snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Penn Jillette names son Zolten after Dracula's dog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Penn Jillette names son Zolten after Dracula's dog
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After naming their first-born girl Moxie CrimeFighter, comedian Penn Jillette and wife came up with something a bit more mainstream for their new son - Zolten Penn.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0523Jillette-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would have been cooler for him to name his kid 'Fang', after the dog in the Chick tracts. (Yes, thank you, I realize that I have an unhealthy obsession with Fang. Now leave me alone.)

I actually think 'Moxie' is a cute name (not Crimefighter, though), but 'Zoltan' is just going to make people think he's from another planet.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Zolten is a common Hungarian name, it's my wife's maiden name and most importantly, it's the name of Dracula's dog," Jillette, the 51-year-old larger half of the comedy-and-magic duo Penn & Teller, said in a statement.
Um, no, ZoltAN is a common first name in Hungary. And Zoltan is the name in the movie I think they are refering to, Zoltan: Hound of Dracula.

ETA-The first time I was introduced to a Zoltan, I had to bite my lip. It sounded like a comic book hero to me. All I could think was "Zoltan! Defender of the Universe!"

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Names have their spelling changed slightly all the time, particularly when they cross the Atlantic. There are no hard and fast rules. I think the misspelling is intentional to Americanize the sound of the name a little. ZoltAn is more science fictiony sounding than ZoltEn. And since he says its his wife's maiden name, the actual change goes back a while. It might have been an Ellis Island spelling change back in previous generations. A lot of American surnames dating back to 19th century immigrants are spelled differently, because the immigrant families were not very literate. My own last name is a misspelling of a much more common surname.

As for the "CrimeFighter" thing, most people don't actually use their first and middle names together. Some people use a middle intial, while some don't even bother with the initial. So having a silly middle name doesn't matter nearly as much as first or last name.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew of a high school teacher with the first name of Zolten. I'm not sure what his country of origin was though.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
Names have their spelling changed slightly all the time, particularly when they cross the Atlantic. There are no hard and fast rules. I think the misspelling is intentional to Americanize the sound of the name a little...

I recognize that names get changed in America, but that doesn't alter the fact that "Zolten" is not itself a "common Hungarian name." If you go to Google.hu and search the magyar oldalak for Zolten, you get 7 hits. Search for Zoltan, and you get 22,595.

American adaptations of foreign names are common enough, but they are adaptations, nonetheless.

I'm being picky from an American standpoint, but not from a Hungarian one. It would be like a Hungarian saying, "Grag is a common American name."

Heck, let's just call him Zoli and be done with it. [Razz]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
[QUOTE]The first time I was introduced to a Zoltan, I had to bite my lip. It sounded like a comic book hero to me. All I could think was "Zoltan! Defender of the Universe!"

Watch him defeat the evil Grag! [lol]

Seriously, I'm glad you said that, because Zoltan makes me giggle, and I thought I was just being provincial.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
[QUOTE]The first time I was introduced to a Zoltan, I had to bite my lip. It sounded like a comic book hero to me. All I could think was "Zoltan! Defender of the Universe!"

Watch him defeat the evil Grag! [lol]
[lol]

--------------------

Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was an episode of "Trading Spouses." One of the couples had a son named Zebulon... [Razz]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt named their daughter Shiloh.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So we know the name of Dracula's puppy... There must be some vampire glurge here somewhere. [Big Grin]
On the other hand, I suggested to my very good friend that she names her newborn Vladislav in a sucessful attempt to Draculize the future generation. (insert a fanged smiley here)

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They should do an episode of Bullshit on the stupid names celebrities give their kids.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question about Penn and Teller pretty much irrelevant to the OP. I've never seen their act, but I was watching them host a TMC movie evening. I didn't see the whole thing, just the middle two movies. Teller didn't speak the entire time. Is this part of their act? Is this why the host never even seemed to direct a question at Teller? It just seemed a bit odd.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Teller never speaks; it is part of the act because I'm pretty sure he can talk. Really, Penn is so chatty does Teller really need to speak? [Wink]

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was an episode of "Trading Spouses." One of the couples had a son named Zebulon... [Razz]

What's wrong with Zebulon? I had a perfectly respectable ancestor named Zebulon.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snoozn:
I have a question about Penn and Teller pretty much irrelevant to the OP. I've never seen their act, but I was watching them host a TMC movie evening. I didn't see the whole thing, just the middle two movies. Teller didn't speak the entire time. Is this part of their act? Is this why the host never even seemed to direct a question at Teller? It just seemed a bit odd.

Yeah, it's part of their act. Teller can speak perfectly well, and I've seen him interviewed (amazingly, without Penn present) for other TV documentaries and biographies.

The realized early in their act that Penn was so loquacious and exuberant that Teller could play sort of a Harpo Marx role and it would draw more attention if he never spoke.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
Originally posted by snoozn:

Yeah, it's part of their act. Teller can speak perfectly well, and I've seen him interviewed (amazingly, without Penn present) for other TV documentaries and biographies.

The realized early in their act that Penn was so loquacious and exuberant that Teller could play sort of a Harpo Marx role and it would draw more attention if he never spoke.

I heard Teller speak before. However I could swear he spoke in the presence of Penn. Maybe I imagined this.
You mentioned early in their career Teller went the way of Harpo Marx for his role. So perhaps he did speak at one point while doing a show. Seems like he spoke but very little. Maybe I am just all confused.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw Teller speak once, during a documentary on Harry Houdini. However, they concealed his face in darkness. I found it kind of amusing that they would go to that length to ensure that he was never "seen" speaking publicly.
Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karmyn:
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt named their daughter Shiloh.

Are you joking? I mean...

Well, it's just that I've been using the phrase "Shile of Pit" for years as a spoonerism for something nasty!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:

What's wrong with Zebulon? I had a perfectly respectable ancestor named Zebulon.
And let us not forget Zebulon Pike.

I have a friend whose husband is called "Zeb." I've never known his whole name. Anyone want to bet it's "Zebulon?"

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages