a film? Is any depiction of religion off-limits for a G-rated film? If not, where do you draw the line? Is "A Charlie Brown Christmas" a PG film? Maybe. I could understand the argument, but I think it would meet with a lot of resistence.
Exactly. And it seems like there should be some content warning on TV series with spirituality, too. Shows like Little House on the Prairie have an awful lot of prayer and church and even the occasional miracle.
quote:
But, back to the idea of a broader definition of "religious content," what about movies that feature magic and spell-casting? Silly though it may be, recent editorials have shown that the belief in dangerous occult practices is still widespread. Should fundamentalist parents be "warned" via a PG rating that there might be a wizard or fairie in the movie?
Well, they are certainly going to squawk about it. If their ideology starts to earn PG ratings, they'll want everyone else's to.
quote:
I would just say if one really insists that the G rating only be applied to movies that have no chance of changing the child or introducing them to foreign ideas (whether they are religious, political, or imaginary), then what could ever meet those standards? I guess you could set a camera up and point it at the kid and let her watch herself.
Maybe Doug's suggestion isn't such a bad one, or perhaps some adaptation of the UK system that details why a movie was rated what it was. If a PG movie says, "may contain mild spiritual references" or "strong religious themes and occasional proselytizing" it would help parents make an educated choice and give some order to what seems like a pretty subjective system.

--------------------

Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what I am referring to in my statement is the fact that in such cases like Little House, (I would hazard a guess, even if they never watched it)most people KNOW that it contains religious messages--rather, let me remove the word religious and put in "faith" and a "general" faith at that.

No denomination, no label--just straight, bland, everyday "we go to church, we read the bible but we don't actually say the words Jesus, salvation (et al); we just go through mimicing the motions so that anyone watching our show can insert their own interpretation of our faith into their watching pleasure".

With this movie however--it IS a denomination--Baptist (so hence the label and I guess you could say "pinpointing" of a specific belief within the "faith" universe), which **could** lead to issues involving other faiths having a problem with the way the gospel might be portrayed (I am not a baptist, just trying to explain this as best I can--so I do know that baptists are a bit more "lively" in their services, maybe another denomination might have a problem with that representation of how a service should go).

Likewise, let's say someone who has no religion (faith, denomination, et al) watches this movie **before** knowing that it would be all "preachy"--they could rightfully say they were not warned (either by the rating system or some other way) and hence, get someone (ACLU?)involved with the "shoving of the bible down their throats" (not that this movie is going to do this, but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say)....

As to how much God is too much? See, that is subjective as well. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the rating it got, but I could see why they might give it that rating--most parents are informed enough to know that PG=something objectionable. Which in turn, would prompt them to speak or ask about it more so than they **might** with a G rated film.

It also depends on the purpose of the movie. When the Passion was made, Gibson's sole purpose was not to get the "gospel" out there and to preach about it--but rather to "give a visual" of what happened in the bible as far as the crucifixtion was concerned. Now I know some people who refused to see the movie just because their imaginations led them to be able to visualize the brutality Christ suffered. But as Gibson said, many people **don't** grasp ***just how bad*** it really was. Hence, the movie. And in the end, if someone got "saved" from the movie, all the better--but that wasn't the purpose of the movie.

This movie, however, sounds as though its only purpose is another one of those touchy-feely-make-you-cry movies with no other purpose than to preach and save. In other words, made with the express purpose in mind of instilling fear in you that if you "don't do it like we say, you are going to hell so get saved now" kind of thing.

Scare tactics.

Almost as if it is trying to say "see, look at all the wonderous miracles that could occur if only you'd come to Christ"--in which case, the rating would stand as appropriate for "questionable content that parents might need to speak to their children about before watching". Bruce Almighty received the same rating for the same reason.

Whereas, the Passion could be seen as a "documentary" of sorts... this one is preachy. Big difference.

I hope I clarified what I meant....

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

A thought just occurred: without actually, ya know, seeing the movie, isn't it premature to say that a PG rating is unwarranted?

Furthermore, while some theatre chains prevent people under age 17 from seeing rated R movies without an adult, I am aware of no related prohibition for rated PG movies.

--------------------

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Almost as if it is trying to say "see, look at all the wonderous miracles that could occur if only you'd come to Christ"--in which case, the rating would stand as appropriate for "questionable content that parents might need to speak to their children about before watching". Bruce Almighty received the same rating for the same reason.

Bruce Almighty had sexual references and mild profanity, IIRC.

ETA quote.

--------------------

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
A thought just occurred: without actually, ya know, seeing the movie, isn't it premature to say that a PG rating is unwarranted?

I think that's partially what Ryda was getting at when she said she didn't trust the article's POV. That's why I qualified earlier with "if the article is an accurate representation..."

--------------------

Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Should fundamentalist parents be "warned" via a PG rating that there might be a wizard or fairie in the movie?

*smirk* *stifled laughter*
Someone else make the joke here. I can't bring myself to do it.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Legends of the Hidden Jay Temple:
quote:
Should fundamentalist parents be "warned" via a PG rating that there might be a wizard or fairie in the movie?

*smirk* *stifled laughter*
Someone else make the joke here. I can't bring myself to do it.

[lol] Oh dear, you know that'll be next.

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I recently bought a cartoon video for my daughter from television that, unbeknownst to me, had a very strong message from a religion I don't agree with. It also contained scenes with loud spirits that that could easily scare her. There was nothing in the description that alerted me to this. And you know what I thought? Big fat freaking deal. So I'll wait till she's older or give it away to a friend. Should that cartoon have had a PG label on it? [...]

Did it not? I'm curious. I looked around for movies I know which have this theme and the ones I saw generally had PG ratings. Anyway, the ratings system is flawed. You'll never get everyone to agree and I don't think it should be a majority rules kind of thing. I can sympathize with your dissatisfaction. I'm generally dissatisfied for ratings about sex being (IMO) much stricter than those related to violence. However, I don't think it is essentially wrong for the MPAA to consider some religious themes to be worth the mildest form of caution the assosication offers.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zaphod67
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphod67   E-mail zaphod67   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The MPAA changes standards for ratings all the time. THX-1138 was rated PG when it was first released in the 70's, but when re-released a few years ago it got an R. Star Trek The Motion Picture was rated G when it debuted in 79, but the DVD is now rated PG. By todays standards, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Clash of the Titans, Logan's Run and Tarzan and His Mate would all receive R ratings for nudity if they were resubmitted to the MPAA today. (Nudity has become very very bad) But John Carpenter's original movie of The Fog would have a PG13 without a problem. And as for purely thematic content, Vera Drake is rated R for this reason. It has no nudity, violence or profanity. Just a subject matter -- abortion-- that they felt would upset too many people.

--------------------
I have a bad feeling about this.

Posts: 27 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight hijack:

quote:
Originally posted by infoseeker822:
because some parents may not want to teach their child about religion.

I think you're wrong here (although you may meant a different thing). Teaching your children about religion, the concepts, and even a general outline of the major denominations should be IMO a part of introducing the kid to our world as it is. Of course that shouldn't mean full exposure of a 5 year old to any hardline christian channel, nor should you necessary advocate one religion over the others, but I think a basic knowledge about what Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and two or three more actually are saying and how they influenced culture, and for a generally christian society maybe even explaining the differences within christianity between Orthodox, Catholic, Baptist, whatever would help.

(Hijack ends here, please return to your seats)

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages