snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Meat Loaf doesn't recall 'Idol' performance, blames stage fright

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meat Loaf doesn't recall 'Idol' performance, blames stage fright
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember Meat Loaf's performance on "American Idol"? He doesn't.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0526Meat-Loaf-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He's lucky.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never knew that Meat Loaf had TV stage fright. Considering he's been performing for well over thirty years, is it a new syndrome for him?

Personally, I still think "Bat Out Of Hell" is a brilliant guilty pleasure of an album, and Loaf had at one time one of the most distinctive voices in rock. I even once taught myself "Hot Patootie-Bless My Soul" on guitar, I was such a fan. He also turned out to be quite the solid actor too, see "Fight Club" for evidence of that. But he looked and sounded pretty wretched on the American Idol finale; I was wondering what was up.

Max "get back in front, put some hair oil on" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never knew that either. I know he did some stage acting before he went into music, so that is suprising. I, too, consider Bat I a wonderfully guilty pleasure, but it continues to amaze me that he could - admittedly with a lot of help from his friends - come up with one great album and then never pull off much of anything worth listening to again.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why you are calling Bat Out Of Hell a "guilty pleasure". It's a fantastic album, a great example of classic rock.

Furthermore, while Meat never really put out another album on the level of Bat I, he certainly put out a whole load of great songs. His Greatest Hits collection is fantastic listening.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that does explain a lot about that performance. I know a lot of people (and several on this board) were wondering what the heck was wrong with him that night.

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
I don't see why you are calling Bat Out Of Hell a "guilty pleasure". It's a fantastic album, a great example of classic rock.

Furthermore, while Meat never really put out another album on the level of Bat I, he certainly put out a whole load of great songs. His Greatest Hits collection is fantastic listening.

I am so happy to come across another person who can like the Dead Kennedys and Meat Loaf...Good music is good music.

As I recall, ML was quite the drinker. Whether it was full-on alcoholism or just a crutch to get through a performance I don't know.It is conceivable that without half a bottle of Jack under his belt, he does have stage fright (and he specifies TV)

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I remember on VH1's behind the music he drank to get over stage freight. But it's been a few years since I saw it.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can catch Meat Loaf's, er, performance on YouTube. I went there as soon as I heard about this (so not an Idol fan) and noticed that the man seemed calm, collected, totally at home on stage.

Then he started singing.

I'm not a music expert, but I don't think the man hit one decent note. It also put all that trembling into a rather frightening context--knowing that he was terrified made me really wonder if he was going to keel. My heart went out to him. Bad enough he was performing in this dog-and-pony show. I don't think he had enough of a chance to rehearse either.

There will never be another album to replace Bat II on the #1 spot, far as I'm concerned, and once you've done that, you're allowed to fray around the edges a bit. A man of Meat Loaf's talents is entirely permitted to have his best years behind him, and to hand in a bum performance every once in a while without it reflecting poorly on his other work. (Anyone remember Simon le Bon blowing out his voice during Live Aid?)

Analysis: It's Simon Cowell's fault. Picket his house.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me among those who ask, "Guilty pleasure? What do you mean guilty pleasure?" 'Bat Out of Hell' has a prominent place in my CD rack.

The man had it (What a voice!) and still might in a different setting.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Linkie.

I love Meat Loaf, but damn, what the hell was that??

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"It's All Coming Back to Me Now"?

*snort*

Bwahahaha!!!

M(eat Loaf)OMANK!!!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that the song he sang? Well, it was written by the same guy who wrote all the songs on the Bat out of Hell albums, so the connection is logical enough. That doesn't sound like his style at all, though!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the comments on Remarkgullabull's link said that he had just gotten out of heart surgery that week. Not bad for a guy who's still on the mend.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages